Official Winter Olympics 2018 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Has anyone noticed that around a third of NBC's coverage, if not more, is just human interest stories? Between that, the commercials, and the commentary, less than half of the time spent watching is devoted to the actual competition.

Is this your first Olympics or something? I can remember it being like this all the way back in '76. It was probably the same in '72, but all I remember is what happened at the end of the Summer Games.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Has anyone noticed that around a third of NBC's coverage, if not more, is just human interest stories? Between that, the commercials, and the commentary, less than half of the time spent watching is devoted to the actual competition.

They figured that, in order to appeal to a mostly female audience that usually doesn't watch most of those sports, is to use human interest stories.

As someone that grew up in Europe and watched Olympic broadcasts over there, there are few human interest stories and few commercials, mostly since public tv stations own the rights and they don't rely on ad money. And Europeans actually care about alpine skiing, ski jumping, and other events.

At least NBC has had some live broadcasts in primetime, which meant showing more non-American athletes. But that's just because the time difference allows them to do it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

Lady Liberty will remain!

Quote:
IOC MEDIA

@iocmedia
On the Team USA hockey helmet 'story' - there seems to have been a misunderstanding, we have not asked for the symbol to be removed

USA goalie mask
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:
https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/02/12/pf-chang-pyeongchang-chicago-abc-graphic-photo

Is this harmless mistake? or is it harmful?

other example:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/asiana-pilots-fake-names-racist_n_3588569.html

Harmless mistake.

But they need to tighten up the quality controls.

Yeah, just hope it doesn't become a pattern. The outrage in prejudice/racism against Asians sometimes aren't as loud
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Go Chloe Kim! She just took the gold for the US in women’s halfpipe. At 17!!

What an awesome story. And to think she could have competed at Sochi but it was only an age restriction that kept her out.

Did double 1080s in her final victory run too. Dayum.

She’s the female Shaun White.

She's definitely raising the level of competition in women's snowboarding. She was basically competing against herself.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Emily Sweeney's luge crash. Glad she was able to get up and walk away.

LINK
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Is this your first Olympics or something? I can remember it being like this all the way back in '76. It was probably the same in '72, but all I remember is what happened at the end of the Summer Games.

I didn't realize that it was always this bad. 2008's coverage in Beijing was the first time that I seriously watched the coverage.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I didn't realize that it was always this bad. 2008's coverage in Beijing was the first time that I seriously watched the coverage.

1976 was the Bruce Jenner year (back when you could hear that name without expecting a punchline). It was also Nadia Comaneci’s year. We also had our greatest boxing team, with Sugar Ray Leonard and the Spinks brothers. I can remember endless human interest segments.

In all fairness, part of the problem lies in the event itself. There is a ton of dead time at the Olympics, and there are also a limited number of events that appeal to a broad audience. Not that many people really want to watch the biathlon, for example. If a network ran the biathlon for two hours, people would tune out. Networks have always struggled to hold people’s interest, so they use human interest features to fill the dead spaces and to make people connect with athletes they have never heard of.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Amazing run by Shaun White!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:

97.75 by Shaun White on his last run. Dual 1440's. Shaun White wins the gold in men's snowboarding halfpipe.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

If you can get a stream from BBC 1 and Eurosport 1 UK they have pretty commercial free coverage BBC has some talking heads but its nothing like the US coverage.
Salt_Lakers_City
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

Shaun White! Once again, America is the greatest!
I’m not upset he dragged the flag on the ground, he must have been in shock! I would be!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Being a minority I understand how some remarks can be taken out of context. I may be on this sled alone, I don't think the remarks were meant to be degrading. Misguided, uninformed, yes.

DISCUSS

Katie Couric apologizes following backlash over comment made during Olympics opening ceremony

LINK
Quote:

"Congrats #Netherlands on your [medal] count so far!" she wrote. "My apologies for being on this ice for my comments re: skating on canals. I was trying to salute your historical passion for the sport but it didn't come out that way! I'd <3 to visit again & celebrate your success!"

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Being a minority I understand how some remarks can be taken out of context. I may be on this sled alone, I don't think the remarks were meant to be degrading. Misguided, uninformed, yes.

DISCUSS

Katie Couric apologizes following backlash over comment made during Olympics opening ceremony

LINK
Quote:

"Congrats #Netherlands on your [medal] count so far!" she wrote. "My apologies for being on this ice for my comments re: skating on canals. I was trying to salute your historical passion for the sport but it didn't come out that way! I'd <3 to visit again & celebrate your success!"

There's nothing to discuss here.

She doesn't need to lose her job, be publicly hanged, called an -ist or -phobe or anything other recently fun and overused term.
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

One of the few good things NBC is doing this year is not postponing the live feeds on the west coast. If it's airing at 8pm on the east coast, it's airing at 5pm on the west.

I would guess that if it wasn't for social media, they wouldn't have made this change at all. Why tune in 3 hours after the east coast already watched and tweeted about it? However, they still have a long ways to go with this coverage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I like the live coverage and the exposure of non-US athletes. But there are still way too many commercials.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Moises wrote:
One of the few good things NBC is doing this year is not postponing the live feeds on the west coast. If it's airing at 8pm on the east coast, it's airing at 5pm on the west.

I would guess that if it wasn't for social media, they wouldn't have made this change at all. Why tune in 3 hours after the east coast already watched and tweeted about it? However, they still have a long ways to go with this coverage.

I wish they had done this for the Summer olympics. I kept seeing people tweeting and posting about Phelps's runs but it wasn' aired live for the West Coast. I hate watching sports on tape delay. Ruins it for me.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Moises wrote:

I wish they had done this for the Summer olympics. I kept seeing people tweeting and posting about Phelps's runs but it wasn' aired live for the West Coast. I hate watching sports on tape delay. Ruins it for me.

They didn't do it out of charity...the ratings for the last Olympics were down because people were watching feeds from other sources or didn't bother to watch because they read about it on the internet. So they decided to broadcast select events (of interest to US viewers of course) live on TV. Since NBC was paying the most money in rights fees they had the power to persuade the powers in the IOC to run certain events at US friendly viewing times. This is why stuff like snowboarding, skiing and skating competitions were live.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/14/the-kim-jong-un-impersonator-wanted-to-meet-the-north-korean-cheerleaders-it-didnt-go-well/
Salt_Lakers_City
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

DISCUSS

LINK
Quote:

There's nothing to discuss here.

She doesn't need to lose her job, be publicly hanged, called an -ist or -phobe or anything other recently fun and overused term.
wow, people get offended by anything these days.

If you guys can’t take it, plug your ears and crawl back in your safe space. This world doesn’t need more first world country snowflakes
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/14/the-kim-jong-un-impersonator-wanted-to-meet-the-north-korean-cheerleaders-it-didnt-go-well/

Probably going to get assassinated now.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

Aside from that horrific crash by the Austrian snowboard crosser, that event looks pretty exciting. Wish I'd seen more of it.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject:

I find the winter games to be superior both aesthetically and dramatically. The competitors' death-defying achievements of both speed and altitude, and their conquest of the icy elements are why the winter olympics completely outclasses the summer games.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I find the winter games to be superior both aesthetically and dramatically. The competitors' death-defying achievements of both speed and altitude, and their conquest of the icy elements are why the winter olympics completely outclasses the summer games.

Winter Olympics are closer to X-games....events like luge, skeleton, and bobsled where you hurl down a concrete track going 80mph, or snowboard halfpipe where if you screw up a trick you are now falling from pretty insane heights and can get seriously injured. Snowboard cross and short track speed skating resemble more like a demolition derby, and don't forget stuff like aerials where competitors are constantly upping the competition by doing more insane tricks. Even in figure skating competitors have to do triples and for the guys quads to even remain competitive nowadays.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

USA! USA! USA!

That was an incredible women's ice hockey gold medal game against Canada. They always play compelling games against each other. I love hockey anyway, and find the product to be so damn good, and the nature of any single play deciding the game late in the 3rd period or OT is so dramatic, and then you add a shootout to decide it all? Edge-of-your-seat stuff. Team USA was the better team in the 3rd period and OT, and we deserved the win.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: