RIP Flip Saunders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject:

Really really terrible.

RIP Flip.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject:

Greatly saddened by the news of this. I really am...

Big loss in the basketball community.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Damn, cancer really does suck.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Stephon Marbury had a touching message on his Instagram as well

https://instagram.com/p/9RxMYARyHO/

Damn.

Wow Starbury...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/10/26/nba-coaches-will-wear-lapel-pin-honoring-flip-saunders/

Quote:
NBA coaches will wear lapel pin honoring Flip Saunders

The passing of Flip Saunders on Sunday caught the NBA off-guard. From his players, other coaches, other front office staffs around the league came stories with the universal theme of him being one of the good guys (and that was my experience in limited interactions with him).

This season his fellow NBA coaches will honor his memory in games, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.

Rick Carlisle, president of NBA Coaches Association, says coaches leaguewide will wear lapel pin this season to honor Flip Saunders' memory

— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) October 26, 2015

That’s a nice nod by the coaches to a fallen colleague.

What people around the league can do that would be even more appropriate is make a donation to cancer research (he died of Hodgkin’s lymphoma) and help us move a step closer to wiping that disease off the list killers in this nation (and around the world). It has robbed us of too many people who were too young.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/10/26/minnesota-owner-says-sam-mitchell-coach-milt-newton-gm-for-season/

Quote:
Minnesota owner says Sam Mitchell coach, Milt Newton GM for season

Sam Mitchell deserved another shot as an NBA head coach at some point — he had done a good job building up the Raptors when he was north of the border before, he had paid his dues since.

But this is not how he wanted to get that chance.

With the passing of Flip Saunders on Sunday, Mitchell will coach the team for the season, and Milt Newton will take on an expanded role as general manager, owner Glen Taylor told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

“Sometimes, positives can happen,” Taylor said. “In this particular case, let’s see what these people do, let’s see what their leadership is. Going through difficult times, maybe we’ll see people bloom into what they might not have been otherwise.”

The two of them are going to get a season to see if they can grow and develop this talented young roster. This is about the worst way possible to get a year-long job interview, but as Taylor said he wants to see what they can do.

Taylor said the team will wear a patch honoring Saunders on their uniform or warm-ups, although whether those will be approved by the league and in place for opening night remains to be seen. Before the Timberwolves home opener Sunday there will be some remembrance of Saunders, he added.

Newton said there were some brief discussions with the NBA about postponing Wednesday’s road opening for the Timberwolves, but the talks were never serious.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/10/30/saunders-family-establishes-memorial-fund-for-fallen-coach-2/

Quote:
Saunders family establishes memorial fund for fallen coach

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The family of the late Minnesota Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders has established a memorial fund that they say will help carry his legacy forward.

The family announced Friday that Saunders will be laid to rest this weekend in a private ceremony after dying from complications of Hodgkin’s lymphoma on Sunday.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be sent to the Flip Saunders Legacy Fund. They say the fund will be “solely devoted to aiding and supporting deserving individuals or groups and continue the positive impact of the life of coach Flip Saunders.”

The family says a public memorial celebration of Saunders’ life will be held sometime later this year.

Fund details: Flip Saunders Legacy Fund, P.O. Box 46410, Plymouth, Minnesota, 55446
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/saunders-family-grapples-fourth-july-flips-death-144621121--nba.html

Quote:
Saunders family grapples on Fourth of July with Flip's death

ANNANDALE, Minn. (AP) -- In a year of firsts for the Saunders family, this one may have been the toughest.

Family members gathered at their cabin for the July Fourth holiday that patriarch Flip Saunders, the late president and coach
the Minnesota Timberwolves, cherished over any other.

Trepidation hung in the air as they made the one-hour drive from their home outside Minneapolis to Clearwater Lake. They had gotten through the first Christmas without Flip. Feb. 23, what would have been his 61st birthday, had come and gone. So had the first Father's Day since his death last October from complications of Hodgkin lymphoma.

But the Fourth, that was always Flip's favorite. It was his time to bring together so many of the people he loved - but rarely got to see during the hectic NBA season- for some good food, good company and a whiffle ball game between his Old Timers and son Ryan's Young Guns. The cabin's yard would be turned into a field, complete with an outfield fence, bleachers and a sound system for introductions.

Somewhere between 80 and 100 people returned last weekend for another game, another cookout, another celebration of family and friendship. They came to try to continue the healing process, to move forward but never move on, following Flip's death.

''This was the hardest one,'' said Debbie, Flip's wife of 37 years. ''I can't believe I'm saying that without crying. But I think because we did it the way we always did, it is exactly how he would have wanted it.''

But it was ... different.

There was no sound system this year. Flip usually had a Wolves staffer bring speakers from the weight room at Target Center.

There were no sixth-inning rules changes that could abruptly shift the balance of power. Flip was the one who always stopped the game for that.

And the banter between the two teams was cordial. Flip was the one who got under Ryan's skin and got the competitive juices flowing.

Ryan, an assistant coach with the Wolves, could feel it. As he squatted down to play catcher, he turned to his fiancee, Hayley Dulin.

''Hayles, you have no idea how it was,'' he said. ''It was back and forth.''

Just two days earlier, Ryan proposed to Hayley in the gazebo near the field. One of the reasons he chose this weekend to pop the question was to try to turn a potentially somber occasion into a joyous one.

''There's so many things I try to tell her,'' Ryan said. ''She helped me through the toughest time. She saved me through everything. I knew her in college. And then we reconnected in the last year. I feel like the nudge that she needed after me being persistent for about three months was my dad telling her, 'You gotta go save my son.'''

The Young Guns prevailed this time around, 3-0, but it wasn't quite as intense as previous games. It wasn't like the time when longtime family friend Jeff Vint, now father-in-law to one of Flip's daughters, carried the championship belt given to the winner into the Hitching Post bar the night before a game a few years ago with Flip right behind him. The two barked at the young guys, got them all fired up, and may have snookered them into a few extra drinks.

''The next day we just hammered 'em,'' a giggling Vint said. ''It was like 20-2 or something.''

This year family friend Steve Stinski had every jersey made with the No. 14 - Flip's college number - on the back. They wore hats with ''Flip'' written across the Timberwolves logo, and there was plenty of sheet cake and Mountain Dew - two of his favorites - on hand.

Everyone smiled, or tried to. Everyone laughed, or tried to. Everyone hasn't moved forward but is trying to.

''People have no idea how hard it is,'' Ryan said. ''They look around and see healing, but every time I walk into that building ... "

Ryan and his sister Rachel still work for the Timberwolves, and there are reminders everywhere. Pictures of Flip in the practice facility. Pins that say ''Flip'' worn by team employees at Target Center. Opposing players who stop to offer their condolences.

''I think every first that we go through, those are hard enough. But it's almost the in-betweens, the unexpected ones,'' said Mindy Vint, the eldest of three daughters. ''It's never going to be the same without him. But my dad would want us to always keep going and to celebrate and care for each other and carry on any part of him that we can.''

It took a while for Debbie to get back to the arena after Flip died.

''I didn't know if I could do it,'' she said. ''Maybe you're numb a little bit, but the arena always felt like home. ... It felt like it always was and Flip was on vacation or maybe a scouting trip or something. It always kind of felt right to be there, even though it was hard.''

She eventually became a fixture again next to her daughters at the games. She found comfort in watching the team her husband assembled grow up before her eyes while mourning the loss of a coach who was universally respected.

''I think there's a little bit of pretending going on,'' she said. ''If I see my kids doing OK, I feel OK. And vice versa. We've just been kind of bolstering each other up and leaning on our friends and trying to get through it.''

Ryan and Rachel could have left the Wolves to get out of the shadow, but there is a collective determination to finish what Flip started.

''I see the potential in these guys. I want so bad for them to be good because I know Flip was a big part of that,'' Debbie said. ''I hope that that carries on with what (coach Tom Thibodeau) and (general manager Scott Layden) do. Basketball's always been our world. I've always been that support there, the person behind the scenes that makes it right so he can go do his thing.''

That's why last Sunday was so important.

As folks started walking to their cars to head back to the Twin Cities, a woman stood by her SUV and relayed the news of the day on her cellphone.

''The Young Guns won. They were just a little too much for the Old Timers,'' she said. ''It was a good day.

''Everybody was happy.''
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Damn.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Unless I'm mistaken, ESPN didn't include Flip during their In Memorium piece during the ESPYs. He even worked for them ffs.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

http://thecomeback.com/nba/kevin-garnett-still-mad-timberwolves-handled-flip-saunders-death.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quote:
Kevin Garnett is still mad at the Timberwolves over how they handled Flip Saunders’ death

KG is a bit bitter over how things went down in Minnesota.

When Kevin Garnett returned to the Minnesota Timberwolves in February 2015, he was thrilled to reunite with his friend and mentor Flip Saunders, who had been his coach years older and was then the team’s president.

But Saunders died in October at age 60, Garnett was left with a coach and front office he didn’t have much relationship with. He eventually negotiated a buy-out with owner Glen Taylor.

Now Garnett is retired, and he’s still a bit bitter about how things went down in Minnesota. In an interview with the AP, he said that “me and Glen don’t see eye-to-eye on a lot of things” and that he was disappointed that he wasn’t consulted more often on personnel decisions.

Most notably, KG took issue with how the Timberwolves handled their tribute to Saunders. When the team decided to produce a memorial video, Garnett chose not to participate. Via the AP:

One glaring absence was Garnett, who said he “couldn’t put a lifetime of friendship into three minutes.”

“How do you put a time limit on something like that?” Garnett said. “And then, too, I thought he wasn’t celebrated the proper way. You have high school banners, you have (expletive) hockey banners (hanging in the rafters). You couldn’t put a Flip banner in Target Center, some place that we helped build? … We established that market. I helped grow that with him. You can’t put him in the (rafters)?

“So I just had problems with how they were shoving this down all of our throats. The young guys, they weren’t invested enough to really understand what was going on. I chose to be mute, to be professional and keep all the negative energy down. There was a bigger message I wanted to tell, but I supported it and just kept my mouth shut.”
It’s hard to know whether these criticisms are fair or whether Garnett’s love for his friend just has his emotions running high.

KG made clear in this interview is that he still has love for his ex-Timberwolves teammates, but he seems reluctant to forgive the front office.

“I wish the Timberwolves all the best. I talk to KAT and some of the young guys all the time,” Garnett said. “I hope they can find a special place in commemorating Flip and celebrating him properly.”
At some point, you have to imagine this will get patched up and Garnett will return to Minnesota for all kinds of ceremonies. But if they decide to put up a banner honoring him, that might be an awkward conversation.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/02/15/watch-the-timberwolves-raise-flip-saunders-banner-at-target-center/

Quote:
Watch the Timberwolves raise Flip Saunders’ banner at Target Center

The Minnesota Timberwolves lost former coach and front office man Flip Saunders in 2015 after a battle with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The loss of Saunders hit the basketball community in Minneapolis hard, and on Thursday the team decided to honor his memory by raising a banner to the rafters at Target Center.

Fans were able to watch not only the raising of the banner, but speeches by people like Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, Karl-Anthony Towns, and Chauncey Billups.

Those in attendance also received a special coin, a tribute to those Saunders designed each season.

Via Twitter:

Timberwolves

@Timberwolves
Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell, Gary Trent, Troy Hudson, and Chauncey Billups all in the building tonight. #ForFlip

8:18 PM - Feb 15, 2018
276 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Timberwolves

@Timberwolves
Each season, Flip created a new team coin to give to players, front office staff, and fans he’d encounter.

The first two are the trademark coins he created, and the third coin was made in honor of Flip and will be released to fans in attendance during tomorrow’s game.

1:00 PM - Feb 14, 2018
126 people are talking about this

NBA

@NBA
Chauncey Billups remembers his relationship with Flip Saunders. #ForFlip

8:48 PM - Feb 15, 2018
103 people are talking about this

NBA

@NBA
"It's so important, as we put this banner up tonight that we keep that memory of not only what Flip has done in the past, but that he is a part of the future."

- The @Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor #ForFlip

8:54 PM - Feb 15, 2018
47 people are talking about this

NBA

@NBA
#KarlAnthonyTowns on Flip's tremendous impact on the @Timberwolves organization and state of Minnesota as a whole. #ForFlip

9:07 PM - Feb 15, 2018
70 people are talking about this

NBA

@NBA
The @Timberwolves raise the banner #ForFlip.

8:59 PM - Feb 15, 2018
76 people are talking about this
Good for the Timberwolves organization for retiring Flip’s name to the rafters, where he can watch over the team forever.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

This is Sad. RIP Flip, hope you're at a better place right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: