Refs this year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Refs this year

Seriously, this is the worst refereeing I've ever seen on the NBA.
And they don't get punished, they don't get suspended, nothing. It's (bleep) absurd.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject:

The league is supposed to be discussing this issue during All-Star break.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Thee referees seem to be lacking control of their emotions
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

That’s why they’re having a conference during the All-Star break because the situation is out of control to say the least.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

at least steve javie isn't still reffing
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Back to back average to horrendous teams just put up 130+ against them. Just stop, you sound like a Clipper fan. We suck. Credit where credit is due
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I don’t blame the refs for the outcome of these games, but, some horrendous calls. And non-calls both ways. That OKC game where we won was hilarious. Never seen refs not call end of game intentional fouls.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject:

I’ve seen the 2 weirdest calls I’ve seen in my life this season

1) D’angelo Russell (who was in his regular clothes sitting at the end of the bench) got called for a technical for clapping when an opposing player missed a free throw

2) Tom Thibbs got called for a tech for yelling at KAT. Since when can you get called for yelling at a player on your team?! Wolves lost that game by 1 point

Start giving the refs fines and they’ll think twice about making dumbass calls.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

No, this is accurate, danzag. The officiating is the worst I've ever seen in the Association. It's not just Laker games. I watched a sequence tonight in the Blazers-Warriors game in the 3rd quarter where KD takes a 3, there's some slight contact as he lands (it didn't really affect the shot), and the ref calls the foul as the shot goes in. OK, you're supposed to let them land, I get it. Four-point play. So within 60 seconds of that, Napier takes a 3 for the Blazers. He shoots it, and there is clear contact by a Warriors player, and he falls down, having not been allowed to land. The shot goes in, and...no call. I mean, it was the same situation, only this one was even more obvious. No call. The fact that the officials just saw the exact same situation moments earlier makes you wonder.

It's nearing college-level officiating, and that's genuinely saying something. IT's ejection tonight was ridiculous. Rondo was the one out of control, so to diffuse the situation, they think they need to even it up?
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Tonights game (Pelicans) was ridiculous with the IT ejection.
I don't think this season stands out as much as we as humans are more aware of injustice due to the current state of the world unfortunately.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Christopher Walken wrote:
I don't think this season stands out as much as we as humans are more aware of injustice due to the current state of the world unfortunately.

Just curious, how old are you? I'm 41. I try not to overreact to things. But this is as bad as I've ever seen it. I mean, there have always been issues. Rookies getting the shaft, stars getting the benefit of calls, "home cooking" from refs. But it feels like there has been more inconsistency this season from them. Just bad calls that go beyond the typical stuff I've usually seen. Maybe you're right, and maybe we're overreacting. But it really doesn't feel that way to me.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Just curious, how old are you? I'm 41. I try not to overreact to things. But this is as bad as I've ever seen it. I mean, there have always been issues. Rookies getting the shaft, stars getting the benefit of calls, "home cooking" from refs. But it feels like there has been more inconsistency this season from them. Just bad calls that go beyond the typical stuff I've usually seen. Maybe you're right, and maybe we're overreacting. But it really doesn't feel that way to me.

You and me both brother. I've never seen it this bad and that's including the period where the refs were on strike in '95. It's all over the place and these refs are doubling down by having a collective itchy trigger finger with techs.

The Thibodeau tech was the biggest load I've seen. Someone needs to be fined for that.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
Back to back average to horrendous teams just put up 130+ against them. Just stop, you sound like a Clipper fan. We suck. Credit where credit is due

I don't think OP was trying to blame the refs for the losses, it was more a comment on the reffing as a whole this year and he is right, 12 years watching this league I've not seen it this bad league-wide ever. Weird calls all over the place. They're way too trigger-happy with technicals and messing up a bunch of other stuff too. We had a game a couple weeks ago where our players were basically getting aggravated assaults on them before they called the intentional foul it was the weirdest thing I've seen at the end of the game in years. Randle had like three players smacking him right in front of a ref who never called the intentional, time just expired instead.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:

This.

We came back in the game but spent all of our energy coming back. The intensity has to be there right out of the gates. Even if they toss two players. We gotta be mentally tough. Smarter than the the strategy our opponents throw at us. Refs will always call ish calls. We gotta have the mindset to get ahead by 30 even if we don’t get there. A champion team takes the refs out of the equation.

How about we take the initiative and get assistant coaches that can teach young rooks to play at a championship level. Obviously our coaching staff needs to do better or be bounced.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:

I don't think OP was trying to blame the refs for the losses, it was more a comment on the reffing as a whole this year and he is right, 12 years watching this league I've not seen it this bad league-wide ever. Weird calls all over the place. They're way too trigger-happy with technicals and messing up a bunch of other stuff too. We had a game a couple weeks ago where our players were basically getting aggravated assaults on them before they called the intentional foul it was the weirdest thing I've seen at the end of the game in years. Randle had like three players smacking him right in front of a ref who never called the intentional, time just expired instead.

Yeah, that was at the end of the OKC game. OKC has to foul...THEY HAVE TO FREAKING FOUL AND THE ENTIRE WORLD KNOWS IT...Randle gets hit once, then again, and then again...and no call. Time expires, game over. There was a referee in perfect position, literally a few feet in front of the play.

Completely unconscionable. I can't ever remember using the F word on Twitter before. I did right after that play.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:

I'm not saying that we lost because of the refs. We suck and I know it.
I'm saying that refereeing this year has been really bad. All over the league, all the games.

The other day Thibs got a tech for yelling at his own player. Draymond shows a bloody face to a ref and gets ejected. IT gets taunted by Rondo and gets ejected.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject:

Social Media magnifies everything. We think we know everything, but we must believe nothing, too many lies and conspirators out here. How many times does some one have to come out and say some off the wall (probably truth) and then get butchered for it. Way too sensitive, the list goes on and on.

Like no one can believe the association is the wwe (yeah right). Just like no one can believe that science and medicine is mainly driven by profit and not truth.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

Scrutiny and second guessing of the refs contributes but I also think the players have a part in the problem. Their reactions and expectations have become ridiculous too.

Twenty years ago there were bad calls/no calls too. Just did not have high def replay on TV to scrutinize as closely.

More importantly the players have lost the old adage of "playing through" bad calls. They initiate calls to get to the line like never before. They complain constantly, even when they create the contact or do foul on a play. Yet they continue to complain, berate and be more demonstrative in their reactions. Many times when replay shows they are wrong.

Sure there are bad calls. Sure players get shafted. But lets be real. The refs are not going to get every call correct especially when so many calls are subjective.

Plat the game and stop worrying about the calls. Never going to be perfect or agreed upon by all. Even if they somehow over-analyzed every play on replay ( example of the NFL catch/no catch rules.)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Scrutiny and second guessing of the refs contributes but I also think the players have a part in the problem. Their reactions and expectations have become ridiculous too.

Twenty years ago there were bad calls/no calls too. Just did not have high def replay on TV to scrutinize as closely.

More importantly the players have lost the old adage of "playing through" bad calls. They initiate calls to get to the line like never before. They complain constantly, even when they create the contact or do foul on a play. Yet they continue to complain, berate and be more demonstrative in their reactions. Many times when replay shows they are wrong.

Sure there are bad calls. Sure players get shafted. But lets be real. The refs are not going to get every call correct especially when so many calls are subjective.

Plat the game and stop worrying about the calls. Never going to be perfect or agreed upon by all. Even if they somehow over-analyzed every play on replay ( example of the NFL catch/no catch rules.)

We're in an era when fans can freeze-frame or slow-mo any bad call, put it on the Internet, and get everyone riled up about the unfair call.

I don't know if there is an obvious or simple answer to improving calls. Human beings refereeing NBA games will have a much higher error rate than fans will ever find acceptable.

Combine that with the entitlement of a social media age, multiplying player's belief that they never commit a foul themselves or are fouled on every play.
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:

I agree we are officially an atrocious team. Not the refs fault we traded away some of our best players, and picked up the league’s worst player
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You and me both brother. I've never seen it this bad and that's including the period where the refs were on strike in '95. It's all over the place and these refs are doubling down by having a collective itchy trigger finger with techs.

The Thibodeau tech was the biggest load I've seen. Someone needs to be fined for that.

Van Exel flipped off one of those 95 scab refs behind his back. They were bad and yet some of them got hired by the NBA later on. I got an amusing game recap of LA at Sac from 11/95 where everyone was yelling at them. One of the weirdest gms I've ever seen. They bounced Garry St. Jean who was caught on camera yellilng, "You bleeping guys SUCK!" as he walked out. Del Harris also Frankenstein stomped out to the FT line in the first minute to scream illegal D at them.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I kind of want to be a ref as a second career when I'm older. Best ticket to the games, interact with players, support the Lakers more directly than I do now...hiring qualifications seem low, so I think I got a shot
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Refs this year

danzag wrote:
Seriously, this is the worst refereeing I've ever seen on the NBA.
And they don't get punished, they don't get suspended, nothing. It's (bleep) absurd.

I agree, in the T-pups game, every time the Lakers were bumped during a drive to the basket, there was no foul. Every time Minny missed an inside shot a foul was called on the Lakers.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Van Exel flipped off one of those 95 scab refs behind his back. They were bad and yet some of them got hired by the NBA later on. I got an amusing game recap of LA at Sac from 11/95 where everyone was yelling at them. One of the weirdest gms I've ever seen. They bounced Garry St. Jean who was caught on camera yellilng, "You bleeping guys SUCK!" as he walked out. Del Harris also Frankenstein stomped out to the FT line in the first minute to scream illegal D at them.

I remember when Nick gave a forearm shiver to a ref (Ron Garretson?). Magic followed it up a few months later with a chest bump to a ref. Good times!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
I kind of want to be a ref as a second career when I'm older. Best ticket to the games, interact with players, support the Lakers more directly than I do now...hiring qualifications seem low, so I think I got a shot

You went to the wrong high school most likely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/26/sports/26iht-NBA.1.6841374.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: