OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 968, 969, 970 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Stay away from Boogie. That Achilles injury was the nail in the coffin for me.

some team will give him the max and regret it
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
I don't think LeBron comes here even if we get PG. Probz ring chasing with the Rox. Here's my ideal scenario:

1) sign PG to MAX
2) resign Randle to 4 year $56mill
3) sign Lopez OR Nerlens Noel to 3 year, $33mill contract (2nd year PO, 3rd year TO)
4) offer IT MLE, let him walk if he gets a better deal elsewhere

Our lineup will be similar to:

Randle/ Noel OR BroLo /Zubac
Kuzma/ Noel / T.Bryant /Deng
BI/ Hart /pick
PG/ Hart
Lonzo/ BI

We would be playoff competitive in the short term (maybe more depending on development) and not cap strapped. Deng's contract falling off in 2020 would very importantly allow us to go for Davis in 2020 or to GO ALL IN FOR GIANNIS ANTETOKOMPOUNO IN 2021 when all our guys are hitting stride!!!

No backup point guard, sounds like a great plan.

BI has been STARTING at point guard to great success. Why can't he be the backup point? Even last year, many of his best games were when he was running point.

Kinda a moot point btw since we have guys at every position that can bring the ball up the court. Obviously, their minutes are going to be slightly staggered. Plus there's always guys like Caruso that can be had for cheap

So let’s just play Ingram 48 minutes a game...got you.

i think it is doable with lonzo, pg, hart, bi, kuz, randle and a center
everyone plays 32 minutes
of course you need some depth for overtime, back-to-back and injuries
caruso can play ok for 10 minutes a game and there is zubac//bryant that may be worth developing
draft/fa for a swing guard/point guard and a pf

center - C 32 minutes, Randle 16 minutes
pf - kuz - 32 minutes, randle 16 mintues
sf - bi - 16 minutes, hart -16 minutes
sg - pg - 32 minutes hart - 16 minutes
pg - lonzo - 32 minutes bi - 16 minutes

beat warriors in a 7 game series- no
beat houston or boston - probably pretty even
top 4 in nba i would suspect with gs, houston, boston
in my book, better than spurs, cavs, raptors, wolves
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
I don't think LeBron comes here even if we get PG. Probz ring chasing with the Rox. Here's my ideal scenario:

1) sign PG to MAX
3) sign Lopez OR Nerlens Noel to 3 year, $33mill contract (2nd year PO, 3rd year TO)

BI/ Hart /pick
PG/ Hart
Lonzo/ BI

We would be playoff competitive in the short term (maybe more depending on development) and not cap strapped. Deng's contract falling off in 2020 would very importantly allow us to go for Davis in 2020 or to GO ALL IN FOR GIANNIS ANTETOKOMPOUNO IN 2021 when all our guys are hitting stride!!!

Lakers asked Lopez if he wanted to be bought out, that's not a guy in their future plans.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I give Rob credit. For a rookie is doing a pretty good job so far.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
None of the new Cavs are playing tonight.. maybe the only way they lose to the Hawks.. they have 5-6 active guys who are legit NBA players. The rest are "who he play for" guys

Good. I'm rooting for them to lose as many games as possible.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

JPaulK0n wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Everyone assumes KCP is going to be gone after this season. But, if LeBron really does come here, I wouldn't be surprised if Lakers re-sign KCP since he has the same agent as LeBron. Same way J.R. Smith & Tristan Thompson got paid (AKA the LeBron tax) with the Cav's, I wouldn't completely rule out KCP being back and getting paid here as a back-up.

Exactly why I don't want Lebron. Too much baggage. Magic would indeed let him run the franchise and get his scrub buddies paid. We'd end up with James Jones and Kendrick Perkins taking up roster slots. No. Just no.

Any such deals should be made where we would have the option to cut KCP if LeBron ever left. I could live with signing KCP if that was the price of signing LeBron but I could not deal with getting stuck with him after LeBron felt like he wanted to leave again.

As I've said before, I want LeBron the player but not the GM. Seeing as that plan might already be put in motion though, I'm fine with KCP as long as we don't get stuck with him. I also fear they may give KCP Randle's spot and sign Paul George. This would be good for the team... but as a fan I'd have a bitter taste in my mouth if that ends up being the case.

Also, have a sneaky feeling that Nerlens Noel is going to be taking Randle's spot in the offseason as well if Bron comes. Even though Randle has earned and played himself into Lakers future imo. But, Lakers already have Kuzma, so that would make up for Randle signing elsewhere. So, if Lakers really do sign LeBron, watch for Noel and potentially KCP re-signing here as well since they are signed to Klutch Sports. LeBron is an all time great, but with his stature, once he is on your team, he runs the team essentially.

He can't hold Jules Jock strap
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

just an fyi because I see it asked a lot, IF, IF, IF they land the two big fishes Lebron and George, randle will not be back. I don't think anyone will complain. Randle is not a center and the Lakers will already have their backup PF in Kuzma.

They'd need to fill their roster with a defensive center and shooters.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
just an fyi because I see it asked a lot, IF, IF, IF they land the two big fishes Lebron and George, randle will not be back. I don't think anyone will complain. Randle is not a center and the Lakers will already have their backup PF in Kuzma.

Stretch 5*
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they give serious consideration to bringing Randle back as the starting center. They could be the fastest team, maybe one of the fastest ever. Defensively they can switch everything and they'd have the mobility to rotate extremely well all over the court.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
If any of you are interested in Darius and my thoughts on the trade...

https://soundcloud.com/user-456873398/lakers-trade-clarkson-nance-to-cleveland

I thought this was your guys' most mature/developed podcast

I'm not sure if I would trade two first to keep Randle but as far as the podcast itself your guys' vibe and overall outlook on the topics/life left me feeling refreshed
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

1) sign PG to MAX

BI/ Hart /pick
PG/ Hart
Lonzo/ BI

No backup point guard, sounds like a great plan.

BI has been STARTING at point guard to great success. Why can't he be the backup point? Even last year, many of his best games were when he was running point.

Kinda a moot point btw since we have guys at every position that can bring the ball up the court. Obviously, their minutes are going to be slightly staggered. Plus there's always guys like Caruso that can be had for cheap

So let’s just play Ingram 48 minutes a game...got you.

Yup. Exactly what I said. Good job

We will need a decent back up point guard it’s that simple.

Someone that can play. Not Caruso, not Ennis.

Which is why I would want BI backing up point. He excels at it. He can split time between his starting forward position and backup point. We have shown that we can roll with something like:

Lopez/Noel
Randle
Kuzma
Hart
Ingram

for extended periods of time. This lineup is a nightmare matchup for most teams in the league on either side of the ball.

I would personally like a good backup point to be signed, but not really sure who is ideal to fit that role with our personnel as of now. There are a lot of question marks around IT. If he can be had for MLE-type money and is not a locker room cancer, absolutely worth bringing back IMO. However, I expect some other teams to throw crazy money at him and that he'll move on.

You really want Lonzo Ball, as the only point guard on the entire roster?

Have Caruso and sign a ring chasing vet for the min. Have Ball/Ingram/Hart/George split the 96 minutes at the PG/SG/SF with 5-10 minutes to Caruso/Vet and/or Kuzma at the three.

I'd rather have Brook at the exception than a point guard, but I won't cry if we get a vet point guard for the exception.

You have anyone in mind?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
None of the new Cavs are playing tonight.. maybe the only way they lose to the Hawks.. they have 5-6 active guys who are legit NBA players. The rest are "who he play for" guys

Good. I'm rooting for them to lose as many games as possible.

Absooolutely
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they give serious consideration to bringing Randle back as the starting center. They could be the fastest team, maybe one of the fastest ever. Defensively they can switch everything and they'd have the mobility to rotate extremely well all over the court.

If James actually signs with the Lakers, you are not envisioning any drop off of pace, change of style or weakened defense with a declining James?

Lakers will likely be a much more offensively efficient team but it will not be as good defensively IMO. Even with George and the development of the young players. Lakers roster will adapt to James, not the other way around.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers now have two paths available. If need be, they can renounce the rights to restricted free agent Julius Randle and waive Luol Deng and stretch the $36 million-plus remaining on his contract. Those moves would likely give them enough cap space to sign a max free agent with 10-plus years of experience (like James) and one with seven to nine years of experience (like Paul George).

Quote:
Alternatively, they can hang on to Deng, try to re-sign Randle to a reasonable contract and wait until summer 2019, when there will be additional max talent on the market. In that case, the Lakers would still have about $45 million in cap space to take on short-term salary from teams in the luxury tax or sign players to one-year contracts. They're in an enviable position either way.

LINK
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Say we attach the cavs pick and another 1st or second with Deng, what's the minimum salary amount we would need coming back?
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Or they can (as I mentioned in the Deng thread 2 weeks back and got ridiculed) package a couple of picks with Deng and send him out. That allows to keep Randle and still get those 2 max deals.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Get PG this summer. Aim for Kawhi/Klay in 2019.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Judah wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

If James actually signs with the Lakers, you are not envisioning any drop off of pace, change of style or weakened defense with a declining James?

Lakers will likely be a much more offensively efficient team but it will not be as good defensively IMO. Even with George and the development of the young players. Lakers roster will adapt to James, not the other way around.

No, I don’t expect any of those things. LeBron is dynamic in the open floor, so I expect him to thrive playing with Lonzo and getting easy scores in transition. If you’re actually watching him play, he doesn’t appear to be anywhere close to playing on his last leg.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Judah wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

LeBron's steals are the same this year as when he was 19... he could drop off to one third of his former ability before he'd be at Randle's level. I expect drop off... but LeBron's lowered abilities will be at most players prime.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

Well if we have PG and BI and then add Kawhi don't they all play the same position? And what if we have PG and add Klay where does BI fit in?
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

yup yup!

Lets say we have

Lonzo
PG
klay/kawhi

We have to first think BI can play the 4.. then after that we must decide between he and Kuz.

Both BI and Kuz are too good to be backups. So I think one will eventually have to go..which sucks!
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

This is why before Boogie got hurt. I wanted Kahwi/Boogie or Klay/Boogie or PG/Boogie

position wise it's perfect if we want to keep BI, Lonzo, and Kuz
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

It's like Steve Young and Montana... you keep BI as LeBron declines in three years. It's absolutely absurd to trade him when he will be able to take over the mantle at 23. If they were the same age... sure.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Ok, here's a massive pipe dream scenario, and I haven't been smoking anything, either! Long read, but I hope you get some enjoyment/entertainment out of it.

The Lakers have 28 games left. We go 18-9 in the first 27 of those. The Pelicans fall out of it, as Cousins' injury proves too tough to overcome, and maybe AD picks up a minor injury that exacerbates the situation (wouldn't want to wish a major injury on anyone, let alone him.) The Jazz don't quite play well enough to get to the .500 mark. The Clippers continue to play as they have. The final game of the year is against the Clippers. Both teams are 41-40 going into the game, and the winner claims the #8 seed in the West. We win the game and make the playoffs. Although we lose to the Warriors, we take Game 3 from them at home, lose in 5, but 3 of the 4 losses are competitive games.

OKC gets Minnesota in the 4-5 matchup and loses. Westbrook pounds the rock hard and forces up too many wild shots in a Game 6 loss at home to end the series.

The Spurs get Kawhi back in March and he looks great for the rest of the year. He also looks great in their 1st round playoff series against Portland. Problem is, Portland upsets them, and Kawhi privately bemoans the lack of youth and athleticism surrounding him.

Fast forward now to summer free agency...

PG obviously wants to come to the Lakers. Kawhi is disgruntled and would love to play for the Lakers. LeBron wants to play for the Lakers. LeBron learns that there might be a way to play with both Kawhi and PG, and while keeping Randle too. The only young player casualty will be Ingram. How can we pull this off, you ask?

PG would only be on the books for $20.7MM if he didn't opt out and got traded here. Kawhi would only be on the books for $20.1MM next year if he got traded here. Julius would be taking the QO in this scenario (as you'll see below). You'd have LeBron at close to $35MM, PG and Kawhi for almost $41MM, Julius for about $5.6MM, Lonzo for $7.5MM, Hart for $1.7MM, Kuzma for $1.7MM, and Bryant for $1.4MM. (I'm assuming Zubac will be traded or let go). That all totals roughly $94MM, give or take a little bit, for 7 players. Five minimum cap holds comes to about $4.2MM. The extend-and-stretch Deng idea would probably leave about $3-4MM in dead money. I think we could actually fit that team in (plus be able to use the room exception to keep Brook once we've reached hit the cap ceiling), if all of the following happened:

--Extend-and-stretch Deng, where he gets an additional $3-4MM for his troubles. This spreads his cap hit over 11 years instead of 5, meaning the dead money hit is closer to about $3-4MM instead of over $7MM.

--Randle takes the QO, which will be about $5.6MM. We then give him an above-market deal next summer for 4 years. So instead of Julius getting, say, 4 years and $50MM this summer, he takes $5.6MM this summer, and then gets 4 years and $60MM in the summer of '19. This more than makes him whole, and the Lakers would never break their word on this. Even if he got hurt, we would give him that money, as we'd be over the cap by next season anyhow.

--LeBron signs for his full max of $35+MM or very close to it, if we can pull off the Deng extend-and-stretch. My thinking here is that if the numbers fell just short, LeBron would be OK with taking a very small haircut off his max to allow the team to keep the draft picks necessary that it would take to part with Deng in a trade. And this will be important in a theoretical Kawhi deal.

--We pull off a trade with OKC where PG doesn't opt out, and they get back a little something for their troubles. (Zubac and some 2nd rounders? Zubac and a future 1st?)

--We pull off a trade with the Spurs where they take Ingram, the CLE '18 pick, and a future pick or two (those might be 2nd rounders) for Kawhi. We'd have the cap space to still absorb Kawhi's salary in this scenario. This one is the least likely to happen, because this requires the Spurs to be willing to part with Kawhi in the final year of his deal before he can opt out, but the other stuff doesn't require as much of a leap of faith. (Well, perhaps Randle taking the QO does, actually. But we're talking pipe dreams here.)

--Once all of the above is completed, we sign Lopez with the room exception, and then fill out the rest of the roster with veteran ring chasers who will want to come to this team. We might also still end up using the Denver 2nd rounder.

Lonzo/veteran point guard and/or young player with the Denver pick
PG/Hart
Kawhi/PG/Kuzma
LeBron/Randle/Kuzma
Lopez/Randle

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject:

It’s going to be very interesting with Randle, because some team is going to throw him money (Dallas?) and we will have 72 hours to figure out if we are going to need his cap room or not. If I were Maglinka i’d Probably just approach Julius right now and give him a long term, reasonable deal. 4 Years for $40m with a player option in year 3. If we just simply want him off the books, then we can just let him go to the mavs and have the space I guess.

I don’t think we really have any time in the offseason to decide if we want to keep him and try to rush FA meetings and I sure as hell don’t think we should match the 18M over 4 years he’ll get from Dallas.

Maybe he’ll take the qualifying offer and choose to be an UFA?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 968, 969, 970 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 969 of 2680
Jump to: