So what was it about Bynum’s knees that made him so injury prone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: So what was it about Bynum’s knees that made him so injury prone?

Did we ever learn the structural cause?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Mushy muscles.

!...
Salt_Lakers_City
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: So what was it about Bynum’s knees that made him so injury prone?

CandyCanes wrote:

In before people come in here to talk trash on his work ethic.

For starters, he had a great work ethic, despite what people here believe. Every year his post game and free throws were getting better. He was in the midst of developing a jump shot unti, unfortunately his knees could not take any more. I’m a big fan of Bynum, wish he didn’t have knee problems I wish we still had him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

High school injury.

Overworked his knees running up sand dunes as a 320+lb rookie.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: So what was it about Bynum’s knees that made him so injury prone?

Salt_Lakers_City wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

For starters, he had a great work ethic, despite what people here believe. Every year his post game and free throws were getting better. He was in the midst of developing a jump shot unti, unfortunately his knees could not take any more. I’m a big fan of Bynum, wish he didn’t have knee problems I wish we still had him.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I was a big Bynum fan and hope he is happy and doing well in his post-NBA endeavors.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Mushy muscles.

Rick1231231323432423 was one of a kind.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
High school injury.

So there was nothing congenitally wrong with his knees, they were only bad because of previous injury and not taking care of them as a rookie? He had problems in both knees though, not just one.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

Knocked knees. An issue he had since a teenager. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ocregister.com/2009/12/29/now-bynum-has-a-new-knee-problem/amp/
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
High school injury.

I was in my mid 20's and was terribly overweight. Unfortunately, at the time, the only way I knew to get in shape was to run. So I ran mainly on concrete and wrecked my knees (along with getting into the military and dealing with craptastic boots). It was only until I got into weightlifting and heavy volume squats that my knees stopped feeling weak in structural integrity anymore.

Having ran the dunes over there off PCH before Malibu...I can totally understand someone's knees getting blasted if they can't take the load.

*Sidenote that's also where I saw a couple randomly, during day time, go halfway up the dunes and start having sex. Ironically a police patrol was going back and forth because they were shooting a commercial on PCH but never spotted them.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: So what was it about Bynum’s knees that made him so injury prone?

CandyCanes wrote:

This keeping you awake at night?

LOL (joking)
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

Bynum was my favorite player in the league, really thought he was going to be the future of the Lakers once Kobe passed the torch. Crazy thing is that he's only 30 years old right now. It'd be interesting to see how he'd do in the modern NBA, whether he'd dominate, be someone similar to Adams, or be someone similar to Monroe/Kanter
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: So what was it about Bynum’s knees that made him so injury prone?

LakerFan87 wrote:
Salt_Lakers_City wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I was a big Bynum fan and hope he is happy and doing well in his post-NBA endeavors.

One of the funniest moments ever
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
High school injury.

I was in my mid 20's and was terribly overweight. Unfortunately, at the time, the only way I knew to get in shape was to run. So I ran mainly on concrete and wrecked my knees (along with getting into the military and dealing with craptastic boots). It was only until I got into weightlifting and heavy volume squats that my knees stopped feeling weak in structural integrity anymore.

Having ran the dunes over there off PCH before Malibu...I can totally understand someone's knees getting blasted if they can't take the load.

*Sidenote that's also where I saw a couple randomly, during day time, go halfway up the dunes and start having sex. Ironically a police patrol was going back and forth because they were shooting a commercial on PCH but never spotted them.

This post has everything. It's commendable and outrageous and funny.
That's all I have to say in this thread.
Bai!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
High school injury.

I took A LOTTTTTT of heat comparing him to Brendan Haywood at a specific period of time. Similar height and length, but Bynum was growing in athleticism and Haywood stopped. I conservatively said I'd be happy if he averaged 14/10/2, and that if he kept up his pace of improvement, he'd wreck his knees.

Well, we got 3 legit seasons of him. And he wrecked his knees for it.

I kind of don't blame him for quitting basketball. Like he worked SO HARD just to get to a specific level, and then it just flat out hurts to play and requires that much more work? Nah man. Like, if he's happy with his $10-$20mil that I'm hoping he took home, saved, invested, whatever, cool. Spend some time changing your hair. Buy a few decent rides that fit you. I remember he was one of the few car guys on the team.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Sojo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
High school injury.

I took A LOTTTTTT of heat comparing him to Brendan Haywood at a specific period of time. Similar height and length, but Bynum was growing in athleticism and Haywood stopped. I conservatively said I'd be happy if he averaged 14/10/2, and that if he kept up his pace of improvement, he'd wreck his knees.

I kind of don't blame him for quitting basketball. Like he worked SO HARD just to get to a specific level, and then it just flat out hurts to play and requires that much more work? Nah man. Like, if he's happy with his $10-$20mil that I'm hoping he took home, saved, invested, whatever, cool. Spend some time changing your hair. Buy a few decent rides that fit you. I remember he was one of the few car guys on the team.

Do you think Kwame is comparable to Haywood and Erik Dampier? There was an article a while ago saying all three were basically the same player but were perceived differently based on what spot they were drafted.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

His biggest problem was not bending them. Both of his injuries could have been avoided had he been bending his knees as instructed by Kareem essentially.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Sojo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
High school injury.

Do you think Kwame is comparable to Haywood and Erik Dampier? There was an article a while ago saying all three were basically the same player but were perceived differently based on what spot they were drafted.

They were far more consistent than Kwame. At their best, Kwame was the far superior player, as Haywood and Dampier really had no offensive skill set, they were just big bodies that knew how to box out, be physical, and anchor a defense. Kwame, once every 30 games (or the entirety of the 2006 Phoenix series), would show you why he went #1 in the draft. Otherwise, he offered less than Dampier and Haywood, since everyone knew it took only mild adversity during a game for Kwame to crumple up and break down.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Sojo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
High school injury.

They were far more consistent than Kwame. At their best, Kwame was the far superior player, as Haywood and Dampier really had no offensive skill set, they were just big bodies that knew how to box out, be physical, and anchor a defense. Kwame, once every 30 games (or the entirety of the 2006 Phoenix series), would show you why he went #1 in the draft. Otherwise, he offered less than Dampier and Haywood, since everyone knew it took only mild adversity during a game for Kwame to crumple up and break down.

So do you think it’s understandable why Kwame was picked #1 in the draft? Did he actually have talent or was he just able to dominate at the high school level because he was tall?

The guy once had a 30 point, 19 rebound game when he was with the Wizards. It was pretty remarkable to me that a scrub of his caliber could do that.

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. Great NBA body at age 18. Very strong, easily able to pack on more muscle and mass, without losing much in the way of speed or athleticism. Performed well in his class, which included other stand-out centers. Drafted in an age where lack of skill was much more easily off-set by athletic potential. I think it was MJ's first draft, so he wanted to make a splash pick, and I doubt MJ of all people thought the weak white guy from Spain would make for a good choice.

I think he had talent, for sure, but he dominated largely due to his height and, as noted, his already-NBA level body. That was the key difference, to me. It's one thing to simply be tall in high school, ala Tyson Chandler & Eddy Curry (same class), another thing entirely when you are tall and built like a brick wall that can run the floor and elevate. And he was confident - at the time.

I truly think MJ broke Kwame and, after that, he fell to the wayside in a league where the consistent and the new are paid much more attention to than the old and the broken. Throw in the tougher competition, a questionable desire to play the game, the fact that he was so, so young...

Kwame Brown 2006 playoffs

^it was all there, but he was only occasionally able to put it together. Same story with a LOT of NBA players, but this one just so happens to include the #1 pick and the most famous athlete of all time calling him a (bleep) (bleep) to his face.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Sojo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
High school injury.

So do you think it’s understandable why Kwame was picked #1 in the draft? Did he actually have talent or was he just able to dominate at the high school level because he was tall?

The guy once had a 30 point, 19 rebound game when he was with the Wizards. It was pretty remarkable to me that a scrub of his caliber could do that.

He wasn't a scrub, he was a headcase. Well okay I guess being a headcase rendered him a scrub, but he was much too talented to have the career that he did.

He was a tentative, scared, over-thinking type. When he'd occasionally get out of his own head he could be a fine player.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Yeah. Great NBA body at age 18. Very strong, easily able to pack on more muscle and mass, without losing much in the way of speed or athleticism. Performed well in his class, which included other stand-out centers. Drafted in an age where lack of skill was much more easily off-set by athletic potential. I think it was MJ's first draft, so he wanted to make a splash pick, and I doubt MJ of all people thought the weak white guy from Spain would make for a good choice.

I think he had talent, for sure, but he dominated largely due to his height and, as noted, his already-NBA level body. That was the key difference, to me. It's one thing to simply be tall in high school, ala Tyson Chandler & Eddy Curry (same class), another thing entirely when you are tall and built like a brick wall that can run the floor and elevate. And he was confident - at the time.

I truly think MJ broke Kwame and, after that, he fell to the wayside in a league where the consistent and the new are paid much more attention to than the old and the broken. Throw in the tougher competition, a questionable desire to play the game, the fact that he was so, so young...

^it was all there, but he was only occasionally able to put it together. Same story with a LOT of NBA players, but this one just so happens to include the #1 pick and the most famous athlete of all time calling him a (bleep) (bleep) to his face.

Was Tyson Chandler really just tall? I’ve always thought of him as an athletic freak as well. Would you say Chandler was a bust at #2?

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

He was a freak as well, certainly could jump out the gym, but he was kind of a beanpole coming out and, unlike KG, didn't flash any other skills, which is probably why Kwame went over him as he was even more of an athletic specimen.

I don't think he was a bust. Relative to the value we place on #2 picks, you have a fair argument he should not have gone that high; however, he's had a long and effective NBA career and was huge on defense for the Mavs during the 2011 run. I guess you could say he was a bust to Chicago fans, but I think every team since then has been happy to have him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Sojo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
High school injury.

No.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
He was a freak as well, certainly could jump out the gym, but he was kind of a beanpole coming out and, unlike KG, didn't flash any other skills, which is probably why Kwame went over him as he was even more of an athletic specimen.

I don't think he was a bust. Relative to the value we place on #2 picks, you have a fair argument he should not have gone that high; however, he's had a long and effective NBA career and was huge on defense for the Mavs during the 2011 run. I guess you could say he was a bust to Chicago fans, but I think every team since then has been happy to have him.

Kwame went ahead because back then, they allowed 1 on 1 workouts.

Kwame dominated.

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

I don't think MJ "broke" Kwame. I read an in depth article about Kwame in the Washington Post from the 2001-02 season, and it seemed like he was fatally flawed from the start. He grew up in a small backwoods town in the south where there was massive poverty, and as an 18/19 year old rookie, he seriously lacked life skills. He had a personal assistant who literally did everything for him, including organize his clothes in his home instead of leaving them crumpled on the floor like Kwame would do. MJ and coach Doug Collins didn't know whether to stroke him or to yell at him and give him tough love.

Kwame was quite simply a mental midget. I really don't know why MJ drafted him #1, or why he was being hyped as the next Kobe or KG at the time. Instead he became the biggest bust in NBA history.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: