Report: LeBron James increasingly frustrated with how he's officiated
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClemensBriels
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:
In the 2016 finals through 6 games, LeBron & Kyrie combined for 149 drives and 62 free throw attempts. In those same 6 games Steph & Klay combined for 69 drives and 55 free throw attempts.

But it's rigged for LeBron though!!!

being fair is not about giving each team the same number of free throws. these numbers dont say anything about the type of contact resulting in the free throws, which is where all of the importance lies.

So what's the explanation for the discrepancy?
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

ClemensBriels wrote:
In the 2016 finals through 6 games, LeBron & Kyrie combined for 149 drives and 62 free throw attempts. In those same 6 games Steph & Klay combined for 69 drives and 55 free throw attempts.

I have no idea if those numbers are accurate, but drives doesn't mean Lebron/Kyrie were automatically fouled. You would have to watch every drive to make a call on that. Bogut/Draymond are good rim protectors. Obviously every drive isn't a shot. Cavs love to drive and kick for the 3.

As for the Steph/Klay numbers they shot 56 total free throws in the 2016 finals. So again I don't know if those numbers are accurate. I do know Curry was held/grabbed pretty much the entire finals which the Cavs seem to be the only team that seems to be allowed to do that. For 2 straight finals. Then you had that game 6 Stephen Curry foul out game where they pretty much just screwed him after all the contact they allowed on him all series.

Even you gotta admit that game 6 was odd with all the contact that was allowed on Steph/Klay prior in those finals. Not to mention the Draymond suspension that Lebron publicly lobbied for.

With that said it is not as if the Warriors don't get away with stuff. Warriors/Cavs are both the NBA's darlings. Lebron has just been a darling for far longer.
ClemensBriels
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:

I have no idea if those numbers are accurate, but drives doesn't mean Lebron/Kyrie were automatically fouled. You would have to watch every drive to make a call on that. Bogut/Draymond are good rim protectors. Obviously every drive isn't a shot. Cavs love to drive and kick for the 3.

As for the Steph/Klay numbers they shot 56 total free throws in the 2016 finals. So again I don't know if those numbers are accurate. I do know Curry was held/grabbed pretty much the entire finals which the Cavs seem to be the only team that seems to be allowed to do that. For 2 straight finals. Then you had that game 6 Stephen Curry foul out game where they pretty much just screwed him after all the contact they allowed on him all series.

Even you gotta admit that game 6 was odd with all the contact that was allowed on Steph/Klay prior in those finals. Not to mention the Draymond suspension that Lebron publicly lobbied for.

With that said it is not as if the Warriors don't get away with stuff. Warriors/Cavs are both the NBA's darlings. Lebron has just been a darling for far longer.

It's the playoffs. No, it's the (bleep) finals. Players are allowed to grab and (bleep) in the playoffs. Just because Steph looks like he's 12 doesn't mean the league is going to handicap for him.

Kawhi was allowed insane amount of hand checking he was allowed on LeBron a couple years ago in the finals but y'all never even took note of that.

As for the bolded, that must be why his free throw rate is so low for how much time he spends in the paint.

Y'all are the same people who say the game isn't tough enough "like it was in the 90's."

And they let two of the greatest teams of all time get physical with each other (act like Draymond isn't a goon and a lot of his game isn't propelled by intimidation) and you guys say they are BOTH the NBA's darlings. Lmao.

All superstars get away with stuff sometimes. You guys just watch a few games of LeBron's per year and a few playoff games and blow out of proportion the calls he gets.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

ClemensBriels wrote:
eureca wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:

It's the playoffs. No, it's the (bleep) finals. Players are allowed to grab and (bleep) in the playoffs. Just because Steph looks like he's 12 doesn't mean the league is going to handicap for him.

Kawhi was allowed insane amount of hand checking he was allowed on LeBron a couple years ago in the finals but y'all never even took note of that.

As for the bolded, that must be why his free throw rate is so low for how much time he spends in the paint.

Y'all are the same people who say the game isn't tough enough "like it was in the 90's."

And they let two of the greatest teams of all time get physical with each other (act like Draymond isn't a goon and a lot of his game isn't propelled by intimidation) and you guys say they are BOTH the NBA's darlings. Lmao.

All superstars get away with stuff sometimes. You guys just watch a few games of LeBron's per year and a few playoff games and blow out of proportion the calls he gets.

Why do you keep saying you guys? I'm one person. I am not blowing anything out of proportion. I have no horse in that race like you do. And to be honest I would prefer if Lebron beats the Warriors. Just calling it like I see it.

The Warriors offense has a lot to do with Curry running through screens in previous series he was allowed to move freely. If anyone should be complaining about the 2016 finals which you brought up it should be him not Lebron imo. Which was my point. The calls only changed when they played the Cavs. Fine if you don't want to call holding fouls but when it changes only for 1 series than yes it comes off as suspect.

As for preferential treatment it is not defined just by free throw attempts. Lebron is one of the most hands on defenders in the NBA. He gets away with so many fouls in his career and is never in foul trouble. He complains all the time and never gets techs. He has been known to be one of the most egregious travelers in the league. He very publicly got Draymond suspended from GAME 6 OF THE NBA FINALS! For a small smack from Draymond when OKC couldn't get him suspended for punting Steven Adams in the balls. Even just last night Warriors/Cavs. Draymond gets a flagrant foul for literally just trying to strip the ball from Lebron. The man that can punt guys in the balls all of a sudden can't even try to steal the ball from Lebron.

A Lebron flop on a normal NBA play has been known to draw a flagrant foul call. Just ask Tyson Chandler.

So his rep for getting preferential treatment comes from multiple things not just free throws.
ClemensBriels
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:
eureca wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:

Why do you keep saying you guys? I'm one person. I am not blowing anything out of proportion. I have no horse in that race like you do. And to be honest I would prefer if Lebron beats the Warriors. Just calling it like I see it.

The Warriors offense has a lot to do with Curry running through screens in previous series he was allowed to move freely. If anyone should be complaining about the 2016 finals which you brought up it should be him not Lebron imo. Which was my point. The calls only changed when they played the Cavs. Fine if you don't want to call holding fouls but when it changes only for 1 series than yes it comes off as suspect.

As for preferential treatment it is not defined just by free throw attempts. Lebron is one of the most hands on defenders in the NBA. He gets away with so many fouls in his career and is never in foul trouble. He complains all the time and never gets techs. He has been known to be one of the most egregious travelers in the league. He very publicly got Draymond suspended from GAME 6 OF THE NBA FINALS! For a small smack from Draymond when OKC couldn't get him suspended for punting Steven Adams in the balls. Even just last night Warriors/Cavs. Draymond gets a flagrant foul for literally just trying to strip the ball from Lebron. The man that can punt guys in the balls all of a sudden can't even try to steal the ball from Lebron.

A Lebron flop on a normal NBA play has been known to draw a flagrant foul call. Just ask Tyson Chandler.

So his rep for getting preferential treatment comes from multiple things not just free throws.

You can't prove any of that (bleep). You come at me with that 100% conjecture and hyperbole post than tell me you're not biased. Lol I'm done
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:

It's obvious that you have a dog in that fight when you assert that Draymond tried to strip the ball on the flagrant call last night. No ... no, he didn't try to strip the ball. I repeat ... by his own words, he didn't try to strip the ball. Go to 0:22 of the video link below. He committed an excessive, flagrant foul. Refer to the NBA rulebook if you're still unclear on that point. And if you don't want others to call B.S. on your position, don't just make (bleep) up to suit your agenda. That works in politics. It doesn't work everywhere else.

eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
eureca wrote:

It's obvious that you have a dog in that fight when you assert that Draymond tried to strip the ball on the flagrant call last night. No ... no, he didn't try to strip the ball. I repeat ... by his own words, he didn't try to strip the ball. Go to 0:22 of the video link below. He committed an excessive, flagrant foul. Refer to the NBA rulebook if you're still unclear on that point. And if you don't want others to call B.S. on your position, don't just make (bleep) up to suit your agenda. That works in politics. It doesn't work everywhere else.

That still doesn't make it a flagrant. I watched the play whether Draymond was thinking stop the break or not his hand went towards the ball in the video and that is what I saw. His arm was no where near Lebron's neck or head. It was a common foul. If it was any other player it would have been ball out of bounds and not even spoken about.

No I didn't read Draymond's mind to know he was trying to foul Lebron to stop the break. Nor did I have an interest in watching post game interviews after a boring ass game. I saw Draymond's hand go towards the ball so why wouldn't I think he is trying to strip the ball? How is that a crazy thought that I "made up"?

You obviously have a much more vested interest in Lebron matters seeing how angry you are getting about this. And I meant I have no horse in the race as in I am not a fan of the Warriors or Cavs. Like ClemensBriels is. Whether one or the other wins it all it is not going to really affect me. I never said I didn't have a preference I clearly stated I would like to see the Cavs win over the Warriors. Mainly because of the Durant thing. Last season I wanted the Warriors to beat the Cavs. Mainly because of Dan Gilbert. After the Cavs won I was happy for them and really didn't care.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
the association wrote:
eureca wrote:

That still doesn't make it a flagrant. I watched the play whether Draymond was thinking stop the break or not his hand went towards the ball in the video and that is what I saw. His arm was no where near Lebron's neck or head. It was a common foul. If it was any other player it would have been ball out of bounds and not even spoken about.

No I didn't read Draymond's mind to know he was trying to foul Lebron to stop the break. Nor did I have an interest in watching post game interviews after a boring ass game. I saw Draymond's hand go towards the ball so why wouldn't I think he is trying to strip the ball? How is that a crazy thought that I "made up"?

You obviously have a much more vested interest in Lebron matters seeing how angry you are getting about this. And I meant I have no horse in the race as in I am not a fan of the Warriors or Cavs. Like ClemensBriels is. Whether one or the other wins it all it is not going to really affect me. I never said I didn't have a preference I clearly stated I would like to see the Cavs win over the Warriors. Mainly because of the Durant thing. Last season I wanted the Warriors to beat the Cavs. Mainly because of Dan Gilbert. After the Cavs won I was happy for them and really didn't care.

It's hard to imagine how anyone can "see" Draymond making a play on the ball, but whatever ... I'll accept that a flagrant - 1 call based on a real-time assessment of the officials on the court, following extended video review and backed-up by documentary video evidence, the actual NBA rulebook, and the offending individual's own indisputable words in a press conference following the game, are all less relevant sometimes than what people want (or need) to see. It's the 2016 election effect ...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:
eureca wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:

When I see comments and lists of players who fans think get preferential treatment, it's always the superstar wings that everyone thinks is getting the breaks: Jordan, Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Durant, Harden, Pierce.

In recent years, Kobe and Lebron have always been 1 and 2 in some order in terms of who fans think get breaks from the refs.

Usually what happens is fans of these guys scream that they're guy is actually being treated unfairly, while all the others are getting preferential treatment.

It does seems there is a strong correlation between a player's rings/MVPs/fame and the perception they are erceiving preferential treatment. It may simply be that some people use this perception, probably unknowingly, to explain a player's success. Obviously, it's a hard thing to quantify or measure so it's very in-the-eye-of-the-beholder.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
I saw Draymond's hand go towards the ball so why wouldn't I think he is trying to strip the ball?

Once again, whether he was "going for the ball" is irrelevant to whether it was a flagrant foul. It may be relevant to whether it was a 1 or a 2, but not to whether it was just a common foul. You aren't entitled to "go for the ball" in every situation. If you "go for the ball" while drilling the opposing player, it's still a flagrant foul.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:

I don't think you know how that suspension happened.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
eureca wrote:
I saw Draymond's hand go towards the ball so why wouldn't I think he is trying to strip the ball?

Once again, whether he was "going for the ball" is irrelevant to whether it was a flagrant foul. It may be relevant to whether it was a 1 or a 2, but not to whether it was just a common foul. You aren't entitled to "go for the ball" in every situation. If you "go for the ball" while drilling the opposing player, it's still a flagrant foul.

Sorry to go OT but your comment reminds me of one of the worst officiated calls in the game. When the ball is on the floor and player A goes down to get it, player B is allowed to jump on him, roll him around the floor, and all we usually see is a time out or jump ball. Using that logic, if a loose ball is bouncing on the floor, why can't a player jump on an opponent to keep him from getting the ball? Guarantee they will call the foul then. Sorry, we can now return to Lebron hating.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

True, though the refs do sometimes call fouls when the players are on the floor. It has never been clear to me what is allowed and is not allowed in those situations. As you say, the refs usually do not call a foul. When they do, I have sometimes wondered what was different.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject:

ClemensBriels wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:

being fair is not about giving each team the same number of free throws. these numbers dont say anything about the type of contact resulting in the free throws, which is where all of the importance lies.

So what's the explanation for the discrepancy?

Probably that most of LeBron and Kyrie's drives ended up in uncontested layups.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

ClemensBriels wrote:

I don't see how that's surprising. One player (LeBron) is a physical freak. If he's driving it's harder to stop him without fouling him, especially if you don't have a dominant rim protector. Even Kyrie is pretty big for a PG. Klay has size it's easier to stop a driving Steph without fouling him (see all the clips of LeBron swattinghis ish).
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/02/25/lebron-james-criticizes-officials-im-getting-hit-slapped-and-grabbed-video/

Quote:
LeBron James criticizes officials: “I’m getting hit, slapped and grabbed” (VIDEO)

Bets are now being placed for the size of fine that LeBron James will receive from the the office after his comments following the Cleveland Cavaliers loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday, 110-94.

After the game, James told reporters that he was sick of the officiating with reference to his drives. In particular, LeBron pointed out that he felt that shooters were being better protected than some of the more powerful drivers like him.

LeBron recorded a near triple-double in the loss to San Antonio, scoring 33 points, 13 rebounds, and nine assists. That still wasn’t enough for the Cavaliers to push past their Western Conference rivals as LeBron & Co. lost by 16.

Via Twitter:

clevelanddotcom Cavs
@PDcavsinsider
LeBron was frustrated with the officiating in today's game. #Cavs

6:32 PM - Feb 25, 2018
226 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
We saw quite a bit of complaining about officiating to start the season as the NBA has rotated in some less-experienced referees. Gregg Popovich got his fill. Kevin Durant went off. Steve Kerr blasted the refs. James Harden had strong words about an officiating setup. Patrick Patterson got fined $10,000 for criticizing the refs.

Fans and players alike were pushing for the league, NBRA, and NBPA to meet, which they were supposed to have done. We’re only a few days out from the All-Star break, so we still have yet to decide whether a change has taken place on the floor.

How he has been officiated has been a complaint of LeBron’s all season long, and so it’s not great news that he is talking about it just a week away from the All-Star game. James has posted the second-lowest FTA per 100 possessions of his career in 2017-18, trailing only his rookie season.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Geebus every season
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

You think he doesn't like the way he is officiated now, wait until he sees how it is once he is a Laker!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
You think he doesn't like the way he is officiated now, wait until he sees how it is once he is a Laker!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Then retire Lebrons

It will be a great day for basketball when he does.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Not only him but PG13 too!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

+10000000
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: