ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

I really feel bad that the Celts screwed him over and possibly 60-70m. He played hurt and the Celts probably knew it (they fired most if not all of their medical staff).
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
If our 2 max plan blows up this off season, would a viable alternative be to use the space to get defensive minded role players who would mask IT's defensive issues.

IT's offense seemed fine in the loss to the Mavs. We also know if he is healthy, surrounded by the right personnel and has the correct coach, he is a MVP level player.

So if we can't get superstars, would it be viable to do a 180 and look for role players instead. Role Players who can mask IT's defensive issues well enough that he becomes our superstar just like how he looked in Boston.

Im really hoping they do not plan to build this team around IT in any way. I think that could set us back 5-10 years. I dont understand why we would do this? We would be a 6th, 7th, or 8th seed forever with him. Boston was an exception not the rule imo. We dont have players like them (defensive minds, that cant score).

Boston hosed Cleveland imo. Kyrie is on a whole other planet.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
I get that he's a bad defender, and that he hasn't been healthy yet this year. But just for frame of reference, this was the LEAGUE MVP voting order last season:

1. Westbrook
2. Harden
3. Kawhi
4. LeBron
5. Thomas
6. Curry
7. Giannis
8. Wall
9. Davis
10. Durant

Thomas' rep was probably overinflated last year just like it's underrated this year. But just let the names after his on that list sink in.

5 teams in 7 years. There is a reason for that. I blasted Jim Buss for passing on him 4 times in the second round, but IT's huge ego coupled with being a HUGE defensive liability is the reason teams don't want him.

Stop it you know what teams he played for and Boston would have kept him if not for the injury and Kyrie Trade. It was reported that the vet who messed up the locker room was Wade not IT
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

IT is terrible. Never seen anything like him on defense. We are screwed if he gets minutes. He will destroy all that we have worked to build on D this season. He is a secret stealth weapon against the Lakers courtesy of the Celtics.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I really feel bad that the Celts screwed him over and possibly 60-70m. He played hurt and the Celts probably knew it (they fired most if not all of their medical staff).

They knew he was hurt but they wanted wins. They didn't force him he did it on his own.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Bol wrote:
People getting attached to this guy are setting themselves up for disappointment. He doesn't fit at all with the ball movement + defense philosophy the organization is pushing. Again, there's a reason why Magic and Rob talked so much about the flexibility the trade brought and hardly talked at all about what IT could do.

They don't have to mention him they could have sent him home but instead he's playing because they want to take a look at him. Sure Lebron is the target but if he doesn't come they will at least give IT an one year deal as long as he's not a disaster. To be honest I would like to keep him if he can avg 25ppg and we can win some games. I think having an Allstar already in place helps with getting PG to come.

Nobody really wants to play with IT imo. If he can lead us to the playoffs I think PG can look at that and say: If this guy can lead us to the playoffs he can. That is best case scenerio. I think we would have to promise George that he would be gone after next season. Its a dangerous game imo. I understand though, you only have so many options.

Based on what? Two off seasons in a row the Celtics got top freeagents and Durant even listened to their pitch. Stop the nonsense
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
IT is terrible. Never seen anything like him on defense. We are screwed if he gets minutes. He will destroy all that we have worked to build on D this season. He is a secret stealth weapon against the Lakers courtesy of the Celtics.

Of course but players rely on their training staff/medical team too.

Reminds me of how LT's character was treated on Any Given Sunday.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

"I was talking to somebody yesterday close to Isaiah, and they said, 'Isaiah Thomas has absolutely no love at all for LeBron... He felt like LeBron talked down to him when he was there." — @Chris_Broussard

https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/963453981673443330
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
"I was talking to somebody yesterday close to Isaiah, and they said, 'Isaiah Thomas has absolutely no love at all for LeBron... He felt like LeBron talked down to him when he was there." — @Chris_Broussard

LBJ is a foot taller - of course he talked down to him. Probably talked over his head too.

#SAUCES
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:

oh my gosh, Chris Broussard is so horrible. can't listen to that guy
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I can (still) get wherever I want on the floor,” he said

LINK

IT is not 100% yet, but in our uptempo offense, his ability to breakdown defenses can be key at the end of games (once he learns the offense). I could see him getting other players high percentage looks with his passing ability. IIRC Randle got an easy 4th quarter layup, for example.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

There's no doubt our offense gets better with IT but will his atrocious defensive liability offset that? This will be a big test for Luke. Can he come up with a scheme like Stevens did to help mask some of IT's defensive short comings? If he can then we can really reel off some wins and look good doing it.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

I see a disaster when you need stops eog
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
There's no doubt our offense gets better with IT but will his atrocious defensive liability offset that? This will be a big test for Luke. Can he come up with a scheme like Stevens did to help mask some of IT's defensive short comings? If he can then we can really reel off some wins and look good doing it.

An unfair test for Luke. Just when he got our D back together after losing Lonzo he now has to use his magic wand to somehow scheme to hide IT on the defensive end. IMO this will be painful. IT is bad, very very bad on D. Not sure if we will be able to overcome this. I hope they just bench him most of the time until his contract expires.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

An unfair test for Luke. Just when he got our D back together after losing Lonzo he now has to use his magic wand to somehow scheme to hide IT on the defensive end. IMO this will be painful. IT is bad, very very bad on D. Not sure if we will be able to overcome this. I hope they just bench him most of the time until his contract expires.

Unfair

This is what being an NBA coach is. You have to adjust and adapt to your personnel. These types of trades happen often and if you can't adjust then you just aren't that good of a coach. Brad Stevens was able to still have a top defense with IT.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Won't happen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

Needs to play JC-level minutes and role. Bench scorer.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Unfair

This is what being an NBA coach is. You have to adjust and adapt to your personnel. These types of trades happen often and if you can't adjust then you just aren't that good of a coach. Brad Stevens was able to still have a top defense with IT.

Nothing Unfair. He signed up to be the coach of one of the worst teams in the league. If Luke wanted things to be less "Unfair" he could have stayed at Golden State and have Kerr break clipboards in front of his face, have Draymond talk crap to him because that's what Dray does to everyone, have Curry take circus shots while Luke tries to talk to him, continuously asking Klay to put down his phone for a second instead of DM IG models, and deal with whatever bullcrap Durant and his agent can conjure up just because they are bored (see James Worthy incident, burner account, etc). Now that sounds more "Fair".
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Unfair

Facts but listen to Lakers fans and they'll have you believing it's impossible
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Unfair

The defensive splits with IT on and off the floor for the Celts paint a depressing picture. Top D with him off the floor, not so great when he was on the floor. There is no way around it, IT is not salvageable. Why do you think that the Celts got rid of him so quickly?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

The guys is our best offensive player bar none. Its not even close his whole career he's been a top 10 offensive player.

"Cavs rarely had Isaiah Thomas shoot off screens (only 7 attempts this season). IT was excellent at that last year and buried his first shot as a Laker off a screen from Lopez." - Joey Ramirez

The Cavs are the ones who set him up to fail and then talked (bleep) about him as he left

Tyronn Lou never even tried to run the plays he was the most effective at, it was never going to work that way. Luke in one game has already set up Isaiah to succeed. Now its on Isaiah to show he's still the same player he was in Boston

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Unfair

Facts but listen to Lakers fans and they'll have you believing it's impossible

It was miscommunication with Hart & Randle that cause the Mavs to have a dunk competition on us. They've even admitted to it. Yet it was IT's fault we made no namers look like Vince Carter Circa 2000.

Is IT the worst defender in the league? Yes. Can he take sole blame defensively for the Mavs loss? Nope.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Unfair

The defensive splits with IT on and off the floor for the Celts paint a depressing picture. Top D with him off the floor, not so great when he was on the floor. There is no way around it, IT is not salvageable. Why do you think that the Celts got rid of him so quickly?

Because he was injured and hitting free agency. He played 30 mpg was their best player and they went to the conference finals and he was one of the top MVP vote getters. They didn't trade him because they didn't want him they had an opportunity to get Kyrie and it makes sense to me.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

IT has Mamba Blood
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Unfair

THIS
"NAIL ON THE HEAD"

That's is exactly what a coach is supposed to do. "Put a player in the best position to be successful" You learn their weakness and strengths and you tailor your play calling in a way to ensure their weakness doesn’t hurt the team, and that his strength is utilize to the fullest.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 32 of 102
Jump to: