#official #millennials #thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I think where you live (city vs. suburbs vs. the sticks) separates modern Americans moreso than generations.
I have alot more in common with cultured, open minded, city dwelling, older generation people than I do with millennials who live in low population areas.

I agree with this. Atlanta is a perfect example. Georgia is as red a state as they come, but the ATL metro area is completely blue. Does someone living in the city have much anything in common with someone living in the country, regardless of age group? I think not.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject:

I think it's inevitable that every generation will complain about the entitled attitudes of the next generation.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
I think it's inevitable that every generation will complain about the entitled attitudes of the next generation.

That's the truth right there.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:

Get off my grass.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

I am of Generation X, and I must say millenials didnt create participation trophies. The baby losers who never worked hard enough to win at anything from Generation X did. They felt sorry for themselves and didnt want their kids who they would never push hard enough to have a sense of accomplishment and they created them.

I notice the parents of Millenials that pushed them to succeed do work hard and are on the path of success, those who had parents who made excuses for them and pumped them up with pills are the ones that give the whole generation a bad rap
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

I’m a Baby Boomer, and I can assure you that Generation X did not create participation trophies. Your parents did replace corporal punishment with pills, though. Of course, your parents were us. We were fond of altered mental states.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Onus is on you to prove it. You're the one making the claim.
I mean seriously? So some team of 11 year olds wasn't allowed to beat some team of 11 year olds by 35 (how often is that even happening?) and somehow the entire Millennial generation suffers from an endemic of participation trophies?

Literally the only people who qualify in your scenario are those who:
1) played sports
2) played a sport at a young age where these mercy rules were implemented: I played basketball and this is unheard of
3) were actually part of these blowouts on either end
4) this experience was enough to imprint on their mind and shape their worldview
5) when this (bleep) stops applying like in high school (I've definitely seen 50-0 blowouts in high school football), it didn't undo the damage of the above point

That's, like, 0.1% of the population.

Onus is on me to prove these types of rules exist? I mean, it's been discussed ad nauseum for at least the past decade from your average youth sports parents to more notable folks such as James Harrison and Bryce Harper.

What is your source for the 0.1%? The percentage of games in which mercy rules have been invoked is much higher than that.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/08/16/ini-0816-hs-football-season-preview-mercy-rule/88567978/
Quote:
Last year, in 157 games involving Indiana teams on the first night of the season, the average score was 37-13. There were more games decided by 30 points or more (53) than decided by 10 points or fewer (36).

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/competition-or-compassion-is-a-mercy-rule-good-for-high-school-basketball
Quote:
Borgmann says about 20 percent of games during the 2016-2017 season ended with a point difference of 35 or more.

https://www.tnonline.com/2014/sep/25/mercy-rule-games-have-been-prominant
Quote:
Of the 34 games played so far this season involving area teams, 14 of them or 41 percent have been mercy rule games.

http://chsaanow.com/2017-02-02/basketball-committee-forwards-mercy-rule-recommendation-to-legislative-council/ (this one is for basketball)
Quote:
So far this season, 17.2 percent of girls games (841 of 4,892 total) have finished with a margin of 35 points or more. On the boys side, 12.8 percent of boys (633 of 4,952) have done so.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article127296469.html
Quote:
In the Treasure Valley, 50-of-150 (33 percent) regular-season football games in the 5A, 4A, 3A and 2A classifications fell under the rule.

Whether or not these types of rules impact youths at later stages of life is definitely debatable, but whether these rules exist in broad fashion isn't, really. In either case, if you're focused on the particulars of mercy rules, I think you're missing the point. The point is the thought process that drives these rules and actions, whether it is mercy rule or participation trophy thought. The thought process being that we must shield kids from harsh reality.

The opponents to these rules have long said that if you put mercy rules in place, it will contribute to these kids being unable to handle adversity later in life. Now I don't think these rules were the sole contributor to the safe space movement, but, in my opinion, at best, they certainly didn't help.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Grow up, learn some work ethic and quit complaining that life is not tailored to your 12 hour a day xbox addiction. Otherwise, quit complaining that you can't keep/get a job.

Oh, did that hurt your sensitive little feelings?

People try to put em down just because they don't get around.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

Peter Townsend did not get his wish. He’s old.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

I'm a millennial; I complain about millennials.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I’m a Baby Boomer, and I can assure you that Generation X did not create participation trophies. Your parents did replace corporal punishment with pills, though. Of course, your parents were us. We were fond of altered mental states.

Which is why you said "get off my grass" and not "lawn".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Which is why you said "get off my grass" and not "lawn".

Exactly.

WWII Generation: Get off my lawn.

Baby Boomer: Keep your hands off my grass, dude.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

One thing to consider (and I can't believe I'm defending these whelps...GET OFF MY LAWN) is the cost of tuition and real estate relative to income has increased astronomically. I can't imagine getting out of college with an entry level corporate job building for the future at the moment. You ain't buying even a starter Condo by your late 20's unless you've got some rich parents or do something well outside of hte norm.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
tox wrote:
I mean seriously? So some team of 11 year olds wasn't allowed to beat some team of 11 year olds by 35 (how often is that even happening?) and somehow the entire Millennial generation suffers from an endemic of participation trophies?

1) played sports
2) played a sport at a young age where these mercy rules were implemented: I played basketball and this is unheard of
4) this experience was enough to imprint on their mind and shape their worldview
5) when this (bleep) stops applying like in high school (I've definitely seen 50-0 blowouts in high school football), it didn't undo the damage of the above point

Onus is on me to prove these types of rules exist? I mean, it's been discussed ad nauseum for at least the past decade from your average youth sports parents to more notable folks such as James Harrison and Bryce Harper.

What is your source for the 0.1%? The percentage of games in which mercy rules have been invoked is much higher than that.

Whether or not these types of rules impact youths at later stages of life is definitely debatable, but whether these rules exist in broad fashion isn't, really. In either case, if you're focused on the particulars of mercy rules, I think you're missing the point. The point is the thought process that drives these rules and actions, whether it is mercy rule or participation trophy thought. The thought process being that we must shield kids from harsh reality.

The opponents to these rules have long said that if you put mercy rules in place, it will contribute to these kids being unable to handle adversity later in life. Now I don't think these rules were the sole contributor to the safe space movement, but, in my opinion, at best, they certainly didn't help.

[Truncated the links for brevity]

You're moving goal posts. First of all, half of your links are about "Should mercy rules exist?" which obviously means they don't. Second of all, these are high school sports, so the fact that players are getting walloped makes my point (rule #5).

More importantly, your links are talking about the mercy rules I talked about, where the game stops or whatever when a score difference is met. That's vastly different than the type you brought up, which were mercy rules which actively prevents teams from scoring more and penalizing them for doing so, despite not ending the game.

And sure, you can argue that mercy rules and the like speak a lot to the mindset of parenting, and I agree it's plausible. But you need a far more nuanced look into understanding how much of Millennials actual need "safe spaces" (and compare it to past generations). Certainly a cursory reference to "participation trophies" and "mercy rules" doesn't make the cut.

And as far as safe spaces go, I don't think you understand how unpopular they are even within student campuses. What happens is a couple of students want safe spaces, and the national media blows it up into something ridiculous and people generalize the entire generation. People are people and not that much changes.

And hypothesis on generational changes of Millennials should start and end with the internet/ social media because that's where they are fundamentally different from past generations.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
And hypothesis on generational changes of Millennials should start and end with the internet/ social media because that's where they are fundamentally different from past generations.

That's true. It has affected every generation, but even the oldest millennials grew up with computers. The younger millennials are immersed in the internet and social media in ways that are difficult to comprehend.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:

That's true. It has affected every generation, but even the oldest millennials grew up with computers. The younger millennials are immersed in the internet and social media in ways that are difficult to comprehend.

Pay Phone = Pre paid wireless
Book = Google
Pager = an app for Kindle

Last edited by lakerjoshua on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I am a millennial and I don't know literally anyone who got and/or wanted a participation trophy. You think an 8 year old cares about a participation trophy? You think a 16 y/o varsity track athlete wants an award for getting 8/8 at league finals? (bleep) no.

This is such a stupid meme and I have no idea where it came from. Participation trophies, if they existed at all, are for millennials' parents.

Participation trophies have always existed, and like you said, they’re not for the kids, they’re for the parents so they have something to put on the shelf as a souvenir for the money and time they spent on their kids’ extracurricular. Kids aren’t stupid, no one is walking around bragging about their “Most Congenial” award (which I got back in the day because I was a fairly terrible tennis player on my squad), and if kids are dumb enough to think their participation trophy is special there are a hundred kids at their school who will be more than willing to set them straight.

This whole (bleep) about the millennial s thing is tiring, especially since it’s no different than the (bleep) every generation does. Every generation thinks the generations after them are the worst ever. We humans don’t do well with change as we get older.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:

Pay Phone = Pre paid wireless
Book = Google
Pager = an app for Kindle

It's absolutely wild for me to see toddlers navigate through an Ipad with more fluency than their grandparents. I consider myself REALLY in touch with tech/gadgets and everything of that nature but things like that make me pause.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

okay guys so i'm like not getting any bars right now so like i feel like we should pull over until google maps is back up otherwise like i feel like we're going to like get lost
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
okay guys so i'm like not getting any bars right now so like i feel like we should pull over until google maps is back up otherwise like i feel like we're going to like get lost

You might be a millenial but you 100% have the heart of a Gen-X'er.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

i think so, fam. i have just as much real contempt for millennial complexes. And don't get me started on gen Z...the simpering, dabbing, snapchatting little (bleep).
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject:

I'm a millennial and I enjoy your posts on this thread.

I'm just wondering, do people actually talk and act like your posts? I came to the mainland a year and a half ago so my experience is limited with people out here.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:

I'm a millennial and I enjoy your posts on this thread.

I'm just wondering, do people actually talk and act like your posts? I came to the mainland a year and a half ago so my experience is limited with people out here.

Oh, god, yes they do. These lampoons are composites, of course, but they are authentic to speech and behavior.

just, like, yeah, i feel like it's really like, legit, like, legit legit.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

i think so, fam. i have just as much real contempt for millennial complexes. And don't get me started on gen Z...the simpering, dabbing, snapchatting little (bleep).

The strikes against Gen Xers in the 90s were that we were slackers who watched too much TV as kids and were highly fluent in pop culture garbage. That's true, tho.

Linklater of the 70s based teen movie "Dazed And Confused" did a more obscure 80s version called "Everybody Wants Some!" that was set in 1981. The script sucked, but my God at his ability to recreate a point in time like that. Looked like the first few "Friday The 13th"s. There was an extended scene where all the lads in a frat were playing some kind of sport or physical activity outside in the daylight and the lack of phones in that movie started to become starkly obvious within 30 mins.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
tox wrote:

1) played sports

[Truncated the links for brevity]

You're moving goal posts. First of all, half of your links are about "Should mercy rules exist?" which obviously means they don't. Second of all, these are high school sports, so the fact that players are getting walloped makes my point (rule #5).

More importantly, your links are talking about the mercy rules I talked about, where the game stops or whatever when a score difference is met. That's vastly different than the type you brought up, which were mercy rules which actively prevents teams from scoring more and penalizing them for doing so, despite not ending the game.

And sure, you can argue that mercy rules and the like speak a lot to the mindset of parenting, and I agree it's plausible. But you need a far more nuanced look into understanding how much of Millennials actual need "safe spaces" (and compare it to past generations). Certainly a cursory reference to "participation trophies" and "mercy rules" doesn't make the cut.

And as far as safe spaces go, I don't think you understand how unpopular they are even within student campuses. What happens is a couple of students want safe spaces, and the national media blows it up into something ridiculous and people generalize the entire generation. People are people and not that much changes.

Ok, first you denied the existence, or perhaps, the prevalence of participation trophies and mercy rules. Now you're denying the existence of safe spaces and characterizing it as a wish of only a couple of students?

Once again, I think the prevalence of this is greater than what you believe it to be, and by the way, on both sides of the spectrum. More than half of college students polled state they believe that colleges should "create a positive learning environment for all students by prohibiting certain speech or expression of viewpoints that are offensive or biased against certain groups of people". This was 47% for students that identified as republican and 61% for students who identified as democrat.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2017/09/18/views-among-college-students-regarding-the-first-amendment-results-from-a-new-survey/

I think it's probably fair to say that we don't really know (or at least, I haven't seen the data) if this is exceedingly different from past generations. But what I do know is, there are college students demanding safe spaces, there are numerous universities that have employed safe space policies, and now there are universities denouncing safe space and trigger warnings (i.e. Univ of Chicago most recently). In fact, Univ of Chicago sent a letter to every single freshman letting them know they will NOT be getting safe spaces and that the university does not support the concept of trigger warnings.

Odd, that they'd bother to go through that effort for something only a couple people in the whole of America care about.

In either case, I think we're getting way too in to the weeds here. Do we really need to debate whether these things exist? The more substantive discussion IMO is why they exist and whether, to your point, there is a function of social media at play and whether that sits in addition to, or entirely on top of, overbearing parenting that raised their kids in ways that also produced concepts like participation trophies, mercy rules, and things of that ilk.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: