LA Lakers Should Add Kawhi Leonard to List of Superstar Targets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

There's no real reason for the Lakers to trade for Kawhi if Deng is on their books, if so they'll wait til Kawhi is a FA
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
There's no real reason for the Lakers to trade for Kawhi if Deng is on their books, if so they'll wait til Kawhi is a FA

Yeah, I think it would be done if LeBron and PG signed, and they saw an opportunity to form a superteam in one summer fell swoop.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

But they don't have the salaries to trade to get Kawhi without Deng, can't assume sign and trades
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
But they don't have the salaries to trade to get Kawhi without Deng, can't assume sign and trades

Can't the Lakers just absorb Kawhi into their cap space?
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Randle sign early for less is funny to me, no offense

Not that funny to me. There are only a handful of teams with cap-room to start him at a deal north of $10m and he will realize very quickly that most teams with cap-room won't have interest in him.

If those few teams with interest go in another direction, he may be looking at the MLE as his best offer.

A 3 yr, $35m with a Player option in year 3 starting at say $10.7 may be best deal out there.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Lakers have cap space for 3 stars

Randle probably gets a good offer from Dallas
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Lakers have cap space for 3 stars

Randle probably gets a good offer from Dallas

Is that based on intel / league chatter or just speculation?

If Dallas goes in a different direction or realizes they are the only team competing for him, it will completely lower their offer too.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

From what I hear he'll get a competitive offer from Dallas
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Thanks Eric. We have been speculating but that is all we have to offer, speculation.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma and Ingram??? HELL NO!!!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Randle takes up $12.4 mil of cap space - Lakers have until they officially match an offer - he takes up $12.4 mil after signing an offer sheet but on matching whatever his actual salary may be

Thanks!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Any sense what type of range competitive would be? Obviously impossible to know exactly but do you have any sense of it?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Probably 18 mil range imo
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Wow. I hope not, because if that's the #, I don't see us retaining him.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

18 million is more than I want to pay, but if Lopez, KCP, and IT are gone, we are going to pay it if the 2 max plan fades away.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Emplay, can you confirm the players Dallas would have to renounce in order to make an offer of +$15m to Randle?

Would they still be able to keep cap holds for McDermott, Seth Curry, Yogi Ferrell? Is this assuming they forego the team option on Dirk and sign him to say the minimum?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
emplay wrote:

Wow. I hope not, because if that's the #, I don't see us retaining him.

Yeah, yikes that's way too much. I'll miss ya, Julius
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo - depends on Wes - if he opts in - then maybe they lose Curry but keep Yogi, Maxi, DFS, McD but let Curry go - use Room Exception to sign Dirk if he wants to stay - $17.8 mil starting for Julius - in theory - where the first lands changes the math as well, that's a really high first est.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Given the FA landscape, I would be shocked if Dallas offered him $18m a year.

There is just no reason to offer that much. You need to be the highest offer and make an offer high enough that the Lakers think twice about matching.

The Lakers will think twice about matching anything over his cap-hold and I can't see anyone else making him an offer north of $14m....

So what drives Dallas from say $14m to $18m?
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Zubolo - depends on Wes - if he opts in - then maybe they lose Curry but keep Yogi, Maxi, DFS, McD but let Curry go - use Room Exception to sign Dirk if he wants to stay - $17.8 mil starting for Julius - in theory - where the first lands changes the math as well, that's a really high first est.

Thanks Emplay! Hmm... yeah that's not good. If Dallas does make him that offer, I will probably give Lebron 48 hours to make his decision, otherwise I just match.

I guess I was of the impression that Dallas was very high on Seth Curry (as am I).

Last edited by Zubolo on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
emplay wrote:

Hmm... that sucks. If Dallas does make him that offer, I will probably match it if Lebron can't give me a decision within 48 hours.

Assuming we sign PG13 as well, I will also go ahead and sign Seth Curry to the remaining cap space of about $15m for one year with a plan to sign him to the room exception in subsequent years($4.7m per year). This will at least put us in position to go after Kawhi in 2019 as well, assuming we can rid ourselves of Deng''s final year using a 1st round pick (maybe include a second).
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

I will be pretty disappointed if we end up blowing up our core for a quick championship run. Sometimes its better to just let things develop organically.

On the flipside, if somehow we did end up trading Ingram, Deng and Kuzma for Kawhi and Brandon Paul, these are some free agents I think we could land for the vet min: Tony Parker, Jeff Green, Marco Bellinelli. We can keep Channing Frye as well for the vet min and go out and get someone like Ed Davis for the room exception ($4.4m).

C - Ed Davis/Zubac/Bryant
F - Lebron/Jeff Green/Frye
F - Kawhi/Josh Hart/2nd round pick
G - PG13/Bellinelli/Brandon Paul
G - Ball/Cavs 1st round pick/Tony Parker

I would still rather just sign PG13, Randle and go after Kawhi in 2019 as a FA.

Last edited by Zubolo on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
emplay wrote:

Hmm... that sucks. If Dallas does make him that offer, I will probably match it if Lebron can't give me a decision within 48 hours.

Assuming we sign PG13 as well, I will also go ahead and sign Seth Curry to the remaining cap space of about $15m for one year with a plan to sign him to the room exception in subsequent years($4.7m per year). This will at least put us in position to go after Kawhi in 2019 as well, assuming we can rid ourselves of Deng''s final year using a 1st round pick (maybe include a second).

I just don't see Seth Curry commanding $15MM for one year. I don't even think he can get $6MM per year for more than 2 years, not in this market. Lou Williams just took $8MM a year. I realize he's older, but his production dwarfs that of Seth by a million miles.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
emplay wrote:

I just don't see Seth Curry commanding $15MM for one year. I don't even think he can get $6MM per year for more than 2 years, not in this market. Lou Williams just took $8MM a year. I realize he's older, but his production dwarfs that of Seth by a million miles.

Heck, if he'll take $5-6M per year for 2 years, I'm signing him on the spot.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
emplay wrote:

Heck, if he'll take $5-6M per year for 2 years, I'm signing him on the spot.

I have interest in Seth if he can pass a physical (gotta make sure the leg is OK) and if we go the route where we don't get the 2 maxes, but where we sign at least a couple of players to good value contracts. I think he would fit what we do pretty well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: