OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 969, 970, 971 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
It’s going to be very interesting with Randle, because some team is going to throw him money (Dallas?) and we will have 72 hours to figure out if we are going to need his cap room or not. If I were Maglinka i’d Probably just approach Julius right now and give him a long term, reasonable deal. 4 Years for $40m with a player option in year 3. If we just simply want him off the books, then we can just let him go to the mavs and have the space I guess.

I don’t think we really have any time in the offseason to decide if we want to keep him and try to rush FA meetings and I sure as hell don’t think we should match the 18M over 4 years he’ll get from Dallas.

Maybe he’ll take the qualifying offer and choose to be an UFA?

We can't extend him right now. The deadine for that was last year. We have to wait until this summer to do that now, if we do it at all.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
It’s going to be very interesting with Randle, because some team is going to throw him money (Dallas?) and we will have 72 hours to figure out if we are going to need his cap room or not. If I were Maglinka i’d Probably just approach Julius right now and give him a long term, reasonable deal. 4 Years for $40m with a player option in year 3. If we just simply want him off the books, then we can just let him go to the mavs and have the space I guess.

I don’t think we really have any time in the offseason to decide if we want to keep him and try to rush FA meetings and I sure as hell don’t think we should match the 18M over 4 years he’ll get from Dallas.

Come on, we don't have Mitch anymore, you know Magic and Pelinka are going to tamper the crap out of this upcoming off-season. They'll know waaaaaaaay before that.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

We can't extend him right now. The deadine for that was last year. We have to wait until this summer to do that now, if we do it at all.

I didn’t know that, thx for the info
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Ok, here's a massive pipe dream scenario, and I haven't been smoking anything, either! Long read, but I hope you get some enjoyment/entertainment out of it.

The Lakers have 28 games left. We go 18-9 in the first 27 of those. The Pelicans fall out of it, as Cousins' injury proves too tough to overcome, and maybe AD picks up a minor injury that exacerbates the situation (wouldn't want to wish a major injury on anyone, let alone him.) The Jazz don't quite play well enough to get to the .500 mark. The Clippers continue to play as they have. The final game of the year is against the Clippers. Both teams are 41-40 going into the game, and the winner claims the #8 seed in the West. We win the game and make the playoffs. Although we lose to the Warriors, we take Game 3 from them at home, lose in 5, but 3 of the 4 losses are competitive games.

OKC gets Minnesota in the 4-5 matchup and loses. Westbrook pounds the rock hard and forces up too many wild shots in a Game 6 loss at home to end the series.

The Spurs get Kawhi back in March and he looks great for the rest of the year. He also looks great in their 1st round playoff series against Portland. Problem is, Portland upsets them, and Kawhi privately bemoans the lack of youth and athleticism surrounding him.

Fast forward now to summer free agency...

PG obviously wants to come to the Lakers. Kawhi is disgruntled and would love to play for the Lakers. LeBron wants to play for the Lakers. LeBron learns that there might be a way to play with both Kawhi and PG, and while keeping Randle too. The only young player casualty will be Ingram. How can we pull this off, you ask?

PG would only be on the books for $20.7MM if he didn't opt out and got traded here. Kawhi would only be on the books for $20.1MM next year if he got traded here. Julius would be taking the QO in this scenario (as you'll see below). You'd have LeBron at close to $35MM, PG and Kawhi for almost $41MM, Julius for about $5.6MM, Lonzo for $7.5MM, Hart for $1.7MM, Kuzma for $1.7MM, and Bryant for $1.4MM. (I'm assuming Zubac will be traded or let go). That all totals roughly $94MM, give or take a little bit, for 7 players. Five minimum cap holds comes to about $4.2MM. The extend-and-stretch Deng idea would probably leave about $3-4MM in dead money. I think we could actually fit that team in (plus be able to use the room exception to keep Brook once we've reached hit the cap ceiling), if all of the following happened:

--Extend-and-stretch Deng, where he gets an additional $3-4MM for his troubles. This spreads his cap hit over 11 years instead of 5, meaning the dead money hit is closer to about $3-4MM instead of over $7MM.

--Randle takes the QO, which will be about $5.6MM. We then give him an above-market deal next summer for 4 years. So instead of Julius getting, say, 4 years and $50MM this summer, he takes $5.6MM this summer, and then gets 4 years and $60MM in the summer of '19. This more than makes him whole, and the Lakers would never break their word on this. Even if he got hurt, we would give him that money, as we'd be over the cap by next season anyhow.

--LeBron signs for his full max of $35+MM or very close to it, if we can pull off the Deng extend-and-stretch. My thinking here is that if the numbers fell just short, LeBron would be OK with taking a very small haircut off his max to allow the team to keep the draft picks necessary that it would take to part with Deng in a trade. And this will be important in a theoretical Kawhi deal.

--We pull off a trade with OKC where PG doesn't opt out, and they get back a little something for their troubles. (Zubac and some 2nd rounders? Zubac and a future 1st?)

--We pull off a trade with the Spurs where they take Ingram, the CLE '18 pick, and a future pick or two (those might be 2nd rounders) for Kawhi. We'd have the cap space to still absorb Kawhi's salary in this scenario. This one is the least likely to happen, because this requires the Spurs to be willing to part with Kawhi in the final year of his deal before he can opt out, but the other stuff doesn't require as much of a leap of faith. (Well, perhaps Randle taking the QO does, actually. But we're talking pipe dreams here.)

--Once all of the above is completed, we sign Lopez with the room exception, and then fill out the rest of the roster with veteran ring chasers who will want to come to this team. We might also still end up using the Denver 2nd rounder.

Lonzo/veteran point guard and/or young player with the Denver pick
PG/Hart
Kawhi/PG/Kuzma
LeBron/Randle/Kuzma
Lopez/Randle

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

There is no way the Spurs will let us have Kawhi.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Ok, here's a massive pipe dream scenario, and I haven't been smoking anything, either! Long read, but I hope you get some enjoyment/entertainment out of it.

The Lakers have 28 games left. We go 18-9 in the first 27 of those. The Pelicans fall out of it, as Cousins' injury proves too tough to overcome, and maybe AD picks up a minor injury that exacerbates the situation (wouldn't want to wish a major injury on anyone, let alone him.) The Jazz don't quite play well enough to get to the .500 mark. The Clippers continue to play as they have. The final game of the year is against the Clippers. Both teams are 41-40 going into the game, and the winner claims the #8 seed in the West. We win the game and make the playoffs. Although we lose to the Warriors, we take Game 3 from them at home, lose in 5, but 3 of the 4 losses are competitive games.

OKC gets Minnesota in the 4-5 matchup and loses. Westbrook pounds the rock hard and forces up too many wild shots in a Game 6 loss at home to end the series.

The Spurs get Kawhi back in March and he looks great for the rest of the year. He also looks great in their 1st round playoff series against Portland. Problem is, Portland upsets them, and Kawhi privately bemoans the lack of youth and athleticism surrounding him.

PG obviously wants to come to the Lakers. Kawhi is disgruntled and would love to play for the Lakers. LeBron wants to play for the Lakers. LeBron learns that there might be a way to play with both Kawhi and PG, and while keeping Randle too. The only young player casualty will be Ingram. How can we pull this off, you ask?

PG would only be on the books for $20.7MM if he didn't opt out and got traded here. Kawhi would only be on the books for $20.1MM next year if he got traded here. Julius would be taking the QO in this scenario (as you'll see below). You'd have LeBron at close to $35MM, PG and Kawhi for almost $41MM, Julius for about $5.6MM, Lonzo for $7.5MM, Hart for $1.7MM, Kuzma for $1.7MM, and Bryant for $1.4MM. (I'm assuming Zubac will be traded or let go). That all totals roughly $94MM, give or take a little bit, for 7 players. Five minimum cap holds comes to about $4.2MM. The extend-and-stretch Deng idea would probably leave about $3-4MM in dead money. I think we could actually fit that team in (plus be able to use the room exception to keep Brook once we've reached hit the cap ceiling), if all of the following happened:

--Extend-and-stretch Deng, where he gets an additional $3-4MM for his troubles. This spreads his cap hit over 11 years instead of 5, meaning the dead money hit is closer to about $3-4MM instead of over $7MM.

--Randle takes the QO, which will be about $5.6MM. We then give him an above-market deal next summer for 4 years. So instead of Julius getting, say, 4 years and $50MM this summer, he takes $5.6MM this summer, and then gets 4 years and $60MM in the summer of '19. This more than makes him whole, and the Lakers would never break their word on this. Even if he got hurt, we would give him that money, as we'd be over the cap by next season anyhow.

--LeBron signs for his full max of $35+MM or very close to it, if we can pull off the Deng extend-and-stretch. My thinking here is that if the numbers fell just short, LeBron would be OK with taking a very small haircut off his max to allow the team to keep the draft picks necessary that it would take to part with Deng in a trade. And this will be important in a theoretical Kawhi deal.

--We pull off a trade with OKC where PG doesn't opt out, and they get back a little something for their troubles. (Zubac and some 2nd rounders? Zubac and a future 1st?)

--We pull off a trade with the Spurs where they take Ingram, the CLE '18 pick, and a future pick or two (those might be 2nd rounders) for Kawhi. We'd have the cap space to still absorb Kawhi's salary in this scenario. This one is the least likely to happen, because this requires the Spurs to be willing to part with Kawhi in the final year of his deal before he can opt out, but the other stuff doesn't require as much of a leap of faith. (Well, perhaps Randle taking the QO does, actually. But we're talking pipe dreams here.)

--Once all of the above is completed, we sign Lopez with the room exception, and then fill out the rest of the roster with veteran ring chasers who will want to come to this team. We might also still end up using the Denver 2nd rounder.

PG/Hart
Kawhi/PG/Kuzma
LeBron/Randle/Kuzma
Lopez/Randle

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

I didn't come until the part about the trade for Kawhi; did anyone make it further than that?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

PG/Hart
Kawhi/PG/Kuzma
LeBron/Randle/Kuzma
Lopez/Randle

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

They're gonna have to max him now that his uncle runs the show.

Last edited by Car54 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakerfansd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Any rim protectors we can get for cheap? Even if we sign George, would like to have a defensive presence in the middle. Too bad Zubac didn't turn out to be that guy
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

lakerfansd wrote:
Any rim protectors we can get for cheap? Even if we sign George, would like to have a defensive presence in the middle. Too bad Zubac didn't turn out to be that guy

We don't necessarily need a rim protector. We need players interchangeable on defense. Having a center who can defend perimeter players will help more than having a guy who chase shots. Everybody on the team can block shots it doesn't have to be your center.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

PG/Hart
Kawhi/PG/Kuzma
LeBron/Randle/Kuzma
Lopez/Randle

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

They're gonna have to max him now that his uncle ru s the show.

and they will max him too.
LakersKobeBrynt8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Cleveland took our package over the Clippers and DeAndre (assuming Nets pick was never in play). GREAT job Rob!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22384540/los-angeles-clippers-cleveland-cavaliers-were-close-deandre-jordan-trade
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

LakersKobeBrynt8 wrote:
Looks like Cleveland took our package over the Clippers and DeAndre (assuming Nets pick was never in play). GREAT job Rob!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22384540/los-angeles-clippers-cleveland-cavaliers-were-close-deandre-jordan-trade

We finally beat the Clippers in something.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
LakersKobeBrynt8 wrote:

We've kicked their ass into a deep hole long ago. They're barely scratching the bottom of our feet.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

PG/Hart
Kawhi/PG/Kuzma
LeBron/Randle/Kuzma
Lopez/Randle

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

Can I get a TL;DR
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakersKobeBrynt8 wrote:

We've kicked their ass into a deep hole long ago. They're barely scratching the bottom of our feet.

Yeah, but not head to head this season so there is some work to do.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu caught a case of the MJST.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

PG/Hart
Kawhi/PG/Kuzma
LeBron/Randle/Kuzma
Lopez/Randle

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

Can I get a TL;DR

Sure

TL;DR: Lakers sign Randle for a million more than he earnt on his rookie contract under a wink-wink agreement we'll pay him more later. Trade Zu and some picks for PG. Sign Lebron to the Max. Trade Ingram and some pick for Kawhi...profit.

For what it's worth ChickenStu I appreciate the blue sky thinking but I feel that even IG would read that scenario, put down his bag of weed with the lakers logo on it and proclaim "Really?!"
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ChickenStu caught a case of the MJST.

Holy
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

PG/Hart
Kawhi/PG/Kuzma
LeBron/Randle/Kuzma
Lopez/Randle

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

Can I get a TL;DR

Sure

TL;DR: Lakers sign Randle for a million more than he earnt on his rookie contract under a wink-wink agreement we'll pay him more later. Trade Zu and some picks for PG. Sign Lebron to the Max. Trade Ingram and some pick for Kawhi...profit.

For what it's worth ChickenStu I appreciate the blue sky thinking but I feel that even IG would read that scenario, put down his bag of weed with the lakers logo on it and proclaim "Really?!"

Thanks man... and really?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

2018 w/LeBron

Lopez (1 year)
Randle / Kuzma
Ingram
George / Hart
Lonzo / Thomas 91 year massive deal)

Randle
Kwahi/Kuzma
Ingram
George/Hart
Lonzo
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lakers/status/962148044321034240

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lakers/status/962148047013720064
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

No love for the scenario where we beat the Clippers on the last night to get a playoff spot?

Honestly, I don't think anything I said in and of itself was crazy. If Kawhi wanted out, that package was a lot more than what the Bulls got for Butler, who had one further year of team control than Kawhi would. Of course, that one is the least likely to happen. But OKC would likely rather get something than nothing. As for Julius and the QO, it's unlikely, sure. But he'd get that money back from us over the course of the next few years and then some, and there's the angle of his agent, who is also PG''s agent, possibly wanting both of his clients playing for the Lakers on a contender.

As for the Deng scenario, Emplay is right on the money. If you're Deng, and you're going to get waived by the Lakers anyway, wouldn't you rather get a few million dollars more out of it? The NBAPA would like it, and it's well within the Lakers' right to do this and spread a smaller cap hit over 11 years. It's not against the rules of the current CBA and I can't imagine that the league would do anything about it. The player would be getting more money than he otherwise would.

Trust me y'all, I'd be very happy just signing LeBron and PG and keeping Randle and all the young guys, which is no longer a pipe dream. As for the other stuff, I made it clear that was a pipe dream scenario. Hey, I'm feeling optimistic. Can't help it.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0OUe8Txmf3Y. I hope he regain his scoring ability so we can make a serious run in our last 28 games.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0OUe8Txmf3Y. I hope he regain his scoring ability so we can make a serious run in our last 28 games.

Maybe he gets close to form the last ~10 games.. but right now he's not particularly close
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/br_nba/status/962156099779551232

DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

This is what I want to see after the 2019 offseason.

Lonzo
PG/Hart
Kawhi
Ingram/Kuzma
Randle/Noel/Bryant
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 969, 970, 971 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 970 of 2680
Jump to: