ESPN: Clippers agree to trade Blake Griffin to Pistons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Time for a rebuild under the vision of the great Jerry West.

Clippers are done -- they had their chance...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

LOL. Doucbebag Griffin goes from Los Angeles, one of the most desirable cities in the country, to Detroit, one of the least desirable cities.

The Clippers actually overachieved this season with their .500 record-- only on pace for ten fewer wins despite the downgrade from Chris Paul to Lou Williams.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Seems dumb to me. Having a marketable star and a playoff-caliber team was a good place for the Clippers to be. Way better than their situation for the vast majority of the franchise's existence. Now they'll just be another crap team looking for a way to be good--just like they were for 30 years. The Lakers have to build for championships--that's their standard. I'm not convinced it's wise for most teams to pursue that standard. A team like the Clippers probably should be content with just being good. But hey, maybe they'll get lucky.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Seems dumb to me. Having a marketable star and a playoff-caliber team was a good place for the Clippers to be. Way better than their situation for the vast majority of the franchise's existence. Now they'll just be another crap team looking for a way to be good--just like they were for 30 years. The Lakers have to build for championships--that's their standard. I'm not convinced it's wise for most teams to pursue that standard. A team like the Clippers probably should be content with just being good. But hey, maybe they'll get lucky.

My guess is they want to be in the running for this summers free agent market. Clippers probably realized they vastly overpaid for Blake who is often injured now. Detroit was willing to take a gamble since they want to go to the playoffs, which is wide open this year with the demise of the Cavs.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

What was the rationale in doing this for the Clippers? Avery Bradley and Tobias Harris are both solid 15 PPG+ players, but neither are either stars and Bradley is only a year younger than Griffin. Based on Detroit's current record, the pick (protected this season from 1 to 4) would currently be the thirteenth pick in the 2018 draft, but the addition of Griffin will likely diminish it even further.

So basically they traded their franchise player and former #1 overall pick (a guy they picked over Harden and Curry) for two good role players who have no use on a rebuilding team other than to just diminish the lottery pick(s) by adding a few wins, in addition to taking up development time for younger players. I would have tried to trade him for a top 5 lottery pick and just outright rebuild.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LOL. Doucbebag Griffin goes from Los Angeles, one of the most desirable cities in the country, to Detroit, one of the least desirable cities.

The Clippers actually overachieved this season with their .500 record-- only on pace for ten fewer wins despite the downgrade from Chris Paul to Lou Williams.

Could be worse, he could've gone to Utah....
Anyways the Pistons play in a brand new arena in a revitalized downtown Detroit. Its probably much better than it was 10 years ago.
My guess is he probably should've gone "home" when he got the chance. Now he's probably stuck in Detroit for a while....
Going to be hard for him since he pretty much has lived in LA since his rookie year and even befriended the Kardashians....
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Anyways the Pistons play in a brand new arena in a revitalized downtown Detroit. Its probably much better than it was 10 years ago.
My guess is he probably should've gone "home" when he got the chance. Now he's probably stuck in Detroit for a while....
Going to be hard for him since he pretty much has lived in LA since his rookie year and even befriended the Kardashians....

Salt Lake City actually isn't that bad and is strangely progressive when compared to the rest of the state. Detroit, on the other hand, is the nation's biggest slum.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What was the rationale in doing this for the Clippers? Avery Bradley and Tobias Harris are both solid 15 PPG+ players, but neither are either stars and Bradley is only a year younger than Griffin. Based on Detroit's current record, the pick (protected this season from 1 to 4) would currently be the thirteenth pick in the 2018 draft, but the addition of Griffin will likely diminish it even further.

So basically they traded their franchise player and former #1 overall pick (a guy they picked over Harden and Curry) for two good role players who have no use on a rebuilding team other than to just diminish the lottery pick(s) by adding a few wins, in addition to taking up development time for younger players. I would have tried to trade him for a top 5 lottery pick and just outright rebuild.

I thought Griffin was negative value on his contract, so overall I see this as a great trade for the Clippers.
Meanwhile I see it as a panic move from Stan Van Gundy.

I think this boils down to my belief that Blake Griffin isn't really that good.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

For $30 million a year, I could live anywhere.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

They didn't hire West so that they could sit back and be happy with a star on the roster and mere playoff appearances. He obviously decided they need to move Griffin and his new contract. I would agree if they apsire to compete for titles. The guy is always hurt and never defends the rim regardless. So glad we didn't trade for him.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Salt Lake City actually isn't that bad and is strangely progressive when compared to the rest of the state. Detroit, on the other hand, is the nation's biggest slum.

Not to mention having Gobert to erase Griffin's defensive shortcomings would be solid. Griffin-Mitchell-Gobert isn't too shabby. Beats the crap out of that Detroit roster.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

Blake Griffin is an All-Star caliber player who is getting MJ/Kobe type money. Griffin is not a true superstar, nor is he a go to guy. Where was he when his team was falling apart in Game 6 vs Houston in 2015? Plus, he seems injury prone. The Clippers could either keep him, be an average team, be stuck in purgatory and be over the cap, or they could sell him before his value drops and start over again when Lebron and PG are available this summer.

When JW was the Lakers' GM in the early 90s, they had an aging James Worthy, Byron Scott and Sam Perkins and they were just barely a playoff team, but nothing more than that, plus they were over the cap. West knew that to start winning titles again he had to pull the plug and commit to a long term rebuilding project. So he gave away Perkins for Doug Christie and Benoit Benjamin. He got crap for Perkins (a good player), but it worked. He didn't exactly get crap for Griffin. Maybe he's trying to do the same thing with the Clippers in terms of getting out of the "trap in the middle", so to speak.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject:

The NOA plyaoff quest is alive!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
Is it just me or did the Pistons get absolutely fleeced in this deal?

Tobias Harris and Avery Bradley are legitimate players. I wouldn't call them stars, but they are certainly more than just "role players". The Clippers also got draft picks.

The Clippers were able to maintain a roster that can still make the playoffs while acquiring future assets to assist in re-building/re-tooling for future seasons.

It's not just you. SVG panicked. Don't forget to factor in Griffin's injury history.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

If there was still any doubt, the Clippers window has been officially closed.

The "gutty little warrior" did them wrong in that series at Oklahoma City a few years back, they had a shot that year but it was obviously trending in the wrong direction since and they are breaking up the band.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Yes, I might be able to make it work on that!

In all seriousness, there are some nice suburbs of Detroit actually but obviously an exile for Griffin and now to have to listen to Stan Van Gundy in every timeout?

Yikes, I feel for you Blake!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Yes, I might be able to make it work on that!

In all seriousness, there are some nice suburbs of Detroit actually but obviously an exile for Griffin and now to have to listen to Stan Van Gundy in every timeout?

Yikes, I feel for you Blake!

Who knows he might enjoy being the only game in town after all those years in the big fishbowl.

My guess is the life of an NBA star is pretty damn good in any city.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

Both Pistons (vs Cavs) and Clips (vs Blazers) have games on TNT tonight. The Pistons rarely play on national games.

Was the timing of this trade just a coincidence?
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

I'd say the Clips are clearing the deck early for the FA market, but not too early and are going all-in, sirens blaring a clear message. It's a high risk move, one that may net a stud such as LeBron or a potential All Star such as LaVine or Wiggins. Hell, it could fail completely even just in terms of acquiring a new franchise face, or is that failure ???

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
I'd say the Clips are clearing the deck early for the FA market, but not too early and are going all-in, sirens blaring a clear message. It's a high risk move, one that may net a stud such as LeBron or a potential All Star such as LaVine or Wiggins. Hell, it could fail completely even just in terms of acquiring a new franchise face, or is that failure ???

Is this a Jerry to Lebron move, telling him, "We got the money and the place, bring all your buds"? Subtly telling him, you also got the GM.

JW shoulda been here.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Is this a Jerry to Lebron move, telling him, "We got the money and the place, bring all your buds"? Subtly telling him, you also got the GM.

JW shoulda been here.

Well, something like that. To the extent that clubs and free agents read the message in Blake's trade as the shift in franchise leadership's willingness to change every assumption about the roster, yes. There's also a certain familiar foreshadowing in this trade that suggests something like the old pre-Shaq player dumps that Jerry West made here. I doubt LeBron goes to the Clippers, but I think Blake's absence creates interest among a whole bunch of free agents looking for a new job.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

Irony? Jerry, a Lakers great, across the hall (Staples locker room) from Magic a, Lakers great, bumping heads for the services of LeBron and Paul George. I'm betting on Magic.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Irony? Jerry, a Lakers great, across the hall (Staples locker room) from Magic a, Lakers great, bumping heads for the services of LeBron and Paul George. I'm betting on Magic.

We are a few years ahead of the Clippers regarding rebuild, so I doubt PG will go there
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
jodeke wrote:

We are a few years ahead of the Clippers regarding rebuild, so I doubt PG will go there

Rumor has it, LeBron an PG13 will sign with the P&G next season.

It's called tampering but if I were a betting man I'd bet Magic is in contact with LBJ and PG13 clandestinely.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

This trade doesn't help the Clippers in the Bron' sweepstakes...

LeBron 'a little shocked' about Griffin trade.LeBron James says a team that trades stars under contract like the Clippers did with Blake Griffin don't get labeled "a snake" like a player does when he asks for a trade.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: