OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 255, 256, 257 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject:

Got scouted, has played more basketball than ever before, playing against grown men. He's going to be a beast.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

Paying college athletes sounds like a good idea on the surface even though the players volunteered to play a game for their college. But once you hear experts arguments for and against paying college players, you realize how impractical it is and how it will likely never happen due to logistics and many other reasons. But really past the surface arguments which are full of loaded words such as “exploitation,& slavery” when referring to kids who volunteer to play games, there’s not a lot of substance to the arguments for pay and it’s just not a smart idea when you consider all the factors.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Paying college athletes sounds like a good idea on the surface even though the players volunteered to play a game for their college. But once you hear experts arguments for and against paying college players, you realize how impractical it is and how it will likely never happen due to logistics and many other reasons. But really past the surface arguments which are full of loaded words such as “exploitation,& slavery” when referring to kids who volunteer to play games, there’s not a lot of substance to the arguments for pay and it’s just not a smart idea when you consider all the factors.

programs and coaches get paid millions of dollars off the work of these young kids. They cant make any $ off their name even though they generate millions. They are not allowed to go to the NBA until 19 and 1 year post grad. So it is exploitation.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:

They've been paying college athletes since the beginning of college sports. Not all of them, but most of the big time schools break bread with the top players. That's why they kowtow to the boosters - those guys supply the $$$ to pay the players. I have an acquaintance who played RB at a major college program in the early 90s. He says the starting RBs were paid 2 grand a month and the second stringers got 1,300 a month.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
defense wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Ok but without the ncaa, there is likely no draft attendance. Though i guess its possible to go the route of Lamelo and Liangelo

Dont agree the college kids should get paid. They do get paid when they get in to the big leagues

Majority of them will never see the big leagues. I think they should be paid

If they aren’t good enough to see the big leagues, why should they be paid?

Because their work is generating a huge amount of revenue that they are not sharing in a meaningful way.

I can't believe anyone could really defend the hypocrisy of the NCAA, which is a huge money-making operation in the guise of being a scholarship program. It's the "Miss America" program without the swimsuit competition.

I don't blame athletes for taking money on the side, if they can get away with it. The NCAA is an icky outfit.

So what? The work of the NCAA is providing these kids platforms in which they can parlay that into a huge amount of revenue for themselves. There is nothing stopping a young player from going to school and getting an education and playing basketball in a different league, like a rec league or something else and making money on the side. It's not like playing in the NCAA is required by law. There is a value, in some cases substantial, to playing in the NCAA where they are getting the world's best coaching, knowledge, experience, at no cost to them, versus any other league they could play in.

Now I do agree with you that the athletes should be free to take money on the side.

To me, I look at it as no different than if a kid goes to business school and is a member of some campus club for entrepreneurs. They should be allowed to earn money through some entrepreneurial venture on the side rather than being barred from and penalized for doing so.

Anyway, free Kuz, because I agree, I don't care at all he took money on the side although I acknowledge is it is forbidden. But even if they were going to pay the players, which I disagree with, they still shouldn't forbid them from generating money on the side.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
How sure are we that he will go back to his early season form?

50 games is a good sample size , summer, preseason, earlier reg season.

Rookies are streaky

And players become who they are after a full season. An offseason of training will do wonders for him. Compared to most rookies, he is just getting a late start.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

programs and coaches get paid millions of dollars off the work of these young kids. They cant make any $ off their name even though they generate millions. They are not allowed to go to the NBA until 19 and 1 year post grad. So it is exploitation.

The NCAA has nothing to do with them not being able to go to the NBA. They can go pro instead of to college.
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

The biggest winners out of all this NCAA scam business will be the G-league.

Could you imagine if Adam Silver allowed high school graduates and international players aged 17+ to enter the G-league?

The high school players that would make that move, usually have already made their minds that school isn't for them.

Or the NCAA could just give them all stipends, but that doesn't stop a player from getting "extra" money.

The NCAA is in trouble.

They are the ones that need to be investigated.

The payment for players thing has been happening since the 80s. The NCAA knew it, everyone knows it, but only select schools receive the punishment. Before the internet became prevalent and information wasn't widely available, the NCAA were very picky in who they sanctioned.

During these times, there is no hiding. Major and marquee schools are being targeted and the NCAA is a mess.

NCAAF is a mess too.

Miami, Sooners, Ohio St, and USC were year in and year out the best schools in football until the BCS was created. A system that was created a few years after Disney acquired ABC, who owned ESPN. A couple of years after that, sanctions started to hit most of those schools, a couple years after that the SEC network was formed; that happened to be owned by Disney/ESPN. Magically, the SEC became so powerful and went on an amazing streak. Disney and ESPN made a lot of money hyping up their own product.

Now, the CFB committee was formed. Miami, Oklahoma and USC are finally starting to recover from their sanctions. The SEC isn't as strong and all of a sudden ESPN went on a money saving layoff spree.

I'd be damn if the NCAA wasn't involved in this mess.

unrelated rant/

TL;DR , the NCAA have been crooks and ye they act innocent in the midst of a storm.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

He's killing me right now. Weak link on the team ATM.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

How tall is this rookie wall that he hit? Damn.

Someone posted before that Kuz is just tall version of JC and I thought that was a crazy comparison. Now I dont think it is.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
How tall is this rookie wall that he hit? Damn.

Someone posted before that Kuz is just tall version of JC and I thought that was a crazy comparison. Now I dont think it is.

Multiple posters have said that. Not sure if ventura was the first one.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Y'all so crazy.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Lmfao it doesnt take long for people to pile on players. Dude was killing it for several months and FINALLY hits a rookie wall and gets called taller Clarkson
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

What's wrong with being a taller Clarkson as a rookie PF? Shooting better than he is.. mmk. Like he's not going to improve as a shooter and defender in the next couple years? People completely overlooking the fact that he's a rook.. He's had more big games than about 15 rookies in the past 3 years..
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Let's not forget about his playmaking upside as well
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

It seems to me like he's just hit the rookie wall. It's not uncommon.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

3 and a steal. Eat my shorts
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Good close out defense on Bagdanovichimachichi
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Played better in the 2nd half.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
defense wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Ok but without the ncaa, there is likely no draft attendance. Though i guess its possible to go the route of Lamelo and Liangelo

Dont agree the college kids should get paid. They do get paid when they get in to the big leagues

Majority of them will never see the big leagues. I think they should be paid

If they aren’t good enough to see the big leagues, why should they be paid?

Because their work is generating a huge amount of revenue that they are not sharing in a meaningful way.

I can't believe anyone could really defend the hypocrisy of the NCAA, which is a huge money-making operation in the guise of being a scholarship program. It's the "Miss America" program without the swimsuit competition.

I don't blame athletes for taking money on the side, if they can get away with it. The NCAA is an icky outfit.

It's the ultimate case of "because that's the way we've always done it." The NCAA model has been outdated for a couple decades at this point.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Kuz is doing all he can, his effort and hustle has been good and his defense is improving.
His shot is pure; no fret, his offense will eventually come back around.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Kuz is doing all he can, his effort and hustle has been good and his defense is improving.
His shot is pure; no fret, his offense will eventually come back around.

Agreed, Kuz is a winner. Impressed by his effort on D and the boards when the shot isn't falling. I don't think DLo ever showed the will to do that in the 2 years he was here.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

When I said he's a weak link on the team right now, I just meant in the context of these remaining games. He definitely hit the wall, which is completely reasonable given the number of games he's being asked to play for the first time in his career and all the minutes he had to absorb earlier in the season. I don't think he's gonna magically turn it around anytime soon, but I have absolutely no worry about him in the long term. Can't wait to see his progress this summer.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject:

Is it me or does he play less off the ball recently ?
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
Lmfao it doesnt take long for people to pile on players. Dude was killing it for several months and FINALLY hits a rookie wall and gets called taller Clarkson

His ceiling is definitely way higher than Clarkson’s...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 255, 256, 257 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 256 of 880
Jump to: