Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Trae Young looks amazing at the college level, but I wonder how he will translate to the pros. Nobody on Oklahoma State could guard him... even their so called defensive stopper looked like Lopez trying to guard him. His FT shooting looked Hardenesque... it was like an automated machine hitting perfect swishes every shot. On the other hand he seems really small. I think Ball is a better playmaker but that kid's shooting and quick movement reminds me of a young Chris Paul.

no issue with the shot selection?

The guy's shooting %'s and overall efficiency has nosedived in January/conference play. 43 points is just not that impressive when it requires 38 shots. His shot selection cost them that game in overtime....shot multiple 30+ footers with a full shot clock and either tied or within two points.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Trae Young's problem and what will forever separate him from Curry comparatives is that he's a good straight line driver but he has nowhere near Curry's change of direction.

We've seen many "next curry" at the college level without the change of direction and a reliance on step backs because of it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Trae Young's problem and what will forever separate him from Curry comparatives is that he's a good straight line driver but he has nowhere near Curry's change of direction.

We've seen many "next curry" at the college level without the change of direction and a reliance on step backs because of it.

Curry didn't even have Trae Young's change of direction until he was 3 years in the league.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Trae Young looks amazing at the college level, but I wonder how he will translate to the pros. Nobody on Oklahoma State could guard him... even their so called defensive stopper looked like Lopez trying to guard him. His FT shooting looked Hardenesque... it was like an automated machine hitting perfect swishes every shot. On the other hand he seems really small. I think Ball is a better playmaker but that kid's shooting and quick movement reminds me of a young Chris Paul.

no issue with the shot selection?

The guy's shooting %'s and overall efficiency has nosedived in January/conference play. 43 points is just not that impressive when it requires 38 shots. His shot selection cost them that game in overtime....shot multiple 30+ footers with a full shot clock and either tied or within two points.

First game I watched him... he seemed like he was on a mediocre team where he needed to assert himself. His stroke looks good but I don't whether he can get the shot off against NBA quality defense.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Gotta give coach k credit.
He transitioned into the one and done mode and he's recruited some studs over the past few years. Welcome to Duke, Zion.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Zion Williams, the #3 high school player in the draft is joining the #1 (R.J. Barrett) and #2 (Cam Reddish) high school players in the country at Duke....that is just silly. It's even better that they are all 3 smaller forwards
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Zion Williams, the #3 high school player in the draft is joining the #1 (R.J. Barrett) and #2 (Cam Reddish) high school players in the country at Duke....that is just silly. It's even better that they are all 3 smaller forwards

Williamson is clearly a PF and Barrett can give you minutes at SG.

But the big takeaway is that Coach K's underlings are paying some folks. I'm ok with that, but dude is going to go down as an ESPN saint, and when the hagiographers compare him to Wooden and bring up Sam Gilbert, I hope the FBI has some taped conversations of Jon Scheyer lying around.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:

But the big takeaway is that Coach K's underlings are paying some folks. I'm ok with that, but dude is going to go down as an ESPN saint, and when the hagiographers compare him to Wooden and bring up Sam Gilbert, I hope the FBI has some taped conversations of Jon Scheyer lying around.

Zion Williamson is a PF that is tall as many SG's @ 6'6". He is actually shorter than Barrett and Reddish who are 6'7". On top of that, they signed Tre Jones (PG) who is #8....and still in the running for Center Moses Brown (#21)....they could have a Fab 5 starting next year.

Something is going on @ Duke....sorry, but I just can't buy all three of those guys choose the same school....I would think this has to bring some heat and scrutiny on the program. Honestly, I hate this crap....not about getting those top guys but it literally forces guys like Gary Trent Jr., Wendell Carter Jr., and Trevon Duval out the door.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Zion Williamson is a PF that is tall as many SG's @ 6'6". He is actually shorter than Barrett and Reddish who are 6'7". On top of that, they signed Tre Jones (PG) who is #8....and still in the running for Center Moses Brown (#21)....they could have a Fab 5 starting next year.

Something is going on @ Duke....sorry, but I just can't buy all three of those guys choose the same school....I would think this has to bring some heat and scrutiny on the program. Honestly, I hate this crap....not about getting those top guys but it literally forces guys like Gary Trent Jr., Wendell Carter Jr., and Trevon Duval out the door.

Draymond is a 6'7 C; Ben Simmons is a 6'10 PG. Zion is 6'6 270. Guys who break the mold are often the most fun to follow, so help me Magic and Chuck.

Remember K criticizing Calipari's one and done system a few years back? He's a competitive duche and decided to stick it to Cal at his own game, and that means cycling out the Gary Trents and Trevon Duvals before the next group of star freshmen show up as you note. My question is going to be how K gets four ball dominant freshmen to mesh next season without potentially affecting guys' draft position.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Quickness
with finishing knack
got the knack
off-time floaters, all types
connecting multiple moves, he beat him on the last one
little guy slithery like Thomas!
slithery with finishing!
finishing knack!!!
Yank!
omg

42% from 3, off the dribble, NBA range.. freshman... This kid is as good as Freshman Isaiah Thomas, and taller/longer. Wow and they went to the same high school!

I've been watching some of his highlights and I am sold!
He has one of the best hands too!
but do you think we can get him with Denver pick???
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Curry didn't develop a lot of his moves until his final year in college and especially in the pros. IMO the hoop IQ really separates these two. I'm just not a big fan of Young's decision making whether it's in shooting or playmaking. He can still end up Curry level because of his development by age, but I just don't see it.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Leaning towards Bagley not being an elite prospect, 8-10 for me, shooting is vital.

Where would you take Simmons or Giannis in a redraft?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Leaning towards Bagley not being an elite prospect, 8-10 for me, shooting is vital.

Cmon. A 6'10 PG. And a long/skilled 6'11 point-forward.. Bagley isn't a skill+freak like that.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Thought the title said we had Denver's 2nd round pick.
The cake is a lie I guess...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Trader Rob is gonna a 1st round pick.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
manlisten wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Cmon. A 6'10 PG. And a long/skilled 6'11 point-forward.. Bagley isn't a skill+freak like that.

Didn’t he freak go around 15th in his draft? At the time he was just an athlete, nowhere near the product he is now. Bagley is more put together than the freak was at his age.

Bagley goes top 3 in my opinion.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Trader Rob is gonna a 1st round pick.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

A solid overview of Mo Bamba's strength and multiple weaknesses:

The Ringer
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Nike Basketball + USA Basketball have such a huge influence over college bball recruiting, and it's no question that coach K rules over those two domains. On top of that, Jeff Capel is somehow a recruiting god. TBH i wouldn't be surprised if Capel is dirty but i'm sure Coach K has built an impregnable wall of deniability around any sort of unsavory behavior.

in any case, trent, carter, and duval all knew the score when they committed - they are using Duke as a platform to the NBA as 1 and dones, and Duke is using them for their 1 year together. It's all a mutual understanding, and if you don't pan out like a Chase Jeter type, then boy it's time to transfer.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Moses Brown to UCLA. I doubt he would've started over Marques Bolden if he had gone to Duke.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Moses Brown to UCLA. I doubt he would've started over Marques Bolden if he had gone to Duke.

I actually forgot about Marques Bolden...guy has not lived up to expectations....he was supposed to be a one and done....was 14th best player in country (#1 Center) coming out of high school 2 years ago.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
manlisten wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Didn’t he freak go around 15th in his draft? At the time he was just an athlete, nowhere near the product he is now. Bagley is more put together than the freak was at his age.

Bagley goes top 3 in my opinion.

Sure he probably goes top 5. But I just see him as a quicker skinny Randle who may be a mediocre rebounder because he's so skinny

The PF/C from MSU think it's Jackson, I like him a good deal. I'll even take the other PF Bridges over Bagley at the next level.. shooting is a game opener/closer for me in the NBA, too important
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

JJin77 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Quickness
with finishing knack
got the knack
off-time floaters, all types
connecting multiple moves, he beat him on the last one
little guy slithery like Thomas!
slithery with finishing!
finishing knack!!!
Yank!
omg

42% from 3, off the dribble, NBA range.. freshman... This kid is as good as Freshman Isaiah Thomas, and taller/longer. Wow and they went to the same high school!

I've been watching some of his highlights and I am sold!
He has one of the best hands too!
but do you think we can get him with Denver pick???

I'm not sure people think he's gunna declare... But ya he's special for a freshman. You couldn't track the route of the next Damon Stoudamire any more accurately than him right now.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I actually forgot about Marques Bolden...guy has not lived up to expectations....he was supposed to be a one and done....was 14th best player in country (#1 Center) coming out of high school 2 years ago.

The HS ratings services seem to consistently overvalue the upside of raw bigs like Bolden and now Moses Brown. Both of them are projects, they're athletic, but not freakishly so, and like Bolden at Duke, Brown should be a 2-3 year player at UCLA.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewforum.php?f=1

he's working hard but can't do much about having better players at his position come in as one and done recruits every year. expect him to have follow the amile jefferson/lance thomas type career at duke as highly touted recruits who didn't blossom until later in their career and eventually making to the league as an undrafted guy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 16 of 494
Jump to: