Will Jerry West get a fine for tampering?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I think it's probably a different standard since he's just a coach.

Oh, wait...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Over All-Star Weekend Adam Silver simply said stop talking about other team's players.This is blatant tampering by Jerry West. He didn't even try to hide it. I expect he will be fined for this.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
Magic's fine was just a couple of weeks ago. He must have known about the rule. He essentially he did what Magic did with Giannis. The tampering rule is stupid but he tampered with four players and his fine should be bigger.

It is not the same as Magic, ignore that all you want. When were the Clippers fined for tampering and told not to talk about players from other teams? Because that is what happened with Magic. Again, ignore that and keep up the incessant whining.

Please explain how what he said was any different than what Magic said about Giannis?

Listen to the Silver interview, it has nothing to do with what Magic said and everything about being a 3 time repeat offender.

Then I guess, based on what West said, he is a four-time offender!
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

I fear for Laker Nation when Paul George signs as a free agent with the Lakers, OKC files tampering charges and the NBA vetoes the deal, then Paul signs with the Clippers instead.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Will wait to see what happens. If he doesn’t at the minimum get a warning, then defintely a double standard in play.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
Magic's fine was just a couple of weeks ago. He must have known about the rule. He essentially he did what Magic did with Giannis. The tampering rule is stupid but he tampered with four players and his fine should be bigger.

It is not the same as Magic, ignore that all you want. When were the Clippers fined for tampering and told not to talk about players from other teams? Because that is what happened with Magic. Again, ignore that and keep up the incessant whining.

Except that Silver himself plainly, that Magic was fined because you simply can't talk about other teams players no matter what. He said 29 other teams have no problem keeping players names out of their mouths.

This alone should get West a fine. The fact he has history there and was the key recruiter for KD who is an upcoming free agent should get him a much bigger fin e similar to us with PG13.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

Except that Silver himself plainly, that Magic was fined because you simply can't talk about other teams players no matter what. He said 29 other teams have no problem keeping players names out of their mouths.

This alone should get West a fine. The fact he has history there and was the key recruiter for KD who is an upcoming free agent should get him a much bigger fin e similar to us with PG13.

This.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

He should, but he likely won't, because Magic's fine was an "extra emphasis" move by Silver
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers ended up getting fined for this too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
He should, but he likely won't, because Magic's fine was an "extra emphasis" move by Silver

I am sure that those of us who have kids, have had that one that when you tell them not to do something they do it to test you. You follow through or your credibility is shot. I do believe that minus the previous warning and fine, I don’t think Magic would have been talked to about his most recent remarks.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

Agree with this. Pettiness here is hilarious. Magic's dumb winking and comments about PG were disrespectful. As I said before, I have seen Jeannie say she can't comment on other team's players for years. Yet Magic can't take a hint. Can't clutch at straws moaning about comments like West's above when none of them did anything stupid and blatantly disrespected another organization like Magic did on Kimmel show.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

If Magic got $50,000 for his mild comments about Giannis, then Logo probably deserves $500,000 or so for this as it involves multiple players and is ten times worse.

Of course the NBA will do nothing as they don't enforce their rules uniformly on or off the court and are a very shady organization.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers ended up getting fined for this too.

LOL, exactly!
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

Agree with this. Pettiness here is hilarious. Magic's dumb winking and comments about PG were disrespectful. As I said before, I have seen Jeannie say she can't comment on other team's players for years. Yet Magic can't take a hint. Can't clutch at straws moaning about comments like West's above when none of them did anything stupid and blatantly disrespected another organization like Magic did on Kimmel show.

The Kimmel show was one thing, that was inappropriate, the Giannis fine was out of this world stupid. Rules are rules, past offences don't matter when determining if a rule was broke or not. The double standard is very real.
Vencal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
If Magic got $50,000 for his mild comments about Giannis, then Logo probably deserves $500,000 or so for this as it involves multiple players and is ten times worse.

Of course the NBA will do nothing as they don't enforce their rules uniformly on or off the court and are a very shady organization.

I agree Lanny!
I was very critical of the NBA for fining Magic for what he said about Giannis. I said Magic is a legendary NBA player who other players look-up to due to his standing as a NBA legend and the NBA is stupid to muffle their legendary players for saying GOOD things about current NBA players. It looked foolish to me then and I feel the same with Jerry here. I would make same argument that Jerry's role as an NBA legend (the actual Logo for goodness sake) gives him a special place so the NBA should view his comments as acceptable. It is just as dumb to fine Magic as it would be Jerry.

But the NBA set a precedent when they fined Magic, so they have backed themselves into a corner now. Adam Silver's comments regarding Magic's fine clearly said the League viewed active player and coaches as being able to make such positive comments on other team's player, but Silver drew the line at team owners/executives saying such things and Magic was fined due to him being a team exec and also the Lakers being warned before that the NBA was looking to stop such comments about players on other teams.

So taking Silver's own explanation of why Magic was fined would mean he is a world class hypocrite and liar if he doesn't fine Jerry. Some folks have commented in this thread that it is different because Magic/Lakers were warned before Silver fined Magic for talking after the League warned not to talk about players on other teams. Okay, wasn't Silver's fine to Magic and Silver's follow-up comments regarding team execs a warning that Jerry ignored and thus Jerry has now met Silver's rules to give Jerry a fine?
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

He should get fined. Lakers didn't get a warning. They got fined the first time.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

West should get fined. This is much closer to the Magic quote.

The Thibs one was laughable.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

So your saying the Lakers management can NEVER EVER talk about another player from another team because they were caught tampering? Taken in context, West did the same thing as Magic. I would bet NOTHING happens.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
He should get fined. Lakers didn't get a warning. They got fined the first time.

Sarcasm, I hope.

Unless you're overlooking both the Jimmy Kimmel interview and the time when the Lakers legitimately tampered earlier last year. Lakers were already on strike 3 for the Giannis fine.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject:

They're not going to fine the logo for tampering lol that is absurd. The guys been working in front offices for decades and knows the system better than anyone.

Magic is new to this thing and has been going around publicly telling anybody who will listen that he has two maxes to throw around and that it is his "plan". Like it or not he brought this scrutiny upon himself, of course any subsequent comments he makes will be taken differently to your usual team exec.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

Please explain how what he said was any different than what Magic said about Giannis?

Listen to the Silver interview, it has nothing to do with what Magic said and everything about being a 3 time repeat offender.

Your thesis is completely devoid of any legal ground.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Sarcasm, I hope.

Unless you're overlooking both the Jimmy Kimmel interview and the time when the Lakers legitimately tampered earlier last year. Lakers were already on strike 3 for the Giannis fine.

That means absolutely nothing.
Where did you find in NBA rules that tampering is punished on 2nd 3rd or millionth violation?
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I am sure that those of us who have kids, have had that one that when you tell them not to do something they do it to test you. You follow through or your credibility is shot. I do believe that minus the previous warning and fine, I don’t think Magic would have been talked to about his most recent remarks.

With your kids it is your right to do what you feel right.
Silver, instead, have to play by the rules, not following his feelings.
NBA rules, not Silver's will are the foundation of every possible fine or sanction.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

The Kimmel show was one thing, that was inappropriate, the Giannis fine was out of this world stupid. Rules are rules, past offences don't matter when determining if a rule was broke or not. The double standard is very real.

Past offenses do matter, that is why Magic was fined. Watch the Silver interview and educate yourself. Or just keep whining from a point of not understanding, your choice.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

rogers49 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

With your kids it is your right to do what you feel right.
Silver, instead, have to play by the rules, not following his feelings.
NBA rules, not Silver's will are the foundation of every possible fine or sanction.

And that was the basis for Magic’s fine.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: