Unpopular / Un-PC opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.

I think that's the PC opinion. The un-PC opinion is that it's not just white people.

Dude get out of my brain, I was going to write that, wtf.

As a honk, I'll posit that some majority of whites (especially men) act like Dawg's position is the un-PC one. They cry and whine and stomp their feet when they see/hear some person of color making some assessment of the level of racism inherent in larger white America. They act that way even when the POC says it's residual or subconscious racism and not as blatantly overt as it was in the 60s South.

White folk have more than their fair share of racist or bigoted attitudes, trust. Their unwillingness to concede or even accept that the other side's POV has merit blocks dialogue and not just understanding, but empathy and feelings of shared community. Too often, they take the claim as an accusation, and even a personal one in many cases. They try the standard tricks to prove they're not the LEAST bit racist (hence the "I have black friends!" meme which African-Americans find especially amusing) and they seem to think that even admitting that there are a lot of racist/bigoted/xenophobic/stereotypical views shared by many whites implies that POCs are saying that whites are completely beyond salvage.

Terms like "identity politics" deny that whites and African-Americans are part of a shared national/historical CULTURE. AAs have their own racial identity and culture as well, which is a hard thing for some whites to get thru their domes, especially during Black History Month. They also act like POCs wouldn't also admit that a lot of POCs are bigoted/xenophobic/racist too (the colloquial, non-academia definition of the r-word; i.e. not "institutional racism"). I think such admissions would be easier if both whites and AAs and other POCs were freer in fessing up to their attitudes, but I ain't holdin my breath. It's hard enough getting people to admit that they MIGHT be wrong in any way. Frank discussions of race where both sides are willing to forgive and be empathetic to each other are tough. The subject makes people highly defensive. I gotta say that this seems especially true of other whites. I see it in my own race. Given what's goin on in Amurica lately, it's not really that difficult to notice. You would THINK. However, a lot of white America couldn't handle Obama while we got this circus clown in there who the same people love.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
PC: Official Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial | Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Un-PC: What Martin Luther King Actually Thought About Car Commercials

Using MLK to sell that junk was beyond repulsive.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:

When i first saw the ad, I felt the same way. But then I asked myself, why I felt that way.

What’s the difference, ultimately, between using MLK vs any other social or political movement to sell your product?

Lyft did it. KFC recently. GE. Nike does it all the time.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Christopher C wrote:

When i first saw the ad, I felt the same way. But then I asked myself, why I felt that way.

What’s the difference, ultimately, between using MLK vs any other social or political movement to sell your product?

Lyft did it. KFC recently. GE. Nike does it all the time.

Dr. Harry Edwards: It’s Despicable for Dodge to Use MLK’s Words to Peddle Trucks During Super Bowl
Democracy Now! | Feb 5, 2018
Quote:
For more on the controversy and the history of racial justice protests in professional sports, we speak with Dr. Harry Edwards, professor emeritus of sociology at the University of California, Berkeley.

YouTube
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

We got a 2 minute long commercial featuring people born without limbs from Toyota.... There's nothing off limits anymore apparently. I don't want to sound like an unsympathetic a-hole... But come on now.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Christopher C wrote:

When i first saw the ad, I felt the same way. But then I asked myself, what would the contrary position be?

Fify
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject:

Unpopular opinion: LaVar Ball's idea of a league to compete with the NCAA is a great idea, and could really work if he's going to pay the players ok money.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Unpopular opinion: LaVar Ball's idea of a league to compete with the NCAA is a great idea, and could really work if he's going to pay the players ok money.

I hope the league is a huge success. Screw the NCAA.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.

Race is the ultimate inconvenient truth for the majority. The Original Sin that’s taboo for some to talk about. Completely agree w CD’s take. For years, they tried to avoid talking about and whine racism was solved in 60s lol. Trump era has finally made some open their eyes.

Having worked in hyper-white male work environments (e.g. being the only POC in 50-70 staff offices), it’s amazing to see how out of touch and honestly, lack of care many of these majority have. The bubble is real. They are more concerned with Cecil the tiger than 12 yr old Tamir Rice being shot by cops. Amazing. Best part is the coded words, and how clever they think they are with the veiled racism... rise of dog whistle politics of current regime is giving this group a voice.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Race is the ultimate inconvenient truth for the majority. The Original Sin that’s taboo for some to talk about. Completely agree w CD’s take. For years, they tried to avoid talking about and whine racism was solved in 60s lol. Trump era has finally made some open their eyes.

Having worked in hyper-white male work environments (e.g. being the only POC in 50-70 staff offices), it’s amazing to see how out of touch and honestly, lack of care many of these majority have. The bubble is real. They are more concerned with Cecil the tiger than 12 yr old Tamir Rice being shot by cops. Amazing. Best part is the coded words, and how clever they think they are with the veiled racism... rise of dog whistle politics of current regime is giving this group a voice.

If youve been around different groups long enough you'll find out there are parts of groups that just dont like anyone. Ive heard black people saying racists things to mexicans, asians hating on blacks, mexicans talking about whites, whites talking about everyone. To make racism seem like it only comes from certain groups is hilarious. Everything is about race nowadays its insane, even gotten to the point where if you say you dont care about race makes you a racist.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject:

And to think these bigots try to hide behind activities like yoga.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-yoga-american-white-supremacy-michigan-state-university-shreena-gandhi-racism-professor-a8185206.html

Yeah, we see right through your downward dog, you racist yogis.
Blargg
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject:

"Reverse racism" and "reverse gender discrimination" are stupid terms that shouldn't exist. You can be racist/sexist no matter what your ethnicity/gender is.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

Literally no one is making the following point - "only white people are racist." If you are arguing against that imaginary point, you need to listen and learn more, and talk less.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
Literally no one is making the following point - "only white people are racist." If you are arguing against that imaginary point, you need to listen and learn more, and talk less.
its called a deflection tactic.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

If youve been around different groups long enough you'll find out there are parts of groups that just dont like anyone. Ive heard black people saying racists things to mexicans, asians hating on blacks, mexicans talking about whites, whites talking about everyone. To make racism seem like it only comes from certain groups is hilarious. Everything is about race nowadays its insane, even gotten to the point where if you say you dont care about race makes you a racist.

Yeah, when will the blacks and Latinos and gays and women take their boot off the neck of the poor white straight male?
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

someone i know looped me into a group text and sent a screenshot with the following opinions:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.
The world is not flat.
Vaccines can't cause autism.
Islam is not a religion of peace.
Black people can be racist.
The gender pay gap is false.
The Racial pay gap is false.
The Russians didn't hack the election.
Islam is not a race.
Sharia law would bring more oppression.
Men aren't the only ones that r ( a t ) pe.
Slavery wasn't invented by white people.
Pepe the frog isn't a hate symbol, just a meme.
White privilege isn't real.
Wealth privilege is real.
Racial preference is not racist.
A gender studies degree won't even get you in a McDonald's.
Protesting a democratic election will get tiring after a while.
Misandry and Misogyny are the same thing.
Reverse racism isn't real, that's because it's just racism.

i imagine this is the type of bull that gets floated around on twitter to get reactions out of people. not subtle smh.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/fat-activist-1.4546947
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Jaden's a better rapper than his dad:

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
someone i know looped me into a group text and sent a screenshot with the following opinions:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.

If someone doesn't know the difference between "there is" and "there are", they shouldn't be commenting on how many of anything there may be.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.

If someone doesn't know the difference between "there is" and "there are", they shouldn't be commenting on how many of anything there may be.

Mr. Grammar Police don't you know grammar ain't taught no more in the US schools
https://ttlearning.com/blog/why-dont-us-schools-teach-grammar/
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.

Mr. Grammar Police don't you know grammar ain't taught no more in the US schools
https://ttlearning.com/blog/why-dont-us-schools-teach-grammar/

They teach grammer these days. E... Then they take a trip to the libarry.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject:

DC council votes to decriminalize fare-jumping because....racism?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2018/11/14/dc-council-votes-decriminalize-metro-fare-evasion/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3f5dc2c99af4
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I think the Beatles are overrated. I get their historical impact, but I don't think it's an objective reality that they're the best band of all time.

They've never moved me.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I think the Beatles are overrated. I get their historical impact, but I don't think it's an objective reality that they're the best band of all time.

They've never moved me.

I feel the same about Queen. I've never liked their music.

beatles are great imo
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

DC council votes to decriminalize fare-jumping because....racism?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2018/11/14/dc-council-votes-decriminalize-metro-fare-evasion/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3f5dc2c99af4

The whole "Bus Fare" regime has always puzzled me. It seems that about every 3 years or so, we get hit with a new levy, in one form or another, to fund rapid transit expansion. Here in Seattle, additional funds for Rapid Transit alone has seen a tripling of our car tab registration fees over the past few years. Why are they asking for a fare in the first place? Isn't that basically a double tax? When they issue a levy to fix or upgrade the parks, they don't then turn around and start charging the public to use them.

And then as a more basic matter, if somebody can't even afford bus fare, why on earth does anyone feel the need to look at their plight and try to make matters worse? Every since a bus driver got into it with a crazy passenger here, who pulled a gun and shot him, sending a bus full of passengers careening off a bridge and smashing into an apartment building below, the rapid transit policy has been for Bus Drivers to not hassle passengers who couldn't pay on the standard city buses. The light rail and rapid transit routes have their own fare enforcement personnel, but it's pretty comical since most people know that they have a policy against detention for non fare payment so they just simply walk away from them.

Bottom line, failing to pay a fare on a public service system should have never been a criminal matter in the first place. It's clearly a civil infraction Nobody should ever be under threat of having their freedom taken away because of bus fare. The only time I get to use public transit is when going to a ball game or the airport and I always carry extra cash because I know I'm going to encounter a number of poor people who can't afford to pay a fare and can't stand the stupidity of trying to saddle someone who can't afford a $2 fare with a ticket for $60. That's just craziness...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15
Jump to: