LA Lakers Should Add Kawhi Leonard to List of Superstar Targets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Emplay,

Also wanted to ask if you have any sense that Dallas could pursue Aaron Gordon instead of Julius (or concurrently, I suppose, though I know they couldn't sign both to offer sheets), and if so, what you think his market value might be or what they might offer? Thanks.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
emplay wrote:
Probably 18 mil range imo

Wow. I hope not, because if that's the #, I don't see us retaining him.

Yeah, yikes that's way too much. I'll miss ya, Julius

Would suck to lose Jules. He's earned a payday. If Nerlens had just taken the offer he got from Dallas they wouldn't have the space to push the Lakers. Now Randle is probably going to eat his lunch.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
emplay wrote:

Would suck to lose Jules. He's earned a payday. If Nerlens had just taken the offer he got from Dallas they wouldn't have the space to push the Lakers. Now Randle is probably going to eat his lunch.

It comes full circle with Rich Paul, aka KCP's agent, aka LeBron's agent, aka Noel's agent
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
emplay wrote:

It would suck and the FO should catch holy hell if it happens.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

My opinion is Lakers are on the road to success if they don't get too greedy and break up a good young core. Yes would sign superstar free agents as can afford them. But NOT at the expense of giving up more assets.
Warning: dont give up 2 valuable first round draft choices to dump Deng. He has shafted LA enough. Stretch him this summer and call it a terrible business decision.
Keep Randle at a reasonable contract. His future is ahead not behind.
KCP may be the same but only if accepts a reasonable contract.
Lopez is on downside and only reasonable.
IT is TBD.
Offer PG the max this summer and see what happens. But be careful as the league would love to ding the Lakers with tampering.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm good if next season we

Signed PG...max
Resigned Randle
Signed Noels (defensive center)

Kept the rest of the core

I think we'd actually be pretty damn good next year and challenge the dubs in 3 as they grow

Randle is undersized but is slowly but surely "getting it"...he's a combination of bully ball plus quickness for a guy his size. We just can't leave him on an island vs guys like embiid (hence why we get a Noels for defense). Otherwise he just fits with what we try to do and really don't want to lose him.

Gutting almost the whole squad to go with the pipe of Lebron PG and say even Leonard...just not feeling it to be honest, even if we could do it.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Don't think you want noel
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Fine, just give me PG and JR and a serviceable defensive center that can run the floor
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

Domantas Sabonis & DeMar DeRozan

I really like the low post game of Sabonis and his shot selection. He would be great with IT and Ball running a pick and roll.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfjOQ2MWd0o
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
emplay wrote:

Lakers in a tough spot because he puts things together in the year before he hits the market. So many players do this and then don't continue that forward momentum after they get paid. Definitely a risk to give him a huge contract.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I think the price for Randle will be determined by the league - I somehow think Dallas is not going to offer its full maximum of $18 million, just to watch LA stretch it out to the deadline before resigning him. Now I could see Dallas offering the full $18 million on a multi-year deal for IT, I think that would make more sense.

On the topic, I think Kawhi Leonard is this year's Russell Westbrook. We thought the former UCLA PG would wait or force his way here, instead he stays in OKC, even with Harden and Durant gone. Kawhi may actually want out of SA, but why would he want to come here particularly? Does he have some LA ties or interests?
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

TBH, its a much better idea to get Kawhi over LBJ. He is younger and definitely has more left in the tank. Plus, he shoots ways better than LBJ and will be a better fit with Lonzo.
Icaruz
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

The more that this drama with Kawhi develops, I'm starting to think that its not Kawhi that wants out but its the Spurs that wants him gone

1. Based on reports, its the Spurs that are leaking all these negative press about Kawhi and there are strong speculation that Popovich is behind the Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili comments. Pop even took a jab himself on Kawhi. This will cause major locker room issue if/when Kawhi return

2. This season proof that the Spurs remains a playoff team despite Leonard absent. So its a preview of life after Kawhi

3. Kawhi is injury prone. and have his issues. Is he worth a super max to the spurs given that they are an aging team with Parker/Ginobili on their last leg and Pau probably on his last (major) contract

4. If Kawhi signs the super max then 19-20 season the Spurs get about 100 million invested in Kawhi, Pau, Aldridge and Patty Mill

5. If the trade Kawhi Lenard they will get major pieces back. Say they trade with Boston and get back Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Kings 2019 pick, and some other assets. They can package some asset in summer of 2019 to get rid of Pau Gasol salary. Then they would have enough salary to go after a max....Thus having a roster of Aldridge, Max UFA, Patty Mill, Tatum, Brown, High Kings 1st pick and with salary cap to spare

So to me this makes it very attractive for Spurs to attempt to trade Kawhi. Given that, they would need to appear not desperate, which i think its what they are doing.

We know that like 29 teams will be looking to call the Spurs on Kawhi after the season. The Spurs is pretending to not care and that only an extreme over payment would get the trade done. But in fact, IMO, they are quite desperate about getting something done before they will have to give Kawhi that super max.

So lets see, I hope that Lakers don't get sucker into over paying for him...I think the Celtics is a good candidate to do that though
alohalakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm cautiously optimistic that the Mavs don't make an offer to Julius. First, Cuban seems to have fully embraced tanking this season after trying to assemble a mediocre squad to help Dirk make the playoffs the past few years.
From Cuban's perspective, it's more likely than not that the Lakers match an 18 million offer anyway, so there is a big chance that the Mavs miss out on all the impact FAs if they try to sign Randle.

Second, if the Mavs do get Randle, then they have $18 million in Randle and $24 million in Harrison Barnes - that's $42 million in cap space tied up in two non - all star players. Not a total salary cap killer, but not an attractive roster to marquee free agents.

Cuban probably realizes that he needs to "process" the hell out of the next few seasons, continue to acquire young talent through tanking in the draft, get out from under Barnes contract and then when his young core is built up and still on their rookie contracts, go after a marquee free agent at that time.

For the Mavs going after Randle would be a stop gap measure, IMHO, and not really help the team in the long term. Having Randle would make it tougher for the team to tank.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Icaruz wrote:

So lets see, I hope that Lakers don't get sucker into over paying for him...I think the Celtics is a good candidate to do that though

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

on the cheap, low risk/high reward deal....I would.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
emplay wrote:

It would suck and the FO should catch holy hell if it happens.

Randle proc d he's worth an investment, thing is how much and hope
another team doesn't up the bet.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
emplay wrote:

on the cheap, low risk/high reward deal....I would.

I'll pass on Noel, the man has personal issues we don't need.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Icaruz wrote:
The more that this drama with Kawhi develops, I'm starting to think that its not Kawhi that wants out but its the Spurs that wants him gone

1. Based on reports, its the Spurs that are leaking all these negative press about Kawhi and there are strong speculation that Popovich is behind the Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili comments. Pop even took a jab himself on Kawhi. This will cause major locker room issue if/when Kawhi return

2. This season proof that the Spurs remains a playoff team despite Leonard absent. So its a preview of life after Kawhi

3. Kawhi is injury prone. and have his issues. Is he worth a super max to the spurs given that they are an aging team with Parker/Ginobili on their last leg and Pau probably on his last (major) contract

4. If Kawhi signs the super max then 19-20 season the Spurs get about 100 million invested in Kawhi, Pau, Aldridge and Patty Mill

5. If the trade Kawhi Lenard they will get major pieces back. Say they trade with Boston and get back Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Kings 2019 pick, and some other assets. They can package some asset in summer of 2019 to get rid of Pau Gasol salary. Then they would have enough salary to go after a max....Thus having a roster of Aldridge, Max UFA, Patty Mill, Tatum, Brown, High Kings 1st pick and with salary cap to spare

So to me this makes it very attractive for Spurs to attempt to trade Kawhi. Given that, they would need to appear not desperate, which i think its what they are doing.

We know that like 29 teams will be looking to call the Spurs on Kawhi after the season. The Spurs is pretending to not care and that only an extreme over payment would get the trade done. But in fact, IMO, they are quite desperate about getting something done before they will have to give Kawhi that super max.

Boston wouldn't have to give up close to that for Kawhi. If he doesn't get the supermax this summer (either if the Spurs don't want to offer it or if he doesn't accept it), the entire league will know that the Spurs have no choice but to trade him, as a lame duck player entering the final year of his deal and when everyone would know that he wouldn't be re-signing there. In other words, they will not have the leverage. The Spurs would be lucky to get Jaylen Brown and the Kings' pick for him. I don't see why Tatum would be on the table. If the Lakers made an offer, they would be lucky to get more than Ingram and a pick for him. Ingram and a sign-and-traded Randle would be a big get for them, given the circumstances.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Boston wouldn't have to give up close to that for Kawhi. If he doesn't get the supermax this summer (either if the Spurs don't want to offer it or if he doesn't accept it), the entire league will know that the Spurs have no choice but to trade him, as a lame duck player entering the final year of his deal and when everyone would know that he wouldn't be re-signing there. In other words, they will not have the leverage. The Spurs would be lucky to get Jaylen Brown and the Kings' pick for him. I don't see why Tatum would be on the table. If the Lakers made an offer, they would be lucky to get more than Ingram and a pick for him. Ingram and a sign-and-traded Randle would be a big get for them, given the circumstances.

think your underestimating the leverage the Spurs would have....leverage would be created by the market, and nearly every team is going to consider making a strong offer for a player like Kawhi. It is almost unheard of for a player like him to be on the trading block.
tofulakers
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject:

I would make Kawhi the #1 target instead of PG and Lebron. But, I wouldn't want to give up Kuz and/or BI to get him.

If we can get PG first, then wait for Kawhi in 2019 that would be ideal.

I don't want Lebron, he's not worth the baggage.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

think your underestimating the leverage the Spurs would have....leverage would be created by the market, and nearly every team is going to consider making a strong offer for a player like Kawhi. It is almost unheard of for a player like him to be on the trading block.

Yes but he's also a free agent after next season. Teams will want to make sure that he is interested in resigning with them before making a offer. If Kawhi gives them a very short list it takes away some of that leverage
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Not that "blog bois" know anything, but listening around the podcast world, the sense I'm getting from some talking heads:

Bill Simmons & The Ringer people Celtics would only dump Tatum for Anthony Davis. They'll offer all the picks they have (Kings, Grizzles & Clippers protected picks, and maybe Jaylen Brown) but Leonard doesn't tickle their fancy

Open Floor (Sports Illustrated people) The Spurs have no leverage and would be LUCKY to get Brandon Ingram in a trade, that's their BEST-case scenario (again, according to talking heads)

Dunc'd On with Leroux and Nate Duncan Juancho [sp?] Hernangomez and Thon Maker are better than Brandon Ingram, Jamal Murray is a hall-of-famer, and net rating something or other... huh? what were we talking about again?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yes but he's also a free agent after next season. Teams will want to make sure that he is interested in resigning with them before making a offer. If Kawhi gives them a very short list it takes away some of that leverage

Another option could be him signing a super max deal after next season.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

Kahwii LEonard and Brandon PAul
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: