Baseball HOF adds four: Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, Vladimir Guerrero, and Trevor Hoffman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Baseball HOF adds four: Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, Vladimir Guerrero, and Trevor Hoffman

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/hall-fame-adds-four-chipper-jones-jim-thome-vladimir-guerrero-trevor-hoffman-232609861.html

Quote:
Hall of Fame adds four: Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, Vladimir Guerrero, Trevor Hoffman

The call every baseball player dreams about came Wednesday for four men. Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, Vladimir Guerrero and Trevor Hoffman, baseball greats already, were told that they’re the next to join the game’s most exclusive fraternity — the Hall of Fame.

Jones, the Atlanta Braves legend, led all vote-getters with 97.2 percent, as the 2018 voting results were announced Wednesday. Thome, a member of the 600-homer club and another first-year candidate, made it easily with 89.8 percent.

Two players who just missed last year are now in too. Guerrero, the ever-dangerous free-swinger for the Expos and Angels, with 92.9 percent and Hoffman, one of MLB’s top all-time closers, with 79.9 percent. Seventy-five percent is needed for enshrinement and Hoffman missed by just five votes a year ago.

The player who came close but just missed this year is Edgar Martinez. After getting 70.4 this year, the ex-Seattle Mariners DH now has Cooperstown within his grasp.

Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, Vladimir Guerrero and Trevor Hoffman were elected to the Hall of Fame on Wednesday. (AP)
Other notable results:
• Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens aren’t much closer to Cooperstown. Bonds got 56.4 and Clemens got 57.3, both of which were only small increases from their previous totals, 53.8 and 54.1, respectively. Others from the steroid era are also far away. Sammy Sosa finished at 7.8, Manny Ramirez at 22.0 and Gary Sheffield at 11.1.

• Curt Schilling, whose candidacy has suffered in the past because of his political views, saw a rise in his totals this year, going from 45 percent last year to 51.2.

• Mike Mussina appears to be getting closer as well, as his 63.5 this year is an increase from 51.8 in 2017.

• Notable first-timers include Omar Vizquel, who got 37.0, Scott Rolen, who received 10.2 and Andruw Jones, who stayed on the ballot with 7.3. Five percent of the vote is needed to stick around. Johan Santana and Johnny Damon were among the big names knocked off.

Jack Morris and Alan Trammell were already elected by one of the Hall’s Era Committees, meaning we’ll see a class of six new inductees July 27-30 in Cooperstown.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Vlad was my favorite Angel. He may not have the complete HOF numbers but he made up for it with his personality, character, and charisma both on and off the field. Can't believe the Dodgers passed him up just because he was too poor and skinny.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

I grew up with this era of baseball. Crazy how time flies.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Vlad was my favorite Angel. He may not have the complete HOF numbers but he made up for it with his personality, character, and charisma both on and off the field. Can't believe the Dodgers passed him up just because he was too poor and skinny.

Just like how Pedro was deemed too small to be a big time pitcher. Lasorda's eye test was just awful.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject:

I'm bummed Edgar Martinez still hasn't gotten in, but I think he'll finally make it next season, in his final year of eligibility on the writers' ballot.

Mussina is getting very close, and should get enshrined within the next vote or two. (Deservedly so, also.) And though I hate the guy, Curt Schilling deserves it. Interesting that he actually got less of the vote this time than he did 2 years ago.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Almost nobody voting for Sammy Sosa. Wow.

His prime was so short but I thought Santana deserved more votes because he was so good during his prime. In both of the years he won the Cy Young the votes were unanimous. Also won a triple crown. His career kind of reminds me of Terrell Davis in the NFL who was a star for 3 years and then his career was pretty much over after that.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

His prime was so short but I thought Santana deserved more votes because he was so good during his prime. In both of the years he won the Cy Young the votes were unanimous. Also won a triple crown. His career kind of reminds me of Terrell Davis in the NFL who was a star for 3 years and then his career was pretty much over after that.

Davis was a postseason star. Something Santana hasn't done.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Just like how Pedro was deemed too small to be a big time pitcher. Lasorda's eye test was just awful.

Yep. He was a disaster as the interim GM as well. Trading away Paul Konerko (along with Dennys Reyes) for a freakin' closer that the Dodgers had to pay even more money to convince him to stay because the old idiot didn't know contract rules, leaving a mess that Kevin Malone made worse during his stay when he made Shaw one of the highest paid closers.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Yep. He was a disaster as the interim GM as well. Trading away Paul Konerko (along with Dennys Reyes) for a freakin' closer that the Dodgers had to pay even more money to convince him to stay because the old idiot didn't know contract rules, leaving a mess that Kevin Malone made worse during his stay when he made Shaw one of the highest paid closers.

Good motivator of men and did well with his lineups. But just not a good talent scout and businessman.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Davis was a postseason star. Something Santana hasn't done.

True that made a big difference for Davis. People saw him dominate in the biggest games.

Seems like he was drafted into a situation that couldn’t have been better for him. Several Denver backs put up big numbers in that system, and Davis was surrounded with talent and a qb. I wish he didn’t get injured so quickly after Elway retired so we could see how far he would carry a team without Elway.

I don’t remember Santana being on really talented teams. I just thought he deserved more votes which I’m sure he’d get if he was a Yankee. There was a time when people thought he was the best at an extremely important position. But the HOF voters didn’t seem to think much of that. Super short prime though, unlike Clemens who was dominating in the 80’s and dominating 20 years later.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject:

Didn’t realize Vlad was the first to go in as an Angel.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:

The Dodgers traded away several great pitching prospects in the 80’s and 90’s. The Pedro trade was the worst, but these other names amaze me too.

Quote:
A closer look shows that it was merely the culmination of a 12-year series of trades that stripped the impatient Dodgers of five of their most promising pitching prospects and brought little in return.

Rick Sutcliffe, two years after he won the rookie-of-the-year award, was traded in 1981 for Jorge Orta.

Dave Stewart and John Franco were traded in 1983 for Rick Honeycutt and Rafael Landestoy, respectively.

John Wetteland was packaged with Tim Belcher in 1991 and traded for Eric Davis and Kip Gross.

Then, two years later, Martinez was traded.

Martinez, Sutcliffe and Stewart went on to become three of baseball's best starters. Sutcliffe won a Cy Young Award and Stewart had four consecutive 20-win seasons (but no Cy Young Awards). In addition, Franco and Wetteland went on to become two of baseball's best closers, the bottom lines on championship teams in New York.

The Sutcliffe, Franco and Stewart trades were negotiated by Al Campanis, Claire's predecessor. Claire negotiated the Wetteland and Martinez trades.

The one Dodgers constant in each was Manager Tom Lasorda, who has never been shy about offering an opinion and who often said that the Dodgers couldn't afford to operate a developmental camp in the major market that is Los Angeles.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/22/sports/sp-pedrodelino22
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject:

glad to see Chipper get in....I have actually been around him at private parties and community events more than a handful of times....he mostly always came off as an ok guy (except I can recall one time him acting like a total jerk/dbag...he was about 2 years into his major league career)....but he was a great baseball player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: