2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 332, 333, 334  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:
So I suppose we holding on to Matty for the time being. Him and Toles ain't a bad platoon in left just not the glamor names Dodgers whiffed on.

I still don't think Kemp plays another inning for us. Would rather give those OF AB's vs. lefties to Kike.

You shush. I wanna bring that Kemp jersey back out. It's been in mothballs next to all the other ex-players who got traded or left within 2-3 years of my acquiring that jersey! It's so rare to have one come back!

Ha, if he wasn't a complete and utter stiff in the field now, he still might have some positive value.

Ultimate Pinch Hitter!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

The Red Sox would probably take Kemp as a right handed DH if the Dodgers ate some of the contract and/or added a prospect. They are offering J.D. Martinez 100 million to DH for them now!
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
The Red Sox would probably take Kemp as a right handed DH if the Dodgers ate some of the contract and/or added a prospect. They are offering J.D. Martinez 100 million to DH for them now!

Add the white sox and royals to the list of teams that Kemp possibly could be a fit at the DH position. The question is how much it will cost the Dodgers in prospect capital to dump his salary.

Dodgers, Lakers, Kings... all with bad contracts and no titles to show for them. Amazing how poor contracts can be such an immediate anchor on a franchise so quickly.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

The Red Sox want JD Martinez, and with the market so slow to develop, I'm sure they are hoping that he falls right into their laps. But he's easily--easily--the best hitter available, you saw the Yankees add Stanton, and the Red Sox need him. IMO, it's just a matter of time before he ends up there. If they could get him for $100MM, it's a gigantic bargain, at least compared to other top hitters. Dude has turned into a straight masher at the dish.

I could see a team like the White Sox having interest in Kemp, or another team that doesn't plan to contend. Like was stated above, if they didn't have to pay much of his salary and if they got a prospect or two that they liked back, that could be something that works for the acquiring team.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject:

The Kemp trade was already a success in that it allowed the Dodgers to dump Kazmir, McCarthy and Gonzalez for just 40 million over 2 years now if they can get off of Kemp they will be sucessful in sheddi g their bad salaries. I'm just wondering what the hell the Braves were thinking? They got Gonzalez and dfa'd him. They lost out on that deal by 20 million. Maybe they have the inside scoop on Kazmir or something lol.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
The Kemp trade was already a success in that it allowed the Dodgers to dump Kazmir, McCarthy and Gonzalez for just 40 million over 2 years now if they can get off of Kemp they will be sucessful in sheddi g their bad salaries. I'm just wondering what the hell the Braves were thinking? They got Gonzalez and dfa'd him. They lost out on that deal by 20 million. Maybe they have the inside scoop on Kazmir or something lol.

They get out of their bad money after this season now, and they are aiming to really take a step up after this season, so they'll have more payroll flexibility to potentially add free agents for the 2019 season and/or make a splashy trade where they add salary. The Dodgers' aim was to get under the luxury tax threshold, so even though Kemp's money doesn't end until after the 2019 season, they were happy to do it. Win-win for both teams. And yes, maybe they get something out of McCarthy, who was halfway decent last season when healthy. Kazmir is probably a longer shot to contribute, but you never know.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

They get out of their bad money after this season now, and they are aiming to really take a step up after this season, so they'll have more payroll flexibility to potentially add free agents for the 2019 season and/or make a splashy trade where they add salary. The Dodgers' aim was to get under the luxury tax threshold, so even though Kemp's money doesn't end until after the 2019 season, they were happy to do it. Win-win for both teams. And yes, maybe they get something out of McCarthy, who was halfway decent last season when healthy. Kazmir is probably a longer shot to contribute, but you never know.

Yep, we'll have more money to give bad contracts to future ex-A/Ray players now!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Turns out that the Red Sox's standing offer to JD Martinez is 5 years at $125MM, which seems a bit more appropriate. I still expect that one to get done, perhaps with a 6th year option that would vest if he meets certain standards either in the 5th year or all told through the first 5 years.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Yep, we'll have more money to give bad contracts to future ex-A/Ray players now!

Matt Joyce anyone? He's both
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Matt Joyce anyone? He's both

((COMMENT REMOVED. Let's keep things respectable, please. - JMK))

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Darvish is in "active talks" with the Cubs. And they did sign his former personal catcher on the Rangers, Gimenez, today.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Jays sign Granderson. I knew he'd be a bust the minute our Moron FO got him. I would've had to think twice if we got him for free but we actually had to give away someone. Only way I'd take Granderson is if someone included him in a deal for someone else I would've wanted.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Jays sign Granderson. I knew he'd be a bust the minute our Moron FO got him. I would've had to think twice if we got him for free but we actually had to give away someone. Only way I'd take Granderson is if someone included him in a deal for someone else I would've wanted.

We didn't have a clear LF starter at the time, he was red hot at the time, he's a highly-respected professional around the game, and management was just hoping that he could sustain that for a couple of months. We know how it went, but it's not like we gave up anyone of note. He also didn't cost us anything in terms of World Series gaffes or anything; he wasn't even active LOL. And Joc stepped up in the World Series. Grandy's time with us was awful, but he ultimately didn't cost us the loss in the World Series. Darvish, Kershaw, and Jansen did, in that order.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

We didn't have a clear LF starter at the time, he was red hot at the time, he's a highly-respected professional around the game, and management was just hoping that he could sustain that for a couple of months. We know how it went, but it's not like we gave up anyone of note. He also didn't cost us anything in terms of World Series gaffes or anything; he wasn't even active LOL. And Joc stepped up in the World Series. Grandy's time with us was awful, but he ultimately didn't cost us the loss in the World Series. Darvish, Kershaw, and Jansen did, in that order.

I would've rather we didn't get him. I knew what he was and clearly would be nothing more than false hope.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-dodgers-have-no-intention-of-playing-matt-kemp/ar-BBIjIpA?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

There are reportedly 4 teams interested in trading for Matt Kemp?! I wonder who the teams are and what the Dodgers are willing to trade to get rid of him. Maybe once the Dodgers find a way out of his deal they'll start to look at free agents again.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-dodgers-have-no-intention-of-playing-matt-kemp/ar-BBIjIpA?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

There are reportedly 4 teams interested in trading for Matt Kemp?! I wonder who the teams are and what the Dodgers are willing to trade to get rid of him. Maybe once the Dodgers find a way out of his deal they'll start to look at free agents again.

Yeah, I find it almost impossible to believe that the Cubs would trade for Matt Kemp.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Yeah, I find it almost impossible to believe that the Cubs would trade for Matt Kemp.

Judging by our luck, he'll probably go to Chicago, develop into a defensive stud, and hit the game winning HR to knock us out next year.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Matt can still hit. I think he can be an amazing DH in the AL for the next few years. Look at what guys like Cruz can do at the plate. I'm surprised Hanley hasn't panned out to be honest..when he's on he's easily one of the best hitters in the game. That year he had with the Dodgers was some of the best hitting I've seen since Manny in a Dodger uniform. Too bad he hasn't been able to replicate that since.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Quick break from the free agency thread...it appears that Darvish would like to return to the Dodgers, and is waiting on them to see if they can make a move to unload enough salary to not only sign him, but still stay under the luxury tax.

Nice to get confirmation that this possibility could happen. I'm still skeptical of giving him a huge contract, but if he specifically wants to come back to the Dodgers to avenge the World Series loss and if he takes a below-market contract to do it, you know he'd be highly motivated. And that I would have to respect.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

The rumors are the Cards offered Darvish 150 million for 7 years. Lot of years for a guy you can't depend in in the biggest of games.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Quick break from the free agency thread...it appears that Darvish would like to return to the Dodgers, and is waiting on them to see if they can make a move to unload enough salary to not only sign him, but still stay under the luxury tax.

Nice to get confirmation that this possibility could happen. I'm still skeptical of giving him a huge contract, but if he specifically wants to come back to the Dodgers to avenge the World Series loss and if he takes a below-market contract to do it, you know he'd be highly motivated. And that I would have to respect.

We'd really need to fix his tipping off of pitches.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Darvish signs with the Cubs.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Six-year, $126-million. Good I didn't want him back anyways.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

So either Lynn or Arrieta? Hill's always going to be a ticking time bomb. Alex Wood's 2nd half is pretty much what kind of pitcher he is so you'd be a fool to keep expecting that 1st half performance out of him. Maeda's still in the woods and still has 0 stamina. Kershaw will likely opt out in 2018 and this limpdick FO has a very good chance of losing him to the Rangers.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
So either Lynn or Arrieta? Hill's always going to be a ticking time bomb. Alex Wood's 2nd half is pretty much what kind of pitcher he is so you'd be a fool to keep expecting that 1st half performance out of him. Maeda's still in the woods and still has 0 stamina. Kershaw will likely opt out in 2018 and this limpdick FO has a very good chance of losing him to the Rangers.

Lynn doesn't do anything for me. Arrieta, maybe, on a value contract, but I think the Twins and Brewers might be aggressive on him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 332, 333, 334  Next
Page 18 of 334
Jump to: