ESPN: Clippers agree to trade Blake Griffin to Pistons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Both Pistons (vs Cavs) and Clips (vs Blazers) have games on TNT tonight. The Pistons rarely play on national games.

Was the timing of this trade just a coincidence?

Hard to imagine a Tuesday night TV game was a factor in a gigantic, franchise-changing deal.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
focus wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
I'd say the Clips are clearing the deck early for the FA market, but not too early and are going all-in, sirens blaring a clear message. It's a high risk move, one that may net a stud such as LeBron or a potential All Star such as LaVine or Wiggins. Hell, it could fail completely even just in terms of acquiring a new franchise face, or is that failure ???

Is this a Jerry to Lebron move, telling him, "We got the money and the place, bring all your buds"? Subtly telling him, you also got the GM.

JW shoulda been here.

Well, something like that. To the extent that clubs and free agents read the message in Blake's trade as the shift in franchise leadership's willingness to change every assumption about the roster, yes. There's also a certain familiar foreshadowing in this trade that suggests something like the old pre-Shaq player dumps that Jerry West made here. I doubt LeBron goes to the Clippers, but I think Blake's absence creates interest among a whole bunch of free agents looking for a new job.

Now I'm worried actually bc you're right. Maybe he's got trades in the cooker doing what Jerry does. This does feel like a clear out for that purpose. People know Jerry's gifted, driven, and brilliant in this role. Does it not seem like he has a lot of flexibility at hand now?
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
This trade doesn't help the Clippers in the Bron' sweepstakes...

LeBron 'a little shocked' about Griffin trade.LeBron James says a team that trades stars under contract like the Clippers did with Blake Griffin don't get labeled "a snake" like a player does when he asks for a trade.

This quote alone leads you to think that?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Both Pistons (vs Cavs) and Clips (vs Blazers) have games on TNT tonight. The Pistons rarely play on national games.

Was the timing of this trade just a coincidence?

Hard to imagine a Tuesday night TV game was a factor in a gigantic, franchise-changing deal.

Not the reason for the trade but the timing. The Pistons don't get a lot of media coverage but they're in the spotlight right now. I'm sure it will be the main topic of conversation during the game.

You're probably right though. I'm not even sure both players will have cleared their physicals in time. Pistons, especially, need to put Blake under a microscope with all the money he's owed.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

LeBron 'a little shocked' about Griffin trade.LeBron James says a team that trades stars under contract like the Clippers did with Blake Griffin don't get labeled "a snake" like a player does when he asks for a trade.

I still would sign LBJ but man will this guy ever stop whining about life not being fair, no one feels sorry for you bro
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Lebron has a point. When Griffin signed his new contract, I bet the Clippers didn’t say, “If we change our mind, we can always ship you to Detroit.” But that’s a subject for a different thread, and in fact we’ve discussed it elsewhere.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

It's the psychology of it. If I'm Lebron, and I know that they're clearing the decks for me and maybe I'm flattered, then maybe I would hold my tongue. So the fact that he comes out and says this, makes me feel that he's not even considering them.

And then here's a new article: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lebron-james-not-expected-consider-222457159.html
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Damn, traded from Hollywood to Detroit and can't even keep your number (Rip Hamilton retired number)... Clippers for life, Life of a Clipper
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

It definitely demonstrates that there's no reason for a player ever to feel any obligation of loyalty to a franchise. Though to be fair I guess Blake couldn't have gotten that money elsewhere.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Damn, traded from Hollywood to Detroit and can't even keep your number (Rip Hamilton retired number)... Clippers for life, Life of a Clipper

Thats the fate of playing for LA's other team....
CP3 could've possibly gone deep into the playoffs with Kobe had the commissioner not intervened. Instead now is in Houston trying to make up for those lost Clipper years.
Blake enjoyed playing in LA, mingling with celebs, now he's traded to a team in the midwest where its also has some incredibly cold winters.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

I wish I had Blakes’ “problem.”
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Good trade for Clips but classless move
Good luck getting a FA or star to ask to be traded to the Clippers anytime soon
This will help us any star who is being traded or a FA will look at Lakers over Clippers now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
focus wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

It's the psychology of it. If I'm Lebron, and I know that they're clearing the decks for me and maybe I'm flattered, then maybe I would hold my tongue. So the fact that he comes out and says this, makes me feel that he's not even considering them.

And then here's a new article: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lebron-james-not-expected-consider-222457159.html

And the Clippers likely aren’t considering him either. It seems that 2019 is their target date. It makes one wonder if CP wanted to go to Houston or was told he wasn’t in the Clipper long term plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: