Official Los Angeles Rams Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 70, 71, 72  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Without Wentz looks like the Falcons will probably roll into the NFC championship game.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Refs gift wrapped this game for the falcons

actually cooper provided two gifts
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Without Wentz looks like the Falcons will probably roll into the NFC championship game.

Yeah, With Wentz Philly probably gets to the Super Bowl, without him I don't see them winning next week.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject:

Cooper played the Darvish role tonight. He really put his team in a major hole, as the offense couldn't get on the field and the defense had to stay on the field. The Rams just didn't run enough plays tonight, obviously, and the defense was worn down. I guess playoff inexperience is a real thing.

I could see the Eagles beating the Falcons next week, and I think the public will overreact to this Falcons win. It's going to be tough for the Falcons to win two road games in a row, in my opinion. I still don't think they are that good. But I can't argue with the fact that it's about as good of a matchup as the Falcons could have hoped for in the Divisional round, to get to play a team with a backup QB in there.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

Was a fun time at the game with a crappy outcome. Rams fans sure showed up though. Cooper gave up 10 points all on his own and the Rams played tight and scared, imo. Same type of game they played vs Minnesota.

McVay abandoned the run and got real basic with the offense. No jet sweep motions or ANYTHING out of the ordinary to get ATL on their heels. Disappointing because we've seen this happen in the previous losses this year.
McVay needs to adjust and learn from these games just as much as the players do.

Watkins needs to FIGHT for the catches, he sometimes just seems too casual out there, Higbee isn't all that great, I rather the team develop Everett.
The draft and FA is going to be interesting.

Overall though, the team overachieved BIGTIME and is way ahead of schedule. Looking forward to watching these guys grow and own the division for the next few years.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

74,300 fans showed up so you can't really blame it on the atmosphere. Rams had a 3-5 record at the Coliseum including the playoff game so thats something they will have to work on next year. Rams had an 8-1 record away from the Coliseum so they were obviously a much better road team. Lots of mistakes on offense.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

As a Colts fan I could've told you that resting your starters was a bad idea.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Steve Young speculated that it would take a half to get the offense up to speed after resting them. Maybe Young knows what he is talking about.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

I don't think there is really a right answer to the rest question. We have seen teams that have dominated even though they didn't put in the starters for a game that means nothing before the post-season starts. We have also seen players get injured right before the playoffs and all the momentum they had is basically lost. Rams just didn't play well enough to advance last night.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I don't think there is really a right answer to the rest question. We have seen teams that have dominated even though they didn't put in the starters for a game that means nothing before the post-season starts. We have also seen players get injured right before the playoffs and all the momentum they had is basically lost. Rams just didn't play well enough to advance last night.

I would have played the starters in Week 17 for at least a quarter. I agree with protecting players from injuries, but I also agree with the notion that staying in rhythm is a real thing.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

The issue with the resting is if this team is overall a veteran and battle tested one. For most of the key starters, this was their first postseason game. The ability to be able to take a week off and keep in rhythm is something acquired through experience and time. The Watkins trade looked good on paper and may still be in the long term, but the Rams CB2 spot has been a weak link for that D.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Yep, resting starters last week was really a head scratcher. Why not at least let them play the first half? Someone with decision power dropped the ball big time. Like others said, this team is way too young and inexperienced to expect them to flip that switch one week later.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

I didn't like the matchup for the Rams and felt like Atlanta would be able to use their experience to their advantage.

I thought the mistakes by Cooper really put the Rams on their heels from the start, tough way to end a great season...lots to look forward to, but next year the Rams are prime for regression with a 1st place schedule looming.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I didn't like the matchup for the Rams and felt like Atlanta would be able to use their experience to their advantage.

I thought the mistakes by Cooper really put the Rams on their heels from the start, tough way to end a great season...lots to look forward to, but next year the Rams are prime for regression with a 1st place schedule looming.

I agree about the schedule. Their opponents next season, at least on paper, look difficult. But I do believe in the way that McVay can scheme, and it's a young team, too. As long as Whitworth can keep up this level, they should still be pretty good, even if their record might not be quite 11-5. The good news is that both Seattle and Arizona appear to be backsliding, although the 49ers are clearly on the rise. But the 49er roster still has far more holes than the Rams roster. It will be interesting to see how many holes John Lynch can plug in the offseason in free agency and the draft.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Yep, resting starters last week was really a head scratcher. Why not at least let them play the first half? Someone with decision power dropped the ball big time. Like others said, this team is way too young and inexperienced to expect them to flip that switch one week later.

I agree, sitting them sent the wrong message, they should have played and beaten the crap out of the Forty-Whiners, then if they lost anyway to the Falcons, at least they would have been 12-4 instead of 11-5..!
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

The team scored 51 after their BYE week this year.
I think McVay mentioned this when questioned about resting the guys.

I just think the team wasn't ready for the physicality and pressure of the playoffs. Every mistake is magnified and every possession is key.

McVay also has a tendency to abandon the run when he gets nervous. I had a feeling this was going to be like the Minny game. No real creativity with the play calls, and the Falcons looked like they were sitting on some of the plays as a result.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:

The old experienced dogs won this one. Rest or no rest. It's not easy when you're young and new.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
The team scored 51 after their BYE week this year.
I think McVay mentioned this when questioned about resting the guys.

I just think the team wasn't ready for the physicality and pressure of the playoffs. Every mistake is magnified and every possession is key.

McVay also has a tendency to abandon the run when he gets nervous. I had a feeling this was going to be like the Minny game. No real creativity with the play calls, and the Falcons looked like they were sitting on some of the plays as a result.

I don't think the Rams were ready for the Falcons secondary. They were batting balls away, making life tough for the receivers. Not to mention great tackling fundamentals to prevent them from gaining additional yards if there was a successful reception. Rams just never got into that additional gear you need to in the playoffs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Rams OC Matt LaFleur is getting an interview for the Titans head coaching job. He was the Falcons' QB coach for 2 seasons, working under Kyle Shanahan, before his move to the Rams this past season. I'd bet he has the right ideas in mind, as he's certainly learned a lot from some strong offensive schemers. Of course, who knows if he is ready to be a head coach, but I don't blame the Titans for at least seeing how he conducts himself and what he knows.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Former UCLA OC/interim coach Jedd Fisch joining the Rams as an offensive assistant. He was quite good working with Rosen and pulling magic out of a hat with a terrible OL. I had hoped Kelly could keep him on as both share some offensive philosophies.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Former UCLA OC/interim coach Jedd Fisch joining the Rams as an offensive assistant. He was quite good working with Rosen and pulling magic out of a hat with a terrible OL. I had hoped Kelly could keep him on as both share some offensive philosophies.

Yeah, it's a good hire, and it's also good for staff continuity that LaFleur isn't going anywhere after he interviewed for the Titans' head coaching gig.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Matt LaFleur is isntead going to the Titans.....as OC. So I guess that means Fisch is going to be the OC for the Rams.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/960171039757144065
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

We've got good pieces. Just need to add a few better ones at CB, LB and DE positions IMO.

I was down on Higbee at the start of the season but I thought he showed improvement this season, especially at catching the football.

I'm on the fence about bringing Sammy back. I was excited when we got him and he's done and said all the right things but he and Goff never really clicked. He was a good decoy opening up those intermediate routes for Woods and Kupp and talented and still young. Maybe as the Rams' offense and Goff mature he'll be the deep threat we envisioned.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

We've got good pieces. Just need to add a few better ones at CB, LB and DE positions IMO.

I was down on Higbee at the start of the season but I thought he showed improvement this season, especially at catching the football.

I'm on the fence about bringing Sammy back. I was excited when we got him and he's done and said all the right things but he and Goff never really clicked. He was a good decoy opening up those intermediate routes for Woods and Kupp and talented and still young. Maybe as the Rams' offense and Goff mature he'll be the deep threat we envisioned.

The Rams need to lock down Donald before they get to fixing CB2 (and CB1 if Trumaine Johnson leaves), LB, and DE.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 67 of 72
Jump to: