#official #millennials #thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: #official #millennials #thread

I feel like there should be a thread for millennials. I feel like, they're like really important nowadays, like, important important. Like, I feel like, my feelings, like

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Part of my job is to locate, recruit, interview, hire and train new employees. In my experience, the best word to describe millenials’ attitude toward work and that entire process is.... "meh".
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

And Huey, I love that you ”hashtagged” the title.
Perfect
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Grow up, learn some work ethic and quit complaining that life is not tailored to your 12 hour a day xbox addiction. Otherwise, quit complaining that you can't keep/get a job.

Oh, did that hurt your sensitive little feelings?
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Part of my job is to locate, recruit, interview, hire and train new employees. In my experience, the best word to describe millenials’ attitude toward work and that entire process is.... "meh".

"How long before this position allows me to work from home?"
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

#hashtag
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

like i feel like i need to like binge watch it's always sunny again, totally like not adulting today
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

We'd all be better off if there were more millennials:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/590/cpsprodpb/13D5D/production/_92354218_us_elections_2016_exit_polls_age_624-2.png

You old geezers should get your ranks in order!
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

I find that most all problems we have in society today, both in the States and abroad, are due to the outdated ideas, attitudes, and choices of previous generations, who refuse to change as the years go by.

I believe that in time my generation, this generation, will be one of the greatest in history.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

I work from home 2 days a week. It's nice. Here are a few reasons why it might by a good idea for a business to allow its employees to work from home:

https://torchlighthire.com/leading-reasons-let-employees-work-home-one-day-week/
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Grow up, learn some work ethic and quit complaining that life is not tailored to your 12 hour a day xbox addiction. Otherwise, quit complaining that you can't keep/get a job.

Oh, did that hurt your sensitive little feelings?

This comment applies to all generations. XBox addictions do not discriminate for age lol.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

I work from home 2 days a week. It's nice. Here are a few reasons why it might by a good idea for a business to allow its employees to work from home:

https://torchlighthire.com/leading-reasons-let-employees-work-home-one-day-week/

I don’t disagree about the efficiency of working from home or even a 4 day work week.

However, you completely missed the mark here on context. My comment was directly related to the Interview comment I responded to. I’ve been asked that 5 times in the last two months while interviewing candidates for an on site support staff role. As if somehow they expect that at some point I’ll stop asking them to come to work and do their job because “they’ve earned it”. Even though the job requires them to be physically present in order to fulfill the job duties. And that, is something I only encounter from a certain age group, before you ask I’m 38 and it’s not my age group I’m referring to.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:

I'm a millennial, and I've found that people in my age group have seen their parents have to work 50-80 hours a week to support them until they are deep in their 70s, when their grandparents were able to stay at the same job for decades, only have to work 40 hours a week, make enough money to support a family and not get fired right before they turned 65.

People in my age group are trying to find a better way not just to support ourselves, but to also live a healthy, balanced lifestyle. I know it sounds idealistic, but with our digital gig economy, right now there are some opportunities out there.

A few years ago I was working a traditional job, and I hated it. My boss had some REAL problems, and I wasn't making enough money to make ends meet. Then I transitioned to being self-employed at home and having multiple sources of income. I'm not making a ton of money, but I'm doing better than I used to and at least I'm on the right track.

I'm not saying any of this to toot my own horn (especially since I'm not "successful" yet), but to illustrate that when people my age say "meh" to working a traditional job, it's because we've seen the decline of the middle class and people's earning power working a job since we were little kids in the 90s.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

I don’t disagree about the efficiency of working from home or even a 4 day work week.

However, you completely missed the mark here on context. My comment was directly related to the Interview comment I responded to. I’ve been asked that 5 times in the last two months while interviewing candidates for an on site support staff role. As if somehow they expect that at some point I’ll stop asking them to come to work and do their job because “they’ve earned it”. Even though the job requires them to be physically present in order to fulfill the job duties. And that, is something I only encounter from a certain age group, before you ask I’m 38 and it’s not my age group I’m referring to.

I did get the context of your comment. My point is that I'm not sure why it would be a knock for an interviewer to ask this upfront. I'd argue that people who are interviewing should ask more questions like this so they know exactly what they are getting into, and also where their potential boss stands on certain topics that are likely to come up if they are hired.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

I'm a millennial, and I've found that people in my age group have seen their parents have to work 50-80 hours a week to support them until they are deep in their 70s, when their grandparents were able to stay at the same job for decades, only have to work 40 hours a week, make enough money to support a family and not get fired right before they turned 65.

People in my age group are trying to find a better way not just to support ourselves, but to also live a healthy, balanced lifestyle. I know it sounds idealistic, but with our digital gig economy, right now there are some opportunities out there.

A few years ago I was working a traditional job, and I hated it. My boss had some REAL problems, and I wasn't making enough money to make ends meet. Then I transitioned to being self-employed at home and having multiple sources of income. I'm not making a ton of money, but I'm doing better than I used to and at least I'm on the right track.

I'm not saying any of this to toot my own horn (especially since I'm not "successful" yet), but to illustrate that when people my age say "meh" to working a traditional job, it's because we've seen the decline of the middle class and people's earning power working a job since we were little kids in the 90s.

Well said.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

^This.

I wish I could say I'm a millennial but I'm considerably older than that. However, this whole idea is magnified working in the Bay Area. I used to work for a company that expanded from 100-220 employees within a 2 month period, and everyone was of that generation, including the CEO, CFO, COO, etc. We all busted tail 60-80 hours a week building a 5-star yelp start up company, but the business model had its flaws. Still, while I have worked for other Fortune 500 types, I couldn't have been more proud of that team that I worked with. We had a bunch of "google perks," but we all busted our collective tails for it too. Definitely the most intelligent and hardest working crew I've ever been with.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: #official #millennials #thread

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I feel like there should be a thread for millennials. I feel like, they're like really important nowadays, like, important important. Like, I feel like, my feelings, like

But like millie's have it SOOOOOOO much like harder than previous generations. They like don't get how like emotionally devastating it is when like you can't even get wifi . . . like navigating the adult stuff is like totally exhausting and impossible for them.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We'd all be better off if there were more millennials:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/590/cpsprodpb/13D5D/production/_92354218_us_elections_2016_exit_polls_age_624-2.png

You old geezers should get your ranks in order!

That's HOW people voted . . . not WHETHER they voted.

Millenials lead the charge in "I'm not like voting because like, my favorite candidate got like totally screwed . . . "
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

It's not a question of whether it might work well in some situations. It';s the sense of entitlement to the opportunity for the opportunities sake that's the problem.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

It's not idealistic. It was every generation before you wanted and worked for.

And similarly to you, many years ago when I was unsatisfied with the way I was working, I took the opportunity to start freelancing

And that's the point, millennial are not facing or thinking anything that previous generations haven't, it's just in a different package. Just as it has been for every previous generation.

I think one of the things that works against the whole "millennial" thing is this insistence that they are different and have it different. That's not the case.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Saw an interesting article somewhere, can’t remember where, that spoke to why millennials are so entitled.

It referenced a couple things, which made sense to me.

1) Participation trophy era (where everyone is a winner just for existing)
2) Many things have come easy and/or free. Music on demand, movies on demand, etc. You have access to friends or crushes at any time, no longer need to call the house and be polite to the parents to get to your friend or crush, etc. Delaying gratification is no longer a thing.

At the same time, gotta give millennials some credit too. There are many doing incredible things much in part thanks to the internet which has leveled the playing field for them. I mean, Mark freakin Zuckerberg is a millennial.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

At the same time, gotta give millennials some credit too. There are many doing incredible things much in part thanks to the internet which has leveled the playing field for them. I mean, Mark freakin Zuckerberg is a millennial.

And Steve Jobs was NOT . . . and only had a garage, a some buddies and an idea.

Again, there's nothing remarkable about this generation. The successful ones haven't done anything that previous generations haven't done. And the less successful have had the same obstacles their predecessors did.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

I am a millennial and I don't know literally anyone who got and/or wanted a participation trophy. You think an 8 year old cares about a participation trophy? You think a 16 y/o varsity track athlete wants an award for getting 8/8 at league finals? (bleep) no.

This is such a stupid meme and I have no idea where it came from. Participation trophies, if they existed at all, are for millennials' parents.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

It's not a question of whether it might work well in some situations. It';s the sense of entitlement to the opportunity for the opportunities sake that's the problem.

This
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I am a millennial and I don't know literally anyone who got and/or wanted a participation trophy. You think an 8 year old cares about a participation trophy? You think a 16 y/o varsity track athlete wants an award for getting 8/8 at league finals? (bleep) no.

This is such a stupid meme and I have no idea where it came from. Participation trophies, if they existed at all, are for millennials' parents.

This is completely true. The participation trophy concept was the idea of well intentioned though misguided previous generations who imposed it upon the youth.

But that doesn't mean the message that everyone who shows up deserves the same amount of success and recognition doesn't come with a downside.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: