Jordan Clarkson & Larry Nance Jr. Appreciation Thread (Larry says Pelinka Story About Breaking Promise is False p.28)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject:

Loved both you guys and wish you well. We tune into some Cavs games and will root for your team now unless you are playing the Lakers. Make sure to tell LeBron how great it is in LA.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:
Laker fans were wrong about JC and Nance especially, I would’ve rather traded Julius Randle. We miss Nance’s defense and JC is a better player than IT at this point. Magic once again has traded away our youth for old washed up players 2 times in a row now, we were on a winning streak before the trade deadline now we’ve lost 3 in a row, I’m getting tired of this (bleep)

I never understood the need to help the Lebron James and the Cavs... first, it was Phil Jackson who did it, helping the cavs by trading JR Smith, Shumpert, etc... essentially helping the Cavs win the championship 2 years ago...

now, it's Magics turn helping a dead in the water Cavaliers get some life.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

These 2 will be missed. But there is a lot of blind hate around here just to bash the FO.

Trading these two even just to secure our chance at plate (even if we strike out) is what we needed.

Keeping them because they're 2 good bench guys (on a real team) and acting like bench players in the East should be our future franchise guys is a bit over the top.

Keeping this squad of good, developing and young role players gave us what we had. A fun to watch (because we're laker fans) 30-35 win team. MAYBE the playoffs AFTER a few seasons to develop consistency.

Don't let the "we need to see what happens" comments affect you as negatively as they're trying to sound. That opportunity is not what every crap team in the league can say after a single trade dealine after being locked up as badly as we were.

GO LAKERS! and good luck to those 2. They'll be missed for sure!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

I'll be honest. As a DLO fan, it took a while to get over the trade. I mean a long time.

It's fair to feel sad about JC/Nance going, b/c they were two very likeable guys who were late picks who really outpaced their draft status. At some point this thread will move to the general discussion and the summer will come and who knows, maybe we will forget about all our young guys who were traded.

Magic/Pelinka have a plan and if it comes to fruition, DLO/JC/Nance fans will all be able to move on. It's not summer yet so too soon to say otherwise.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:

I think we are one of the most pessimistic fanbases in the NBA. We are acting like we already whiffed on two FA agents this summer and next. We are acting like Luke won't develop into a great coach despite him being the youngest coach in the league. We are acting like none of guys can become stars in the near future

To me I see Magic and Pelinka coming through with their plan, Luke becoming a great coach and our young players making huge strides, and our team winning two championships over the Celtics.

I think there's a lot of residue left over from Mitch not being a strong closer. He was never able to get the Glengarry leads. That stuff plus years of being lousy affects our confidence to the point that some think we've been cursed and F'd by Stern ever since Chick died. Even I'm pessimistic because of past whiffs. I really hope they know that the guys they're targeting are in the bag. Kendall Gill once reneged on a verbal to us. Kobe once reneged on a verbal to the Clippers. Players can pull that when you think you've got em.

I hope they have a solid contingency plan in the event their first plan fails. They've said 2019 recently. I hope that doesn't happen. Another year of reading anti-FO posts as if we were killin it with Monotone Mitch and Jimbo (the Steve Bannon of owners). That D'Lo watch thread will still be up next year, I guarantee you. We're gonna be reading moaning about damn Clarkson and Nance for a looong time. How do I know? Because there were bleepers on this board who kept bringing up GD Javaris Crittenton after we dumped him. "We should bring Critt back." The MF had to KILL someone before his name was erased from the collective conscious.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
watchME wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
we will be lucky for the Cavs pick to net us a player that turn out to be better than Nance
LOL! so overrated. Compared to randle and kuz the guy is trash. 5-15mpg player on a championship team. These 2 games are fools gold.

Who needs a "trash " guy that does all the dirty work and hustles. Does those unimportant things like defend and rebound. A solid professional that plays smart and does his job without complaining about his playing time or jacking up bad shots to get his.

Yeah, no team needs a "trash" player like that.

Yes, those trash players likely cements Lebron ending his career in Cleveland (along with trash players from Sac and Utah).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Nance and Clarkson are playing off the charts. Since joining the Cavaliers I don't think they've lost a game. They seem to be, along with LeBron, having fun. They're both playing loose as a goose. Lebron is smiling again. I give them a shot at a ring.

Yeah they are 2-0. Now imagine if they were playing for the Cavs all year, they would be 56-0. That's something when you think about it...

That's stretched to 4 and rising. Magic put them in position to challenge GS. I think they'll win the East.

JC and Larry have been given a real shot at a ring this season. I'm happy for them.

Magic and Rob have a plan. I don't think Thomas is including in it, he's expiring and trade bait. His play is not making him attractive. I believe the plan is to get 2 high quality FA. Next season, competitors, in 2 3 contenders.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'll be honest. As a DLO fan, it took a while to get over the trade. I mean a long time.

It's fair to feel sad about JC/Nance going, b/c they were two very likeable guys who were late picks who really outpaced their draft status. At some point this thread will move to the general discussion and the summer will come and who knows, maybe we will forget about all our young guys who were traded.

Magic/Pelinka have a plan and if it comes to fruition, DLO/JC/Nance fans will all be able to move on. It's not summer yet so too soon to say otherwise.

Yes we know you're a DLO fan Yin haha...

I was the biggest DLO fan here, but accepted it right when he got traded. I do care that we don't have Clarkson & Nance. But it's more emotional for me with them. They added grit and had an on court personality that are very difficult to replace. I wish them well, but I wished they were still Lakers. They are perfect compliments to a championship team. Clarkson was a gym rat and Nance was like the mayor, greeting all the rookies and team building. Emplay said he was in ATL for work, so he decided to stop by the Cavs locker room during their away game. They were both happy to be there.

But as much as I miss them, I don't think I'll be lumped with DLO fans still complaining that he's no longer on the team. Dave is still around somewhere. And he's quite vocal over the loss of Clarkson. He'll be perfect for someone to make alliances with.

This could all blow up in our faces. We can be starting another 5 year rebuild. I'll still be here cheering for the Lakers regardless if the moves are good or bad.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

I understand getting attached to players. I do it too. But at the end of the day, this is still a 23-34 team. There aren't any top 50 players in the league on the team. We have to make moves if we're going to get anywhere. Like Magic said, we do not want to stay in the 11th spot.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

I was mad when the guy who was our centerpiece for 3 straight titles went to Miami, THAT was a loss that was tough to swallow. Dlo/Nance/JC are like-able guys but none of them are franchise-altering moves worth losing sleep over.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
I was mad when the guy who was our centerpiece for 3 straight titles went to Miami, THAT was a loss that was tough to swallow. Dlo/Nance/JC are like-able guys but none of them are franchise-altering moves worth losing sleep over.

You are probably the most right. It's not about emotions. It's about winning titles.
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

I love how people keep downgrading JC and Nance as just bench guys. How Deep were GS or CLE last year. How deep is SAS every year. You need depth and at least one All Star. Kobe suffered from years of teams that might have had another Allstar but zero depth, or a weird assortment of vets who were way past their prime.

We need one or two more players in their prime but they didn't have to be ALL STAR level players in my opinion. We lost a lot of games this year in the closing seconds because we didn't have anyone to take over (not at that point anyway).

Stepping up to the plate with room for two AllStars sounds great. But it could very easily have waited until next year. I think prying Lebronze and PG13 was a long shot in the beginning when it was first proposed. They might have talked it up to secure better deals from their teams but Magic didn't have a plan B, and now we have IT and Frye and a crap first rounder which may or may not be a good pick. We know JC and Nance can play. But we now have to risk the draft and hope we can find a player like Nance or JC at that pick.

Worst of all it destroyed this teams moral. We lost three games because we could not stop the other team. That drive to win this season just ran on fumes. This year, this long year of seeing hope and a light at the end of this long dark tunnel was snuffed out because Magic and the FO could not wait until next year to see where we are as far as a team.

If we don't get good FA this year, we will be told that it will only be another year and then after that year, another year again while we try out one year contracts with guys who should never put on a Laker uniform. But hey, I am sure we will land two AMAZING players in FA and that will catapult this team into the Playoffs like so many of the Kool-Aid fans like to think. Drink the Kool-Aid and wear those Nike's cause that kind of thinking is what made Jamestown so popular.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:
I love how people keep downgrading JC and Nance as just bench guys. How Deep were GS or CLE last year. How deep is SAS every year. You need depth and at least one All Star. Kobe suffered from years of teams that might have had another Allstar but zero depth, or a weird assortment of vets who were way past their prime.

We need one or two more players in their prime but they didn't have to be ALL STAR level players in my opinion. We lost a lot of games this year in the closing seconds because we didn't have anyone to take over (not at that point anyway).

Stepping up to the plate with room for two AllStars sounds great. But it could very easily have waited until next year. I think prying Lebronze and PG13 was a long shot in the beginning when it was first proposed. They might have talked it up to secure better deals from their teams but Magic didn't have a plan B, and now we have IT and Frye and a crap first rounder which may or may not be a good pick. We know JC and Nance can play. But we now have to risk the draft and hope we can find a player like Nance or JC at that pick.

Worst of all it destroyed this teams moral. We lost three games because we could not stop the other team. That drive to win this season just ran on fumes. This year, this long year of seeing hope and a light at the end of this long dark tunnel was snuffed out because Magic and the FO could not wait until next year to see where we are as far as a team.

If we don't get good FA this year, we will be told that it will only be another year and then after that year, another year again while we try out one year contracts with guys who should never put on a Laker uniform. But hey, I am sure we will land two AMAZING players in FA and that will catapult this team into the Playoffs like so many of the Kool-Aid fans like to think. Drink the Kool-Aid and wear those Nike's cause that kind of thinking is what made Jamestown so popular.

Let's be honest. If it was just Nance this post by you doesn't exist!
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:

This Kool-aid is delicious. You sound stressed, you should try some. It's very refreshing!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:

well said. Clarkson and Nance are two of the most hard working players we had, they are very coachable and didn't complain about the roles they were given, whether it was limited minutes, starting role or coming off the bench.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
LAL4K3RS wrote:

Let's be honest. If it was just Nance this post by you doesn't exist!

Problem is that it was JC and Nance and this post does exist because of that fact. You can say what you want about them not being more than bench players or role players but they had heart and they didn't take plays off or give up. See, I like that we had guys who scrambled for the ball on the floor and drove through traffic to deliver a touch pass to a wide open guy for an easy bucket on a fast break. Call me sentimental but the reason this trade hurt so much is that we took two guys who are worthy of the NBA and got a huge black hole of soul sucking narcissist back.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

In the end it seems Kuz and Hart made Larry and JC expendable.
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

With the rotations used by Luke, this statement makes zero sense. So I guess you want to make Ball expendable since we have IT now? Maybe we make other players expendable if they are not starters because we can win with just 5 players?

Do you remember the teams we had during Kobe's era that had almost no help from the bench and the best we could hope for is that they would last 8-10 minutes a game?

Bette to have plenty of pieces than to reduce our team to just the starters and a bunch of scrubs.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:
epak wrote:

With the rotations used by Luke, this statement makes zero sense. So I guess you want to make Ball expendable since we have IT now? Maybe we make other players expendable if they are not starters because we can win with just 5 players?

Do you remember the teams we had during Kobe's era that had almost no help from the bench and the best we could hope for is that they would last 8-10 minutes a game?

Bette to have plenty of pieces than to reduce our team to just the starters and a bunch of scrubs.

You don't think kuz and Hart showing some game didn't play into the FOs decision?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Right, with Kuzma’s lock down defense Nance wasn’t needed. It isn’t like they play the same position.
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

[quote="epak"]
LAL4K3RS wrote:
epak wrote:

You don't think kuz and Hart showing some game didn't play into the FOs decision?

I can say that Kuz is going to be a starter on this team, I have no doubt but Hart has had a handful of games and compared to the amount of games we saw JC and Nance play I hope they didn't make a snap decision like thinking Hart was on the same page as the other two.

And trading them to CLE gave them something they needed and took away something that was cancer in the locker room. WE made CLE a great place for LeBronze to stay. I didn't want LeBronze but we certainly didn't have to give them two pieces and take away a broken part in one gd trade either.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

I miss LNJ's sense of humor.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2760889-larry-nance-had-to-convince-mom-hes-not-living-at-home-after-trade-to-cavaliers
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

Just watched the Backstage Lakers episode where Nance and JC were traded and saying their goodbyes to the team
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:
..............Stepping up to the plate with room for two AllStars sounds great. But it could very easily have waited until next year. ............. This year, this long year of seeing hope and a light at the end of this long dark tunnel was snuffed out because Magic and the FO could not wait until next year to see where we are as far as a team.

Waiting until after this season is what I thought as well. Do you think the FO thought they would not be able to create the same type of cap space AFTER the season? If yes, do you think the FO is correct? I've seen other GMs create cap space at the last second.........
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/02/22/larry-nance-jr-to-wear-fathers-retired-no-22-cavaliers-jersey/

Quote:
Larry Nance Jr. to wear father’s retired No. 22 Cavaliers jersey

Larry Nance Jr. took on the 2018 NBA Dunk Contest in his dad’s old Phoenix Suns jersey, which was a nice nod to the father-son NBA duo. But Nance Jr. wanted to be able to wear his pop’s No. 22 jersey in Ohio despite the team retiring those digits some time ago.

Now, he has his wish.

According to the team, Nance Jr. will get to wear No. 22 the rest of the season. Nance Sr.’s banner will still hang at The Q in honor of his contribution to the franchise.

Via Twitter:

Dave McMenamin

@mcten
Larry Nance Jr. just announced before the game that he’ll start wearing his dad’s No. 22 starting next week. Nance Sr.’s No. 22 banner will still hang in The Q when he wears it. Tonight he’ll still be in No. 24.

6:55 PM - Feb 22, 2018
783 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Cleveland Cavaliers

@cavs
It’s official: @Larrydn22 will SOON be rocking number 22! #ThisIsWhyWePlay || #AllForOne

6:55 PM - Feb 22, 2018
587 people are talking about this
2h

Cleveland Cavaliers

@cavs
It’s official: @Larrydn22 will SOON be rocking number 22! #ThisIsWhyWePlay || #AllForOne pic.twitter.com/drdBkNEXL5

Cleveland Cavaliers

@cavs
"I'm thrilled. I've been wearing #22 for my whole life and to be able to wear it for the Cleveland Cavaliers is beyond a dream come true."

🎙: http://on.nba.com/2BI0mWB #AllForOne pic.twitter.com/7CZNHjQQwG

7:23 PM - Feb 22, 2018
View image on Twitter
212 people are talking about this
Will this spur a new round of jersey sales like the one prompted by Dwyane Wade‘s return to the Miami Heat? Probably not, although folks do dig those late-’80s and early-’90s Cavs uniforms. Perhaps the team should do a re-issue?

Shouts to the team for making a special accommodation for the Nance family. It’s nice to see a team not be so stiff about something this cool.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 17 of 28
Jump to: