OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 874, 875, 876 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

HellCrowe wrote:
First let me say that I love Lonzo as our PG. A guy that quickly changed the pace and passing of our team. However, papa Ball maybe a BIGGER problem come next year. While I believe he is going to be a star, I am a Lakers fan first and he may ultimately not be worth the headache and I don’t think we can wait for him to start being his own man. He is part of the Lakers organization and while we like his “let my play do the talking” attitude, he has not once backed up the organization from what his dad has said. Maybe it’s his age, maybe he sucks at conveying what he really wants, maybe his dad is actually speaking what Lonzo actually feels.

With that said, I am all for trading Lonzo, a potential “transcendent Star” for a big time All-Star. We have seen B.I. At point guard and folks, it has been working. 6’9” PG that does everything better than Lonzo at this point, minus the wow passing. His passing may not ever rival Lonzo’s but he has learned to make the right play with simple passes that have gotten his teammates involved, consistent all around stats, and most importantly WINS!

We all know B.I. needs to gain weight, but as the main ball handler at pG he will be able to work towards his full body potential at his own pace and stilll be more of a mismatch on the floor than Lonzo.. We have seen a small but worthy sample size and with all of this crap with Lonzo, I have been changing my tune.

BBB can and I believe will be very toxic in the locker room and the only person that can change that is Lonzo. Will FA and players want to line up for that drama? Yes we get attention, positive and negative from having Lonzo but all in all, will it be worth it? Man up Lonzo! Dude is that frustrating. Even more so than D-LO’s child acts. While all the kids are having fun now, that can change really quick. A few wrong words and it will be disastrous to the team.

Ingram, age 20, 2nd season (per36):

BLK - 0.7
STL - 0.8
TRB - 5.3
AST - 3.7 (16.4% assist rate)
TOV - 2.6
ATR - 1.42

BPM - (-1.7) (0.2 DBPM)
RPM - (-1.78) (-0.60 DRPM)

Ball, age 20, 1st season (per36):

BLK - 0.9
STL - 1.6
TRB - 7.1
AST - 7.1 (28.9% assist rate)
TOV - 2.9
ATR - 2.45

BPM - 1.0 (2.4 DBPM)
RPM - 0.18 (2.03 DRPM)
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still am team Lonzo.

But would you have done a #5/10 for #2 if that deal was on the table?

Heck no! Zo is a beast.
GoldenThroat

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Papa Ball doesn't matter. Really at all. Magic & Rob if anything should continue to ignore him.

I think it has gotten past the just ignore him phase I agree with Chris Broussard high end free agents are not joining this circus they can't control Lavar and Lonzo might get traded

What's the circus, exactly? Guys like SAS & Cowherd talking about it?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
The context is much appreciated. Thanks.

And right on cue, they made Lonzo available to the media today in New Orleans.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22439646/lonzo-ball-los-angeles-lakers-expects-return-right-all-star-break
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22439646/lonzo-ball-los-angeles-lakers-expects-return-right-all-star-break

Like the response.

"I did [see it]," Ball said when asked about LaVar's comments to a Lithuanian reporter. "No reaction [to it]. Like I said, I always just play. He always talks. It's always been the same way."
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

Like the response.

"I did [see it]," Ball said when asked about LaVar's comments to a Lithuanian reporter. "No reaction [to it]. Like I said, I always just play. He always talks. It's always been the same way."

That's a good answer.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

Like the response.

That's a good answer.

Zo is first born and despite his loyalty to his Dad (whatever degree that may be), so he generally answers these types of questions with a matter of fact candor that I really like. He's obviously used to dealing with this. Nothing new. It's just a larger degree because of the national spotlight and that he's a Laker.

This is where I think him having his own child will create even more separation for him and, for that, I am glad.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

Like the response.

That's a good answer.

Zo is first born and despite his loyalty to his Dad (whatever degree that may be), so he generally answers these types of questions with a matter of fact candor that I really like. He's obviously used to dealing with this. Nothing new. It's just a larger degree because of the national spotlight and that he's a Laker.

This is where I think him having his own child will create even more separation for him and, for that, I am glad.

It really is a well thought out position. Did I hear what he said? Of course, I am not a hermit without a phone. Do you have anything to say about what he said? Of course not, I am not an idiot.
Nice and simple.
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
HellCrowe wrote:
First let me say that I love Lonzo as our PG. A guy that quickly changed the pace and passing of our team. However, papa Ball maybe a BIGGER problem come next year. While I believe he is going to be a star, I am a Lakers fan first and he may ultimately not be worth the headache and I don’t think we can wait for him to start being his own man. He is part of the Lakers organization and while we like his “let my play do the talking” attitude, he has not once backed up the organization from what his dad has said. Maybe it’s his age, maybe he sucks at conveying what he really wants, maybe his dad is actually speaking what Lonzo actually feels.

With that said, I am all for trading Lonzo, a potential “transcendent Star” for a big time All-Star. We have seen B.I. At point guard and folks, it has been working. 6’9” PG that does everything better than Lonzo at this point, minus the wow passing. His passing may not ever rival Lonzo’s but he has learned to make the right play with simple passes that have gotten his teammates involved, consistent all around stats, and most importantly WINS!

We all know B.I. needs to gain weight, but as the main ball handler at pG he will be able to work towards his full body potential at his own pace and stilll be more of a mismatch on the floor than Lonzo.. We have seen a small but worthy sample size and with all of this crap with Lonzo, I have been changing my tune.

BBB can and I believe will be very toxic in the locker room and the only person that can change that is Lonzo. Will FA and players want to line up for that drama? Yes we get attention, positive and negative from having Lonzo but all in all, will it be worth it? Man up Lonzo! Dude is that frustrating. Even more so than D-LO’s child acts. While all the kids are having fun now, that can change really quick. A few wrong words and it will be disastrous to the team.

Ingram, age 20, 2nd season (per36):

BLK - 0.7
STL - 0.8
TRB - 5.3
AST - 3.7 (16.4% assist rate)
TOV - 2.6
ATR - 1.42

BPM - (-1.7) (0.2 DBPM)
RPM - (-1.78) (-0.60 DRPM)

Ball, age 20, 1st season (per36):

BLK - 0.9
STL - 1.6
TRB - 7.1
AST - 7.1 (28.9% assist rate)
TOV - 2.9
ATR - 2.45

BPM - 1.0 (2.4 DBPM)
RPM - 0.18 (2.03 DRPM)

Stats guy huh. Ok. Well, they’re both age 20, I’ll give you that. Let’s compare BI stats at PG compared to Ball at PG. much different story. You also have to take into consideration how we run our transition game. PG stays to rebound or push the ball after a defensive rebound. Reason why Lonzo has more rebounds and why B.I’s rebounds Went up once he was made the PG. When anyone else is at PG, you almost always see KCP and Ingram start running the other way when the opponent misses.

The positive for both at PG is they are going be going up against smaller guards almost every night. With that said, if that’s all you want to point out from my whole post, then you don’t clearly know what I am saying. Do I want Lonzo here, yes. If his situation starts making the locker room toxic (whether it’s him or his loud mouth dad), I am for the Lakers organization doing what needs to be done. B.I. Can handle the PG position if needed and like I said, we had something going with that.
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

Like the response.

Much better. This is what needs to be said. This helps the situation and the organization than, “I’ll play for anybody.”
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

People need to stop acting like Lonzo needs to tell his dad anything. LaVar talks and is the hype man, Lonzo in his mind just goes "that's my dad lol" and moves on.

The media cares a lot more about it than he does. Glad to see he doesn't let it distract him at all.. Although tbh it shouldn't, his dad's been talking like that his whole life as well as Lonzo's
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Has anyone asked Lonzo or the front office about Lavar's recent comments? They need to be addressed, IMO, not ignored. And if no one has asked yet, what crazy conditions are the Lakers putting on journalists?

Why do they need to be addressed?

No conditions are put on anyone, fwiw.

Thanks for the insight, GT.

They need to be addressed, IMO, because Lonzo is our starting point guard and the presumed future of the franchise. His answer on Luke last month was terrible and, frankly, just weird. He's supposed to be a leader on the team and he gave Luke no support when Lavar attacked him from the outside -- "I can play fro anybody" or something to that effect. I think it would make anyone wonder if Lavar is speaking for Lonzo. Similarly, here, a "no comment" would make anyone wonder if if Lonzo is fine with Lavar's plans, which are nuts. How are players and the organization supposed to have confidence in the team when everyone is tip-toeing and looking the other way with "no comments?" It doesn't seem healthy, it's a kind of denial.
hold on. he's supposed to be a leader on the team....check...
he's supposed to support his coach? Says who? You dont have to over support your coach to be a leader. as long as he's not a locker room cancer and the other guys listen to him. he's a leader. pure and simple. has nothing to do with if he has luke's back or not.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

HellCrowe wrote:
mookielala wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Has anyone asked Lonzo or the front office about Lavar's recent comments? They need to be addressed, IMO, not ignored. And if no one has asked yet, what crazy conditions are the Lakers putting on journalists?

They need to be addressed, IMO, because Lonzo is our starting point guard and the presumed future of the franchise. His answer on Luke last month was terrible and, frankly, just weird. He's supposed to be a leader on the team and he gave Luke no support when Lavar attacked him from the outside -- "I can play fro anybody" or something to that effect. I think it would make anyone wonder if Lavar is speaking for Lonzo. Similarly, here, a "no comment" would make anyone wonder if if Lonzo is fine with Lavar's plans, which are nuts. How are players and the organization supposed to have confidence in the team when everyone is tip-toeing and looking the other way with "no comments?" It doesn't seem healthy, it's a kind of denial.

Lonzo can definitely help with better sentences lol. “I can play for anybody” foreal? How about,, “I’m happy with where I’m at”? He says Dad is his own man and he can say whatever he wants but we only care about what Lonzo feels and thinks so he needs to support the team. That includes publicly. He doesn’t need to offend or disrespect his dad but he can do wonders by speaking on his support for his team, coach, and teammates.
now we're throwing in support the team. the coach is the coach, separate from the team. you dont have to support the coach to support your teammates. when has he thrown his teammates under the bus? never to my knowledge.
when has he had something negative to say about his teammates? never to my knowledge. Has his dad even said anything negative about his teammates? Not yet.
So....what are we talking about again?

Zo doesnt have to say a word to the cameras unless its about his teammates . if its about the lakers FO, or the coach. that aint on him to speak up or speak out.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

Like the response.

That's a good answer.

still wishing for him to be separate from his pops. terrible.

what has Lonzo the laker done to undermine the lakers due to something his dad told him to do? Nothing I know of.

So.....why are we being glad he has a new kid on the way to help him separate more form his father?

You do realize his dad is in another country and zo has been living on his own. Zo hasnt been living with his folks since he went to UCLA(and the summers dont count.) so he's already his own man. he has his own place and is paying his own rent. Grown man. Thats it and thats all. stop trying to pray he and his dad separate. its ridiculous.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Like someone said, Lonzo seems to be pretty matter-of-fact about things. Remember when he walked away from that little confrontation in that one game and people were saying it looked bad and he just shrugged it off and said those guys weren't really going to fight anyway. Of course he was right. Same thing with what he said about Luke. I mean, what, does anyone think he would retire if Luke got fired? Of course he'll play for whatever coach is there.

Like he said, he just wants to play, he doesn't seem to have much interest in playing the PR game. Maybe that'll change as he gets older, but I don't think it's a big deal.
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
HellCrowe wrote:
mookielala wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
mookielala wrote:

Lonzo can definitely help with better sentences lol. “I can play for anybody” foreal? How about,, “I’m happy with where I’m at”? He says Dad is his own man and he can say whatever he wants but we only care about what Lonzo feels and thinks so he needs to support the team. That includes publicly. He doesn’t need to offend or disrespect his dad but he can do wonders by speaking on his support for his team, coach, and teammates.
now we're throwing in support the team. the coach is the coach, separate from the team. you dont have to support the coach to support your teammates. when has he thrown his teammates under the bus? never to my knowledge.
when has he had something negative to say about his teammates? never to my knowledge. Has his dad even said anything negative about his teammates? Not yet.
So....what are we talking about again?

Zo doesnt have to say a word to the cameras unless its about his teammates . if its about the lakers FO, or the coach. that aint on him to speak up or speak out.

I have never said he said anything to throw any of his teammates under the bus. The point is he doesn’t say anything at all. If you see my previous post, I state that his Pops will eventually say something because I expect him to because he has (see UCLA). When that line gets cross I wonder how his young mates will handle it and II would love to see what his reply is. Like I keep pointing out, I am not against Lonzo, I’m for him to say the right things when it counts. As much as the media is responsible for putting this all out there, the one person that can silence the crowd is Lonzo. When that time comes, we’ll see what he does.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo charging $200 bucks for an autograph? Real All
Stars just hand those out.

Now that is petty.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:

Now that is petty.

WOw. $200 serious?
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:

Now that is petty.

Yeah that is wack, but everyone has character flaws I guess
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

HellCrowe wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Papa Ball doesn't matter. Really at all. Magic & Rob if anything should continue to ignore him.

That’s not that simple as you make it. Papa ball once said Look at the players UCLA has (referring to white players). I’m dreading the day that will happen when he criticizes any of our players. Ignore him all you want but the fact is, Lonzo needs to represent the Lakers organization. Not just all up in his head.

It is that simple. His father is an attention seeker looking to promote his sons/brand now with an ESPN platform (amongst others) & the Lakers organization. Papa Ball feeds off shock value. There should be no shock as it's the same script over and over again.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lonzo Ball said if this were the playoffs, he'd be playing now in games. Ball said he will be back next Friday against Dallas in the Lakers' first game after the break. He said he still feels a little discomfort when he pushes off the left knee on defense. His last hurdle is a full-contact, full-speed practice.

Ohm Youngmisuk, ESPN Staff Writer
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

With or without the Ball family, the Lakers are finding themselves

Ramona Shelburne
ESPN Senior Writer
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22450175/los-angeles-lakers-star-lonzo-ball-caught-famous-father-team
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

i'm happy enough with our current situation that i'm starting to care less and less about lonzo. i don't feel he is interested in PnG, just green.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Lonzo Ball said if this were the playoffs, he'd be playing now in games. Ball said he will be back next Friday against Dallas in the Lakers' first game after the break. He said he still feels a little discomfort when he pushes off the left knee on defense. His last hurdle is a full-contact, full-speed practice.

Ohm Youngmisuk, ESPN Staff Writer

If these last 2 games are any indication then it’s fair to assume that we need Lonzo badly we are being cautious with our franchise player in a season were we have no draft pick or no tanking implications. if the Lakers are gonna play it safe then they probably realize that playoffs are a long shot. that’s one reason why I think there not rushing him back... the Sixers did the same with Embiid last year so the Lakers are taking a playbook from the Sixers.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:

Now that is petty.

shaq gave my old man an autograph at a gas station back in the day. the cost? a coffee. he was joking.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 874, 875, 876 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 875 of 1688
Jump to: