the younger generation always gets defecated upon
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
okay guys so i'm like not getting any bars right now so like i feel like we should pull over until google maps is back up otherwise like i feel like we're going to like get lost

I'm a millennial and I enjoy your posts on this thread.

I'm just wondering, do people actually talk and act like your posts? I came to the mainland a year and a half ago so my experience is limited with people out here.

Oh, god, yes they do. These lampoons are composites, of course, but they are authentic to speech and behavior.

just, like, yeah, i feel like it's really like, legit, like, legit legit.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Ok, first you denied the existence, or perhaps, the prevalence of participation trophies and mercy rules. Now you're denying the existence of safe spaces and characterizing it as a wish of only a couple of students?

Once again, I think the prevalence of this is greater than what you believe it to be, and by the way, on both sides of the spectrum. More than half of college students polled state they believe that colleges should "create a positive learning environment for all students by prohibiting certain speech or expression of viewpoints that are offensive or biased against certain groups of people". This was 47% for students that identified as republican and 61% for students who identified as democrat.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2017/09/18/views-among-college-students-regarding-the-first-amendment-results-from-a-new-survey/

I think it's probably fair to say that we don't really know (or at least, I haven't seen the data) if this is exceedingly different from past generations. But what I do know is, there are college students demanding safe spaces, there are numerous universities that have employed safe space policies, and now there are universities denouncing safe space and trigger warnings (i.e. Univ of Chicago most recently). In fact, Univ of Chicago sent a letter to every single freshman letting them know they will NOT be getting safe spaces and that the university does not support the concept of trigger warnings.

Odd, that they'd bother to go through that effort for something only a couple people in the whole of America care about.

In either case, I think we're getting way too in to the weeds here. Do we really need to debate whether these things exist? The more substantive discussion IMO is why they exist and whether, to your point, there is a function of social media at play and whether that sits in addition to, or entirely on top of, overbearing parenting that raised their kids in ways that also produced concepts like participation trophies, mercy rules, and things of that ilk.

That poll is stupid because it's either end of the extreme. Do I support a campus culture where you are allowed to call people the n word (with hateful intent) and not face any repercussions? No. Does that make me one of the 53% safe space millennials? Maybe. But there are gradations there.

If you are claiming millennials have a problem with campus spaces where you can freely call black students the n word, then yes absolutely I agree millennials support safe spaces. But of course, that's not what safe space means anymore in the context of older generations shaking their fists at millennials. Now it means people who don't want to read books with rape without an explicit trigger warning, or a place where people can't give contrary opinions on, say, politics. Stuff that is easily parodied. That (bleep) is unpopular, for the most part.

That poll you linked? I would be one of the 53% who agree with Stance 1, even as I'm on the philosophical side of the UChicago dean, i.e. that people should definitely encounter opinions and viewpoints that challenge them instead of retreating from them.

Here's a quote from Yale's dean that wraps it up nicely. Yale of course got a lot of media attention a few years ago:

Quote:
Students calling for a safe space are not saying they want their classroom to be a safe space. They know the class is going to be a place to push and be pushed, where unusual or different ideas are going to be put out there and they have to wrestle with them. What the students are talking about when they say they want a safe space is, “I would like to be able to come back to my college if I forgot my ID, and somebody is going to let me in because they recognize me, instead of being that black kid at the gate who can’t get in because he’s forgotten his ID.” They just want to be students. The safe space issue has really been bent beyond recognition from the way I understand it.

Quote:
Do we really need to debate whether these things exist? The more substantive discussion IMO is why they exist

Do you realize how silly this pair of statements is? Of course we'd need to debate whether they exist, because debating why they exist presupposes they exist in the first place. That's what I'm disputing -- analysis that starts from "Millennials are entitled and fragile and need safe spaces, how did social media affect that" is the wrong way to do it. Now, if you wanted to say "Millennials grew up with computers and social media; how has that affected them, and has that led to the supposed-safe space phenomenon?" we could have a real discussion.

Incidentally, I don't have any evidence of this because I'm beholden to my own generation, but I suspect the difference between Millennials and the past generations is that the internet has democratized thoughts so that junior bankers (for example) are exposed to other people who [also] think that their lifestyle is absurd. Whereas before the status quo was a far more powerful force, so people put their head down and worked.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
okay guys so i'm like not getting any bars right now so like i feel like we should pull over until google maps is back up otherwise like i feel like we're going to like get lost

You might be a millenial but you 100% have the heart of a Gen-X'er.

i think so, fam. i have just as much real contempt for millennial complexes. And don't get me started on gen Z...the simpering, dabbing, snapchatting little (bleep).

The strikes against Gen Xers in the 90s were that we were slackers who watched too much TV as kids and were highly fluent in pop culture garbage. That's true, tho.

Linklater of the 70s based teen movie "Dazed And Confused" did a more obscure 80s version called "Everybody Wants Some!" that was set in 1981. The script sucked, but my God at his ability to recreate a point in time like that. Looked like the first few "Friday The 13th"s. There was an extended scene where all the lads in a frat were playing some kind of sport or physical activity outside in the daylight and the lack of phones in that movie started to become starkly obvious within 30 mins.

80s footage
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

The mods allowing trash like this thread to remain here reflects poorly on them
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
Part of my job is to locate, recruit, interview, hire and train new employees. In my experience, the best word to describe millenials’ attitude toward work and that entire process is.... "meh".

"How long before this position allows me to work from home?"
ay. i aint mad at that. cause i'm with em on that one. all this excess driving in excess L.A> traffic, creating excess CO2. let a bruh work from home. i dont need to see you face to face just so we can say we did. 90% of our interactions are thru email/on the job instant messaging anyway. i'm a millennial when it comes to working for the house.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43195977

Millennials: The fattest generation
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: