How Do You Feel About the Trade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you love/hate the trade?
Loved it.
67%
 67%  [ 172 ]
Hated it.
8%
 8%  [ 21 ]
Too soon to tell.
24%
 24%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 255

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Frye is the hidden gold in this trade. Another stretch big that can play with Randle (now all four of their top four bigs can play with each other effectively), but also a hedge if they can't get Lopez to sign cheap in the off season.

This is what I’ve been saying. Plus he’s a great locker room vet and a friend of Luke.

finally the team will employ one of Luke's friends...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

my evaluation of the trade is it's a "boom" or "moderately bad" trade that will only be able to be evaluated after this summer's draft and free agency.

it's a "Boom" if:

The Lakers are able to sign PG-13 and Lebron this summer. It is really that simple. There will be a lot of spin and attempts to lower expectations until then, but this trade was made to create cap space this upcoming summer, and there are only 2 FA's that are currently expected to be truly on the market worthy of a max contract. The second, and much less likely path to this trade being considered successful is if we landed a starter level player with the Cleveland pick.

it's "moderately bad" if:

We are unable to secure both PG-13 and Lebron this summer. This trade did not need to happen to sign one of them, therefore signing only one max player would be irrelevant to this trade. Also if the player drafted ends up being the average #27th pick, that would not be a benefit from the trade. I have seen people make claims how IT and Frye are assets, and I simply do not believe this to be true. IT has the worst defensive metrics of any player in over 20 years, and has been a poor shooting high volume gunner since exiting Brad Stevens system and recovering from his injury. He was atrocious in Cleveland and a primary reason for their recent decline. Frye is done....and his defensive weaknesses often made him unplayable in Cleveland. I think we became a worse team this season, and the absence of JC and Nance will lead to less wins this season....which "could" decrease our chances at signing the FA's we seek this summer.

Most trades can only truly be evaluated at a later date....but this especially applies to trades for future assets and cap flexibility.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

We can sign one max next summer then punt the rest of the cap space until next summer. Getting rid of Nance, who would have a higher cap hold as an RFA in 2019, helps to facilitate that option of getting one max in 2018 and then another max guy in 2019. We could even go that route while retaining Randle if we can somehow manage to drop Deng.

Imagine PG in 2018 and then one of Leonard, Butler or Thompson in 2019?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
my evaluation of the trade is it's a "boom" or "moderately bad" trade that will only be able to be evaluated after this summer's draft and free agency.

it's a "Boom" if:

The Lakers are able to sign PG-13 and Lebron this summer. It is really that simple. There will be a lot of spin and attempts to lower expectations until then, but this trade was made to create cap space this upcoming summer, and there are only 2 FA's that are currently expected to be truly on the market worthy of a max contract. The second, and much less likely path to this trade being considered successful is if we landed a starter level player with the Cleveland pick.

it's "moderately bad" if:

We are unable to secure both PG-13 and Lebron this summer. This trade did not need to happen to sign one of them, therefore signing only one max player would be irrelevant to this trade. Also if the player drafted ends up being the average #27th pick, that would not be a benefit from the trade. I have seen people make claims how IT and Frye are assets, and I simply do not believe this to be true. IT has the worst defensive metrics of any player in over 20 years, and has been a poor shooting high volume gunner since exiting Brad Stevens system and recovering from his injury. He was atrocious in Cleveland and a primary reason for their recent decline. Frye is done....and his defensive weaknesses often made him unplayable in Cleveland. I think we became a worse team this season, and the absence of JC and Nance will lead to less wins this season....which "could" decrease our chances at signing the FA's we seek this summer.

Most trades can only truly be evaluated at a later date....but this especially applies to trades for future assets and cap flexibility.

I can at least see Frye getting the minimum if we do get PG and LBJ. You're right though, we need to wait until FA season this summer.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Eric Pincus talks Lakers-Cavs trade and more; TK has Entertainment News
https://www.spreaker.com/user/9808638/180208-fna-podcast
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
We can sign one max next summer then punt the rest of the cap space until next summer. Getting rid of Nance, who would have a higher cap hold as an RFA in 2019, helps to facilitate that option of getting one max in 2018 and then another max guy in 2019. We could even go that route while retaining Randle if we can somehow manage to drop Deng.

Yes. That sort of route is my preference. I really don’t like the “gotta spend all my tax return money at once” approach.

The other advantage is that it gives you some time to identify what the glaring needs are in order to get to the next level.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

I voted too soon to tell although I do like it. Not loving it yet.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Eric Pincus talks Lakers-Cavs trade and more; TK has Entertainment News
https://www.spreaker.com/user/9808638/180208-fna-podcast

43:50 of drivel until you get to Eric.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

that is irrelevant of this trade....we could have signed one max player this summer without doing this trade, and would be a better team this season and next. I am not against punting the space if needed....but trying to spin this trade as a success for what happens in the summer of 2019 is too far of a stretch for me. This trades real value is if the cap space can be utilized in the summer of 2018.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

that is irrelevant of this trade....we could have signed one max player this summer without doing this trade, and would be a better team this season and next. I am not against punting the space if needed....but trying to spin this trade as a success for what happens in the summer of 2019 is too far of a stretch for me. This trades real value is if the cap space can be utilized in the summer of 2018.

I don’t disagree. But I think 2018 could still be a success even if we only sign one max player. The freed up cap space from this trade could also be used to sign some non max players given we are in a buyers market this offseason.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Good trade. We had a logjam at the pf position and trading Nance gives Kuzma more playing time and maybe we'll even see some Thomas Bryant. Trading JC gives Hart more playing time. On top of that, we might find a shooter or a defensive big with the Cavs pick.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Beautiful! That's what I'm thinking...PG this year and then one of those 3 in '19
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

If the objective was to free up cap space - win.

If the object was to get a #1 - win.

I hate to lose LNJ, but he's near/at his ceiling. Good rotation player, but not a unique or rare skillset. It seemed like the FO was setting us up for an LNJ trade all along.

Solid A.
bevwenz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Jr was my favorite on this current roster, but I understand it. He’s from Cle so no bitter feelings.

His family lives there and it's where his dad played so maybe it's a great place for him

His younger brother is a 6'10" HS senior who plays for an Akron area high school...he's thrilled to have his older brother back home. Great for the entire family
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I don’t disagree. But I think 2018 could still be a success even if we only sign one max player. The freed up cap space from this trade could also be used to sign some non max players given we are in a buyers market this offseason.

100% agree....it will be a huge success if we can land one max player, but I do not think there is a direct link to this trade
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

bevwenz wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Jr was my favorite on this current roster, but I understand it. He’s from Cle so no bitter feelings.

His family lives there and it's where his dad played so maybe it's a great place for him

His younger brother is a 6'10" HS senior who plays for an Akron area high school...he's thrilled to have his older brother back home. Great for the entire family

Cleveland will absolutely love "Nance".....that is his home as far as they are concerned.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
governator wrote:
32 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
32 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Should we really assume IT4 is just a throw in and Lakers have no interest in resigning him?

His cap hold is extremely friendly and he could be kept with two 30m max stars.

You never know. We have 25 more games to take a look at him.

Word is that hip is bad and not going to ever be the same, and he's likely to just do it in one day soon.

Yeah I've heard similar. It's really sad.

Wow, what did Celtics medical miss?

The Celtics new of the extent of his hip injury but the Cavs decided to take him anyways. It's pretty much on the Cavs Medical doctors.

Yeah, he injured himself as a Celtic, but Cleveland was betting on him having most of a season of productivity in him.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

If IT can get buckets off the bench I think we can catch 8
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I marked loved it, but it is still too early to tell. Still got to love this FO and their confidence.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

I guess I'm in the minority at this point but I really, REALLY, would prefer to stay away from LBJ. I'm liking more and more the idea of signing PG13 this summer and then another max next summer and keeping as much of our young core together during the next 5-10 years.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority at this point but I really, REALLY, would prefer to stay away from LBJ. I'm liking more and more the idea of signing PG13 this summer and then another max next summer and keeping as much of our young core together during the next 5-10 years.

Im with you about staying away from Lebron. And I actually like Lebron a little. I just dont see PG risking his career to come here to play with unproven pups.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Personally the player I want on this team the most is Leonard.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Nance gone = HATE IT.

I've had all day to process it and still not happy. Nance does the blue collar work and intangibles that you just can't teach. Every team needs guys like that. Like Luke said, he was the captain of our defense. Gonna pain me to see this dude wearing another jersey. Should've been a Laker for life. Ugh.
Daiei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

rancar wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
I love Gary's game, I will miss him for sure. But the bright side is more PT for Kuzma who has not been getting enough lately.

Larry

Gary
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm good with this trade. I really like Larry but fact is cavs a better fit for his skills anyway (that hard nose player off the bench type), at least for this year. As for JC...his instant scoring should be (for this season) mimicked by IT.

I like this deal from a potential perspective. IT helped greatly to turn around the celtics and maybe just maybe he gets right this last third of the season and really helps. He's done it before. Maybe he stays after this year if he plays well enough. If not no biggie we can part ways.

I'm just curious if he will be coming off the bench or slotted as a starter considering the solid play we've had of late with KCP BI Hart JR and brook as starters. Plus he will have to play better d or luke will just bench him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: