Unpopular / Un-PC opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16756

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.


I think that's the PC opinion. The un-PC opinion is that it's not just white people.


Dude get out of my brain, I was going to write that, wtf.


As a honk, I'll posit that some majority of whites (especially men) act like Dawg's position is the un-PC one. They cry and whine and stomp their feet when they see/hear some person of color making some assessment of the level of racism inherent in larger white America. They act that way even when the POC says it's residual or subconscious racism and not as blatantly overt as it was in the 60s South.

White folk have more than their fair share of racist or bigoted attitudes, trust. Their unwillingness to concede or even accept that the other side's POV has merit blocks dialogue and not just understanding, but empathy and feelings of shared community. Too often, they take the claim as an accusation, and even a personal one in many cases. They try the standard tricks to prove they're not the LEAST bit racist (hence the "I have black friends!" meme which African-Americans find especially amusing) and they seem to think that even admitting that there are a lot of racist/bigoted/xenophobic/stereotypical views shared by many whites implies that POCs are saying that whites are completely beyond salvage.

Terms like "identity politics" deny that whites and African-Americans are part of a shared national/historical CULTURE. AAs have their own racial identity and culture as well, which is a hard thing for some whites to get thru their domes, especially during Black History Month. They also act like POCs wouldn't also admit that a lot of POCs are bigoted/xenophobic/racist too (the colloquial, non-academia definition of the r-word; i.e. not "institutional racism"). I think such admissions would be easier if both whites and AAs and other POCs were freer in fessing up to their attitudes, but I ain't holdin my breath. It's hard enough getting people to admit that they MIGHT be wrong in any way. Frank discussions of race where both sides are willing to forgive and be empathetic to each other are tough. The subject makes people highly defensive. I gotta say that this seems especially true of other whites. I see it in my own race. Given what's goin on in Amurica lately, it's not really that difficult to notice. You would THINK. However, a lot of white America couldn't handle Obama while we got this circus clown in there who the same people love.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 3287
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
PC: Official Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial | Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Un-PC: What Martin Luther King Actually Thought About Car Commercials


Using MLK to sell that junk was beyond repulsive.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 20736

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Christopher C wrote:
PC: Official Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial | Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Un-PC: What Martin Luther King Actually Thought About Car Commercials


Using MLK to sell that junk was beyond repulsive.


When i first saw the ad, I felt the same way. But then I asked myself, why I felt that way.

Whatís the difference, ultimately, between using MLK vs any other social or political movement to sell your product?

Lyft did it. KFC recently. GE. Nike does it all the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Christopher C wrote:
PC: Official Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial | Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Un-PC: What Martin Luther King Actually Thought About Car Commercials

Using MLK to sell that junk was beyond repulsive.

When i first saw the ad, I felt the same way. But then I asked myself, why I felt that way.

Whatís the difference, ultimately, between using MLK vs any other social or political movement to sell your product?

Lyft did it. KFC recently. GE. Nike does it all the time.

Dr. Harry Edwards: Itís Despicable for Dodge to Use MLKís Words to Peddle Trucks During Super Bowl
Democracy Now! | Feb 5, 2018
Quote:
For more on the controversy and the history of racial justice protests in professional sports, we speak with Dr. Harry Edwards, professor emeritus of sociology at the University of California, Berkeley.

YouTube
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Dec 2002
Posts: 5277
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

We got a 2 minute long commercial featuring people born without limbs from Toyota.... There's nothing off limits anymore apparently. I don't want to sound like an unsympathetic a-hole... But come on now.
_________________
"Be the person you needed when you were younger..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 81249
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Christopher C wrote:
PC: Official Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial | Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Un-PC: What Martin Luther King Actually Thought About Car Commercials


Using MLK to sell that junk was beyond repulsive.


When i first saw the ad, I felt the same way. But then I asked myself, what would the contrary position be?


Fify
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2005
Posts: 7951
Location: Curitiba, Brasil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject:

Unpopular opinion: LaVar Ball's idea of a league to compete with the NCAA is a great idea, and could really work if he's going to pay the players ok money.
_________________
www.lakersbrasil.com
Fan site made by me and others, dedicated to posting Laker news and articles in portuguese.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 16766
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Unpopular opinion: LaVar Ball's idea of a league to compete with the NCAA is a great idea, and could really work if he's going to pay the players ok money.


I hope the league is a huge success. Screw the NCAA.
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 4001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.


Race is the ultimate inconvenient truth for the majority. The Original Sin thatís taboo for some to talk about. Completely agree w CDís take. For years, they tried to avoid talking about and whine racism was solved in 60s lol. Trump era has finally made some open their eyes.

Having worked in hyper-white male work environments (e.g. being the only POC in 50-70 staff offices), itís amazing to see how out of touch and honestly, lack of care many of these majority have. The bubble is real. They are more concerned with Cecil the tiger than 12 yr old Tamir Rice being shot by cops. Amazing. Best part is the coded words, and how clever they think they are with the veiled racism... rise of dog whistle politics of current regime is giving this group a voice.
_________________
Alltime lineup: Magic | Kobe | MJ | Hakeem | KAJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakesGnrLake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 641

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.


Race is the ultimate inconvenient truth for the majority. The Original Sin thatís taboo for some to talk about. Completely agree w CDís take. For years, they tried to avoid talking about and whine racism was solved in 60s lol. Trump era has finally made some open their eyes.

Having worked in hyper-white male work environments (e.g. being the only POC in 50-70 staff offices), itís amazing to see how out of touch and honestly, lack of care many of these majority have. The bubble is real. They are more concerned with Cecil the tiger than 12 yr old Tamir Rice being shot by cops. Amazing. Best part is the coded words, and how clever they think they are with the veiled racism... rise of dog whistle politics of current regime is giving this group a voice.


If youve been around different groups long enough you'll find out there are parts of groups that just dont like anyone. Ive heard black people saying racists things to mexicans, asians hating on blacks, mexicans talking about whites, whites talking about everyone. To make racism seem like it only comes from certain groups is hilarious. Everything is about race nowadays its insane, even gotten to the point where if you say you dont care about race makes you a racist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 20736

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject:

And to think these bigots try to hide behind activities like yoga.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-yoga-american-white-supremacy-michigan-state-university-shreena-gandhi-racism-professor-a8185206.html

Yeah, we see right through your downward dog, you racist yogis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Blargg
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject:

"Reverse racism" and "reverse gender discrimination" are stupid terms that shouldn't exist. You can be racist/sexist no matter what your ethnicity/gender is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 6292

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

Literally no one is making the following point - "only white people are racist." If you are arguing against that imaginary point, you need to listen and learn more, and talk less.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 2298

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
Literally no one is making the following point - "only white people are racist." If you are arguing against that imaginary point, you need to listen and learn more, and talk less.
its called a deflection tactic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 81249
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
America and more specifically,white americans, no matter thier political affiliation are actually pretty ok with racism. When confronted with this they will no doubt twist themselves up in all sorts of pretzels to tell you otherwise.
However, thier ignorance (sometimes gleeful) and apathy towards becoming more knowledgeable gives away thier true feelings.


Race is the ultimate inconvenient truth for the majority. The Original Sin thatís taboo for some to talk about. Completely agree w CDís take. For years, they tried to avoid talking about and whine racism was solved in 60s lol. Trump era has finally made some open their eyes.

Having worked in hyper-white male work environments (e.g. being the only POC in 50-70 staff offices), itís amazing to see how out of touch and honestly, lack of care many of these majority have. The bubble is real. They are more concerned with Cecil the tiger than 12 yr old Tamir Rice being shot by cops. Amazing. Best part is the coded words, and how clever they think they are with the veiled racism... rise of dog whistle politics of current regime is giving this group a voice.


If youve been around different groups long enough you'll find out there are parts of groups that just dont like anyone. Ive heard black people saying racists things to mexicans, asians hating on blacks, mexicans talking about whites, whites talking about everyone. To make racism seem like it only comes from certain groups is hilarious. Everything is about race nowadays its insane, even gotten to the point where if you say you dont care about race makes you a racist.


Yeah, when will the blacks and Latinos and gays and women take their boot off the neck of the poor white straight male?
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jun 2016
Posts: 1198
Location: Babylon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

someone i know looped me into a group text and sent a screenshot with the following opinions:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.
The world is not flat.
Vaccines can't cause autism.
Islam is not a religion of peace.
Black people can be racist.
The gender pay gap is false.
The Racial pay gap is false.
The Russians didn't hack the election.
Islam is not a race.
Sharia law would bring more oppression.
Men aren't the only ones that r@pe.
Slavery wasn't invented by white people.
Pepe the frog isn't a hate symbol, just a meme.
White privilege isn't real.
Wealth privilege is real.
Racial preference is not racist.
A gender studies degree won't even get you in a McDonald's.
Protesting a democratic election will get tiring after a while.
Misandry and Misogyny are the same thing.
Reverse racism isn't real, that's because it's just racism.


i imagine this is the type of bull that gets floated around on twitter to get reactions out of people. not subtle smh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 3287
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/fat-activist-1.4546947
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 16766
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Jaden's a better rapper than his dad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmc8q2dcIMs
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 40351
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
someone i know looped me into a group text and sent a screenshot with the following opinions:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.


If someone doesn't know the difference between "there is" and "there are", they shouldn't be commenting on how many of anything there may be.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 2852
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
someone i know looped me into a group text and sent a screenshot with the following opinions:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.


If someone doesn't know the difference between "there is" and "there are", they shouldn't be commenting on how many of anything there may be.


Mr. Grammar Police don't you know grammar ain't taught no more in the US schools
https://ttlearning.com/blog/why-dont-us-schools-teach-grammar/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16756

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
someone i know looped me into a group text and sent a screenshot with the following opinions:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.


If someone doesn't know the difference between "there is" and "there are", they shouldn't be commenting on how many of anything there may be.


Mr. Grammar Police don't you know grammar ain't taught no more in the US schools
https://ttlearning.com/blog/why-dont-us-schools-teach-grammar/


They teach grammer these days. E... Then they take a trip to the libarry.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB