My son is going on his first recruiting trips next month

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: My son is going on his first recruiting trips next month

2 of them are out of state so I'll let him do that on his own and have his fun. But the one in state I would like to attend with him. It's been 25 years since I went on my recruiting trips and between my younger siblings and the fact my parents both worked they didn't even ask if they could come. Would it be out of bounds for me to ask the coach if I can attend? I'm not sure in today's world how things are done and I'm hoping somebody here has recently gone through it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject:

Wow what sport?
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject:

Football
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

Only if they promise you free stuff and hookers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:

Duh.
It is a recruiting trip.

Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
Football

Don't know what level he's going to play at, but there's no better place than Nebraska...just saying.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: My son is going on his first recruiting trips next month

buduan wrote:
2 of them are out of state so I'll let him do that on his own and have his fun. But the one in state I would like to attend with him. It's been 25 years since I went on my recruiting trips and between my younger siblings and the fact my parents both worked they didn't even ask if they could come. Would it be out of bounds for me to ask the coach if I can attend? I'm not sure in today's world how things are done and I'm hoping somebody here has recently gone through it.

And no, it's actually good if you can attend. Puts your mind at ease. Most coaches would love the parents to come and then feel comfortable with their child going out of state. If you don't go, you may have lingering doubts and be more apt to want your son to stay closer to home, to a program you are more familiar with
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
buduan wrote:
Football

Don't know what level he's going to play at, but there's no better place than Nebraska...just saying.

Sure...Just as long as you never leave the stadium.

Go Buffs!
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: My son is going on his first recruiting trips next month

Huskers wrote:
buduan wrote:

And no, it's actually good if you can attend. Puts your mind at ease. Most coaches would love the parents to come and then feel comfortable with their child going out of state. If you don't go, you may have lingering doubts and be more apt to want your son to stay closer to home, to a program you are more familiar with

Exactly. If you ever follow recruiting you hear stories about how much a recruit loved their visit and are ready to commit, but mom or dad didn't go
with them and don't have their blessing.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
20,000 wrote:

Duh.
It is a recruiting trip.

Then def go! this is the dad going right?
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My son is going on his first recruiting trips next month

Huskers wrote:
buduan wrote:

I texted the coach and he immediately responded with an enthusiastic "yes."

Feb 10th it is!
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Huskers wrote:
buduan wrote:
Football

Sure...Just as long as you never leave the stadium.

Go Buffs!

I'm looking through the by-laws of Lakersground, I'm fairly sure this is a ban-able offense. There should be zero positive comments about sCUm allowed. The only good thing that comes from there are my edibles. haha
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: My son is going on his first recruiting trips next month

buduan wrote:
Huskers wrote:
buduan wrote:

I texted the coach and he immediately responded with an enthusiastic "yes."

Feb 10th it is!

That's great! Have fun. Which schools are you visiting?
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Well that was a letdown. Was all excited about visiting our first school this weekend when I get a text message from the coach this morning apologizing because he thought my son was a senior. He's only a junior. It's only on his Hudl, Maxpreps, and school website. Because it would be a NCAA violation the trip was cancelled. I immediately called the other two schools and the same thing. The reason they were offering him was because of his performance at Jesse Sapolu's camp. They saw him punking kids from Mater Dei, St John Bosco, etc and assumed he was a senior. I guess nobody bothered to to do any due diligence.

I guess we will be taking our trips next year
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I think you should and can go. I don't know what the itinerary is like, but when I went on mine my dad or both parents came with. It was a day and a half recruiting trip. The first day would be a group meeting about the school or at one school a one-on-one meeting with the chancellor (maybe?) about the education aspect and my dad would come with me to that. Then he would leave to his hotel or go home and I would go off with my host students. Then the next day there was another meeting where my dad came to join.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
Well that was a letdown. Was all excited about visiting our first school this weekend when I get a text message from the coach this morning apologizing because he thought my son was a senior. He's only a junior. It's only on his Hudl, Maxpreps, and school website. Because it would be a NCAA violation the trip was cancelled. I immediately called the other two schools and the same thing. The reason they were offering him was because of his performance at Jesse Sapolu's camp. They saw him punking kids from Mater Dei, St John Bosco, etc and assumed he was a senior. I guess nobody bothered to to do any due diligence.

I guess we will be taking our trips next year

You can still go, it would be classified as an 'unofficial visit' and the school can no longer pay for anything. Once he's a SR, the school can pay to have you come out.

Now costs will become a factor, but I still recommend going on as many visits as you can with your son and help guide him and help him ask questions that aren't necessarily football related. A big thing is the academic support he will have at whichever school he will attend. You, as a parent, can also research to see what players on the team are majoring in and see how feasible it is for your son to major in what he wants. Then talk to some of the athletes and see how demanding it is and how much of a struggle it is to schedule classes around practices.

Unofficials, a lot of times, families keep it closer to home, a day drive or a one night stay. Officials can be farther away as the school will pay for the travel and lodging.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: