Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Were it up to me all of these overpaid college coaches would get the axe. I cannot for the life of me understand how we as a society pay these guys (talking about the ones employed by state schools) millions of dollars when they're not even working at the highest level.

They get paid that much because they bring in more money to the program than they take out. NCAA basketball is basically a semi-pro basketball league anyways.

Do they? Or do the successful ones bring in more money than they take out... and the rest have bloated salaries in attempt to compete?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Were it up to me all of these overpaid college coaches would get the axe. I cannot for the life of me understand how we as a society pay these guys (talking about the ones employed by state schools) millions of dollars when they're not even working at the highest level.

They get paid that much because they bring in more money to the program than they take out. NCAA basketball is basically a semi-pro basketball league anyways.

Do they? Or do the successful ones bring in more money than they take out... and the rest have bloated salaries in attempt to compete?

do you have an example? Its an extremely generic question without an example.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Sources: Bruce Pearl's job in jeopardy if he doesn't cooperate in Auburn investigation

Quote:
Auburn men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl is refusing to cooperate in the school's internal investigation into his program, and university officials have advised him that that his job is in jeopardy if he doesn't, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Report: FBI probe could affect top coaches, players and 'almost half' of top 16 seeds

Quote:
This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches," a source briefed on the details of the case told Yahoo Sports. "When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won't be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.

LINK
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Report: FBI probe could affect top coaches, players and 'almost half' of top 16 seeds

Quote:
This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches," a source briefed on the details of the case told Yahoo Sports. "When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won't be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.

LINK

I saw this. I love it. BURN IT DOWN. BURN DOWN THE NCAA! I would love the entire corrupt system to be exposed for what it is. Chaos.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I saw this. I love it. BURN IT DOWN. BURN DOWN THE NCAA! I would love the entire corrupt system to be exposed for what it is. Chaos.

I'm with you in principle. But, we'll see.

I can't help but wonder what about the corrupt NCAA itself, that essentially has allowed this stuff to go on while turning its head the other way for certain programs and not for others.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject:

Exclusive: Federal documents detail sweeping potential NCAA violations involving high-profile players, schools

Quote:
While three criminal cases tied to the investigation may take years to play out, the documents viewed by Yahoo revealed the extent of the potential NCAA ramifications from the case. The documents show an underground recruiting operation that could create NCAA rules issues – both current and retroactive – for at least 20 Division I basketball programs and more than 25 players.

LINK
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

Note that Kuzma is on the list.

Anyway, this doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. It shows that players were getting money, but I see no link to the programs. If the players took money, that affected their eligibility, but it isn't a basis for sanctions against the programs, at least standing alone.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

Why is Brendan Haywood, Jared Jefferies and Kyle Lowry receiving loans in 2015?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

It is a broken system.

Time to remove mens division I basketball and football from NCAA control and pay the players a stipend.

There is plenty of money to do so from what they generate.

The NCAA is corrupt and essentially are modern day plantation owners.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
It is a broken system.

Time to remove mens division I basketball and football from NCAA control and pay the players a stipend.

The NCAA is neither the good guys or bad guys whatever your opinion of the situation....however you feel, it should be about the member schools....the NCAA is simply the grouping of member schools. If the member schools wanted to pay the players, the NCAA would change the rules to represent those wishes.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
It is a broken system.

Or maybe the NBA can actually field a proper development league and get rid of their stupid one and done rule instead of making college basketball do the work for them. I think college basketball should be more like college football, give scholarships to kids that actually want to be there for more than one year. Let the kids go pro if they don't want to go to college.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Arizona's Sean Miller caught on wiretap discussing paying DeAndre Ayton, report says

Quote:
Arizona's Sean Miller caught on wiretap discussing paying DeAndre Ayton, report says

LINK
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Yep, this thing just got real. Adios, Arizona.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

He never heard of a burner phone apparently.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised that Ayton settled for so little in this market. His advisors are terrible!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
It is a broken system.

Or maybe the NBA can actually field a proper development league and get rid of their stupid one and done rule instead of making college basketball do the work for them. I think college basketball should be more like college football, give scholarships to kids that actually want to be there for more than one year. Let the kids go pro if they don't want to go to college.

Football's different. In fact, it may be worse than basketball. You have to go to college for 2 years. You can't just go pro after high school and unlike basketball, there's not much of an international presence.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
It is a broken system.

Football's different. In fact, it may be worse than basketball. You have to go to college for 2 years. You can't just go pro after high school and unlike basketball, there's not much of an international presence.

Well, I doubt anybody has the body type when they graduate in high school and attempt to play in the pros....they would get killed...when you think about how much faster the NFL is to college and how much of a jump high school kids have to make just to adjust to college. It is a pretty mammoth jump to go from playing high school football to the pros.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

^^^^almost nobody really has the body type to truly compete in professional basketball out of high school. I really cannot think of anyone beyond Lebron. Players are usually drafted out of high school (when it was allowed) simply based on potential and to prevent other teams from getting them. The difference is it is much easier to identify basketball prospects at this age than it is football prospects because physical development is so essential for a football player to compete. If a guy is 6'9", can shoot and has a good handle....the odds are solid that he will be a good basketball player in a few years....but for every Tom Brady, Adrian Peterson and Richard Sherman, there are countless guys that may appear to be better prospects @ 17 years old and never even start for the college team.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^^almost nobody really has the body type to truly compete in professional basketball out of high school. I really cannot think of anyone beyond Lebron. Players are usually drafted out of high school (when it was allowed) simply based on potential and to prevent other teams from getting them. The difference is it is much easier to identify basketball prospects at this age than it is football prospects because physical development is so essential for a football player to compete. If a guy is 6'9", can shoot and has a good handle....the odds are solid that he will be a good basketball player in a few years....but for every Tom Brady, Adrian Peterson and Richard Sherman, there are countless guys that may appear to be better prospects @ 17 years old and never even start for the college team.

The point is that you can literally die from playing football against grown men. I can just imagine some skinny 18 year old trying to compete against 300-400 pound NFL linemen.....not gonna be pretty. Basketball on the other hand isn't a full contact sport.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The point is that you can literally die from playing football against grown men. I can just imagine some skinny 18 year old trying to compete against 300-400 pound NFL linemen.....not gonna be pretty. Basketball on the other hand isn't a full contact sport.

true, but I still cannot imagine drafting football players out of high school even if that was not an issue....it would be a gamble with extremely low odds. if you look at the top 10 football recruits in the country this season, I would not be surprised if 5, 1 or even 0 ever wear an NFL uniform. Unless injured....we are pretty confident 5 or more of the top basketball recruits this year will play professional basketball.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Let the players get paid. The end.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Let the players get paid. The end.

paid by who? tell me how that would work? The reason they do not have the option to get paid in the US is because the NBA players association will not allow it. The NCAA and college basketball does not stop anyone from going pro....yet I see NBA player after NBA player get in front of a camera and be a hypocrite by saying to pay the athletes....when it is their own "protectionism" rules that are preventing these players from being paid professionals. There is no real or easy way to incorporate payments into college athletics.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

the fact that Arizona is playing Ayton tonight....when they have Miller on a recording approving a $100K payment.....tells me that Arizona knows there is no way out for them. We are not talking about a lunch or $1,000 loan. I assume they are basically saying F*** it. That program is likely "dirty" in too many ways to count.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
the fact that Arizona is playing Ayton tonight....when they have Miller on a recording approving a $100K payment.....tells me that Arizona knows there is no way out for them. We are not talking about a lunch or $1,000 loan. I assume they are basically saying F*** it. That program is likely "dirty" in too many ways to count.

I agree Adkindo, I can't believe they didn't sit out Ayton while this sorts itself out. And they haven't even fired Miller yet, ridiculous.

It isn't a surprise though, Arizona has been a dirty program for decades. Jason Terry demanding a housecleaning, yet he got busted for taking money himself while he was there.

Arizona, Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas are all dirty programs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: