Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 518, 519, 520 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

I said all season when people were crapping all over Luke that we would be better in the second half of the season.

Luke said so himself that in the shortened training camp that they worked only on D and had no time to implement his offense. He said that the O would improve as the season went on because the team would have more time to work on incorporated new sets and plays.

That combined with the fact that we have a really really tough schedule to start the season made the team look worse than they were.

I am so happy they have turned the corner. These kids are playing really good D for their age and now they are actually putting the ball in the hoop as well. Go Lakesow!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

In fairness, the people who were “crapping” thought we’d be much better second half as well. And also to be fair, he’s made a lot of changes after the losing streak. So there’s truth to some of his cooking needing to set and patience being required, and truth to him learning from some early mistakes. Both are good things. I also think the front office has moved off some early stances that held him back some too, but that’s for a different discussion.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

Luke had questionable rotations to start the season. He's changed that significantly. Would be great to see him able to move KCP to the bench, and let Hart keep starting, but I'm assuming that's not possible due to the political implications of it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
2019 wrote:
this Luke thread is really quiet now that we're winning... guess he is doing a pretty good job after all

I mean, what do you expect people to say? It’s pretty self-evident that he lost the team two months ago.

So, he lost the team then he found the team? Where were they? Were they in the weight room the whole time? Maybe they went to lunch?

Please advise.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

The team plays hard and have become consistently good on defense. Even with the trades, the team is now starting to feel like a system now. With Clarkson & Nance traded, and with no IT or Frye, they were able to just plug in Zubac in Nance's role as the backup center. The offense is way better since the new year and team is finally starting to hit 3's now. IT with a chip on his shoulder will more than make up for Clarkson's scoring imo. Luke has established a legit system now, and he along with the team will get even better as well.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Judah wrote:
2019 wrote:
this Luke thread is really quiet now that we're winning... guess he is doing a pretty good job after all

I mean, what do you expect people to say? It’s pretty self-evident that he lost the team two months ago.

So, he lost the team then he found the team? Where were they? Were they in the weight room the whole time? Maybe they went to lunch?

Please advise.

LaVar is the real coach.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
In fairness, the people who were “crapping” thought we’d be much better second half as well. And also to be fair, he’s made a lot of changes after the losing streak. So there’s truth to some of his cooking needing to set and patience being required, and truth to him learning from some early mistakes. Both are good things. I also think the front office has moved off some early stances that held him back some too, but that’s for a different discussion.

You did Omar but I read a whole bunch of posts about bringing in Fizdale ect.

I know it is to be expected, people have different opinions. I also think you are right about those rotations being dictated by the FO to some degree.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Team 12-4 in their last 16 games with quality wins and missing their starting (and really only) point guard. The team is playing hard and improving their execution.

Walton is doing a good job coaching this season.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

Just realized that after playing Dallas tomorrow night, the next game isn’t until Wednesday. That’s pretty convenient since it’ll give IT and Frye some valuable time getting acclimated with the schemes and how/where they’ll fit.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

When is their press conference though?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Do we ever run these Spanish P&Rs ? I like the play.

https://www.hoopgrind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/FullSizeRender-2-3-2-600x558.jpg

The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

This is the main thing everyone crapping on Luke was asking for. He was being stubborn and arrogant earlier in the season refusing to make the obvious changes necessary to maximize the team. After Lavar called him out publicly we started seeing Luke make adjustments which have payed off.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

This is the main thing everyone crapping on Luke was asking for. He was being stubborn and arrogant earlier in the season refusing to make the obvious changes necessary to maximize the team. After Lavar called him out publicly we started seeing Luke make adjustments which have payed off.

Yea. I mean that arrogant coach. How dare he take time for lineups to jell before making a decision. How dare he put in players who actually rotate on defense to start the year.

Asking Luke to make adjustments is one thing. Then giving credit to Lavar? Wow. Is that just coach hate? Or am I missing the logic.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yea. I mean that arrogant coach. How dare he take time for lineups to jell before making a decision. How dare he put in players who actually rotate on defense to start the year.

Asking Luke to make adjustments is one thing. Then giving credit to Lavar? Wow. Is that just coach hate? Or am I missing the logic.

Take the homer glasses off. You don't need 30+ games to make an adjustment as a coach. The analytics AND the eye test showed that Luke's heavily played rotations just weren't working. It took Lavar's antics to get Luke to start trying something new.

Luke had the same problems last season too with his rotatons.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Take the homer glasses off. You don't need 30+ games to make an adjustment as a coach. The analytics AND the eye test showed that Luke's heavily played rotations just weren't working. It took Lavar's antics to get Luke to start trying something new.

*take off glasses*
Assuming your lineup complaint is about Julius not starting. Because there were others who complained about Kuzma not starting. Because at this time with Brook and Julius starting, the team is playing well.

Randle started on 12/29.
Lavar said Luke lost the team on 1/7.
So give Lavar credit?

I'm asking what logic you're using for that.
So now if you want to complain about Randle not starting from the start of the season, that's a complain that can be made. I may not agree with it, because I liked Julius off the bench as the small 5 at that time.

Another argument can be made to give him more minutes. Logic makes sense. I was on board with that.

Another argument can be made that Larry was a better team defender on rotations than Julius and Kuzma. From that you can argue that you dont think that team defense matters because of Larry's low offensive production. That's fair.

So hook me up with how you're giving Lavar credit. That's the one that doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Can't help but laugh every time I read one of you guys slap the "arrogant" label on Luke. You're entitled to criticize him, but it escapes me how any honest evaluation of his coaching would lead you to conclude that Luke is arrogant. Have you all forgotten the Byron Scott era that quickly? Do yourself a favor and go rewatch one of Byron's post-game interviews. Doesn't matter which one you choose. Just pick any random one so you can be reminded of what real arrogance looks like in a coach.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Here's a thought that may blow people's minds. If the Lakers are even in the running for a playoff spot by April, Walton will probably get serious consideration for Coach of the Year.

Casey has Toronto in the #1 seed and Stevens has everyone on his tip. Those two probably front runners. But other than them who else has made a mark? D'Antoni won last year. Pop hasn't done much extra this year. Same for Kerr. Donovan hasn't been good.

Luke dealt with LaVar, dealt with a difficult 2Max issue, incorporated three new starters (Brook, KCP and Lonzo) and you could almost say a fourth in Ingram. if he can incorporate Thomas in a productive way he will have a strong case.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Luke has his work cut out for him with his guard rotation when Lonzo comes back. Obviously Lonzo will start. KCP has been solid despite what some say around here. Hart has been playing great. Lonzo is coming back from injury and now add IT. KCP came here with the expectations of being a starting SG. That's why he signed a one year deal in a contract year. I don't think he will like going to the bench. IT is a veteran who wants to start. Hart is a rookie so it's logical he would go back to bench despite how well he is playing.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

*take off glasses*
Assuming your lineup complaint is about Julius not starting. Because there were others who complained about Kuzma not starting. Because at this time with Brook and Julius starting, the team is playing well.

Randle started on 12/29.
So give Lavar credit?

So now if you want to complain about Randle not starting from the start of the season, that's a complain that can be made. I may not agree with it, because I liked Julius off the bench as the small 5 at that time.

Another argument can be made to give him more minutes. Logic makes sense. I was on board with that.

Another argument can be made that Larry was a better team defender on rotations than Julius and Kuzma. From that you can argue that you dont think that team defense matters because of Larry's low offensive production. That's fair.

So hook me up with how you're giving Lavar credit. That's the one that doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.

Starting Julius but mostly giving him proper minutes and starting Josh Hart instead of barely G League talent Ennis. The rotations became tighter after Lavar called out Luke. Afterwards we started winning games again. Lit a fire under Luke and you're very naive if you think it didn't
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

*take off glasses*

Randle started on 12/29.
So give Lavar credit?

Starting Julius but mostly giving him proper minutes and starting Josh Hart instead of barely G League talent Ennis. The rotations became tighter after Lavar called out Luke. Afterwards we started winning games again. Lit a fire under Luke and you're very naive if you think it didn't

Lavar has nothing to do with our turnaround. All he did was complain anyone can do that and everyone does. If you dont want to give Luke credit thats on you
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

So there really are some people who think that Lavar is the reason Luke changed things ? LOL I thought everybody said this as a joke... Man, we'll probably hear anything in here, we should be careful not to let LG become RealGM...
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

*take off glasses*

Randle started on 12/29.
So give Lavar credit?

Lavar also said that Lonzo could have beaten MJ, and that he himself could have beaten MJ.
Nobody listens to anything Lavar has to say, and to think otherwise is way beyond naive.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Im seriously laughing out loud. Lavar is the real coach?!

So that means almost every media outlet are the real assistant coaches. They put the time in teaching defensive schematics?

NOW, take off your homer glasses and tell me if Randle is the same player from the preseason/start of the season. No one can honestly say he is. He actually very good defensively now. Early on he was blowing assignments and playing out of the offense.

Yes, Luke started Ennis. Our back up point guard. Although he didn't put up great offensive numbers he went out there and did what he had to do. The Lakers were winning with him as a starter. You think Josh Hart deserved to get a lot of minutes just because? He had to earn them. He earned them, as did Julius. Yes, being on the bench watching the game, going over game tape is called being coached.

We get results and people are STILL crying. I don't get it.

Our coaching staff spends more time with any of the players than any media outlet or Lavar will ever. I swear Lavar is like a god to some of you guys. Lavar didn't do a damn thing. He opened his mouth and complained. Like most of the media.

I won't come back to this cringe worthy thread. Lavar the real coach. Lavar the fire starter. Lavar the god.

I like Lavar, he's entertaining as hell but he didn't have a damn thing to do with our current success. The only success he will afford the Lakers is through him making Lonzo.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I always thought when people were saying Lavar gets credit it was said in a joking manner. I didnt think it was serious. Wow.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys. I thought I was going crazy lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 518, 519, 520 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 519 of 818
Jump to: