Capologists and Bussologists - How Much WILL the Lakers Spend?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Capologists and Bussologists - How Much WILL the Lakers Spend?

I have been positively giddy with the prospect of LBJ and PG13 joining the Lakers this summer. Assuming both of them get "Supermax" deals from the Lakers, how long could we/would we keep a core of PG13/LBJ/BI.Lonzo/Kuz together before luxury taxes/repeater taxes make it untenable? Is it even feasible to keep Randle under those circumstances?

Dr. Buss won championships but watched the fiscal bottom line while doing so. I'm guessing Jeanie is cut from the same cloth. I know when the Lakers are playing and winning at a high level, they have a license to print money, but I imagine there will be a limit to what they will pay.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

^^^not a Capologists or cap expert, but not sure what you mean in regards to "Supermax" deals? If your referring to the over 10 years played (35% of Cap) 5 Year Max with maximum annual increases....we cannot offer that to either player. Only the players current team with Bird Rights can offer a 5 year deal and maximum (8%) annual increases....and PG-13 in only in his 8th season, thus only eligible for a 30% max contract.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the max contract we could offer....

Lebron - 4 Years starting @ 35% of Salary Cap with 4% annual increases

PG-13 - 4 Years starting @ 30% of Salary Cap with 4% annual increases
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^not a Capologists or cap expert, but not sure what you mean in regards to "Supermax" deals? If your referring to the over 10 years played (35% of Cap) 5 Year Max with maximum annual increases....we cannot offer that to either player. Only the players current team with Bird Rights can offer a 5 year deal and maximum (8%) annual increases....and PG-13 in only in his 8th season, thus only eligible for a 30% max contract.

I think the question is more about after we sign free agents and then guys like Ingram come off their rookie contracts and are eligible for big salaries that will bring luxury tax implications.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I think the question is more about after we sign free agents and then guys like Ingram come off their rookie contracts and are eligible for big salaries that will bring luxury tax implications.

Bingo.

If PG & LBJ take 2/3 of the cap this summer AND get 4% annual raises, how does that impact BI in 2 years and Lonzo/Kuz/Hart in 3 years when their rookie deals are up?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

53. Is there a limit to the length of a contract, or to the amount a player's salary can increase or decrease from year to year?

Quote:

The maximum years and raises depend on the type of contract, however the "standard" maximum length is four seasons and the "standard" maximum raise is 5%1 -- for example, when a team signs another team's free agent using cap room.

What if Paul George wants a contract with a player option that lets him redo and get a 35% Max after 10 years? Then it would be two players taking 70% of the salary cap.*

Repeater luxury tax issue would depend on how many years LeBron would play.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are going to deal with repeater tax until 2021 at the earliest (if they go over the tax this coming year, which is possible). That’s also when two of their youngsters (ball and Kuzma) are up for big raises (Ingram the year before). If the Lakers can stay under the tax threshold next season, they can put repeated tax off until 2022, when both max contracts (it signed this offseason would expire)
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lakers are going to deal with repeater tax until 2021 at the earliest (if they go over the tax this coming year, which is possible). That’s also when two of their youngsters (ball and Kuzma) are up for big raises (Ingram the year before). If the Lakers can stay under the tax threshold next season, they can put repeated tax off until 2022, when both max contracts (it signed this offseason would expire)

This is what I'm looking for - thanks.

So, if the Lakers sing PG & LBJ, the focus is to do so without crossibg the lux tax line in 18-19, then getting LBJ off of the books before 22-23?

Those seem doable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: