Max FA route or Grow slow and organic route
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to take risk for Max FAs or grow slow through draft?
Max FAs
58%
 58%  [ 28 ]
Grow slow and organic
41%
 41%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 48

cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
This city is not about slow and grind, it's about winning now, it's about bringing the bling bling, and the glitz to the stars. Leave the slow to the country small town folks.

The problem all the bling bling and the glitz are in the bay area right now. So getting that back won't be easy.

there i absolutely disagree.
if we get lbj and pg, can u imagine the hype.
the defending warrior champs with 4 hall of famers against lbj, pg and the up and coming lakers youths featuring ball and his famous dad
the ratings would hit the roof.
sf vs la
and if la ever gets by sf, then you got la vs. boston
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
This city is not about slow and grind, it's about winning now, it's about bringing the bling bling, and the glitz to the stars. Leave the slow to the country small town folks.

The problem all the bling bling and the glitz are in the bay area right now. So getting that back won't be easy.

Can't just throw $$ at it like the Shakobe days. It takes CBA & talent acquisition skills now.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:

Can't just throw $$ at it like the Shakobe days. It takes CBA & talent acquisition skills now.

That's exactly how the Warriors have their current team.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:

the defending warrior champs with 4 hall of famers against lbj, pg and the up and coming lakers youths featuring ball and his famous dad
sf vs la

I know we are going to the 2nd round with that team at least you forgot LA vs HOU I mean Houston already beat us in baseball let's hope they don't get us in basketball too.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

We can do both.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:

sf vs la

I know we are going to the 2nd round with that team at least you forgot LA vs HOU I mean Houston already beat us in baseball let's hope they don't get us in basketball too.

come on, we almost beat houston last game with no lebron or pg.
imo, we meet warriors in the west finals if we get 2 max.
what happens then will be more dependent on health to me and we got the younger team by far...
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
We can do both.

agreed, and we already did the slow painful part.
and we only have 2018 offseason and 2019 offseason to do the 2 max before bi's salary shoots up.
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
We can do both.

and we only have 2018 offseason and 2019 offseason to do the 2 max before bi's salary shoots up.

I don't think a lot of people get this part.Come 2020 our cap space is going to be eaten up and if we don't sign anyone by then the only way to get better is lucking out in the draft or trading those young "core" pieces. Everyone wants to be Boston but unless those players make a big jump they won't be any title favorites regardless of how much capitol they have. The point isn't to grow players just to say you grew them it's to win championship.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow1843 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
We can do both.

I don't think a lot of people get this part.Come 2020 our cap space is going to be eaten up and if we don't sign anyone by then the only way to get better is lucking out in the draft or trading those young "core" pieces. Everyone wants to be Boston but unless those players make a big jump they won't be any title favorites regardless of how much capitol they have. The point isn't to grow players just to say you grew them it's to win championship.

i guess, but it is seems pretty obvious.
bi comes off his rookie contract by end of 2019 season.
at that point, the 2 max plan is probably toast.
at which point, we either have to tank as unfun as that is.
or hope what we have is enough.
just look at what cavs did to the 'home-grow' boston core with 2 so-so max fa (1 injured)
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
Lakeshow1843 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
We can do both.

just look at what cavs did to the 'home-grow' boston core with 2 so-so max fa (1 injured)

It's just one game man. We'll see what happens in the playoffs if they match up which if things stay like they are, will be in the 2nd round.

Boston has home-grown talent, FAs, and traded for ballers. Traded for IT, signed Horford, drafted Brown and Tatum, traded for Kyrie, signed Hayward.

GS is also a mix.

This is what we have to do. If we sign two max guys in 2018 and/or 2019 while keeping our main young trio, we'll be in a great shape. Maybe one of the trio gets traded later for a third piece to put us over the top, maybe not. We'll see.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Lakeshow1843 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
We can do both.

It's just one game man. We'll see what happens in the playoffs if they match up which if things stay like they are, will be in the 2nd round.

Boston has home-grown talent, FAs, and traded for ballers. Traded for IT, signed Horford, drafted Brown and Tatum, traded for Kyrie, signed Hayward.

GS is also a mix.

This is what we have to do. If we sign two max guys in 2018 and/or 2019 while keeping our main young trio, we'll be in a great shape. Maybe one of the trio gets traded later for a third piece to put us over the top, maybe not. We'll see.

it has to be both. hopefully it is a home-grown quartet or quintet instead of the trio.
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Lakeshow1843 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
We can do both.

GS is also a mix.

True it is one game so yea grain/salt. But I honestly feel like people don't put enough respect on lebrons name. Like they completely forget how bonkers this guy goes during the playoffs. They have all of those assets and for what?To be lebrons doormat?
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow1843 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Lakeshow1843 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
We can do both.

GS is also a mix.

True it is one game so yea grain/salt. But I honestly feel like people don't put enough respect on lebrons name. Like they completely forget how bonkers this guy goes during the playoffs. They have all of those assets and for what?To be lebrons doormat?

Does LeBron really need anyone else putting him on a pedestal? It's been like a decade maybe more of him being in the GOAT conversation. Boston are a legit team, they aren't anyone's doormat. One game. We'll see in the playoffs.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow1843 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Lakeshow1843 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
We can do both.

GS is also a mix.

that is what i like about the new fo.
championship attitude
we are going to build a champ or die trying
no need for half way solutions
or even three quarter solutions
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Organic doesn’t have to be slow, although it could be. My preference has always been to take the smartest path to success.

Sometimes the smart path is quick, sometimes it’s slow, but most often it is in between.

Identify the needs, and fill the needs when they come available if they come available at a smsrt price. And always have a plan b.

Easier said than done. At least Pelinka has stated numerous times they have a plan B and different tricks up their sleeve and I have no reason not to believe him.
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Lakeshow1843 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Lakeshow1843 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
We can do both.

GS is also a mix.

Does LeBron really need anyone else putting him on a pedestal? It's been like a decade maybe more of him being in the GOAT conversation. Boston are a legit team, they aren't anyone's doormat. One game. We'll see in the playoffs.

Hmmm...slightly differing opinions on that. I don't feel like there's too high to place someone in regards to their sporting achievements. If you're fire then you're fire. There's a reason people put him up on a pedestal. He's the reason GS is who they are today. Kd wasn't going to join if they won. I'm not going to discount or not want what he brings to the court out of fandom for Kobe. Imo I think some of us are holding on to Kobe, guilty myself sometimes, and forgetting that the lakers are bigger than him.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow1843 wrote:
Hmmm...slightly differing opinions on that. I don't feel like there's too high to place someone in regards to their sporting achievements. If you're fire then you're fire. There's a reason people put him up on a pedestal. He's the reason GS is who they are today. Kd wasn't going to join if they won. I'm not going to discount or not want what he brings to the court out of fandom for Kobe. Imo I think some of us are holding on to Kobe, guilty myself sometimes, and forgetting that the lakers are bigger than him.

Wait, what? When did I say that I wouldn't accept/want him on this team? Dude look at my sig.
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Lakeshow1843 wrote:

Wait, what? When did I say that I wouldn't accept/want him on this team? Dude look at my sig.

No no not you fam. I'm talking about the anti-lebron horde the farm faction lol.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Organic doesn’t have to be slow, although it could be. My preference has always been to take the smartest path to success.

Sometimes the smart path is quick, sometimes it’s slow, but most often it is in between.

Identify the needs, and fill the needs when they come available if they come available at a smsrt price. And always have a plan b.

Easier said than done. At least Pelinka has stated numerous times they have a plan B and different tricks up their sleeve and I have no reason not to believe him.

Well, I agree it isn't easy. It requires patience. And discipline.

My point though, is that I've never been a fan, in business or in sports, of aggressive, time-based goals. I think it lends to people sacrificing the long term, for the short term. Of course you need goals, but IMO, the goals need to be realistic, and realistically attainable without relying on home runs to get there.

So IMO, the goal should be, get 5-7 games better each season. That is realistic and attainable. Then, keep developing the players you have, and if a SMART opportunity presents itself to accelerate that and far exceed your goal, go for it.

In other words, don't put your entire retirement portfolio into crypto. =)
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
trablos wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

My point though, is that I've never been a fan, in business or in sports, of aggressive, time-based goals. I think it lends to people sacrificing the long term, for the short term. Of course you need goals, but IMO, the goals need to be realistic, and realistically attainable without relying on home runs to get there.

So IMO, the goal should be, get 5-7 games better each season. That is realistic and attainable. Then, keep developing the players you have, and if a SMART opportunity presents itself to accelerate that and far exceed your goal, go for it.

the problem is that the situation is time-based.
bi up for extension in 2 years.
then ball/kuz the year after that.
once that happens, ur cap space rapidly diminishes.
cap management requires timing.
so it is now (and 2019) or never without shipping out bi, ball, kuz etc.
or tank and get other high picks that way.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

plan b this year is easy.
lack of cap space overall in the nba gives them a lot of choice.
but if the goal is 2 max, then they need to push $ into 2019 as 1 year expiring.
there will be more $ in teams after 2019 because most of those mistakes will expire next year - like moz, deng and other peoples's dengs like the knicks's center.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
trablos wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Well, I'm not saying you can't have time-based goals. What I'm opposed to, is overly aggressive time-based goals. The goal should be to make your team better in the long term.

For instance, yes, if you don't do anything, then in 2 years our cap space diminishes. But does that mean we should sign a non-deserving player to a max contract in order to do SOMETHING within 2 years?

Not for me. I'd rather use my cap space to find smart, value signings. That, if they don't work out the way you hoped, can still easily be moved as a plan B down the road. With a buyer's market looming, this is definitely possible.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
trablos wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Well, I'm not saying you can't have time-based goals. What I'm opposed to, is overly aggressive time-based goals. The goal should be to make your team better in the long term.

For instance, yes, if you don't do anything, then in 2 years our cap space diminishes. But does that mean we should sign a non-deserving player to a max contract in order to do SOMETHING within 2 years?

Not for me. I'd rather use my cap space to find smart, value signings. That, if they don't work out the way you hoped, can still easily be moved as a plan B down the road. With a buyer's market looming, this is definitely possible.

so we are roughly in agreement.

the fa's should be worth the money.
lbj may be where we disagree as to me he could be the key to 2-3 championships but then his slot is forever gone after retirement as bi/ball/kuz/etc contract on top of the max contracts take us over the cap.

also dumping clarkson's contract is also logical.
in the pending buyer's market, we can probably get someone similar for less $ than 12m/yr if we should so choose.
coupled that with the flexibility to go after 2 max, trading clarkson was a masterful move.
especially with the 1st round pick because cavs were desperate to improve their team this year.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:

sf vs la

what happens then will be more dependent on health to me and we got the younger team by far...

I know, but still we have to be ready for that second round death match before we get to the western final you know build us up mentality.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:

sf vs la

I know, but still we have to be ready for that second round death match before we get to the western final you know build us up mentality.

nay, we take it in 5 or 6
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: