OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 953, 954, 955 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
trablos wrote:
Practice wrote:
trablos wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Lol the average players don’t have his length. If he can develop physically like Lebron or Giannis then he can keep going at the rim. I ain’t worried if the stats says it’s not an efficient shot, I’m more concern if Untouchable can actually pick teams apart with his midrange.

Then have fun watching him run into the same brick wall over and over again. As though his length has anything to do with him making mid range pull-ups.

He's more than doubled his catch & shoot attempts while cutting his pull-up attempts in half in the last 4 games, which has not-so-concidentally been when he's been absolutely killing it. So stubborn.

I get your point GT and want to see more catch and shoot from him, but a naive observation is that guys like Kobe, MJ, Droz, and many other wings made careers out of perfecting their mid-range game, so it's not like that shot is dead. I understand why its less efficient than any other shot but its important to have a counter to them cutting off the drive which he struggled with badly to open the year.

Ingram isn't hitting it like those guys can/could though.

I know but I just wanted to make a point about the usefulness of the mid range game. Its obvious he likes that shot and he has a lot of potential there and would be a nightmare for defenses having to guard a guy who can kill you from anywhere on the floor.

Yeah no one disregards the misrange game.

But at the same time the entire point is that Ingram should be maximizing what he does best right now, and working on the mid range in a secondary sense to come along as his shot continues to improve.

Instead of going 20% spot ups, 30% mid range 50% drive to the basket.

He should be doing 40% spot ups 50% driving to the basket and maybe 10% mid range.

That doesn't mean his mid range won't improve, but it means that he'll be maximizing what he does best, while his mid range slowly but surely improves, but at the same time he'll be doing what he's been doing.

No one's saying he shouldn't develop his mid range. What's being said is that he should be utilizing his spot ups and his drives at a much higher percentage as priority over the mid range game.

Look at Steph Curry, he shoots about 55-60% from mid range, but look at how often he either gets to the basket or shoots a three in comparison.

It means that Steph has a go to mid range shot when the defense gives him in which again increases his efficiency, but that doesn't mean he seeks it, he just has it 'just in case' the defense gives that opening. But the majority of the time he's going to the basket or he's shooting threes.

So yes, Ingram having an efficient mid range shot will open up more things and opportunities for him, however he shouldn't prioritize it in games over his drives or spot ups which have been much more efficient.

If he gets to the point where his mid range is efficient, GREAT that means it will be there when the defense gives that opening, but he should still prioritize his drives an spot ups, even in that scenario as well.

Agree completely. Its a matter of taking what the D gives you that determines your shot selection.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Defenses want to give you poor % shots. When teams leave BroLo open at the 3 pt line, there is a reason for it.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Defenses want to give you poor % shots. When teams leave BroLo open at the 3 pt line, there is a reason for it.

It's not just about % though, it's about PPP. BroLo outside the line is lower percentage shot, as in, the ball will go through the hoop less often, but it will score more points in the long run than certain higher percentage shots inside the line.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
I don't think you guys are entirely disagreeing with one another..

Is the catch and shoot 3 a better shot for him at this stage of his career, and from a statistical stand point? Sure.. numbers don't lie..

I think what others are trying to say is that him developing a solid mid range game will only serve to make him a more well rounded offensive weapon. Not that he should live in that part of the floor exclusively. So if he's open from mid range, he should take it..

I personally don't like the mid range J's over shorter players on the block, but I guess he's not strong enough to back those guys in just yet.. So I can live with it.

The biggest thing that the best players have in this league over Ingram is having continuity in the core team they play in. We did it in phases, but the team from last year is gone. The team, mind you. The day Zo was drafted, Ingram had to be redefined. And now we got him at the position Freak plays. And it’s working. Even in the Dallas game, when he pushed the pace at the end there... we came back and led momentarily.

BI is a smart player, and humble af. If he’s learned anything from LNJ, it’s to make your teammates job easier if you have the ability to do so. I think this is what makes Zo special as well. Give both of them time to get ITs game. If anything else, it’s a study session for our young core. We are a player in FA for the next 3 summers. Our youth needs to learn flexibility isn’t just a term for our FO to work with numbers... it’s a mindset they need to actualize for the next 3 years. Learn your teammates... learn every single one of your teammates. They are your bread and butter to eat in this world.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Is the catch and shoot 3 a better shot for him at this stage of his career, and from a statistical stand point? Sure.. numbers don't lie..

I think what others are trying to say is that him developing a solid mid range game will only serve to make him a more well rounded offensive weapon. Not that he should live in that part of the floor exclusively. So if he's open from mid range, he should take it..

I personally don't like the mid range J's over shorter players on the block, but I guess he's not strong enough to back those guys in just yet.. So I can live with it.

The biggest thing that the best players have in this league over Ingram is having continuity in the core team they play in. We did it in phases, but the team from last year is gone. The team, mind you. The day Zo was drafted, Ingram had to be redefined. And now we got him at the position Freak plays. And it’s working. Even in the Dallas game, when he pushed the pace at the end there... we came back and led momentarily.

BI is a smart player, and humble af. If he’s learned anything from LNJ, it’s to make your teammates job easier if you have the ability to do so. I think this is what makes Zo special as well. Give both of them time to get ITs game. If anything else, it’s a study session for our young core. We are a player in FA for the next 3 summers. Our youth needs to learn flexibility isn’t just a term for our FO to work with numbers... it’s a mindset they need to actualize for the next 3 years. Learn your teammates... learn every single one of your teammates. They are your bread and butter to eat in this world.

If nothing else, maybe playing with IT will force Ingram into not shrinking when he's not the focal point of the offense. Which he does from time to time. And isn't entirely his fault, but he does bear some of the blame for it.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

I like that fact that IT would carry Ingram's load. I think the kid is doing too much right now. Let him focus at growing into an elite SF.
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Practice wrote:
trablos wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Lol the average players don’t have his length. If he can develop physically like Lebron or Giannis then he can keep going at the rim. I ain’t worried if the stats says it’s not an efficient shot, I’m more concern if Untouchable can actually pick teams apart with his midrange.

Then have fun watching him run into the same brick wall over and over again. As though his length has anything to do with him making mid range pull-ups.

He's more than doubled his catch & shoot attempts while cutting his pull-up attempts in half in the last 4 games, which has not-so-concidentally been when he's been absolutely killing it. So stubborn.

I get your point GT and want to see more catch and shoot from him, but a naive observation is that guys like Kobe, MJ, Droz, and many other wings made careers out of perfecting their mid-range game, so it's not like that shot is dead. I understand why its less efficient than any other shot but its important to have a counter to them cutting off the drive which he struggled with badly to open the year.

Ingram isn't hitting it like those guys can/could though.

I know but I just wanted to make a point about the usefulness of the mid range game. Its obvious he likes that shot and he has a lot of potential there and would be a nightmare for defenses having to guard a guy who can kill you from anywhere on the floor.

To be fair, GT's respond was to a guy saying BI needs to make mid range pull ups as his bread & butter
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CRoost wrote:

he took a couple heat check mid range jumpers last night, after having success with the higher efficiency shots. I'm like damn man, if you want to heat check, give us a reckless drive to the rim or a pull up three. I love Kobe but this is the age of analytics lol. That mid range sheet is an eye sore. Luckily he's growing out of it.

From your lips to God's ears. I'd rather see him pull up from 30 than from 20.

He added 6ppg to his average in year number 2 how realistic is to expect at least another 5 next season?
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Look at this catch & shoot corner 3 with zero hesitation. It's so beautiful.

https://media.giphy.com/media/26DNkPhVGxmYJP4Os/giphy.gif

It is beautiful...

GT...What would Chick (Golden throat) say about that shot?
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CRoost wrote:

he took a couple heat check mid range jumpers last night, after having success with the higher efficiency shots. I'm like damn man, if you want to heat check, give us a reckless drive to the rim or a pull up three. I love Kobe but this is the age of analytics lol. That mid range sheet is an eye sore. Luckily he's growing out of it.

He added 6ppg to his average in year number 2 how realistic is to expect at least another 5 next season?

I think he "potentially" can be a 21/22 a game player next season, and if given some time as a play maker get 5+ assists per game. I also think his boards can get over 6 a game by next season. Shooting at or near 50% and 3point shooting over 40% on at least 4 attempts per game. I think this is also just the beginning, those numbers will rise, as he will only be 21 next season, fasten your seat belts for when he gets to 22 and beyond...
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
Car54 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CRoost wrote:

I think he "potentially" can be a 21/22 a game player next season, and if given some time as a play maker get 5+ assists per game. I also think his boards can get over 6 a game by next season. Shooting at or near 50% and 3point shooting over 40% on at least 4 attempts per game. I think this is also just the beginning, those numbers will rise, as he will only be 21 next season, fasten your seat belts for when he gets to 22 and beyond...

It will all depends whether we add PG/Lebron or not

If we stay basically same, you still don't expect him to increase that much pts per game without increased mins. Especially the was luke likes this team running and sharing ball, we will most likely see better scoring season from Lonzo, Kuz. and Hart by natural develolpment which will relocate pts scored on the scoreboard.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

There's nothing wrong with being good from mid range. Sometimes you gotta take that shot and it's great if you can make it.

That's very different than it being your bread and butter.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

There's nothing wrong with being good from mid range. Sometimes you gotta take that shot and it's great if you can make it.

Agreed..
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Next stage in his development is the hesi pull-up jimbo from 3
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Agreed..

Yep. Seems like BI or Luke is reading GT's posts or something because he is playing mostly at the hoop and the 3 right now. Or making a good pass.

Efficiencies aside, I get the impression so much of BI's shooting and overall performance is mental at this point. He seems to have figured out the mechanics/body memory for hitting a quick spot up 3 (that's new). He has been good other times at hitting midrange turn arounds or pullups (that's gone the last few games). He even looks great sometimes at the FT line. I could be projecting, but it seems like he has all those tools, but sometimes he just can't focus them. Not complaining at all, though. I'm deliriously happy with his improvement. He seems like the kind of player who will keep working at that ___ and pull it all together at some point. And he is going to get stronger. And the game will keep slowing down for him. Future is bright.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
Yep. Seems like BI or Luke is reading GT's posts or something because he is playing mostly at the hoop and the 3 right now. Or making a good pass.

Efficiencies aside, I get the impression so much of BI's shooting and overall performance is mental at this point. He seems to have figured out the mechanics/body memory for hitting a quick spot up 3 (that's new). He has been good other times at hitting midrange turn arounds or pullups (that's gone the last few games). He even looks great sometimes at the FT line. I could be projecting, but it seems like he has all those tools, but sometimes he just can't focus them. Not complaining at all, though. I'm deliriously happy with his improvement. He seems like the kind of player who will keep working at that ___ and pull it all together at some point. And he is going to get stronger. And the game will keep slowing down for him. Future is bright.

My concern with Ingram has never been his ceiling or his tools, but how far he had to go to develop them.

I think they've made enormous strides in terms of his skill development this season, and that's a huge credit to Ingram and Brian Keefe. Those are the guys doing the nuts and bolts of that work.

My main complaint this season has been how that skill development has been deployed, which is mostly a Luke & coaching staff thing. These last few games have been beautiful. The next step is to stack better defense on top of this.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject:

So I haven't been able to catch games (or go on LG etc) and will be MIA for a bit, but BI's 39% from 3 (yeah yeah yeah low volume I know) deserves a
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
So I haven't been able to catch games (or go on LG etc) and will be MIA for a bit, but BI's 39% from 3 (yeah yeah yeah low volume I know) deserves a

Yeah, you can stay the (bleep) away until Brandon cools off.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:

He has several weapons to master. All of which I believe he can improve by footwork. You see the hesi pump fake he’s working on? Well he does get his guy in the air. It’s just a matter of creating contact when he gets his defender to bite to get to the line. This is where Mamba used to just drain his defender... frustration breaks the tired guy guarding you. Given proper footwork, who knows, BI could possibly develop something Giannis has not, a Jordanesque fade away jumper. Imagine a fast breaking point with a Dirk fadeaway.

Also, Ingram glides a lot in his stride, he’s so long, that in two strides, he’s at the basket. However, the strides kinda give away his intentions of taking it to the rack. I’d like to see him develop some chop in his step; keeping his head up on the dribble. It could go a long way to helping him quicken his step, while adding deception in his intention. Is he taking it to the rack, is he looking to set up the kick out, will he pop a j in my eye? These are the questions he should want rolling around in his defenders’ minds.

And handles... he can stand to work on his handles.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
awntawn wrote:

He has several weapons to master. All of which I believe he can improve by footwork. You see the hesi pump fake he’s working on? Well he does get his guy in the air. It’s just a matter of creating contact when he gets his defender to bite to get to the line. This is where Mamba used to just drain his defender... frustration breaks the tired guy guarding you. Given proper footwork, who knows, BI could possibly develop something Giannis has not, a Jordanesque fade away jumper.

Also, Ingram glides a lot in his stride, he’s so long, that in two strides, he’s at the basket. However, the strides kinda give away his intentions of taking it to the rack. I’d like to see him develop some chop in his step; keeping his head up on the dribble. It could go a long way to helping him quicken his step, while adding deception in his intention. Is he taking it to the rack, is he looking to set up the kick out, will he pop a j in my eye? These are the questions he should want rolling around in his defenders’ minds.

I think he just need to call his number and ask for help. I know Stackhouse is great mentor for BI but few tips from Kobe cant hurt. And I am 100% sure that Kobe is more than willing to help. Even one week working with Kobe can make wonders for BI IMO.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
awntawn wrote:

He has several weapons to master. All of which I believe he can improve by footwork. You see the hesi pump fake he’s working on? Well he does get his guy in the air. It’s just a matter of creating contact when he gets his defender to bite to get to the line. This is where Mamba used to just drain his defender... frustration breaks the tired guy guarding you. Given proper footwork, who knows, BI could possibly develop something Giannis has not, a Jordanesque fade away jumper.

I think he just need to call his number and ask for help. I know Stackhouse is great mentor for BI but few tips from Kobe cant hurt. And I am 100% sure that Kobe is more than willing to help. Even one week working with Kobe can make wonders for BI IMO.

To be fair, Kobe is a busy entrepreneur. BI is trying to chisel out his own game as well as take all the input from our coaching staff and use practice to hone in on what Luke sees has his strengths and weaknesses.

You add to your skill set in the offseason. You tinker with that new weapon during the regular season. And you master it in the playoffs with the muscle memory from the season. As far as requesting a session with Mamba, maybe it’s just a matter of schedules lining up in the off season. I’m hoping KB still sits and scrutinizes the game, but I think it’s a bad assumption that that’s what he wants to do right at this moment. The man may just need time away from the game after 20 years of that gym rat life.

We’ll see if he can stop by for a team meeting with our new team (after the trade deadline) for ASB. We can use his words of wisdom on welcoming IT... from what Im hearing, IT and Mamba have sessioned before. I mean ASB in LA, and one of our greatest embassadors is nominated for an Oscar. I think Kobe should be around for ASB, and it’d be nice for a pep talk with the team going into the second half of the season.

Maybe Mamba can even secure some all star projects along the lines of Muse. And turn that into another avenue of revenue for the aspiring Mamba mogul.

I digress... one thing’s for sure. Magic will not get fined for talking to Mamba. I wouldn’t think it too much of a stretch for Magic to ask Mamba to rally the troops with some guidance and feedback.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:

Yeah, you can stay the (bleep) away until Brandon cools off.

Back in the day they used to teach kids to get automatic from closer to the basket before working their way back. Sort of around the world progression. Brandon always looked like he had good touch, just somewhat funky and inconsistent mechanics. You can see they've worked on that. I'm not sure his use of midrange wasn't just getting comfortable in-game at that range before moving out further. In this latter part of the year he seems to be putting up more attempts from distance.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
awntawn wrote:

I feel like BI might be too shy to reach out. I know the feeling when dealing with mentors in my field. I know they said to ask them if I ever need anything, but do they really mean that, or are they just being nice? Kuz on the other hand is probably the more assertive type and just called right away.

I feel like BI might be the type of guy who, after a disappointing rookie season, would want to prove himself worthy of going to the mamba before asking for help.

Or maybe they already did meet up and he just didn't want to make a big deal about it publicly. Kobe probably gives more high level mental approach advice rather than detailed lessons on the craft. Honestly, coaches and trainers can get you to a certain fundamental level. After he's there, then he can go to the master for the secrets.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject:

I’m getting very impressed by his bbiq. He is pretty much the only one that knows how to run our offense in half court and is directing everyone where to be in the floor. This has been a huge step since Lonzo is been out.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

He’s almost averaging 20PPG in the month of February his numbers currently 19.6 that is amazing progress for a 20 year old.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 953, 954, 955 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 954 of 1885
Jump to: