OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 873, 874, 875 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

HellCrowe wrote:
First let me say that I love Lonzo as our PG. A guy that quickly changed the pace and passing of our team. However, papa Ball maybe a BIGGER problem come next year. While I believe he is going to be a star, I am a Lakers fan first and he may ultimately not be worth the headache and I don’t think we can wait for him to start being his own man. He is part of the Lakers organization and while we like his “let my play do the talking” attitude, he has not once backed up the organization from what his dad has said. Maybe it’s his age, maybe he sucks at conveying what he really wants, maybe his dad is actually speaking what Lonzo actually feels.

With that said, I am all for trading Lonzo, a potential “transcendent Star” for a big time All-Star. We have seen B.I. At point guard and folks, it has been working. 6’9” PG that does everything better than Lonzo at this point, minus the wow passing. His passing may not ever rival Lonzo’s but he has learned to make the right play with simple passes that have gotten his teammates involved, consistent all around stats, and most importantly WINS!

We all know B.I. needs to gain weight, but as the main ball handler at pG he will be able to work towards his full body potential at his own pace and stilll be more of a mismatch on the floor than Lonzo.. We have seen a small but worthy sample size and with all of this crap with Lonzo, I have been changing my tune.

BBB can and I believe will be very toxic in the locker room and the only person that can change that is Lonzo. Will FA and players want to line up for that drama? Yes we get attention, positive and negative from having Lonzo but all in all, will it be worth it? Man up Lonzo! Dude is that frustrating. Even more so than D-LO’s child acts. While all the kids are having fun now, that can change really quick. A few wrong words and it will be disastrous to the team.

This is where I think IT can mentor Lonzo. He can teach Zo how to score despite being mismatched. He is also very outspoken guy and can show Zo on how to be his own man.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Has anyone asked Lonzo or the front office about Lavar's recent comments? They need to be addressed, IMO, not ignored. And if no one has asked yet, what crazy conditions are the Lakers putting on journalists?
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Papa Ball doesn't matter. Really at all. Magic & Rob if anything should continue to ignore him.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania 30m30 minutes ago

Sacramento rookie De'Aaron Fox has replaced Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball in the Rising Stars game at All-Star Weekend.

Congrats Foxy.
Time for BI and Kuz to freeze out Fox? LOL.

Last edited by epak on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
Has anyone asked Lonzo or the front office about Lavar's recent comments? They need to be addressed, IMO, not ignored. And if no one has asked yet, what crazy conditions are the Lakers putting on journalists?

Chris Mannix asked Luke who gave what seems to me to be the perfect answer:
“It’s not our job of professional teams to respond to what parents have to say...if comments affect Lonzo then we need to have a conversation, but if it doesn’t bother him then we don’t need to have any conversation.”
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

I still am team Lonzo.

But would you have done a #5/10 for #2 if that deal was on the table?
GoldenThroat

mookielala wrote:

Why do they need to be addressed?

No conditions are put on anyone, fwiw.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

markjay wrote:
mookielala wrote:

Chris Mannix asked Luke who gave what seems to me to be the perfect answer:
“It’s not our job of professional teams to respond to what parents have to say...if comments affect Lonzo then we need to have a conversation, but if it doesn’t bother him then we don’t need to have any conversation.”

Thanks.

I don't think that is the right answer or the right person to respond, but at least someone is asking. I hope Magic or Lonzo definitively shuts this down.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still am team Lonzo.

Dont give me this 20/20 hindsight question!
You know we would take Lauri and Don at #5/#10 over Lonzo #2.
But w/o 20/20, I take Lonzo #2. He's still gonna be nice.

Last edited by epak on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Papa Ball doesn't matter. Really at all. Magic & Rob if anything should continue to ignore him.

That’s not that simple as you make it. Papa ball once said Look at the players UCLA has (referring to white players). I’m dreading the day that will happen when he criticizes any of our players. Ignore him all you want but the fact is, Lonzo needs to represent the Lakers organization. Not just all up in his head.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli 9m9 minutes ago

Lonzo says he feels good enough to play but they’re going to wait until after Rising Stars, which he won’t play in. Target is first game back from the break vs Dallas.

My job has bought some seats in the nose bleeds for the Dallas game, but Im holding off until I know hes playing.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli 9m9 minutes ago

Lonzo says he feels good enough to play but they’re going to wait until after Rising Stars, which he won’t play in. Target is first game back from the break vs Dallas.

My job has bought some seats in the nose bleeds for the Dallas game, but Im holding off until I know hes playing.

C'mon.
It's still a Lakers game. Gotta go.
Hopefully a win.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

Thanks for the insight, GT.

They need to be addressed, IMO, because Lonzo is our starting point guard and the presumed future of the franchise. His answer on Luke last month was terrible and, frankly, just weird. He's supposed to be a leader on the team and he gave Luke no support when Lavar attacked him from the outside -- "I can play fro anybody" or something to that effect. I think it would make anyone wonder if Lavar is speaking for Lonzo. Similarly, here, a "no comment" would make anyone wonder if if Lonzo is fine with Lavar's plans, which are nuts. How are players and the organization supposed to have confidence in the team when everyone is tip-toeing and looking the other way with "no comments?" It doesn't seem healthy, it's a kind of denial.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still am team Lonzo.

heck no. If we assume at worst he never gets any better and plays the way he did right before he got hurt he is still a legit triple dub threat and a high iq basketball player. At his best he has legit superstar potential and might be averaging close to 18/10/10
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:

Why do they need to be addressed publicly? Doesn't that just give more credibility and weight to everything he says? They should deal with things like that behind closed doors.

Don't take the bait.
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still am team Lonzo.

I am team Lonzo, get grown! My team is the Lakers.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

I don't see Lonzo going anywhere. Even with Lavar and his stupid mouth. I wouldn't even care about Lavar if Lonzo wasn't a Laker. And let's not kid ourselves. If Lebron said get rid of Zo for a disgruntled All-Star next season, guess who will be on the Pelicans?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yeah epak....you know how I always post that hate filled content about Lonzo....

still waiting on someone to show me an example so I can tone down the hate in my Lonzo posts

Yea, you're a mystery.
I'm not sure if you have a low key hate for him or not.
Or perhaps, being JC's cousin, there's some animosity due to lack of minutes for JC early on? (JK )
But you sure seem reluctant to give Lonzo props. And to those that see the "goods" that Lonzo brings, it can come off as hate.

no, no, no....after what is said on this board about DLo, JC, Randle and others....there can be no interpretation of my rare comments related to Lonzo as hate. I do not recall saying anything "mean spirited" about him, especially after he was drafted. In game threads, I have probably a 10 to 1 ratio of compliments to criticisms of him. Just not as confident in him as most of LG.....that's it. I truly hope he develops into an All Star, HOF'er or whatever....but my current perception of him and my projection of him as a player is simply less than that in which the majority of LG holds. There is nothing hateful about it. I really dislike his father....but I do not even "hate" him.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yeah epak....you know how I always post that hate filled content about Lonzo....

still waiting on someone to show me an example so I can tone down the hate in my Lonzo posts

Yea, you're a mystery.
I'm not sure if you have a low key hate for him or not.
Or perhaps, being JC's cousin, there's some animosity due to lack of minutes for JC early on? (JK )
But you sure seem reluctant to give Lonzo props. And to those that see the "goods" that Lonzo brings, it can come off as hate.

no, no, no....after what is said on this board about DLo, JC, Randle and others....there can be no interpretation of my rare comments related to Lonzo as hate. I do not recall saying anything "mean spirited" about him, especially after he was drafted. In game threads, I have probably a 10 to 1 ratio of compliments to criticisms of him. Just not as confident in him as most of LG.....that's it. I truly hope he develops into an All Star, HOF'er or whatever....but my current perception of him and my projection of him as a player is simply less than that in which the majority of LG holds. There is nothing hateful about it. I really dislike his father....but I do not even "hate" him.

That's where I usually have you pegged as. Usually.
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

They need to be addressed, IMO, because Lonzo is our starting point guard and the presumed future of the franchise. His answer on Luke last month was terrible and, frankly, just weird. He's supposed to be a leader on the team and he gave Luke no support when Lavar attacked him from the outside -- "I can play fro anybody" or something to that effect. I think it would make anyone wonder if Lavar is speaking for Lonzo. Similarly, here, a "no comment" would make anyone wonder if if Lonzo is fine with Lavar's plans, which are nuts. How are players and the organization supposed to have confidence in the team when everyone is tip-toeing and looking the other way with "no comments?" It doesn't seem healthy, it's a kind of denial.

Lonzo can definitely help with better sentences lol. “I can play for anybody” foreal? How about,, “I’m happy with where I’m at”? He says Dad is his own man and he can say whatever he wants but we only care about what Lonzo feels and thinks so he needs to support the team. That includes publicly. He doesn’t need to offend or disrespect his dad but he can do wonders by speaking on his support for his team, coach, and teammates.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:

FWIW, I think the way that media availability works plays into this. On game days, we only get to talk to Luke. On non game-days, we get to talk to Luke and usually two players. They'll sometimes ask us who we'd like to talk to, but they usually send out who they want to send out.

Since it's the job of the Media Relations people to make the Lakers look as good as possible, they're going to protect guys who they feel are vulnerable, from a media perspective. We didn't get to talk to KCP during his whole prison fiasco. We haven't talked to Lonzo in a long time, although they've been on the road so much that maybe I've missed it. I'd imagine that the reason for that isn't because of LaVar's recent comments, but because of an injury that was initially reported as "day-to-day" has now meant that he's out for a month. They let Luke handle those updates.

We don't have the unfettered access to the players that it seems like from the outside. It's very much controlled by the Lakers, which is understandable. I suppose Lonzo could tell them "hey, I want to talk to the media and stand up to my dad", but that doesn't seem realistic to me.

None of that is to say that what you're saying is wrong here, I'm just trying to provide additional context that I think informs the whole dynamic.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

FWIW, I think the way that media availability works plays into this. On game days, we only get to talk to Luke. On non game-days, we get to talk to Luke and usually two players. They'll sometimes ask us who we'd like to talk to, but they usually send out who they want to send out.

Since it's the job of the Media Relations people to make the Lakers look as good as possible, they're going to protect guys who they feel are vulnerable, from a media perspective. We didn't get to talk to KCP during his whole prison fiasco. We haven't talked to Lonzo in a long time, although they've been on the road so much that maybe I've missed it. I'd imagine that the reason for that isn't because of LaVar's recent comments, but because of an injury that was initially reported as "day-to-day" has now meant that he's out for a month. They let Luke handle those updates.

We don't have the unfettered access to the players that it seems like from the outside. It's very much controlled by the Lakers, which is understandable. I suppose Lonzo could tell them "hey, I want to talk to the media and stand up to my dad", but that doesn't seem realistic to me.

None of that is to say that what you're saying is wrong here, I'm just trying to provide additional context that I think informs the whole dynamic.

The context is much appreciated. Thanks.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still am team Lonzo.

No, I think that high in the lottery you should generally make your pick and it's up to a team's front office to have the talent to assess talent and the chutzpah to draft against consensus. The deep 2017 draft makes it worth thinking about, but the Lakers most likely end up with De'Aaron Fox and Zach Collins or Luke Kennard based on pre-draft workouts (did Markkanen or Mitchell work out for them?).

I'm a huge believer in Lonzo, as you know. And I'm a huge believer in prospects like Lonzo when you're trying to hit a homerun at the top of the draft - he's such an odd player with an indeterminate ceiling, and I'd generally prefer a team take a shot on a guy like that than even a very gifted "safe" pick like DSJ/Mitchell.

Lastly, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Posters should have more patience than half a rookie season if they believed in a guy at the time of the draft. I'm all for being flexible based on new data, but the data on Ball is oddly positive, if decidedly mixed, and it's still too small of a sample size to start the "what if?" game of musical chairs half of LG played after the 2015 draft.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

I think it has gotten past the just ignore him phase I agree with Chris Broussard high end free agents are not joining this circus they can't control Lavar and Lonzo might get traded
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

There’s no reason to address Lavar in public. That’s stupid. It gives him credence and more air time. And it also doesn’t mean a thing. Lonzo is under contract and will be restricted when the contract is up. He also is presumably his own man, and can talk to players and FO and teammates directly instead of using the media for no other purpose than to give the peanut gallery something to gnaw on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 873, 874, 875 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 874 of 1688
Jump to: