2018-19 NFL Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: 2018-19 NFL Thread

Patriots and Eagles looking like favorites for a SB rematch. The usual coaching changes and the draft is coming up soon!

Last year's questions:
    Where will Romo/Cutler/Cousins go? CBS/Miami/Another Franchise Tag
    Are Big Ben and Earl Thomas for real with retirement talk? Nope.
    Will Eric Yarber still suck as a receivers coach for the Rams? Kinda.
    Will Green Bay ever get any help for Rodgers? Nope
    What teams may pull off what Atlanta did in 2017 and take the next step? Philly and LA did
    Will Shanahan/Lynch even make any difference under the York regime? Not until they got Garoppolo.
    Will the Raiders successfully move? Yep
    Will anyone even watch a Chargers game at Stubhub? I did and so did other opposing fans
    Does Arizona still have anything left in the tank? Nope
    If a Krapernick kneels in a forest, will anyone still care? Trump did
    Who will be the #1 overall pick? Myles Garrett

This year's preseason questions:

Which QB will be drafted #1 or will a QB be drafted #1? The NFL Ready Rosen? The Project Allen? The Next $C Bust Darnold?
    Will 2017's surprise up-and-comers (Philly, LA, Buffalo) have sophomore swoons like the previous years (Miami, Oakland, NYG)?
    Will Houston ever stay healthy?
    What will be the new national news controversy?
    Will catches ever be fixed?
    Where will Kirk Cousins land?
    Is this the year for the Chargers?
    Which ex-Pat coach will succeed or will none of them?
    Is Garoppolo for real?
    Which Jon Gruden will the Raiders get?
    Who will win the Vikings QB Game of Thrones?
    Who will be better? Alex Smith or Patrick Mahomes?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject:

The Colts hired Josh McDaniels apparently I'm supposed to be excited over this and well I'm not.

I haven't forgotten his stint in Denver.

I hope for the Colts sake he's grown but I'm not expecting much.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

I won't lie a part of me is laughing at this.

A coworker of mine said we got Josh she was afraid she would jinx it. Because she figured he would change his mind.

Belichick must be retiring.

I can't think of any other reason why he would stay in NE unless a better coaching gig came with it.

As much as the local pundits wondered why the national media didn't report this well this is why.

That being said this makes the Colts look bad to put it mildly. 
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018-19 NFL Thread

rwongega wrote:

Which QB will be drafted #1 or will a QB be drafted #1? The NFL Ready Rosen? The Project Allen? The Next $C Bust Darnold? Yes, Rosen
    Will 2017's surprise up-and-comers (Philly, LA, Buffalo) have sophomore swoons like the previous years (Miami, Oakland, NYG)? Not like the Giants, anyway. Swoons tend to be driven by injuries. If healthy, all three teams will be good again.
    Will Houston ever stay healthy? I'm an optimist, so yes.
    What will be the new national news controversy? I can't predict something new, but I'll bet that Trump keeps fanning the kneeling issue.
    Will catches ever be fixed? I'm not sure the rule can be fixed, but it will be improved. The bright-line "all the way to the ground" rule will be eased, but slow motion replay guarantees that there will be controversy.
    Where will Kirk Cousins land? Jets
    Is this the year for the Chargers? Yeah, right.
    Which ex-Pat coach will succeed or will none of them? None is the safe bet
    Is Garoppolo for real? Yes
    Which Jon Gruden will the Raiders get? Joe Gibbs 2.0
    Who will win the Vikings QB Game of Thrones? Bridgewater, who will get hurt again.
    Who will be better? Alex Smith or Patrick Mahomes? Both will be mediocre. Smith will be better in the short run.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I won't lie a part of me is laughing at this.

A coworker of mine said we got Josh she was afraid she would jinx it. Because she figured he would change his mind.

Belichick must be retiring.

I can't think of any other reason why he would stay in NE unless a better coaching gig came with it.

As much as the local pundits wondered why the national media didn't report this well this is why.

That being said this makes the Colts look bad to put it mildly. 

Considering it's Josh McDaniels, he of the two different videotaping scandals, behavior isn't out of the norm for him. Either Belicheat is retiring or something about Luck/Irsay spooked him last second. He failed in Denver primarily because he was a poor personnel guy (2009 draft had 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, whiffed on all)

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Either that or he has issues with horses(Broncos, Colts)
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

McDaniels' agent even dropped him over the whole fiasco.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
McDaniels' agent even dropped him over the whole fiasco.

Well he's also Chris Ballard's agent(Colts GM) so that's not as surprising as you think.

That being said the Colts shouldn't have jumped the gun until he signed something.

Regardless I didn't want him as the coach to begin with so eh.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2018-19 NFL Thread

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Which QB will be drafted #1 or will a QB be drafted #1? The NFL Ready Rosen? The Project Allen? The Next $C Bust Darnold? If the Browns stay put, Barkley goes #1 and they take a QB at #4. But they may trade the pick to the highest bidder.
    Will 2017's surprise up-and-comers (Philly, LA, Buffalo) have sophomore swoons like the previous years (Miami, Oakland, NYG)? Buffalo has holes all over its roster and was remarkably lucky to go 9-7. I think they take a big step back.
    Will Houston ever stay healthy? Not as much as their fans would like.
    What will be the new national news controversy? I agree with AH, Trump will continue to be, well, Trump with the kneeling/anthem stuff.
    Will catches ever be fixed? Agreeing with AH again; they will amend the rule a bit so that Calvin Johnson-like plays will be considered catches.
    Where will Kirk Cousins land? I'll say Broncos
    Is this the year for the Chargers? I think they missed a golden chance this year playing a last-place schedule. They have a good roster, but on a 2nd place schedule, I think playoffs might be tough.
    Which ex-Pat coach will succeed or will none of them? None.
    Is Garoppolo for real? Yes.
    Which Jon Gruden will the Raiders get? The mediocre one.
    Who will win the Vikings QB Game of Thrones? I'm going to go with Keenum.
    Who will be better? Alex Smith or Patrick Mahomes? I'm a Mahomes believer in that offense.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject:

More questions:

Is Seattle no longer a legitimate contender?

Do the Rams apply the franchise tag to Sammy Watkins?

Do the Eagles keep Nick Foles, given Wentz's ACL recovery could linger well into the preseason, or do they trade him if a team offers a decent pick?

Will we see the Packers become active in free agency, with Ted Thompson no longer running the show and with Aaron Rodgers nearing his mid-30's?

Does Dak Prescott bounce back, and do the Cowboys find a way to get more speed into their aerial attack?

If Denver releases or trades Aqib Talib, who is more likely to get him: the Rams, whose DC, Wade Phillips, has experience with him? Or the Patriots, who once employed him and who are about to lose the unwanted Malcolm Butler?

Can the Ravens make the playoffs with Joe Flacco as their QB ever again? Can the Bengals with Andy Dalton?

Are we going to see Andrew Luck play at a high level ever again?

Can Marcus Mariota make a Jared Goff-like leap from one year to the next with a more modern approach to offense?

Do the Dolphins take a QB at #11 (or trade up to get one), with Tannehill's recent history?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
More questions:

Is Seattle no longer a legitimate contender? It just takes one year of getting it all together. A few moves and they might.

Do the Rams apply the franchise tag to Sammy Watkins?I hope not.

Do the Eagles keep Nick Foles, given Wentz's ACL recovery could linger well into the preseason, or do they trade him if a team offers a decent pick? Keep. Wentz supposedly may miss a few games in the regular season because he may also have a meniscus tear.

Will we see the Packers become active in free agency, with Ted Thompson no longer running the show and with Aaron Rodgers nearing his mid-30's? I certainly hope so. Dumping Capers was a good start but they need to restock talent.

Does Dak Prescott bounce back, and do the Cowboys find a way to get more speed into their aerial attack? I think we've seen the limit of Dak. He needs Elliott and an elite-level line to perform, not just an above-average one.

If Denver releases or trades Aqib Talib, who is more likely to get him: the Rams, whose DC, Wade Phillips, has experience with him? Or the Patriots, who once employed him and who are about to lose the unwanted Malcolm Butler? I hope it's the Rams.

Can the Ravens make the playoffs with Joe Flacco as their QB ever again? Can the Bengals with Andy Dalton? Ravens D is good enough to do so. If they add a legitimate receiver, very likely. Bengals? Not until they fix that line. Losing Zeitler and Whitworth hurt them badly.

Are we going to see Andrew Luck play at a high level ever again? Not until they fix their line.

Can Marcus Mariota make a Jared Goff-like leap from one year to the next with a more modern approach to offense? If the OC incorporates more read-option plays, maybe.

Do the Dolphins take a QB at #11 (or trade up to get one), with Tannehill's recent history? I would like it if we traded up for one but I doubt it.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22370038/49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-agree-5-year-1375m-deal

Jimmy G, 5 years 137.5 million...wow!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22370038/49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-agree-5-year-1375m-deal

Definitely a load of money for someone with less than 10 career starts. I'm wondering how much of it is guaranteed. Might be worth it though. Plus, it'll set the bar for Cousins, etc.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Definitely a load of money for someone with less than 10 career starts. I'm wondering how much of it is guaranteed. Might be worth it though. Plus, it'll set the bar for Cousins, etc.

The great thing is that the 49ers still have plenty of cap room to sign a couple of impactful FAs. They have some major needs on both sides of the ball, but if they spend wisely and Jimmy G is as good as he seemed this season, maybe the 49ers can become a dark horse contender in 2018.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

$74 million
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

According to Schefter, Frank Reich is expected to be the new Colts coach.

ETA will be a 5 year deal contract being finalized.

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/11/jerry-glanville-returns-to-coaching-at-76/

Quote:
Jerry Glanville returns to coaching at 76

The Man in Black now has plenty of gray, but he’s still ready to teach some football.

Jerry Glanville, who routinely dressed like Johnny Cash and even more routinely left tickets at will call for Elvis Presley, will join the coaching staff of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, according to 3downnation.com.

Hired by head coach June Jones, Glanville will have a role on the defensive side of the ball.

Glanville coached both the Oilers and the Falcons in the ’80s and ’90s, generating a record of 63-73, including four playoff appearances and three postseason wins. After a coaching stint at both a defensive coordinator (Hawaii) and head coach (Portland State) at the college level, Glanville was due to become head coach of the UFL’s Hartford Colonials in 2011, but the league suspended operations before the season began.

During his time with the Falcons, Glanville traded a quarterback with a funny last name to a place where he’d become a legend.

“I had to get him out of Atlanta,” Glanville said in 2010 regarding the decision to give up on Brett Favre after only one year. “I could not sober him up. I sent him to a city where at 9:00 at night the only thing that’s open is Chili Joes. You can get it two ways, with or without onions. And that’s what made Brett Favre make a comeback was going to a town that closed down. If I would have traded him to New York, nobody to this day would have known who Brett Favre ever was.”

Glanville is now heading to a town that he probably wouldn’t have been able to find on a map, and possibly wondering about the redundancy of his new team’s name. (“I ain’t never seen a Tiger-Dog,” Glanville might say.)

Regardless, he’s back. And there’s still a chance that he’ll eventually be working with a modern-day Brett Favre who is still trying to get back to the NFL.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

You gotta wait for him to actually sign it for it. And then wait until the regular season starts before it becomes official.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

You gotta wait for him to actually sign it for it. And then wait until the regular season starts before it becomes official.

Its official they showed Frank sign the contract.

Regardless he truly is the ultimate backup isn't he?

I prefer him over McDaniels not sure if it means he's the right choice though.

He still has to overcome a crackhead owner.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

As Belicheat has shown with the Jests, even signing the contract means it's not official.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/49ers-Foster-arrested-domestic-violence-12605724.php

Quote:
Reuben Foster, the 49ers’ inside linebacker, was booked Sunday at the Santa Clara County Jail on charges relating to domestic violence, according to a person with knowledge of the incident.

Foster, 23, was arrested in Los Gatos and held on $75,000 bail, according to the jail booking records.

The Los Gatos Police Department did not respond to calls for comment.

This is Foster’s second arrest within a month. He was taken into custody on Jan. 12 in Tuscaloosa, Ala., for second-degree marijuana possession, meaning it’s for personal use, a Class A misdemeanor in the state.

In 2017, he failed a drug test at the NFL combine for submitting a diluted urine sample. He was kicked out of the NFL combine in early March after an altercation with a hospital employee.

John Lynch has said he has no tolerance. Let's see if he puts his money where his mouth is. Foster's drop in the draft was due to his character and injury issues. Both have come out in the past season.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

As Belicheat has shown with the Jests, even signing the contract means it's not official.

I didn't know he actually signed with them how did he get out of that one?

Honestly while I do like this move I don't blame any coach not wanting to work for a crackhead.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/49ers-Foster-arrested-domestic-violence-12605724.php

Quote:
Reuben Foster, the 49ers’ inside linebacker, was booked Sunday at the Santa Clara County Jail on charges relating to domestic violence, according to a person with knowledge of the incident.

Foster, 23, was arrested in Los Gatos and held on $75,000 bail, according to the jail booking records.

This is Foster’s second arrest within a month. He was taken into custody on Jan. 12 in Tuscaloosa, Ala., for second-degree marijuana possession, meaning it’s for personal use, a Class A misdemeanor in the state.

In 2017, he failed a drug test at the NFL combine for submitting a diluted urine sample. He was kicked out of the NFL combine in early March after an altercation with a hospital employee.

John Lynch has said he has no tolerance. Let's see if he puts his money where his mouth is. Foster's drop in the draft was due to his character and injury issues. Both have come out in the past season.

Yeah, his draft slide makes sense now. The red flags have already come to the forefront and it isn't even one calendar year later.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

I didn't know he actually signed with them how did he get out of that one?

Honestly while I do like this move I don't blame any coach not wanting to work for a crackhead.[/quote]

Doing something slippery. Sounds like his corner.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, his draft slide makes sense now. The red flags have already come to the forefront and it isn't even one calendar year later.

Already injured for 6 games and 2 arrests, increasing in severity, in 10 months. Not good for him.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 1 of 106
Jump to: