BMW i3 now available with $20K in incentives
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: BMW i3 now available with $20K in incentives

Damn. Been thinking about upgrading my EV but want to wait until some nicer looking ones come out.

But then I just saw today that So Cal Edison is offering $10K discount for their customers and employees. Just bring in your bill and an ID and you get $10,000 off your final negotiated price.

Add in the $7,500 federal tax credit and the $2,500 CA state rebate and thats $20K in realized savings.

Damn, if it was a sexier car I’d be there right now. Still looks a little too EVish for me.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Here’s a link to the $10,000 discount offer for anyone interested: https://www.insideedison.com/stories/residential-customers-can-now-get-10-000-off-a-bmw-i3
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

From the link

SCE i3 Purchase Incentive

$10,000 i3 Purchase Incentive is available for SCE residential customers and employees on the purchase of a new BMW i3 or i3s. SCE residential customers and employees have to provide their own source of funding or finance through BMW Financial Services NA, LLC. Cannot be combined with other offers.

Tell us if you can get $20k off an i3.

Cheapest MSRP on my local lot is $46k.

I'd rather have a $36k 2018 Nissan LEAF or just get on the reservation list for a Tesla Model 3.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

What an ugly car.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
What an ugly car.

It has a non Western Culturally rewarded appearance.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

People still buy "luxury" cars? Never understand why people those overpriced horrific perplxed vehicles.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

What is the range on these? I see quite a few of them around here in LA....I know LAPD has a fleet of them that are barely used....
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
From the link

$10,000 i3 Purchase Incentive is available for SCE residential customers and employees on the purchase of a new BMW i3 or i3s. SCE residential customers and employees have to provide their own source of funding or finance through BMW Financial Services NA, LLC. Cannot be combined with other offers.

I'd rather have a $36k 2018 Nissan LEAF or just get on the reservation list for a Tesla Model 3.

They just put that there for legal reasons. You can combine it with fed and state rebates to get to $20K total. Just cant combine it with other sce offers
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
What is the range on these? I see quite a few of them around here in LA....I know LAPD has a fleet of them that are barely used....

114mi but you can add a range extender which gives you a small gas engine for longer trips.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Too ugly to warrant the remaining $30k. But thanks for the heads up fam
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised Honda and Toyota are lagging so much on electric cars. They are everywhere yet pretty much non-existent when it comes to bringing electric cars to market.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
From the link

They just put that there for legal reasons. You can combine it with fed and state rebates to get to $20K total. Just cant combine it with other sce offers

I meant BMW offers/dealer discounts.

You can get $10k off in Fed and State incentives on any BEV in CA.

Yeah, I would rather get 2018 LEAF with $6k in options rather than cheapest i3 on dealer lot. You can get ProPilot included in your LEAF for $36k, closest thing to Tesla AutoPilot.

Or better yet a Red Model 3.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Too ugly to warrant the remaining $30k. But thanks for the heads up fam

Haha yeah, in the end, I decided against it. I’m gonna wait a year. There shoud be some nicer looking EVs coming up this year and next.

But a $10K straight discount is nice, and I hope we see more of that in the coming months and years.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Overpriced but fun to drive. Takes a bit to get acclimated to the big greenhouse and possible one-pedal driving from the heavy regenerative brakes.

Hate to admit but the Bolt is the steal buy electric car so far. Even if the range drops to 200 instead of the 240 tops, it's still ahead of a lot of Tesla 75Ds and 60s.

I don't trust the next gen Leafs considering just how quickly their range dropped as batteries depleted much quicker than other vehicles.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I don't trust the next gen Leafs considering just how quickly their range dropped as batteries depleted much quicker than other vehicles.

That is the 2011-12 LEAFs that were sold in Arizona,Las Vegas and Palm Springs. Or where temperatures regularly get to 110 degrees. If you need room to hall Lazy Boys and want a drivers seat as comfortable get the LEAF. 2019 LEAF will have an optional liquid cooled 64 kWh pack for about the same price as a Bolt.

The Base Model 3 has double wishbone front suspension and 5 link independent rear suspension. And seats befitting a $35k car.

The Bolt has MacPherson strut front suspension,torsion beam rear suspension, and thin narrow front seats that are quite literally a PITA. And Hard LRR Michelin Energy Savor AS tires.

IF you need a microvan get the LEAF but if you want a sports sedan get the Model 3.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
People still buy "luxury" cars? Never understand why people those overpriced horrific perplxed vehicles.

LOL, Simple answer: Because they can afford it!

Personally I never understood people who can't afford to buy a luxury car complaining about people who do buy one.

Here I can help: if you ask anyone who has owned a luxury vehicle, they will tell you they are built better, better design, better leather, better components, better seats, etc.

People who have not owned one see only see four wheels, four doors, a steering wheel and a stereo..

One of the major misconceptions is that luxury cars are more reliable and except for Lexus, they pretty much are not.

You want reliable, buy a Honda or Toyota.

I'm not saying this to be snobbish, I plan to sell my 328i Coupe next year and get a Tacoma 4x4, and I am sure I will miss it, but I am buying for "need" not 'speed"...

cheers!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That is the 2011-12 LEAFs that were sold in Arizona,Las Vegas and Palm Springs. Or where temperatures regularly get to 110 degrees. If you need room to hall Lazy Boys and want a drivers seat as comfortable get the LEAF. 2019 LEAF will have an optional liquid cooled 64 kWh pack for about the same price as a Bolt.

That's not my experience. That's my personal experience even in So Cal. Hundreds of cars and personal inspections.

Quote:
The Base Model 3 has double wishbone front suspension and 5 link independent rear suspension. And seats befitting a $35k car.

I know of no one that actually has a stripped base model 3.

Quote:
The Bolt has MacPherson strut front suspension,torsion beam rear suspension, and thin narrow front seats that are quite literally a PITA. And Hard LRR Michelin Energy Savor AS tires.

While the Base Model 3 has the better general suspension platform, the Bolt is no slouch. People assuming that torsion beam rear suspension doesn't work and default to understeer haven't had the right alignment and tires in the first place. Also, it's an electric car. It SHOULD have Energy Saver tires.

https://electrek.co/2017/09/05/chevy-bolt-ev-autocross-event/

If there's one thing I can't stand about Tesla, it's the non-linear steering. Electric racks don't have to feel so sloppy to the point of driving 1960's muscle cars with so much slack. Honda, Mazda, Toyota, and Porsche have already perfected an electric steering rack with any kind of feel.

Quote:
IF you need a microvan get the LEAF but if you want a sports sedan get the Model 3.

Get a used Model S. A decently optioned Model 3 is right there in the price range as a Model S. Even a P85 is near, if not better range anyway. May as well get better value per dollar.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Conker wrote:

Personally I never understood people who can't afford to buy a luxury car complaining about people who do buy one.

Here I can help: if you ask anyone who has owned a luxury vehicle, they will tell you they are built better, better design, better leather, better components, better seats, etc.

People who have not owned one see only see four wheels, four doors, a steering wheel and a stereo..

One of the major misconceptions is that luxury cars are more reliable and except for Lexus, they pretty much are not.

I'm not saying this to be snobbish, I plan to sell my 328i Coupe next year and get a Tacoma 4x4, and I am sure I will miss it, but I am buying for "need" not 'speed"...

cheers!

One big misconception.

Luxury vehicle means "built better."

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Conker wrote:

cheers!

One big misconception.

Luxury vehicle means "built better."

Well, Mike that certainly clears things up...lol
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

Hey Mike (@) LG,

What upcoming, non-Tesla EVs, do you think are the ones to watch out for?

I'm keeping an eye on the Hyundai Kona Electric coming out in a couple weeks. I have two cars at the moment, an SUV and a Volt. I love having the SUV for home depot purchases, road trips, taking the dogs out, and the Volt is my daily commuter.

I'm thinking, I can trade both of them in if I can get an electric SUV, and some of the ugly colors aside, the Kona Electric seems to check all the boxes. Long range (290 mi), price point ($40K), and then I'll get the HOV access, plus never need gas again. And it doesn't look like a typical EV! haha

Thoughts on this car and others?

https://www.whichcar.com.au/media/8843/2018-hyundai-kona-rear.jpg
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Well, Mike that certainly clears things up...lol

It's very simple man. German engineering doesn't always translate to japanese levels of quality build. The difference is in the materials, but not in the process. Sometimes, it's just shocking to see.

I'm in a job right now where I inspect 40-50 cars per day, from the mundane to the McLaren 675LTs, Lamborghinis, whatever exotic is out there.

You know what I hate the most? German brands (Mercedes, BMW) that have interior paint chipping at 40,000-60,000 miles. "Quality."

Also, as someone that spent 3 years studying the different definitions of quality in the automotive world, you're probably addressing "robust" as in types of material, vs "reliability" as the process of how the car is built and how well each feature will repeatedly function.

Honda is able to make cars more affordable because at least they put the robust parts to where the touch points are, and cheapen out on the rest of the interior materials that don't really get touched.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hey Mike [AT] LG,

What upcoming, non-Tesla EVs, do you think are the ones to watch out for?

I'm keeping an eye on the Hyundai Kona Electric coming out in a couple weeks. I have two cars at the moment, an SUV and a Volt. I love having the SUV for home depot purchases, road trips, taking the dogs out, and the Volt is my daily commuter.

I'm thinking, I can trade both of them in if I can get an electric SUV, and some of the ugly colors aside, the Kona Electric seems to check all the boxes. Long range (290 mi), price point ($40K), and then I'll get the HOV access, plus never need gas again. And it doesn't look like a typical EV! haha

Thoughts on this car and others?

https://www.whichcar.com.au/media/8843/2018-hyundai-kona-rear.jpg

That's the direction I would go. Unfortunately, we're only at the brink of what major manufacturers can do with higher-likely mass production EV sales. Same rules apply. Never buy a 1st year.

Are we sure that it's 290 miles of range? I saw the European plate in the photo and they have different EPA standards/tests for measuring gas mileage and EV mileage.

Assuming that the Kona takes home 240 miles of range (just a hunch), and you just need a daily driver, yeah, I'd rock that.

Frankly, the EV I'm looking forward to most is the Porsche Mission-E. If a performance brand like Porsche brings their level of engineering and quality to the EV market, then you can possible acquire Tesla 100D level performance at potentially $10k to $20k less cost. They're projected a stripped model at $85k with faster charging possibilities (two ports?). At least I know I'll see the German engineering/quality/reliability out of that vehicle, especially with Porsche adopting over tech from the 918, 919 hybrid LeMan, and their current E-hybrid series.

There's not enough EVs sold for economy of scale to kick in and lower prices across the board. After all, that's how Tesla is doing their best to save $$$.

Frankly, I'm just waiting for a VW Golf equivalent with a Bolt EV powertrain. Even the Chevy Spark EV is underrated with all of that ridiculous torque.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks Mike. I got that from this article From Car and Driver’s blog. Apparently it has a 64 kwh battery.

Quote:
In a European press release ahead of the Geneva auto show—where the Kona EV will make its debut—Hyundai claims that the Kona Electric will achieve a range of 292 miles under the new European World Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP); from this, we wouldn’t be surprised to see the model earn a U.S. EPA range of at least 240 miles.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/2019-hyundai-kona-electrics-range-could-top-chevrolet-bolt-evs/
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

They make a beautiful 5 series with a plug-in hybrid engine I saw the other day. I'll still stick with my PIP until it dies though.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
They make a beautiful 5 series with a plug-in hybrid engine I saw the other day. I'll still stick with my PIP until it dies though.

I was looking at that one too! 530e I think it is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: