THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 787, 788, 789 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Newsom holds a considerable lead in early polls for CA governor

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/07/two-new-polls-show-tight-race-for-second-place-in-governors-race/

I think he could destroy Trump in 2020.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Based on what's been reporter throughout the day, Kelly needs to immediately resign.

The official story is that Trump only found out about the extent of the allegations on Tuesday. Even if that's true, which I don't believe it is, Kelly knew about it for months that the FBI concluded that Porter can't pass the background check.

It's the family values/law and order party!
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Newsom holds a considerable lead in early polls for CA governor

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/07/two-new-polls-show-tight-race-for-second-place-in-governors-race/

I think he could destroy Trump in 2020.

He should definitely look into it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

As someone outside Cali who only sees him occasionally, newsome comes off as a telegenic, charismatic, trained and practiced within an inch of his life politician. Like if a marketing firm built one. Any substance under the suit and hair and teeth?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

I’ve heard a lot of good things, but curious on the Cali take.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

He's been ahead of his time on alot of issues.
He was an early supporter of gay marriage and legalizing marijuana. Pushed for universal healthcare back in 2007, created a program to find homeless people permanent shelter. He ran a sanctuary city with pride. And put together several food programs to give people access to healthy and affordable food.
Not to mention, he has pushed for raising the minimum wage since his career began.
He's a proud progressive. And my friends who have lived in SF their whole lives are big fans. He won most of them over when he joined and spoke with the student protestors who were complaining about the increase in tuition.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Jim Tankersley‏Verified account @jimtankersley

Morgan Stanley analysts expect companies to pass only 13% of Trump tax cut savings directly to workers, vs 43% to share buybacks.

For manufacturers, it's 9% / 47%.

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/961969016725221376
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

He's been ahead of his time on alot of issues.
He was an early supporter of gay marriage and legalizing marijuana. Pushed for universal healthcare back in 2007, created a program to find homeless people permanent shelter. He ran a sanctuary city with pride. And put together several food programs to give people access to healthy and affordable food.
Not to mention, he has pushed for raising the minimum wage since his career began.
He's a proud progressive. And my friends who have lived in SF their whole lives are big fans. He won most of them over when he joined and spoke with the student protestors who were complaining about the increase in tuition.

My only complaint is that he is "Politician" all the way through. Both he and Kamala Harris regularly show up in my Facebook feed. When she does, it's always about an issue and requesting some kind of positive action on the part of the constituency to help move something forward. When Newsome does, it is always about asking for money, and not even in the context of an issue . . . just "we are $22,534 behind our goal. Please give!" and nothing else.

It's a real turnoff as a voter.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

The affair aside, most people love Gavin. However, to be frank, he hasn't done much of anything. Made a lot of promises about homelessness, followed through on none of them. He can tout being on the right side of gay marriage and marijuana, but those were not really accomplishments so much as it was robot-Gavin updating his firmware with 2007-progressive-thoughts.exe.

I'm not surprised people are fans of his. He frequently says the right thing and his fans are usually well-off enough that his failed promises do not actually affect them - in any event, Gavin's megawatt smile, "liberal" agenda, and well-connected, well-off background is usually more than enough to sway them back to his side. I know some people in the community that raise serious cash for GN and while he's beloved, sure, it's always struck me as the appreciation one has for a friend they know and trust, not the love one has for someone truly impressive.

Gavin's fine, if Bateman-esque, and it's hard to fault this particular politician for failing so frequently when that seems to be the norm. I will say a sizable contingent will always let Gavin's affair and failure's on the homelessness issue color their impression of him -- I think those people are right, if too resolute.

Also, DMR, I bet once Kamala Harris actually needs money, you'll see her begging just the same.

Last edited by Cutheon on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

I like Kamala, she's my representative. I don't think she yet has the necessary recognition to run for the Oval Office. Gavin is socially clean enough to beat Trump.

Anyone with skeletons will have problems with The Donald. His skeletons are well documented and to date hasn't moved his base.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Based on what's been reporter throughout the day, Kelly needs to immediately resign.

The official story is that Trump only found out about the extent of the allegations on Tuesday. Even if that's true, which I don't believe it is, Kelly knew about it for months that the FBI concluded that Porter can't pass the background check.

Really, really disappointed with Kelly. I agree wholeheartedly.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Not sure why anyone is surprised about this stuff. Kelly has shown who he is time and time again.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Not sure why anyone is surprised about this stuff. Kelly has shown who he is time and time again.

I also don't get the way some liberals and others are willing to give Kelly a pass. Like he's the voice of sanity in the WH.
Newsflash: Kelly is as obnoxious and bigoted and evil as the president he's been blindly following.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I also don't get the way some liberals and others are willing to give Kelly a pass. Like he's the voice of sanity in the WH.
Newsflash: Kelly is as obnoxious and bigoted and evil as the president he's been blindly following.

My post was a mea culpa, as I've defended Kelly in the past in conversations with Wilt and others.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/us/politics/rachel-brand-justice-department.html
Quote:
No. 3 Official at the Justice Department Is Stepping Down
WASHINGTON — Rachel L. Brand, the No. 3 official at the Justice Department, plans to step down after nine months on the job as the country’s top law enforcement agency has been under attack by President Trump, according to two people briefed on her decision.

Ms. Brand’s profile had risen in part because she is next in the line of succession behind the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, who is overseeing the special counsel’s inquiry into Russian influence in the 2016 election. Mr. Trump, who has called the investigation a witch hunt, has considered firing Mr. Rosenstein.

I expect Rosenstein to be next. Then, Mueller will get a pink slip.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
As someone outside Cali who only sees him occasionally, newsome comes off as a telegenic, charismatic, trained and practiced within an inch of his life politician. Like if a marketing firm built one. Any substance under the suit and hair and teeth?

I think I’ve posted this before but Gavin often visits an office on the first floor of my building in SF. I’ve now gotten to speak to him a few times. He is very well spoken and polished politically however, he’s also very friendly and personable and never once has he been “too busy” to stop and chat or say hello in passing. He’s actually a really cool guy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Also, DMR, I bet once Kamala Harris actually needs money, you'll see her begging just the same.

I hope she does when the time comes.

My point is not that candidates shouldn’t ask for contributions. It’s that it shouldn’t be the only time we hear from a candidate.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I like Kamala, she's my representative. I don't think she yet has the necessary recognition to run for the Oval Office. Gavin is socially clean enough to beat Trump.

Anyone with skeletons will have problems with The Donald. His skeletons are well documented and to date hasn't moved his base.

You mean Senator?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:

What I've read and heard about Kelly has me conflicted. IMO he may be taking heat to stay in the WH. I get a sense he thinks he's needed to tamp Trump. Without him I don't think the WH would have a damper.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Trump will not approve Dem memo release.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Yeah, reminds me of all the posts early in this thread (or the previous one that got locked) about how Kelly was a standup guy whose military past was going to prevail in regards to him being honorable and trustworthy . . .

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

We'll talk about what those puny Dems want after the parade! #MAGA

^^ on the topic of trolling

anandtech and yahoo.. i have seen the paid bots hit articles

Not to go all israeli etc but maybe 10 years ago.. they created a whole military wing devoted to attacking online news articles. anything that didn't paint the picture they wanted the cyberarmy would attack..

the trump bots aren't bad.. just too firm in attack mode instead of trying to convince people..

ive checked newsmax a few times and the replies there are insane.. lots of paid repliers..

People upset at Rand Paul?
At least it showed in the articles the Republicans did it again.. He said there was a 700 page bill proposal dropped off the night before to vote on this afternoon.. How can that not be a crime? No corporation ever in existence would drop off next years budget plan and expect it to be approved the next day..
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I've never seen a President encourage partisan divisiveness more than Trump.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Not surprising, you've never seen a president like Trump. Still can't capitalize president when it's attached to Trump.

The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Well we've never had a drunk right-wing internet troll as President.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 787, 788, 789 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 788 of 3663
Jump to: