The $250 Million Paul George Question: Will OKC Break Bank to Keep Superstar?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: The $250 Million Paul George Question: Will OKC Break Bank to Keep Superstar?

Hey all,

Here's an article on the Thunder but it's very Lakers related

The $250 Million Paul George Question: Will OKC Break Bank to Keep Superstar? at @BleacherReport - if the Thunder are best 2nd-tier team, can they really invest that kind of money? Are there other solutions w/team facing repeater tax? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2756179-the-250-million-paul-george-question-will-okc-break-bank-to-keep-superstar

Also, latest @Hollywood_Hoops Ep 69: L.A. Clippers Make a Bold Move in trading Blake Griffin; @T1m_NBA (Cranjis McBasketball's) Analytic Take on the Lakers w/@JoshMartinNBA presented by @HighfiveHQ https://www.almightyballer.com/hollywood-hoops-ep-69-l-a-clippers-make-a-bold-move-cranjis-mcbasketballs-analytic-take-on-the-lakers/

Cheers,

EP
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Hope OKC take the cheap route again.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

If we believe Julius will fetch less than $10 million in the open market I REALLY hope we find a way to retain him.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I'd bet the Thunder won't even have to break their bank ("go max") to keep him if they win one playoff series this Spring. He'd probably even stay for less just if synergies there feel right.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Anthony will take the extension and reduce the tax hit and George can stay.
Otherwise I can't see the Thunder paying that much in taxes.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Presti must have had a plan before he set all of this up. The problem was obvious. So what's the plan? I'm guessing that it involves Anthony, not George.

Anyway, it is sort of amusing to see the new luxury tax system strangling the Thunder and the Warriors. Yeah, the small market teams really showed us.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
I'd bet the Thunder won't even have to break their bank ("go max") to keep him if they win one playoff series this Spring. He'd probably even stay for less just if synergies there feel right.

Lets see go home and play in front of family and friends and get paid or stay and take a pay cut because of synergy
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject:

seems to me that they had way more upside when they had Durant, Westbrook and Harden than they do with Westbrook, George and Carmelo.

If they didn't want to spend the money then, hard to believe they would spend it now.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
seems to me that they had way more upside when they had Durant, Westbrook and Harden than they do with Westbrook, George and Carmelo.

If they didn't want to spend the money then, hard to believe they would spend it now.

That's what I say. But sometimes people try hard to make up for their mistakes. This trio will never win a title under the Warriors regime. Metaphorically, it would be like a player on the break blowing a lay-up, and then trying hard to make up for it by swiping at the guy who rebounded the ball, only to foul him.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

The solution for OKC could be offering Melo something like the Spurs did with Gasol. Make him opt-out of his 27/1 deal and offer him something like 36/3.

This way they could give PG the extra 10 million for the max deal and keep their pay roll more or less the same as this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

It was a different ownership group then so it is apples and oranges
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:

It was a different ownership group then so it is apples and oranges

OH, I forgot that one. Actually wondered after I wrote it but never checked it out.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Isn't Clay Bennett still the owner? How is the ownership group different?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm still trying to figure this one out, why they did not deal for Blake, a hometown boy, locked up for several years. Assuming they are sincere when they say they'll spend the money, is PG13 so much better that it's worth the gamble to lose him for nothing? Well, tonight he looked very good against Denver. But overall, you can have a legitimate debate.

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe they don't mind one way or the other. They either get their man in PG13, or say "oh well, we tried!"
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:

Clay Bennett is the president of the group that owns the Thunder, but he only has about a 5-10% share of the team.

George B. Kaiser, whose worth $10 billion, bought 20% of the team in 2013. Another owner, who had a 20% share, died a couple of years ago. I think they had some other changes in the ownership groups, so it's probably at least 50% different than it was when they let Harden go.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

not sure he is a super star therefor i dont see them spending $250 mil
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
raffi wrote:

Clay Bennett is the president of the group that owns the Thunder, but he only has about a 5-10% share of the team.

George B. Kaiser, whose worth $10 billion, bought 20% of the team in 2013. Another owner, who had a 20% share, died a couple of years ago. I think they had some other changes in the ownership groups, so it's probably at least 50% different than it was when they let Harden go.

Yup. But with differing ownership stakes, one could also argue that it's more difficult to get a consensus on whether to spend 250-300m on a team that may not even be an elite team in the West next year and as WB inevitably ages. Lots of voices. Different sources of $ for sure, but if there's anything, it's that rich guys like these don't like blowing money for no reason.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
raffi wrote:

Yup. But with differing ownership stakes, one could also argue that it's more difficult to get a consensus on whether to spend 250-300m on a team that may not even be an elite team in the West next year and as WB inevitably ages. Lots of voices. Different sources of $ for sure, but if there's anything, it's that rich guys like these don't like blowing money for no reason.

Only it isn’t their personal money, it is organization funds
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
raffi wrote:

Only it isn’t their personal money, it is organization funds

I don't think any of us know how the ownership group is set up.

But how do you make a pitch to them that they will foot, what may amount to the largest combined salary/luxury + repeater taxes for a team that may be at best, a 4th seed in the West.

The playoffs will certainly show the ceiling of the team. If they are eliminated in rounds 1 or 2, I doubt that group will ok such astronomical prices for a mediocre product. We also do not know if that group wants profits back.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup. But with differing ownership stakes, one could also argue that it's more difficult to get a consensus on whether to spend 250-300m .

That's not really how ownership groups function (it's not like Jeanie has to get a consensus from all her siblings and other partners before the team offers a big free agent contract).

Beyond that, I'm in the camp that thinks the Thunder thought all this through and decided to offer him a max decision before they made the trade; all this "will they or won't they" is just reporters filling space and fans killing time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Lets see go home and play in front of family and friends and get paid or stay and take a pay cut because of synergy

He can get paid more in OKC.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup. But with differing ownership stakes, one could also argue that it's more difficult to get a consensus on whether to spend 250-300m .

That's not really how ownership groups function (it's not like Jeanie has to get a consensus from all her siblings and other partners before the team offers a big free agent contract).

Beyond that, I'm in the camp that thinks the Thunder thought all this through and decided to offer him a max decision before they made the trade; all this "will they or won't they" is just reporters filling space and fans killing time.

So the guys who put up the most $ (over Clay Bennett) won't have any (or minimal) say about how the franchise proceeds? Highly doubt that.

Buss family was a trust. These are several co-owners. I doubt Clay just does what he wants without the tacit approval of his co-owners.

And if OKC does re-sign PG13, my point has been that they will inevitably cost cut (Adams will be the likely sacrifice) b/c there is no way they can sustain the repeated repeater tax.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So the guys who put up the most $ (over Clay Bennett) won't have any (or minimal) say about how the franchise proceeds? Highly doubt that.

Buss family was a trust. These are several co-owners. I doubt Clay just does what he wants without the tacit approval of his co-owners.

And if OKC does re-sign PG13, my point has been that they will inevitably cost cut (Adams will be the likely sacrifice) b/c there is no way they can sustain the repeated repeater tax.

All reports are that they are willing to give it a couple of seasons to see what happens. That fits perfectly with George’s window of 30% max and 35% max.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

In recent years there has been many players walk away from getting paid the most money. That's often times not the deciding factor. Lebron (twice), Aldridge, Durant, Howard, Bosh, Hayward.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

In recent years there has been many players walk away from getting paid the most money. That's often times not the deciding factor. Lebron (twice), Aldridge, Durant, Howard, Bosh, Hayward.

RIF, the post I responded to said he would have to take a pay cut to stay in OKC. If he is willing to take less money, maybe that poster is correct.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: