OFFICIAL Alex The Pope Caruso Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 130, 131, 132  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Just realized Caruso has big hands. Can palm the basketball easily.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Funny that less than a week ago he was being thrashed and being grouped with Ennis and Brewer as a guy who should never get playing time A shame how quickly and easily a fan base will turn on a player who's shown production in the past. Caruso's recent, strong play shouldn't be surprising. He played well in both SL and preseason and people were singing his praises.

He may not have looked too impressive in his short stints in the pros until recently, but he's also spent a considerable amount of time in the G-League this season. He's had a limited amount of time to develop chemistry with the team. Plus, it seemed like he was mostly getting minutes with either three-guard lineups or with other ball dominant guards, which took him off the ball. He's a lot closer to being a pure point guard than a combo guard and he's much more comfortable when he's the primary ball handler who's running the team.

I've always hoped that Luke would use him as Lonzo's replacement in the starting lineup. Ennis has effectively earned the right to stay glued to the bench.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Caruso needs to become a knockdown 3or shooter. Will make a big difference in his having a legit NBA career or not.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Funny that less than a week ago he was being thrashed and being grouped with Ennis and Brewer as a guy who should never get playing time A shame how quickly and easily a fan base will turn on a player who's shown production in the past. Caruso's recent, strong play shouldn't be surprising. He played well in both SL and preseason and people were singing his praises.

He may not have looked too impressive in his short stints in the pros until recently, but he's also spent a considerable amount of time in the G-League this season. He's had a limited amount of time to develop chemistry with the team. Plus, it seemed like he was mostly getting minutes with either three-guard lineups or with other ball dominant guards, which took him off the ball. He's a lot closer to being a pure point guard than a combo guard and he's much more comfortable when he's the primary ball handler who's running the team.

I've always hoped that Luke would use him as Lonzo's replacement in the starting lineup. Ennis has effectively earned the right to stay glued to the bench.

I mean Ennis has shown who he is. Brewer too.
Caruso also sucked early on, but at least he's still young. He's still 23.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

He kinda picked apart the Knicks defense with ease
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Judah wrote:

Exactly. My only issue with Caruso early on was that he was trying too hard to defer and distribute forcefully rather than just naturally making decisions within the flow of the game like he did in SL. Now he's taking what the defense gives him. His upside is way higher than Ennis because of his measurables, athleticism and he is a willing defender. Caruso has the tools to succeed in this system backing up Lonzo, for sure.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

I like Caruso a lot. One of the biggest positives is the fact that he's Lonzo-lite, which means that when Lonzo returns, Luke can (hopefully) allow Caruso to run the 2nd unit. This should allow Luke to have both the 1st and 2nd units runs similar sets, which should improve the chemistry and interchangeability of the team as a whole. I've never been a fan of the fact that Luke has his 2 units running different sets. Caruso can help with that issue.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject:

He sure looks like a keeper as a 2nd stringer. Much better than Ennis who may get cut to make room for Caruso.

Love the way the ball moves with him on the court. He also has more hops than one would think.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:

DX's draft measurements database is now behind the ESPN paywall, so I unfortunately can't find his hand size info.

Anyway, it's fun to have two Statue of Liberty dunkers in Larry and the Pope.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

best part about Caruso is he can maintain the pace Zo plays out while playing similar stylistically. Might bring more stability and cohesion between the two units, rather than the "two-playbooks, two-teams" style Luke has been running.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I saw Caruso during Summer League so I was higher on him than most and I cannot deny he was bad during his first nervous appearances. He bricked a few wide open jumpers and he threw away quite a few passes. The Knicks game was the first time I saw him relax and play like the guy I saw last summer. So I don't blame those who were hard on him who didn't watch Summer League because he was really poor until the last two games.

I just read that Luke views him as a rotational player, and I hope we sign him up before someone else gets him.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Judah wrote:

Ennis is 23 also, and had a really good run with us last year. I think only time will tell what the "norm" will be for both. Hopefully the Carouso we're seeing is the real deal, and we get the Ennis that hit 39% from 3 back.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
tox wrote:
Judah wrote:

Ennis is 23 also, and had a really good run with us last year. I think only time will tell what the "norm" will be for both. Hopefully the Carouso we're seeing is the real deal, and we get the Ennis that hit 39% from 3 back.

I didn't realize Ennis is 23. Thanks for hte correction. Yeah I mean Ennis would be serviceable if he could hit 39% but it's looking like a fluke. If he can't shoot 3s I don't know what he does better than Caruso.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
tox wrote:
Judah wrote:

The problem with Ennis is that everyone last season stunk at defense. So he blended right in on that side of the court. When he was excelling at offense, it was a nice sight to see. However, now that the team has more willing defenders and plays defense much better than last season, he sticks out like a sore thumb and his presence out there destroys any defensive shape the team has. That's a huge problem. To top it off, he's not delivering offensively either, save for a few games this season. Caruso is a much better defender than Ennis will ever be.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:

Are you sure?
Haven't heard Stu mention it. He's usually very fascinated with hands.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

More comfortable with Caruso on the floor over Ennis.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

The team tends to play better the more minutes he gets.

Coaches will hate, but eventually the guys who are most effective get the minutes. Caruso is for real LG Dogs! (I think at least in a limited back up role!)
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

more minutes for the bald eagle less minutes for that other dude.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

anyone have the update on his 45 days? Has to be getting close. There was a website that I think use to track 2 way deals.....but it appears to no longer be active.

https://2ways10days.com/
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The team tends to play better the more minutes he gets.

Coaches will hate, but eventually the guys who are most effective get the minutes. Caruso is for real LG Dogs! (I think at least in a limited back up role!)

After the break, I hope we don't see Ennis anymore, there will be absolutely no reason to play him...
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
anyone have the update on his 45 days? Has to be getting close. There was a website that I think use to track 2 way deals.....but it appears to no longer be active.

https://2ways10days.com/

According to Ben Rosales, it was around 20 days on January 23rd
https://twitter.com/brosales12/status/956047538607534081
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

He's definitely a solid backup going forward. Has similar qualities to Lonzo.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Calming effect out there, smart player and capable backup PG.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Zach Lavine locked him up, tho.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

IMO it's a good thing the FO locked this kid into a two-way contract because another team would have already signed him to a contract.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 130, 131, 132  Next
Page 23 of 132
Jump to: