Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 506, 507, 508 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Why Luke called for KCP to take the last free throws despite sitting on the bench the entire 4th quarter:

Quote:
@taniaganguli

KCP is the Lakers' best free throw shooter.

Yea.
BI should have shot them right?
Give me a break.
Either way, whoever missed them, we would be pissed.

BI actually has made 2 clutch free throws not too long ago.

Luke calling KCP’s number at the end was horrible. James Worthy even said “why put him back in the game? He’s cold.”

Clarkson was probably the best choice.

How much does being cold affect muscle memory?
Don't most coaches bring in their best ft shooters for that situation?
Like Sasha?

I'm actually surprised people are questioning the move.

Bringing KCP is fine, but calling for the play to be KCP isn’t.

JC should’ve taken the FTs. He just made 2 FTs the possession prior to Hart and he’s shooting the same percentage 76% as KCP.

Well he missed both free throws, so I guess being cold did affect his muscle memory

Is it a proven stat?
Or are you going off one game?

Last edited by epak on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I was wondering how bad the talk toward luke would be before I got online. Disappointing how quickly we are to jump the negative.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Why Luke called for KCP to take the last free throws despite sitting on the bench the entire 4th quarter:

Quote:
@taniaganguli

Yea.
Give me a break.

Luke calling KCP’s number at the end was horrible. James Worthy even said “why put him back in the game? He’s cold.”

JC was probably the best choice, he’s tied with KCP for Laker’s FT best at 76% plus he’s warmed up and just made 2 FTs a few possessions prior.

Agreed. That was idiotic. He puts KCP in at the end who is cold from sitting and who choked in this exact situation a few games ago.

KCP proceeds to then miss both FTs- just like last time. Dude is very clearly not clutch. Big difference between hitting FTs during the first 46 minutes of the game and the last 2 minutes of a tight game. The ball had to be in JC's or Kuz's hands.

If it was one of our young guys who is going to be part of the long-term future I could almost see it with the justification that you're showing the guy you have faith in him, but KCP isn't part of the long-term plan.

Throwing the ball into the backcourt was the right idea if the play had gone to JC or Kuzma. KCP ? You've got to be kidding me.

They won because Marcus Smart's shot was even dumber than Luke putting in KCP in that situation.

On another note:

I was glad to see Luke get the ball out of Kyrie's hands, though, so at least he's learning some lessons along the way, after letting Lou roast them singlehandedly in that clips game. So that's progress.

Oh and Buck Foston. Great win, even if they had to overcome Luke at the end.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
@taniaganguli

Yea.
Give me a break.

Like Sasha?

JC should’ve taken the FTs. He just made 2 FTs the possession prior to Hart and he’s shooting the same percentage 76% as KCP.

Well he missed both free throws, so I guess being cold did affect his muscle memory

Is it a proven stat?
Or do you wanna go off one game?

It's always gonna be Luke's fault according to many here. If JC went to the line and missed the 2 free throws then people will be saying why not bring in the best free throw shooter (KCP). So it's a no win situation with many of the people that are against Luke.

Just enjoy the win. We just beat one of the best teams in the league and guess what? Luke Walton coached the team that did it. So let's give him some credit.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm confused, Gangulia tweeted that out before the game actually ended. It's likely they tried to get it into JC but he was covered by Smart. Lakers really had no "good" free throw shooters on the floor at that time aside from JC and Kuz. Putting in your best free throw shooter is fine even if he was on the bench. It's on KCP to make those
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
@taniaganguli

Yea.
Give me a break.

Like Sasha?

Is it a proven stat?

C’mon epak. Even for you to be asking this is silly.

Like “um, yeah they make stats for sitting on the bench cold this coz everything has to be about what stats says, forget about feel for the game”.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
@taniaganguli

Yea.
Give me a break.

JC was probably the best choice, he’s tied with KCP for Laker’s FT best at 76% plus he’s warmed up and just made 2 FTs a few possessions prior.

Agreed. That was idiotic. He puts KCP in at the end who is cold from sitting and who choked in this exact situation a few games ago.

KCP proceeds to then miss both FTs- just like last time. Dude is very clearly not clutch. Big difference between hitting FTs during the first 46 minutes of the game and the last 2 minutes of a tight game. The ball had to be in JC's or Kuz's hands.

If it was one of our young guys who is going to be part of the long-term future I could almost see it with the justification that you're showing the guy you have faith in him, but KCP isn't part of the long-term plan.

Throwing the ball into the backcourt was the right idea if the play had gone to JC or Kuzma. KCP ? You've got to be kidding me.

They won because Marcus Smart's shot was even dumber than Luke putting in KCP in that situation.

On another note:

I was glad to see Luke get the ball out of Kyrie's hands, though, so at least he's learning some lessons along the way, after letting Lou roast them singlehandedly in that clips game. So that's progress.

Oh and Buck Foston. Great win, even if they had to overcome Luke at the end.

Just a +1, though I think Luke had some smart rotations tonight that helped the team win (along with some smart set plays, a few key doubles, etc.)
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
@taniaganguli

Yea.
Give me a break.

Like Sasha?

Is it a proven stat?

Like “um, yeah they make stats for sitting on the bench cold this coz everything has to be about what stats says, forget about feel for the game”.

I guess I should have said data.
I'm sure someone's done a study on it. Will Google to see if it's published.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
The amount of (bleep) that goes on in the game thread during a WIN against the best team in the East is embarrassing. Yeah, Luke has clearly lost the team and is doing everything wrong considering they've won 7 of their last 9.

Don't blame the players who are the actually, you know, the ones missing the damn free throws...

This place is interesting. There becomes a sort of groupthink, where everybody agrees about how terrible everything is, so we must fire Luke immediately. Because ( fill in the blank recently fired NBA coach) will make such a difference.

He just beat Brad Stevens with a group of kids and some D league players.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject:

People need to give Luke credit. This team was awful not long ago with all the injuries. Looked like they couldn't win without Lonzo. People were questioning if they had quit on him. And now they've won 7 of the last 9.

The free throw shooting is atrocious though. They need to remedy that ASAP.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
It's likely they tried to get it into JC but he was covered by Smart. Lakers really had no "good" free throw shooters on the floor at that time aside from JC and Kuz. Putting in your best free throw shooter is fine even if he was on the bench. It's on KCP to make those

Watch the replay, Caruso who inbounded the ball was already looking at KCP the moment the refs gave him the ball, KCP then dashed to the backcourt as soon as the whistle blew and got the pass from Caruso 1 second into the ref’s count. The play was drew up for KCP intentionally. Not JC, not Kuzma.

My assertion is it’s okay for Luke to bring his best FT shooters in the game. B

But to intentionally call the play for a guy who’s been sitting on the bench for the quarter to take the clutch shot is very questionable, especially when Luke had JC who shoots the same FT% as KCP and had just made 2 clutch FTs on a previous possession not too long ago.

It wasn’t just James Worthy questioning it post-game, but watching the replay again right now even Brent Barry questioned the play being called for KCP during the broadcast saying “Interesting thing about KCP stepping on the line is that he’s been sitting on the bench for quite some time”.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

I would give Luke credit though that he stuck with the bench in the 4th and ride them for that lead. He even subbed Randle back in for Nance which I thought was a good move.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
The Logo wrote:
It's likely they tried to get it into JC but he was covered by Smart. Lakers really had no "good" free throw shooters on the floor at that time aside from JC and Kuz. Putting in your best free throw shooter is fine even if he was on the bench. It's on KCP to make those

Watch the replay, Caruso who inbounded the ball was already looking at KCP the moment the refs gave him the ball, KCP then dashed to the backcourt as soon as the whistle blew and got the pass from Caruso 1 second into the ref’s count. The play was drew up for KCP intentionally. Not JC, not Kuzma.

But to intentionally call the play for a guy who’s been sitting on the bench for the quarter to take the clutch shot is very questionable, especially when Luke had JC who shoots the same FT% as KCP and had just made 2 clutch FTs on a previous possession not too long ago.

It wasn’t just James Worthy questioning it post-game, but watching the replay again right now even Brent Barry questioned the play being called for KCP during the broadcast saying “Interesting thing about KCP stepping on the line is that he’s been sitting on the bench for quite some time”.

That's fair, I forgot that he dashed in the backcourt to get the pass from Caruso. That being said though, Lakers also had plenty of other times to ice the game from guys who were on the floor already. Kuz, Hart, and Nance all missed at least one pivotal free throw to keep Boston in the game
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
The Logo wrote:

That's fair, I forgot that he dashed in the backcourt to get the pass from Caruso. That being said though, Lakers also had plenty of other times to ice the game from guys who were on the floor already. Kuz, Hart, and Nance all missed at least one pivotal free throw to keep Boston in the game

Slight correction, JC was perfect 4-4 FTs in the final 30 seconds of the game. More reason to draw the play for him.

But youre right that other Lakers missed a lot of pivotal FTs. Nance was 1-4 (25%), Kuz was 2-3 (66%), Hart was 0-2 (0%) down the stretch.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Luke seems to like calling KCP’s number to take the clutch/game winning ice in my veins shots. That’s quite a number of plays now he’s drawn up for KCP.

Was KCP ever clutch in Detroit or something?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

We were down 88-82 and Kuzma went off. Kuzma is not Kobe though, and can't bail a coach out every night. The only thing good about this game is the Kuzma show starting at 82-88 on my dvr.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Slight correction, JC was perfect 4-4 FTs in the final 30 seconds of the game. More reason to draw the play for him.

But youre right that other Lakers missed a lot of pivotal FTs. Nance was 1-4 (25%), Kuz was 2-3 (66%), Hart was 0-2 (0%) down the stretch.

Luke has stated that on those after timeout inbounds there are a progression of plays they could utilize, I wouldn’t doubt that plan A was to get the ball to clarkson and one of the contingency plays was for kcp to leak to the backcourt to inbound if they couldn’t get it to clarkson. I think if all us fans knew that clarkson had hit those 4-4 then surely luke wouldve known, as well as Stevens.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Luke seems to like calling KCP’s number to take the clutch/game winning ice in my veins shots. That’s quite a number of plays now he’s drawn up for KCP.

Was KCP ever clutch in Detroit or something?

Good point. He this season's LouWill in game winning opportunities.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Luke has stated that on those after timeout inbounds there are a progression of plays they could utilize, I wouldn’t doubt that plan A was to get the ball to clarkson and one of the contingency plays was for kcp to leak to the backcourt to inbound if they couldn’t get it to clarkson. I think if all us fans knew that clarkson had hit those 4-4 then surely luke wouldve known, as well as Stevens.

You can still check the replays on Spectrum or watch the film here, slightly blurry, and see for yourself what plan A was: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1cqOcBRXk the 13:40 mark the instant when Caruso picks up his head and looks to a leaking KCP after getting the ball to inbounds, then 1 second later at 13:41 was when the pass was made. There was no real progression of plays to break down plans A through D otherwise Caruso would’ve used up some more time from the 5 sec inbounds to wait for a real plan A to develop.

Believe me, I would love to believe that, honestly. But hey at least the silver lining is that KCP at least closed on Smart enough for him to miss the potential game winner.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

There was a study done in 2013/2014 on the hot hand theory not the same situation as free throws but it's close

"Once the young researchers completed their analysis, out popped a hot hand — well, a warm one, at least. All else being equal, they found that an NBA player who hits four shots in a row is about 2 percent more likely to hit his next one than one who has hit just two of his last four shots. This translates to about one percentage point. So if a player normally shoots 45 percent from the field, the SportVU data suggests that, after four makes, even controlling for shot difficulty, he will be a 46-percent shooter on his next shot."

https://www.thecut.com/2016/08/how-researchers-discovered-the-basketball-hot-hand.html
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

There was a study done in 2013/2014 on the hot hand theory not the same situation as free throws but it's close

"Once the young researchers completed their analysis, out popped a hot hand — well, a warm one, at least. All else being equal, they found that an NBA player who hits four shots in a row is about 2 percent more likely to hit his next one than one who has hit just two of his last four shots. This translates to about one percentage point. So if a player normally shoots 45 percent from the field, the SportVU data suggests that, after four makes, even controlling for shot difficulty, he will be a 46-percent shooter on his next shot."

https://www.thecut.com/2016/08/how-researchers-discovered-the-basketball-hot-hand.html

Yea. Seems a bit different in situation.
But appreciate the info. I love how all these things are studied.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject:

Turnovers last 3 games: 10, 6, 14
Keep it lowm
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
We were down 88-82 and Kuzma went off. Kuzma is not Kobe though, and can't bail a coach out every night. The only thing good about this game is the Kuzma show starting at 82-88 on my dvr.

Posts like this are just

Luke gets bashed relentlessly when the team loses but little to no credit from the same folks when the team wins. Pride is such a beast. It's just like the folks who made their minds up about Randle after his rookie year. They'd walk on lava with their bare feet before they'd give Randle anything more than a dry, one-line compliment (if that) when he balls out of his mind, which he's done fairly consistently this year. But if he has one bad game? Paragraphs worth of bashing lol.

What a joke.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
epak wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
@taniaganguli

Yea.
Give me a break.

Like Sasha?

Boston didn’t foul JC, it wasn’t our choice.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Posts like this are just

Luke gets bashed relentlessly when the team loses but little to no credit from the same folks when the team wins. Pride is such a beast. It's just like the folks who made their minds up about Randle after his rookie year. They'd walk on lava with their bare feet before they'd give Randle anything more than a dry, one-line compliment (if that) when he balls out of his mind, which he's done fairly consistently this year. But if he has one bad game? Paragraphs worth of bashing lol.

What a joke.

Lesson is that fans are never happy with their coach, I recently read a topic on realGM, and discovered that A LOT of Spurs fans trash Pop, arguably the geatest coach ever...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 506, 507, 508 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 507 of 818
Jump to: