The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1333, 1334, 1335 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

Assuming we don't sign Lebron and in the event Dallas signs Randle to an offer sheet of about $15m and above, we should be looking at centers who rebound, paint protect and finish well around the basket. Ed Davis and Alex Len are top 10 rebounds per 48 mins. An ability to space the floor is a bonus.

Here are some FA centers I would consider for about $7-8m per year:

Ed Davis (Age 28)
Alex Len (24)
Dewayne Dedmon (28)
Kyle O'Quinn (27)
Brook Lopez (29)
Kevon Looney (21)

If we can sign PG13 for about $30m and a backup PG for about $7-8m (Fred Vanvleet?) and use a draft pick or two to trade Deng's contract going into the 2019 season, that frees up over $30m to go after Kawhi.

I like a 2019-20 roster of

C - Len, Zubac, Bryant
F - Kawhi, Kuzma
F - Ingram, 2018 1st rd pick
G - PG13, Josh Hart, 2018 2nd rd pick
G - Ball, Vanvleet, Carusso

I think this team can potentially beat the Warriors in 2020!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject:

How about we don't be stupid cheap idiots and actually re-sign the 23 year old that can defend all 5 positions and is a 20/10/4 guy in essentially his 3rd season.

Cool? Cool.

Ya'll want to max out other guys that AREN'T on the team, but are scared to pay the one that's already on the team with whom you have Bird's Rights too. Doesn't make any sense.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
Assuming we don't sign Lebron and in the event Dallas signs Randle to an offer sheet of about $15m and above, we should be looking at centers who rebound, paint protect and finish well around the basket. Ed Davis and Alex Len are top 10 rebounds per 48 mins. An ability to space the floor is a bonus.

Ed Davis (Age 28)
Alex Len (24)
Dewayne Dedmon (28)
Kyle O'Quinn (27)
Brook Lopez (29)
Kevon Looney (21)

If we can sign PG13 for about $30m and a backup PG for about $7-8m (Fred Vanvleet?) and use a draft pick or two to trade Deng's contract going into the 2019 season, that frees up over $30m to go after Kawhi.

C - Len, Zubac, Bryant
F - Kawhi, Kuzma

Are you kidding me?? Alex Len or Ed Davis, Starting Centers!! Give me a break and letting go Randle for a Kawhi Pipe Dream!!
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject:

We'd all be foaming at the mouth to max out Randle if he were on the Bobcats or some obscure team where no one ever actually saw him play and just marveled at his numbers and per 36 from afar. But since he's a Laker, let's just replace him with Bobby Portis or something. Same difference anyway.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Lakers don't need two max guys, they need PG and Randle and a defensive center, than a couple low level role guys on the bench.

Randle has been better every year in the NBA and after years of development to lose him for nothing when he's starting to bear fruit would be insane. That is not how you build a team. He's only 23 and works hard, no reason to think he can't refine his game more. Ingram, Kuz and him means you're set at the forward position.

Is that we traded DLO, JC, Nance? To re-up Jules?

There are ways to keep him as part of our long term plans (which I am 100% for).

Yin, if we manage to convince Jules (maybe and Lopez too) to take QO, $5mil each? For a big payday 2019. Sign our 2 max. Do we have to stretch/trade Deng or can we leave him alone? What is the $ cap space situation like in 2019?

No chance no way no how he's taking the QO. No way.

Yeah doubt that he's taking the QO. He's at "worst" getting 12m IMO (maybe higher depending on who wants to frack the Lakers 2018 2 max plan).

I think teams will be weary to pay players this offseason. The Lou Will deal sort of set the market. Salary cap and FRPs are the 2018 craze.
Dallas is probably the biggest threat to sign Jules. They will have a high lottery pick this year. If they get a big in the draft, they may be more hesitant to offer Randle big money especially since they already have Barnes playing the 4.

I think Carlisle/Mavs FO like having a traditional center, so I don't see them spending 20m to sign Jules to play small ball center. And as you said, Barnes is already highly paid to play PF. They also traded for McDermott and would have to renounce him and 3-4 other FAs to even have the requisite cap space to sign Jules to 15m let alone 20m.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
How about we don't be stupid cheap idiots and actually re-sign the 23 year old that can defend all 5 positions and is a 20/10/4 guy in essentially his 3rd season.

Cool? Cool.

Ya'll want to max out other guys that AREN'T on the team, but are scared to pay the one that's already on the team with whom you have Bird's Rights too. Doesn't make any sense.

I approve of the length of this post.
JuliusRandall
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Cool? Cool.

This is the right move. We have to resign Randle. I hope the FO understands this.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

JuliusRandall wrote:
MJST wrote:

Cool? Cool.

This is the right move. We have to resign Randle. I hope the FO understands this.

Not sure why he's up at arms about it though. Clearly they kept Jules to have his RFA rights. If we get 2 max, will have to trade Deng to keep Jules; if we get 1 max, I'm fairly certain Jules is in the plan.

Lakers haven't renounced/traded away Jules yet so why are we up in arms about it?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JuliusRandall wrote:
MJST wrote:

Cool? Cool.

Not sure why he's up at arms about it though. Clearly they kept Jules to have his RFA rights. If we get 2 max, will have to trade Deng to keep Jules; if we get 1 max, I'm fairly certain Jules is in the plan.

Lakers haven't renounced/traded away Jules yet so why are we up in arms about it?

Here's my view, if we do get 2 max... trade Deng to keep Jules, try to get 2nd rd pick back for the 1st rd picks we gonna lose. I mean they would be pick 25-30 with the 2 max
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
We'd all be foaming at the mouth to max out Randle if he were on the Bobcats or some obscure team where no one ever actually saw him play and just marveled at his numbers and per 36 from afar. But since he's a Laker, let's just replace him with Bobby Portis or something. Same difference anyway.

Julius doesn't space the floor or protect the rim. He needs to play with a unicorn big to be most effective. So when building a team, the unicorn big would take precedence over Randle, as would a primary creator and possibly a top 3&D guard/wing.

On a top team, I can't see Julius being better than the fourth most valuable player on the roster even if he uses possessions like a secondary option. I don't think giving max money to at best the fourth most valuable option on a good team would be wise asset management unless somehow the team's more impactful players are all on below market contracts.

So I would not be clamoring to max out Randle or any player of his ilk - Blake Griffin is grossly overpaid and Aaron Gordon is about to be - because he wouldn't be able to live up to that contract barring a sea change in his perimeter game. I don't want him gone. I certainly don't want him to walk this summer. But I also don't want to get disgusted at him in future seasons for making near max money when he'll never have that kind of impact.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

Ed Davis (Age 28)
Alex Len (24)
Dewayne Dedmon (28)
Kyle O'Quinn (27)
Brook Lopez (29)
Kevon Looney (21)

C - Len, Zubac, Bryant
F - Kawhi, Kuzma

Are you kidding me?? Alex Len or Ed Davis, Starting Centers!! Give me a break and letting go Randle for a Kawhi Pipe Dream!!

Like I said, that is contingent on Randle signing for over $15m/year. The higher he signs, the more he kills our ability to sign another max player in 2019 (assuming we only sign one in 2018). This may be just speculation on my part but I would imagine that is the direction Magic and Pelinka are going.

If we sign Randle for under $15m, I think we can still go out and get another max guy in 2019 if we are able to dump Deng with a pick or two.

Given the rumors coming out of San Antonio, I think Kawhi is a true possibility.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

As I said in my previous post, if Randle signs an offer sheet that overpays him, yet we somehow manage to lure Paul George, I think our next best move is to get a shot blocking and rebounding big.

Either sign the guys listed below to a large one year deal or to multi-year deal in the 7-8 million dollar range:

Ed Davis (Age 28)
Alex Len (24)
Dewayne Dedmon (28)
Kyle O'Quinn (27)
Brook Lopez (29)
Kevon Looney (21)

Ed Davis and Alex Len are two of the best rebounding bigs at the moment and I think they can be had for cheap.

If you surround them with enough scoring in Kuzma, PG13 and Ingram, I think we are in good enough shape without Randle.

My preference however is to keep Randle in the $12-13m range, which I think is doable. In that case we may need a floor spacing big like Brook Lopez to stick around for another season.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

Randle is a keeper, his play this year, his patience and leadership he is showing out there have earned him a stop on the future of this team and the money he deserves.

Can the Lakers have a deal for him in place that takes them over the cap if they wait to sign him after they get their 2 max players?
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

We shall see about Bron/PG-13, but if need be will the lakers be patient enough to wait until 19'/20' for a possibility at bringing in the Greek Freak and Kawhi? By 20' Ball/BI/Randle/Kuz will just be blossoming.....
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

I'm sure the Lakers have an interest in bringing Jules back, but it really depends on the price point....randle is a good player, he is not nor do I think he ever will be an elite player....and it seems pretty clear the lakers have prioritized going after elite players, which means for the young guys only those they deem to have elite player potential or affordable role player potential are going to be kept....if you are in the middle my guess is you are on the move
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

Randle has greatly improved, especially defensively; but I still don't think he is a max contract player.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Randle should be kept if we only have 1 max guy. If we can get Lebron and Julius is in the way of that then it is what it is. No matter how many times MJST writes an 18 paragraph soliloquy it doesnt change the fact that you just don't pass up on Lebron while he's still in his prime (even tail end). Sheeet even post prime Bron is better than Randle's ceiling and that's not a diss. Bron's that great

If only PG wants to sign here then I am more than happy giving Randle a 4 year $50-60 million deal.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JuliusRandall wrote:
MJST wrote:

Cool? Cool.

I'm not so sure about that. If we only get George this offseason, the Lakers will want to have the flexibility to sign another max guy in 2019. In the press conference after the trade deadline, Magic said that the 2 max plan extends beyond 2018.

We have given up a lot of assets to get the flexibility to sign 2 max guys. I don't think the Lakers will forfeit that flexibility just to extend Randle, especially since the guys we are targeting are forwards, and we already have a nice PF prospect on a great deal (Kuzma).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JuliusRandall wrote:
MJST wrote:

Cool? Cool.

I'm not so sure about that. If we only get George this offseason, the Lakers will want to have the flexibility to sign another max guy in 2019. In the press conference after the trade deadline, Magic said that the 2 max plan extends beyond 2018.

We have given up a lot of assets to get the flexibility to sign 2 max guys. I don't think the Lakers will forfeit that flexibility just to extend Randle, especially since the guys we are targeting are forwards, and we already have a nice PF prospect on a great deal (Kuzma).

But you're not providing enough nuance. What if we keep him at 12-13m/year. That doesn't kill the 2019 1 max with Deng being more moveable at that point. Love Kuz, but he doesn't offer the same level of rebounding/defense that Jules does. Together they're a nice PF tandem.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JuliusRandall wrote:
MJST wrote:

Cool? Cool.

But you're not providing enough nuance. What if we keep him at 12-13m/year. That doesn't kill the 2019 1 max with Deng being more moveable at that point. Love Kuz, but he doesn't offer the same level of rebounding/defense that Jules does. Together they're a nice PF tandem.
If they can extend him while maintaining the max slot, then sure. It ultimately comes down to Randle's market value.

As far as Kuz goes, he's a rookie. I imagine the Lakers are very high on him going forward, and see him as a high quality starter in the future. And he fits in with basically any center, whereas Randle requires a center that can shoot threes.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dao wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JuliusRandall wrote:
MJST wrote:

Cool? Cool.

If they can extend him while maintaining the max slot, then sure. It ultimately comes down to Randle's market value.

As far as Kuz goes, he's a rookie. I imagine the Lakers are very high on him going forward, and see him as a high quality starter in the future. And he fits in with basically any center, whereas Randle requires a center that can shoot threes.
Resigning Randle to a reasonable deal does not necessarily hamper their flexibility. He could be traded midseason for one of those disgruntled starts, he could be traded for an expiring, he could be used in a sign and trade in the offseason, and worse case he could be dumped to a team that has space and a desire for him. If he continues to improve, and/or the free agent market this year is as poor as some people think, Randle on a long term deal could easily be an asset moving forward. There will be a team or two, who either don’t have the space this year or don’t want to drive up the cost trying to play the RFA game, that would have interest in Randle moving forward.

Like look at Dallas, pretty much the only team people are worried about driving Randle’s price up. They could be value him highly at 15mil, but the cost it’d take for the Lakers to let him go is just too high. So instead of trying to buy Randle with a $20mil+ offer this offseason, they can take on expiring salaries for some picks(from around the league), tank next season and come out in 2019 with capspace, and another great young player or two. They can then so graciously take Randle off our hands for the 13mil or whatever he signs for this season. They could even try and go after some max FA’s first, and if they lose out to the Lakers then take on Randle at a cheaper price than if they bought him outright.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:

I think so long as it is fair market value you sign him either way. You can always trade him later so long as you don't overpay. No sense in letting assets go though either way in the mere hopes someone will take your money. They've had max money for years now and the only reasonable taker they found for it was Lou Williams. Randle has been an efficient 17/9/3 player since moving into the starting lineup. You keep him as an asset and then re-evaluate as necessary. You can always use Randle to trade for a max player later, move other guys, etc. But you don't want to lose an asset for nothing.

dao wrote:

He's a rookie, and a good one. Being on a rookie scale contract makes him pretty valuable for the next few years. But in terms of upside, he's only 8 months younger than Randle. I'm not sure if he's any better as a prospect. He's certainly not better right now. And you also miss out on the point that Randle has been effective at center this season (+4.4 PER at center, +4.5 at PF). Kuzma has not been effective at small forward or center (-31.5 PER at SF, -21 PER at center, -0.4 PER at PF). Being able to play multiple positions is certainly a plus. I'm not saying any of that to badmouth Kuzma, I like him a lot. But the notion that Kuzma is our PF of the future and Randle has no future with the club doesn't seem to make much sense to me. The only real argument for that is him being on a rookie scale contract.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I think Kuzma at best could be a very solid 2nd option offensively on a championship team.

But the other reality is that Kuzma may wind up being a SF/PF version of Clarkson. Which again, isn't a bad thing.

It's all bout expectation and expected role going forward.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

There is a limit to how much we can sign Randle for if we want to sign PG this summer and Kawhi/Jimmy/Klay in 2019.

I ran the numbers with a bunch of assumptions including Deng being traded with nothing coming back in the summer of 2019 when it should be easier. Basically, Randle for anything less than 18 mill should work or would be close enough that it shouldn't be a major issue.

But what happens if you can get Randle+IT for 18 mill, maybe pipe but that would be great. Or IT+Noel. These are options that management will be considering instead of just bringing back Randle. If you can get multiple guys for the same price as Randle... Hmmm. This coming from a huge Randle fan.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Cool? Cool.

I approve of the length of this post.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1333, 1334, 1335 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1334 of 1536
Jump to: