Australian Open 2018 - Federer in the finals again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Australian Open 2018 - Federer in the finals again

his SF opponent quit due to a blister

Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Australian Open 2018 - Federer in the finals again

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
his SF opponent quit due to a blister

#mambamentality
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

I haven't followed tennis that much in the last few years but what happened to Novak Djokovic? I read he was upset early. He withdrew from the U.S. Open last year, retired in a match at Wimbledon and lost in the QF at last year's A.O.? I thought he would be on top for awhile with Nadal and Fed declining.

I guess a lot of the new guard still hasn't figured out how to win five-set tournaments yet if vets like Fed (36) and Cilic (29) are still making finals.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I haven't followed tennis that much in the last few years but what happened to Novak Djokovic? I read he was upset early. He withdrew from the U.S. Open last year, retired in a match at Wimbledon and lost in the QF at last year's A.O.? I thought he would be on top for awhile with Nadal and Fed declining.

I guess a lot of the new guard still hasn't figured out how to win five-set tournaments yet if vets like Fed (36) and Cilic (29) are still making finals.

Injuries have permeated the men's game. Novak is still not quite right, with an elbow injury that was clearly affecting his game in Australia, and he took the last few months of the 2017 season off because of it. Andy Murray just underwent hip surgery and won't be back until Wimbledon at the earliest. Stan Wawrinka is still not recovered from his knee problems and was clearly hobbled while trying to play the Australian Open, losing in the early rounds to Tennys Sandgren. Kei Nishikori is playing challenger events as he tries to work his way back from a wrist injury that ended his 2017 season in August. Milos Raonic lost in the first round of the Australian Open, still not in shape after missing the US Open last year because of a wrist injury, and then hurting his knee in November; he basically came into the 2018 season cold and unprepared. We just saw Nadal suffer that hip injury, though it doesn't appear to be serious. All of these guys are fixtures in the top 10.

It's remarkable that Federer is the only top player that we're used to who is fully healthy. And of course, he took the second half of the 2016 season off with his own injury issues.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Go federer!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Injuries have permeated the men's game. Novak is still not quite right, with an elbow injury that was clearly affecting his game in Australia, and he took the last few months of the 2017 season off because of it. Andy Murray just underwent hip surgery and won't be back until Wimbledon at the earliest. Stan Wawrinka is still not recovered from his knee problems and was clearly hobbled while trying to play the Australian Open, losing in the early rounds to Tennys Sandgren. Kei Nishikori is playing challenger events as he tries to work his way back from a wrist injury that ended his 2017 season in August. Milos Raonic lost in the first round of the Australian Open, still not in shape after missing the US Open last year because of a wrist injury, and then hurting his knee in November; he basically came into the 2018 season cold and unprepared. We just saw Nadal suffer that hip injury, though it doesn't appear to be serious. All of these guys are fixtures in the top 10.

It's remarkable that Federer is the only top player that we're used to who is fully healthy. And of course, he took the second half of the 2016 season off with his own injury issues.

Ahh. OK. Thanks for the update. Professional tennis is such a grueling sport. They grind it out for two weeks then get a week or two to recover before the next tournament. It's really a testament to how well these athletes train and take care of themselves, especially players like Fed and Serena who are way past their prime years yet still competing in finals.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Yep. I am not a big tennis fan, but I usually wind up watching a few hours of the Aussie Open. My eyeball assessment says that the men’s field is weaker than it was been in decades, largely due to injuries. The women’s field finally seems to be developing some real depth after about five years of mediocrity. Those of you who follow tennis may see things differently.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Novak also has some guru that he listens to that's been screwing up his game bigtime.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yep. I am not a big tennis fan, but I usually wind up watching a few hours of the Aussie Open. My eyeball assessment says that the men’s field is weaker than it was been in decades, largely due to injuries. The women’s field finally seems to be developing some real depth after about five years of mediocrity. Those of you who follow tennis may see things differently.

You're not wrong. Look at Fed's path to the championship this tournament, Rafa's path at the last USO, etc. They've played a list of mostly nobodies.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Hyeon Chung (Pronounced "Jung") had an amazing run at the AO. He beat Zverev and Djokovic on his on his run to the SF. If it weren't for a blister the size of his big toe, he would've put on a better performance. Roger is the GOAT, but let's not dismiss this kid's determination and mental fortitude to play as long as he possibly could under the circumstances.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Novak also has some guru that he listens to that's been screwing up his game bigtime.

Didn't he also go vegan? I think I read that somewhere in the Serbian media (I'm from that region).
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Didn't he also go vegan? I think I read that somewhere in the Serbian media (I'm from that region).

Arian Foster was never the same after going vegan, and Demaryius Thomas' performance has also slipped since he did the same.

For whatever reason, vegan or otherwise, Novak hasn't been the same since winning the 2016 French Open. When he did that, he completed the career Grand Slam, and it was a monumentally important thing to him. When the rest of his 2016 didn't go well, I just chalked it up to an understandable letdown. But perhaps it was something more. Then in 2017, his play didn't get any better, and then he got injured, and he still doesn't look 100%. I'll also note that a little after that 2016 French Open win, possible nude photos of him surfaced (where he may have sent them to someone that wasn't his wife), and I wonder if he felt like a protective shield was removed from his persona after that. I think something similar happened to Tiger Woods when the sex scandal broke.

Oh, also, there's a helluva women's final going on right now.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject:

Wozniacki prevails! It was tough to follow Halep-Kerber, but this was a great match in its own right. I'm very happy for Caro, and the sheer joy she showed right after winning was pretty awesome. Halep showed great fight and tenacity all tournament, and much better focus, and if she can just maintain that, she'll win a Slam soon enough. In fact, she's probably the favorite in Paris, and I think she could avenge her surprise finals loss last year to Ostapenko.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject:

Halep should play hockey with how well she netted that ball in the last 2 games.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject:

Halep should play hockey with how well she netted that ball in the last 2 games.

Haha, they were both really weary, particularly Halep, who had played a marathon match against Kerber in the previous round. And this match went over 3 hours also. Just like against Kerber, Halep was the aggressor, and in the previous match, she made more balls at the end than she missed. This time, in the last 2 games, she didn't. C'est la vie.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject:

cilic is letting himself get distracted by whatever is going on with his racquet stringing against possibly the most relaxed and prepared athlete of all time
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

20 Grand Slams and always has done it with great class.

Hard not to be a Federer fan.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

He does it again, Wow. I ended up going to sleep after the 2nd set. I don't think they updated the rankings...Does this give him enough points to top Nadal and be ranked #1?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

^
No, he's still #2, but he just closed the gap significantly. Cilic moved up to #3. Cilic had a real shot to win that match. He was down a break at 1-3 in the 4th and it looked like Fed might cruise to the 4-set win, and then Cilic caught fire and reeled off 5 games in a row to win the 4th, as Federer stopped making first serves. Then the fifth set started and Cilic had 2 break points right away. If he gets that break, he's a runaway train at that point and who knows what happens. Then the second game was also a 50/50 game, won by Federer. Then at 2-0, another 50/50 game, again won by Fed. That was the match right there. Being up 3-0 settled Federer down, and his service rhythm came back. Cilic probably felt like he was so close to having the lead and all the momentum, and when it slipped away, he just couldn't get it back, with the finish line so close.

Twenty Slams. In men's tennis, it's pretty remarkable.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject:

Don't look now but he's the oldest male number 1 ever. Pretty insane past two years for him when it looked like he might not win another slam.

Changing to a larger racket really has helped him enormously. He should have done that long ago.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject:

Federer faults on his first serve which was ruled good by all judges

his opponent: "Roger, nobody called out."

Federer: "It.s out."

referee goes with it

Federer gets his second serve in and wins the point

dude

cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject:

referee goes with it

dude

wth? What kind of judge is that?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject:

referee goes with it

dude

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

I've always liked roger federer
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

kobe

http://www.marketingregistrado.com/img/noticias/rogerkobe.jpg

http://cdn.stylefrizz.com/img/nike-kobe-bryant-tribute-nadal-federer.jpg
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: