OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Oh now ya'll remember why you were excited about Zu last season?

For the record, Zu's been killing it in practice and outplaying some of the bigs in drills, as well as dominating in the G-League.

He also dedicated himself this off-season, though there was a thousand different things occupying his mind in Summer League which attributed to his 'disengaged' performance, he didn't use it as an excuse. Canceled his vacations and dedicated the entire rest of the summer to working on his body and his game.

He went out there tonight and showed what we've been missing out on.

hard to show it, when he got no consistent minutes, nor a chance from Walton at all.

Zubac should have been our starting center this year in a season where we continued to focus primarily on our young talent. But alas, too late for that now.

Maybe he can finally get some consistent minutes, but it is Luke we're talking about. if he finds something that works, he goes away from it till we go on a 9 game losing streak and then decides to try out "that thing that was effective" finally.

It's not Lukes fault when a young guy after the last game of the season stops eating healthy food and train hard.
Everybody could see that Zu came totally out of shape to summer league.
I don't appreciate cancelling his holidays, bc he could have went on vacation if hedidn't stop working out after the last game of 2017.

He's getting pro money, so he should live and work like a pro! Luke was right to send him down to D-League. Guy just needed a lesson to learn.

Hopefully he learned. As we can see, he's not in disgrace.

Last edited by matigol on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject:

To those of you who were ready to throw out our next big man like yesterdays trash, it will not be forgotten. We who stuck with Zubby know he we are and we are vindicated once again.

Those of you who gave up on the young man after a few bad games , shame on you.

Zubac has risen again.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
MJST wrote:

For the record, Zu's been killing it in practice and outplaying some of the bigs in drills, as well as dominating in the G-League.

He also dedicated himself this off-season, though there was a thousand different things occupying his mind in Summer League which attributed to his 'disengaged' performance, he didn't use it as an excuse. Canceled his vacations and dedicated the entire rest of the summer to working on his body and his game.

hard to show it, when he got no consistent minutes, nor a chance from Walton at all.

Zubac should have been our starting center this year in a season where we continued to focus primarily on our young talent. But alas, too late for that now.

Maybe he can finally get some consistent minutes, but it is Luke we're talking about. if he finds something that works, he goes away from it till we go on a 9 game losing streak and then decides to try out "that thing that was effective" finally.

It's not Lukes fault when a young guy after the last game of the season stops eating healthy food and train hard.
I don't appreciate cancelling his holidays, bc he could have went on vacation if hedidn't stop working out after the last game of 2017.

He's getting pro money, so he should live and work like a pro! Luke was right to send him down to D-League. Guy just needed a lesson to learn.

Wait a minute, where you get this info about Zubac slacking off soon as last season ended. From what I heard he was training hard. Some think he trained too hard or not training the right way, it's more like he got tired legs instead of being out of shape in summer league.
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

so you were looking in his plate every time he ate and know what he had to eat?
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject:

Great game by Zu, hopefully this gets him some more burn after the ASG because Lopez really hasn't been as advertised this year. I'd like to see what the kid Bryant is about too. Nothing to lose really, playoffs aren't happening we just need to focus on being a better team than we were last year.

Have we even seen Zu play much Zo this season?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
matigol wrote:
MJST wrote:

Wait a minute, where you get this info about Zubac slacking off soon as last season ended. From what I heard he was training hard. Some think he trained too hard or not training the right way, it's more like he got tired legs instead of being out of shape in summer league.

Yeah, that guy had no idea what he was referring to.

Zubac was training hard, he was actually one of our hardest workers in the off-season and in general. His body just hadn't caught up yet.

He had a poor showing in summer league, due to a myriad of things going on in his life. However he didn't use that as an excuse. He instead canceled all his vacation plans for after Summer League and went back into the gym and worked twice as hard. He has shown off the work he put in, in practice and in drills where he's outplayed the other bigs. But he never got rewarded with playtime.

He went down to the G-League and dominated pretty much, and then got no minutes when called back up.

Zubac is a developing big man, but big men usually take longer to develop. But sometimes people are so quick to jump off a bandwagon before they jump on so NOW they appreciate him cause they remember "oh yeah maybe I shouldn't judge a guy who has success against actual NBA talent for a bad summer league.."

Zubac is a post center that can stretch the floor and has a defensive upside and good timing for a 19 year old defensively though it could use some work it's to be expected.

Zubac showed his rebounding is also important tonight, and we haven't even utilized him in the pick and roll like we did last year where his soft touch floater was near automatic.

So yeah, I'm glad that some of these fans now remember how good Zubac was last year ESPECIALLY for a 19 year old. There was a reason people were saying that he was further along than Marc Gasol was at the same age.

How quickly some people turned on him cause of summer league was sickening.

Anyway, I'm glad he's getting some time now, hopefully he can work himself into a rhythm. But given our coach it wouldn't shock me if Zu didn't get any minutes outside of garbage time next game.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject:

He was slacking this off season. I remember reading an article about it, he said that he was upset that he couldn't play for the Croatia National Team and about his grandfather's (IIRC) death. And he was just a 19 year old millionaire living alone in Los (bleep) Angeles. Hard to blame him.

His performance on Summer League was really, really bad. He was out of shape, slow and lost his soft touch. Can't blame Luke on not giving him minutes.

Very happy to see him back in shape and producing. He was so much better than Brook Lopez and I hope that he can get consistent playing time for now on.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Developing young talent isn't just about throwing your young guys with the highest upside out there and let them learn through trial and error. There is a lot more to it. Being able to develop your talent while letting them get a taste of winning and competing (seeing reward for competing as well). Otherwise the coaching goes in one ear and out the other and you have a bunch of kids upset over working so hard and doing what they're told with no results. It becomes frustrating and very trying in young guys. Thats why getting an anchor like Brook and a two way player who's been around for a while both now as a vet and a young guy coming up is so important.

Zubac knew his time would come and he stayed ready for that moment. He's not looked good in his limited action this year up to this point. Poor D, not great on the boards and hasnt shown that soft touch from.last year. Hopefully this is the game he needed to get back in the rotation where he can fill that hustle we lost with Larry.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject:

Still a good prospect.. very nice reminder. He looks a tad more athletic than last year, shed pounds... had a really big dunk in the 4th
I wonder how strong this kid isn't going to be in 4 years... he's 20y.o
Don't forget he made a halfway decent amount of 3s in the dleague last year..The Lakers really need to bolster their shooting development coaching/plan

Great to be reminded he a good prospect.. we have a bunch....
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Zubac was training hard, he was actually one of our hardest workers in the off-season and in general. His body just hadn't caught up yet.

He had a poor showing in summer league, due to a myriad of things going on in his life. However he didn't use that as an excuse. He instead canceled all his vacation plans for after Summer League and went back into the gym and worked twice as hard. He has shown off the work he put in, in practice and in drills where he's outplayed the other bigs. But he never got rewarded with playtime.

He went down to the G-League and dominated pretty much, and then got no minutes when called back up.

Zubac is a developing big man, but big men usually take longer to develop. But sometimes people are so quick to jump off a bandwagon before they jump on so NOW they appreciate him cause they remember "oh yeah maybe I shouldn't judge a guy who has success against actual NBA talent for a bad summer league.."

Zubac is a post center that can stretch the floor and has a defensive upside and good timing for a 19 year old defensively though it could use some work it's to be expected.

Zubac showed his rebounding is also important tonight, and we haven't even utilized him in the pick and roll like we did last year where his soft touch floater was near automatic.

So yeah, I'm glad that some of these fans now remember how good Zubac was last year ESPECIALLY for a 19 year old. There was a reason people were saying that he was further along than Marc Gasol was at the same age.

Anyway, I'm glad he's getting some time now, hopefully he can work himself into a rhythm. But given our coach it wouldn't shock me if Zu didn't get any minutes outside of garbage time next game.

Ok , I didn't know that you have more knowledege of Zu's shape than his coaches.

To me, he looked more doughy all summer than he looks now. It wasn't only summer league, he looked awful every single minute this season until FEB.

Apparently , there was no reason to reward Zu with more play time until now. Luke's not an idiot! Why does he play him now? Because he earned it in practice.

If there were other reasons not to play him, he would play Bryant now.

And "dominating G-League" is not a reason to play a guy in the NBA.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject:

ZU it was good to see you finally get to play. I knew the only thing that was holding you back was Luke.

Zu seemed to be a much more physical presence in the post than Lopez. Last year he would get pushed around and with the limited minutes he is getting it seems he is the one doing the pushing.

I hope that we see a lot of him after the ASB for we will be counting on him in the rotation next year even if we sign two max players.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject:

Nance minutes... give it to Zu!!! Sorry Frye, u the 3rd string
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject:

Overreactions on a 20 year olds ups and downs are just too much.

Zu's got the potential, has the size, soft touch, and most importantly I don't think he fears anyone. Went extremely hard at Steven Adams and didn't seem phased at all at KAT. Give him some time
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
ZU it was good to see you finally get to play. I knew the only thing that was holding you back was Luke.

Zu seemed to be a much more physical presence in the post than Lopez. Last year he would get pushed around and with the limited minutes he is getting it seems he is the one doing the pushing.

I hope that we see a lot of him after the ASB for we will be counting on him in the rotation next year even if we sign two max players.

I've been a critic of Luke this season, but I don't think that's quite right. For whatever reason--and people have offered up a few different reasons--Zu just didn't look the same in Summer League and in preseason this year. I was there in Vegas for Summer League, and he looked like a total stiff. We were all shocked, and when I say "we", I mean those of us LG'ers that were there in attendance. I think we were just hoping that the Summer League event was just an outlier and that he'd look like he did last season in this year's preseason, but that didn't happen, either. Something was just off with the guy.

Let's hope that now he's served his time, so to speak, in the G League, and that he can get back to looking like the player he was last season. He's obviously still very young.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

Kid is gonna get paid in the Summer of 2019 as an RFA, b/c even if we are not willing/smart enough to give him run, some other team in this league will.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

It was only 1 game, and Zubac has been on ice such a long time. However, in his first real game as "the Nance replacement" he did great, and actually paid much better than Lopez. Now, if Zubac can really show some quality play the rest of the season, the club may think seriously about not bringing back Lopez.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
It was only 1 game, and Zubac has been on ice such a long time. However, in his first real game as "the Nance replacement" he did great, and actually paid much better than Lopez. Now, if Zubac can really show some quality play the rest of the season, the club may think seriously about not bringing back Lopez.

Nope, look at his game log from last year from 1/17 to the end of March. Got burn, put up 4 double-doubles in right around 20 min per night. Luke has seen this before and is NOT INTERESTED. Doesn't fit his little big man pencil.
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
Kid is gonna get paid in the Summer of 2019 as an RFA, b/c even if we are not willing/smart enough to give him run, some other team in this league will.

there was a rumor that Spurs were interested in Zubac. if that happens just watch Gregg Popovich make new Tim Duncan out of Zu
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

Zu, I apologize for overreacting to summer league. Welcome back to the young core!
Fansince79
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

I've been looking forward to see what Zubac can do with this young team in years to come:

PG Ball
SG Hart
SF Ingram
PF Kuzma/Randle
C Zubac/Bryant

All of them are under 23 years old!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
MJST wrote:

Ok , I didn't know that you have more knowledege of Zu's shape than his coaches.

To me, he looked more doughy all summer than he looks now. It wasn't only summer league, he looked awful every single minute this season until FEB.

Apparently , there was no reason to reward Zu with more play time until now. Luke's not an idiot! Why does he play him now? Because he earned it in practice.

If there were other reasons not to play him, he would play Bryant now.

And "dominating G-League" is not a reason to play a guy in the NBA.

He looked 'more doughy" in summer league? are you serious?

Rookie Season Summer League(copy paste): https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/aZqM73-_7DtEiNvdHUJ_gPcz1UE=/0x0:1704x2400/1200x800/filters:focal(770x576:1042x848)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/50177617/usa-today-9380819.0.jpg

This Season Summer League: https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1200/1*Xw97ybAiGiqqS_6tA4rZPg.jpeg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/lakers/sites/default/files/styles/story_main_photo/public/ts-5-things-zubac-vander.jpg?itok=9aLo6JQI

http://www.beobasket.net/sw4i/box/image.jpg?imageId=23159&thumb=1

Don't know what Summer League you were watching.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

Anyway back to the point, Zu worked his butt off after his summer league performance and came into camp at the 8% body fat, but he also spent that time working on his agility/speed etc because he wanted to primarily be ready to defend the pick and roll better against guards.

He's not there yet I don't think but it's very clear he's more explosive, quicker than last year and that's great to see. It's the results of the work he's been putting in, I hope he keeps at it.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

"IF" Zu can continue to shine, you can add him in with Hart, and possibly Bryant, to be nice additions to BI/Ball/Randle/Kuz, then add in the shot at two max players and voila, lakers are back in contention!
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
I always believed in Zubac. If there is a big who can consistently hit a hook shot and play solid D....

History tells us, that sort of thing can make a big man a big unstoppable.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

Minnesota's also a good matchup for him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 204 of 290
Jump to: