One year since Front Office restructure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I hope the end game is more than just cap space, b/c we were once there in 2016.

I give the FO high marks up to this point, but they have to eventually close this out and form a permanent team at some point. I think constantly punting has a negative psychological effect long-term on our young players.

I love Mitch and am forever grateful for his magic wand that landed us Gasol and 2 Championships.

My tiny criticism of his management style however is that he was often excessively rigid on staying with his chosen course of action. He would have a Plan A and would follow through with that Plan no matter what the circumstances were. Rarely would he switch mid-stream even if the situation called for it.

To me, cap space by itself is supremely important because it gives us flexibility. We can try to (i) go for 2 Max Players or (ii) we can try to go for one this year and one the next or (iii) we can use the space to get bad contracts in exchange for picks/talented players , (iv) we can use that space to sign someone currently undervalued like the Griz did with Tyreke Evans and flip that player later on for something else or (v) we can accept players without giving any salary to our trade partner back in order to help them with their tax situations. I am sure I am only scratching the surface of what can be done with that space.

That's where Pelinka gives me more confidence. He has shown a lot more flexibility and is willing to change plans once circumstances change. So I think the cap space is really important but getting that space is only phase I. Pelinka now has to enact phase II which is to choose the correct option once the situation regarding FAs become clearer in July. That will be supremely difficult but at least we are in a position to make that choice, a lot of other teams don't have this luxury.

Last edited by Vanquish on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I hope the end game is more than just cap space, b/c we were once there in 2016.

I give the FO high marks up to this point, but they have to eventually close this out and form a permanent team at some point. I think constantly punting has a negative psychological effect long-term on our young players.

I love Mitch and am forever grateful for his magic wand that landed us Gasol and 2 Championships.

My tiny criticism of his management style however is that he often seemed to be of a one track mind. He would have a Plan A and would follow through with that Plan no matter what the circumstances were.

To me, cap space by itself is supremely important because it gives us flexibility. We can try to (i) go for 2 Max Players or (ii) we can try to go for one this year and one the next or (iii) we can use the space to get bad contracts in exchange for picks/talented players or (iv) we can use that space to sign someone currently undervalued like the Griz did with Tyreke Evans and flip that player later on for something else.

That's where Pelinka gives me more confidence. He has shown a lot more flexibility and is willing to change plans once circumstances change. So I think the cap space is really important but getting that space is only phase I. Pelinka now has to enact phase II which is to choose the correct option once the situation regarding FAs become clearer in July. That will be supremely difficult but at least we are in a position to make that choice, a lot of other teams don't have this luxury.

I definitely have more confidence in Pelinka than Magic. I think, if allowed to manage the team autonomously, Pelinka seems to be shrewd enough to make smart moves. But right now, he seems to be more of a puppet to Magic. I'd like to see that change in time so we can see what Pelinka can do.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject:

PG is a perfect fit. A two way player who is a star without the ego (that usually comes with a player of his stature). He would help our team D and outside shooting big time.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
55 wrote:
2/8 - created cap space for 2 max.

They have a clear vision and are working it to perfection. A+ from me.

I know, I know, they still haven't landed the 2 maxes... but summer hasn't arrived yet either.
They had the same clear vision with the old regime. not knocking the new one. just sayin. people didnt like that the old regime wasnt telling them every move they were about to make. this regime does that. then the same people get upset that they are telling everything and even getting fined for it more or less.

Both regimes were trying to clear cap for 2 superstars. The first regime struck out to some degree but the options it had were never real options to begin with. That front office NEVER lost one.

Melo was never coming, Lemarcus was never coming here, lebron at that moment in time was not coming here. Remember we either had an aging old hurt kobe and a bunch of children fresh out of their college freshman year. you were not going to win anything for real with that.

nothing has changed. we are still looking for those stars.

PG13 said with his own mouth he was coming here in the summer, then got traded to okc to play with other stars. if we miss on him, i still wont blame the current FO because indy was never going to trade him to us unless they took everything we had. and he wasnt worth EVERYTHING we had. If pg13 comes, great. but that has nothing to do with mitch or magic or jim or Rob. its pg wanting to go home like lemarcus wasnted to go home while also playing for a contender in his later years.

basically the GM/FO didnt have to do anything to entice the player.

If we would've ended with boogie(assuming no injury). that would've been because boogie was already coming if the kings would've traded him to begin with to us. but they refused to do so. so boogie was already coming this way. Mitch and jim would've taken boogie also if he was going into Free agency. again nothing new.

if bron comes. it has zero to do with the FO and everything to do with bron going where bron wants to go like he always does.

MItch and Jim found Bynum
Mitch and Jim found Clarkson, Zubac, Larry, randle, and ingram.
MItch and jim found DLO which turned into Lopez and kuz.and even if we kept dlo. dlo is a pretty darn good young offensive player(when healthy of course.)

the new FO got zo, hart, and kuz..

same thing if you ask me. both FO's found diamonds in JC/Larry and Kuz/hart that late.

The first FO had better shooters less defense. this FO has better defense and no shooters and no ft makers.

so why is today's team better? because they have a legit center in lopez. that wasnt available to flip since dlo was too young and we didnt know what we had in him yet to say we should keep him or trade him.

i'm saying mitch and jim could've made the same trade. and possibly would have.

The old FO got us into the MozDeng mess.
The new FO just about got us out of the same mess.
The new FO has shown better negotiation/trading skills than the old one.
but the same old FO couldve trade those guys the same way the new FO did. what makes you think they couldnt? you do realize mitch and jim were here when we flipped kwame and a marc gasol pre nba for gasol.

So yes you can package trash with a young prospect or draft picks of a young prospect. and that old FO knew that too.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Like you, I consider the two max free agent strategy to be a poor gamble. However, if Magic pulls it off, I'll tip my cap to him.
but its not a poor gamble. its a gamble that we have to make and keep making. what are we giving up? playoffs. so what. unless you believe that at least 2 of our young guys are superstars. it wont matter even if we lose out. we didnt give up anything. JC and Larry can be easily found in the coming draft or the next. These guys are always out there in the draft.
People are acting like we are trading away young guys that are super solid starters on a championship team. that was not the case. and even if JC and Larry end up looking great next to bron. it only means what this FO and the last were trying to do is the best way to go since bron is a superstar. You need to pair these kids with a vet superstar or 3.

This has been discussed in thousands of posts in dozens of threads. By now, you should know the counter-argument by heart.
and that counter argument doesnt make my argument any less true. it makes it another opinion of what COULD happen.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
55 wrote:

I know, I know, they still haven't landed the 2 maxes... but summer hasn't arrived yet either.
They had the same clear vision with the old regime. not knocking the new one. just sayin. people didnt like that the old regime wasnt telling them every move they were about to make. this regime does that. then the same people get upset that they are telling everything and even getting fined for it more or less.

Both regimes were trying to clear cap for 2 superstars. The first regime struck out to some degree but the options it had were never real options to begin with. That front office NEVER lost one.

Melo was never coming, Lemarcus was never coming here, lebron at that moment in time was not coming here. Remember we either had an aging old hurt kobe and a bunch of children fresh out of their college freshman year. you were not going to win anything for real with that.

PG13 said with his own mouth he was coming here in the summer, then got traded to okc to play with other stars. if we miss on him, i still wont blame the current FO because indy was never going to trade him to us unless they took everything we had. and he wasnt worth EVERYTHING we had. If pg13 comes, great. but that has nothing to do with mitch or magic or jim or Rob. its pg wanting to go home like lemarcus wasnted to go home while also playing for a contender in his later years.

If we would've ended with boogie(assuming no injury). that would've been because boogie was already coming if the kings would've traded him to begin with to us. but they refused to do so. so boogie was already coming this way. Mitch and jim would've taken boogie also if he was going into Free agency. again nothing new.

if bron comes. it has zero to do with the FO and everything to do with bron going where bron wants to go like he always does.

MItch and jim found DLO which turned into Lopez and kuz.and even if we kept dlo. dlo is a pretty darn good young offensive player(when healthy of course.)

same thing if you ask me. both FO's found diamonds in JC/Larry and Kuz/hart that late.

The first FO had better shooters less defense. this FO has better defense and no shooters and no ft makers.

so why is today's team better? because they have a legit center in lopez. that wasnt available to flip since dlo was too young and we didnt know what we had in him yet to say we should keep him or trade him.

at Jim and Mitch making the Lopez trade. It's difficult to see that happening since the entire reason for the trade was to get rid of Mozgov's contract. Have you forgotten that they were the ones who gave Mozgov that contract to begin with? They gave he and Deng those moronic deals because they had given up on landing a star through free agency. Mozgov would still be the starting center if they were still here. There's no reason to think they would've given up on Mozgov that quickly. And even if they would have, it would've been further proof of their incompetence that they had committed so much money to a guy, only to turn around and try to pull the plug after just one year.

I still think that if the old regime was still here, they would've fought their hardest for a Melo trade once Phil put him on the block, just so they could say, 'Hey, we brought an All-Star to the team just in time for the ASG.' And the whole thing would've been an epic disaster.

Lopez is an expire contract. the old FO like the new FO were always looking for large expiring contracts to create space for their superstar FA theory. yes i do think they would flip the guys they got. you guys think because they paid those guys too much that they didnt want to flip them later for something else and they didnt know they would have to package them up with picks or one of our up and comer kids? of course they knew this.

This FO right now has a lot of things in its favor purely due to timing. not their timing doing things but the year and date it is today. meaning guys are coming up to be FREE agents, guys contracts are about to expire. Some of the kids are growing up and you can some what see who they are now for better or for worse ...healthy or not that healthy(DLO).

Lopez was not an expiring contract when the old FO was in business. so he was not an option for us then. KCP was not off the books then either.
dont give this FO more credit than it deserves and dont underestimate the old regime based purely on the mos deng contracts. this FO has NO history, the other FO has a history of putting together championship caliber teams. dont forget that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

It appears we are at a similar crossroads to 2016, but not.

By that point, Jim was on the deadline and the Moz/Deng move reeked of desperation b/c punting probably would have been futile for them. I think the move to Order 66 them was b/c moves would be made premised on that feeling that you need to get yourself out of the quicksand at all costs, which could be deleterious to the long term health of the franchise.

Pelinka has impressed me with some savviness and they don't have the same air of desperation. We have a nice young core and even if I was unhappy DLO was traded, I'm 100% behind this FO and am cheering for them to kill it. If they succeed, the Lakers succeed.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
55 wrote:

They had the same clear vision with the old regime.

Their clear vision was 2 years from now when those horrible contracts expired.
Had they not overpaid dead weight we wouldn't have needed to get rid of a good young talent in order to unload Moz.
New regime is cleaning the old regime's mess right now and doing a great job at it while giving us the chance to compete next season.

wrong. Their vision was the same as always. clear space for the big FA's.

let me ask you the same question. knowing the moves mitch has made over the years. are you trying to lie to yourself and say he would not have offered up DLO and Mos for Lopez and a Pick?

Do you understand DLo started to semi sour with the coach that wanted him so badly(Bscott). Luke wasnt impressed either. not about his skills, about his work ethic to become what he ACTS like he is(a superstar). Then the knee issues. mitch and crew were the same guys who flipped bynum before the knees completely wore out. you dont think they didnt get the heebee jeebees seeing young DLO already having knee problems this early in his career? of course they did. add that in with him not acting like the star he think he was going to be. and you're saying we can get a LEGIT Center, that can also stretch the floor and defend AND get a 1st rounder. Shoot, sign me up says mitch and jimbo. oh by the way Lopez is expiring K. Sign me wayyy up. do not get stuck on those contracts thinking they loved those two guys for some odd reason. they didnt. They over paid the guys because the cap Floor rose so it made them have to pay someone too much money. the problem was not the pay it was the years. but they had to give them those years because neither vet wanted to deal with what they ended up dealing with later on...being trumped in the lineup not for better players but for Kids to grow up. You dont think mos and deng didnt see the writing on the wall when they came here? They knew we were running a college with all these kids. they knew we wanted to grow the young guys and at some point that meant stealing their mins even if they were playing well. they've been around the nba for awhile they know how this works which is why they asked for so many years. not to stay on the lakers. but to get setup where they would be guaranteed a job with great pay even once the lakers decided to move them.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

By that point, Jim was on the deadline and the Moz/Deng move reeked of desperation b/c punting probably would have been futile for them. I think the move to Order 66 them was b/c moves would be made premised on that feeling that you need to get yourself out of the quicksand at all costs, which could be deleterious to the long term health of the franchise.

Pelinka has impressed me with some savviness and they don't have the same air of desperation. We have a nice young core and even if I was unhappy DLO was traded, I'm 100% behind this FO and am cheering for them to kill it. If they succeed, the Lakers succeed.
Pelinka is savvy...so far. never thought he wouldnt be.

But lets not act like mitch and jim were not savvy as well. You guys are so stuck on those two deals not understanding why they made those deals. desperation lol. what is old man deng and one knee mos going to do for you in the win column? not much. you really think jim and mitch didnt know this? again. dont cloud your memory of everything they did with everything you though they did wrong. again. you and i both know good and well they would've gave up DLO and Mos for the same stuff (expiring real big man vet in lopez who has more defense and can shoot the 3, + a 1st rounder.)

To say mitch and co would not have tried that if they were still here is to say they've never made moves like that before and we know that is not the case.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
55 wrote:

The old FO got us into the MozDeng mess.
The new FO just about got us out of the same mess.
The new FO has shown better negotiation/trading skills than the old one.

Plus the new FO has drafted even better than the old one! For all the DLO lovers here, have you noticed that he doesn't even start on the Nets anymore?
the kid isnt fully healthy.

so saying they draft better means nothing. they're even as we speak.

You liked clarkson? old FO did that
you like randle? old FO did that

You like ingram? old FO did that

new FO did the same. draft the obvious ZO. did you hear why DLo was drafted? it was partially because bscott saw him as a big guard similar to magic. what do you think bscott would've seen in zo then? the exact same thing.

again people lets stop overrating and underrating either FO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Pelinka is savvy...so far. never thought he wouldnt be.

But lets not act like mitch and jim were not savvy as well. You guys are so stuck on those two deals not understanding why they made those deals. desperation lol. what is old man deng and one knee mos going to do for you in the win column? not much. you really think jim and mitch didnt know this? again. dont cloud your memory of everything they did with everything you though they did wrong. again. you and i both know good and well they would've gave up DLO and Mos for the same stuff (expiring real big man vet in lopez who has more defense and can shoot the 3, + a 1st rounder.)

To say mitch and co would not have tried that if they were still here is to say they've never made moves like that before and we know that is not the case.

Their problem was the deadline imposed by Jeannie on Jim (who imposed it on himself). Say what you want about the craziness of the Buss kids, but by 2016, the Moz/Deng showed desperation b/c they couldn't punt anymore (when they should have).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Like you, I consider the two max free agent strategy to be a poor gamble. However, if Magic pulls it off, I'll tip my cap to him.
but its not a poor gamble. its a gamble that we have to make and keep making. what are we giving up? playoffs. so what. unless you believe that at least 2 of our young guys are superstars. it wont matter even if we lose out. we didnt give up anything. JC and Larry can be easily found in the coming draft or the next. These guys are always out there in the draft.
People are acting like we are trading away young guys that are super solid starters on a championship team. that was not the case. and even if JC and Larry end up looking great next to bron. it only means what this FO and the last were trying to do is the best way to go since bron is a superstar. You need to pair these kids with a vet superstar or 3.

This has been discussed in thousands of posts in dozens of threads. By now, you should know the counter-argument by heart.
and that counter argument doesnt make my argument any less true. it makes it another opinion of what COULD happen.

Right. The point is that this has all been talked to death. We don't need another thread about it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

but this is the new NBA yin. you have to keep punting until you either draft those stars or you get them via trade or FA. other wise you will be the trailblazers. always in the playoffs but never going anywhere. No Thank you.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DLaker wrote:
Before the new FO

No cap space, no sure 1st round pick. No All star

Now

2 max contract possible, Created depth through the draft (Zo, Kuz,Hart, Bryant) that fit the system. Got a closer like player in IT. And got a draft pick this 2018. What a difference a year make.

LOL compare to the years spent from our old FO.

So happy right now that I see some light in the end of the tunnel.

Just for accuracy, the team had a max slot available, just not two.

this is what the FO cleared:

moz - $16m
deng - $18m
clarkson - $12m
total - $46m

that is $46m they cleared while getting 2 1st round pick and an expiring lopez to make 2017 interesting.

the new fo came in with the vision for 2 max slots for 2018.
over 1 year, they executed to perfection even with the 1st round 2018 pick needed to clear deng to allow 2 max slots + randle
this is both in planning and in negotiations with patience - bravo

Last edited by cal1piggy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
kwase wrote:
This FO is running circles around the previous one. Anybody who doesn't see that is just bias. In Magic we trust!

Exactly! Dealt an awful hand, yet in just a year:
- now have flexibility for the future (2 max)
- much better team (results speak for themselves)
- finally focusing on analytics
- doubling down on fitness
- caring about culture
- player development galore (see BI, Ingram, etc)
- nailing drafting
- winning trades
- becoming a place people want to play in (see PG)
- playing the game (finally skirting the rules on tampering)
- etc.

Yup. However, we need them to close this out. Having cap space is a means, not an end.

I do trust that even if they whiff on max FAs, they won't do a Moz/Deng franchise crippling desperation move. They've earned must trust on that end.

Definitely agree. You nailed it on the head - they’ve earned our trust. Now let’s sit back and see what happens.

I'm not panicking (though I'd be disappointed if we didn't get 2 or even 1 max). I think they'd thoughtfully pick out some good players to build around our young core. But i will not be happy if they merely punt 2 max to 2019. That would be a mistake IMO.

I would not be disappointed if the Lakers could not get the FA this summer as long as I see that they are making smart decision as a FO. I like how the FO has positioned ourselves to improve in more than just one way (ie FA, Trade, Draft and Cap flex). Unlike the old regime which was just positioned to hit the homerun IMO. But like yinoma said, I hope we can get that superstars this summer already we waited long enough
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Right. The point is that this has all been talked to death. We don't need another thread about it.

This is one year anniversary. If you don't like it don't comment in this thread.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

As his agent, Pelinka helped Kobe get that legacy contract. I'm sure Magic publicly supported it. As a front office, I'd say no way they would give Kobe 2yrs/48.5m. Pelinka is a shark who's well aware of the situation. Magic learned under Buss, who refused to pay Shaq 30m because he'd rather rebuild with Kobe. Magic also learned from Pat Riley.

The Pat Riley who told Lakers WAGs to look the other way and they will be rewarded with riches. The Pat Riley who fired a very good SVG to come down and coach Miami and Wade to their first title. The Pat Riley who traded young and extremely talented players (Lamar & Caron), broke up their successful young core, just to get a aging Shaq (18 ppg still & MVP candidate). And look at how Riley did Wade. Asked him to take pay cuts his whole career, Wade gets screwed by Lebron by opting out, and then Riley relays Wade by telling him take 10m or hit the road.

So yeah, there are some similarities with the two FO. But based on their competitive nature I don't think Magic & Rob would have given Kobe anything close to 48.5m and they definitely would not do MozDeng.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
This is one year anniversary. If you don't like it don't comment in this thread.

I'll comment on whatever I feel like, bud.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
32 wrote:

Whatever bud. Go ahead and continue to whine and complain about this thread if it makes you feel better.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
32 wrote:

Whatever bud. Go ahead and continue to whine and complain about this thread if it makes you feel better.

But he's allowed to post and make his thoughts known, "whine" or not.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
32 wrote:

Gentlemen...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
And look at how Riley did Wade. Asked him to take pay cuts his whole career, Wade gets screwed by Lebron by opting out, and then Riley relays Wade by telling him take 10m or hit the road.

So yeah, there are some similarities with the two FO. But based on their competitive nature I don't think Magic & Rob would have given Kobe anything close to 48.5m and they definitely would not do MozDeng.

I never understand the Kobe contract. However, it could have been amusing to see the apocalypse here if the Lakers had told Kobe "thanks but your services are no longer needed."
D. Sharp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
kwase wrote:
This FO is running circles around the previous one. Anybody who doesn't see that is just bias. In Magic we trust!

Exactly! Dealt an awful hand, yet in just a year:
- now have flexibility for the future (2 max)
- much better team (results speak for themselves)
- finally focusing on analytics
- doubling down on fitness
- caring about culture
- player development galore (see BI, Ingram, etc)
- nailing drafting
- winning trades
- becoming a place people want to play in (see PG)
- playing the game (finally skirting the rules on tampering)
- etc.

Yup. However, we need them to close this out. Having cap space is a means, not an end.

I do trust that even if they whiff on max FAs, they won't do a Moz/Deng franchise crippling desperation move. They've earned must trust on that end.

Definitely agree. You nailed it on the head - they’ve earned our trust. Now let’s sit back and see what happens.

I'm not panicking (though I'd be disappointed if we didn't get 2 or even 1 max). I think they'd thoughtfully pick out some good players to build around our young core. But i will not be happy if they merely punt 2 max to 2019. That would be a mistake IMO.

I would not be disappointed if the Lakers could not get the FA this summer as long as I see that they are making smart decision as a FO. I like how the FO has positioned ourselves to improve in more than just one way (ie FA, Trade, Draft and Cap flex). Unlike the old regime which was just positioned to hit the homerun IMO. But like yinoma said, I hope we can get that superstars this summer already we waited long enough

I don't understand how not getting an top FA wouldn't be a disappointment. Every move this FO has made so far has been predicated around the 2Max plan. Regardless of how they're doing it, the endgame is the same as the previously FO, to be positioned to hit the home run. Unlike the previous FO however, if they come up empty handed they not only would've struck out with FAs, but also would've lost multiple quality players in the process.

As others have stated, my grade is TBD until the offseason:

If at least 1 max comes, it was a success.
If no max comes, it was a huge disappointment.

I hope they succeed.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

No need to trash Mitch to build up Magilinka (leaving Jim out because he unanimously sucks). Mitch was here for 5 championships and made some horrible moves to end his tenure, but he did a lot of good when he was here and was always the consummate professional. Rob and Magic can still be great without needing to make Mitch look bad.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
No need to trash Mitch to build up Magilinka (leaving Jim out because he unanimously sucks). Mitch was here for 5 championships and made some horrible moves to end his tenure, but he did a lot of good when he was here and was always the consummate professional. Rob and Magic can still be great without needing to make Mitch look bad.

It's something that comes with fans though, strong emotions. Part of the whole reasons people root for sports in the first place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: