Can Lakers Land LeBron, Paul George and Keep Budding Star Julius Randle?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Can Lakers Land LeBron, Paul George and Keep Budding Star Julius Randle?

Hey all,

Here's my latest @BleacherReport Can Lakers Land LeBron, Paul George and Keep Budding Star Julius Randle? The answer is yes (mathematically) but the price may be whatever it costs to dump Deng in trade. I argue Randle is worth sacrificing a first rounder to re-sign
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761830-can-lakers-land-lebron-paul-george-and-keep-budding-star-julius-randle

Cheers,

EP
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

This summer is gonna be bananas
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Chicago seems to be the most logical destination for a Deng trade
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

A half-measure would be Deng for Asik
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for writing this up, old friend. I agree with you - giving up the 1st rounder to unload Deng and create space for Randle is a worthwhile risk to take. Randle creates matchup problems for the majority of teams out there, and we need more guys like that. I'm not a fan of abandoning Randle for the un-guaranteed shot of signing George and LeBron, but if we can take that shot AND keep him, then I'm all for it.

At the same time, I don't want to part with Ball, Ingram, Kuz, or Hart, either. Our new Core 5 is one of the best collections of young talent out there, and I firmly believe another year with them together will enable ALL of them to improve and be a playoff team by themselves. Add either a Lebron or a Paul George to that, and we're terrific. Add both and we're title contenders.

But lose Randle and not get either one? Another 1-2 years stuck in neutral.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Thanks for writing this up, old friend. I agree with you - giving up the 1st rounder to unload Deng and create space for Randle is a worthwhile risk to take. Randle creates matchup problems for the majority of teams out there, and we need more guys like that. I'm not a fan of abandoning Randle for the un-guaranteed shot of signing George and LeBron, but if we can take that shot AND keep him, then I'm all for it.

At the same time, I don't want to part with Ball, Ingram, Kuz, or Hart, either. Our new Core 5 is one of the best collections of young talent out there, and I firmly believe another year with them together will enable ALL of them to improve and be a playoff team by themselves. Add either a Lebron or a Paul George to that, and we're terrific. Add both and we're title contenders.

But lose Randle and not get either one? Another 1-2 years stuck in neutral.

I agree with this. I think the core as is(plus maybe a shooter or two) can make a run for the playoffs next year. I really don't want to see any of them moved. If they can add some top tier pieces to the existing parts, they can make some serious noise.

I'm excited about Ball, Hart, and Ingram guarding the wings in the future.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

I can see this happening, but I still think we would need to include a 1st round pick, I would do it though...
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

As long as our off season trade moves upset Brian Windhorst and Chris Broussard i'm cool.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerBaker wrote:
emplay wrote:

I can see this happening, but I still think we would need to include a 1st round pick, I would do it though...

If it means getting LBJ PG13 and keeping JR while only giving up ONE draft pick and streching Asik I'm on board.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Eric;

do you seriously think that trading $36.8mln owed to Deng for $14.3mln owed to Asik will cost the Lakers only 1(one) late (most likely) FRP?

Where do I sign
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't know what it will cost, depends on the market, depends on how teams view picks in the draft. Depends if the Lakers sending $5.2 mil in cash helps, etc.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Unloading Deng to give up a first round choice is the most stupid thing in the world. I don't know why anyone would suggest it.
Must be a troll who wants the Lakers to get bad.
You don't give up first round draft picks unless there is a guarantee there is a good player coming back. Not on media
talk.
Deng is dung and (bleep) him out by stretching him. No other way.
James is a longshot to go to the Lakers. He wants to finish his career contending for a championship. So his choices should be
GSW (super super team), Houston, Philly, and Cavs. Lakers should be last unless he doesn't want to contend for finals anymore.
But PG is another story. He may not get the max from OKC.
And there are reviews in SI and other publications.
Be careful with tampering!!!
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Uh, we're talking specifically in reaction to getting yes answers from PG13, Bron and Randle - not just randomly dumping a pick with hopes. Not happening in Feb but in June/July
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
Eric;

do you seriously think that trading $36.8mln owed to Deng for $14.3mln owed to Asik will cost the Lakers only 1(one) late (most likely) FRP?

Where do I sign

Depends how much $$$ the Bulls need to reach the salary floor.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

emplay--

If Deng takes a buyout, can the team still stretch the amount? Or does it has to count toward 2018-2020? I am wondering whether buyout is a realist choice. Thanks.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

the buyout counts for however many years are left - so 2 for Deng - then if stretched that amount is paid over 5 years
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I'll do Deng, 2018 Cavs pick, 2020 1st round pick for Justin Holiday. I might even give the Bulls back a 2nd round pick we owe them if push comes to shove.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
I'll do Deng, 2018 Cavs pick, 2020 1st round pick for Justin Holiday. I might even give the Bulls back a 2nd round pick we owe them if push comes to shove.

Now you wouldn't have the money to sign LeBron and PG and to keep Randle, not unless you expect Randle to take the QO, because of Holiday's number. If the Lakers had commitments from LeBron and PG, along with the ability to keep Julius, the Lakers wouldn't mess around. I think they would go ahead and trade the two 1st's to the Bulls, Hawks, or whomever would take that offer.

For the record, if Deng is dumped with two 1st's, my money is on the Hawks as being the team we do the deal with.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
Eric;

Where do I sign

Just thinking out loud, so forgive me for the long post:

If the Lakers fail to sign either LeBron or PG, I wonder how desperate Denver is going to be to get about $20-21MM off their books for next season (which they would do by sending out Arthur and one of Chandler or Faried), since they will be in a serious money crunch if they choose to pay Jokic, which I believe they will be compelled to do (otherwise he becomes an UFA in '19). I would think that they would have to give up at least one 1st round pick, and maybe even something in addition.

If you believe that we would be smart to get Denver's 1st rounder for doing that, the Bulls would be taking back about $17MM in bad money if we included the $5.2MM in cash, in a theoretical trade where we gave them Deng and the CLE 1st for Asik. My rough thinking is that a first round pick in the 20's is worth anywhere from $15-20MM. If you hit on the pick, it's so advantageous to have a cheap role player. And if you don't, it's not really hurting your finances. Reward heavily outweighs risk, basically. (I realize that Deng or a bad player's big salary hurts the finances, but if you're going to be tanking/rebuilding for a couple of years anyway, and need to get to the salary floor anyway, the focus should be on the possible reward of the pick.)

Actually, the Nets took on $30MM of DeMarre Carroll's contract before the season, and only got one 1st rounder out of it, along with one 2nd rounder. And while Deng's contract is regarded as more toxic than Carroll's was at this point last season, Carroll was basically thought of as damaged goods/bad money. And Toronto's pick is going to be a late 1st. Two 1st's for Deng just feels fair to me.

Maybe if we did do the Chicago trade where it's Deng and the one 1st for Asik, we could turn around and flip Asik and our 2020 1st to a team like the Hawks. The Hawks are hoarding 1st round picks, but don't have another team's 1st rounder in 2020. And the Cavs' pick that they own in '19 is top-10 protected in '19 and '20 (and then would convert to two 2nd's after that), so it's possible that one might not convey if LeBron leaves Cleveland.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
the buyout counts for however many years are left - so 2 for Deng - then if stretched that amount is paid over 5 years

I am more concerned with cap amount. If stretched, the cap amount is also stretched, right?

I doubt Deng is going to take a huge cut if he agrees to a buyout. Let's say 2yr/30M. If stretched into 5 years, 6M cap space occupied every year. In comparison, Asik could be stretched into three years, right?

Trade > buyout AND stretch > stretch

I think Luke should give Deng some minutes. Kuzma is the only forward on the bench now, and they need to play somebody. If Deng shows serviceable and therefore is confident a job will be available to continue his career, he might be more willing to take less money in order to leave this deadlock situation.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
emplay wrote:

I am more concerned with cap amount. If stretched, the cap amount is also stretched, right?

I doubt Deng is going to take a huge cut if he agrees to a buyout. Let's say 2yr/30M. If stretched into 5 years, 6M cap space occupied every year. In comparison, Asik could be stretched into three years, right?

I think Luke should give Deng some minutes. Kuzma is the only forward on the bench now, and they need to play somebody. If Deng shows serviceable and therefore is confident a job will be available to continue his career, he might be more willing to take less money in order to leave this deadlock situation.

Eric is a better authority on this than I am, but I believe Asik's amount could be stretched over 5 years (just like Deng), because he still has $3MM in guaranteed money for the '19-20 season.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LaxT wrote:
emplay wrote:

Eric is a better authority on this than I am, but I believe Asik's amount could be stretched over 5 years (just like Deng), because he still has $3MM in guaranteed money for the '19-20 season.

That would be correct.

Asik would be $14m over 5 years or $3m over 3 years.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject:

technically - Asik could be extended and stretched similarly - complex and I'd have to look at it closely - just sayin
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
technically - Asik could be extended and stretched similarly - complex and I'd have to look at it closely - just sayin

See, this is why they pay you the big bucks.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject:

Hypothetically speaking, if James expressed his desire to be in L.A., could the Lakers sign and trade Randle to Cleveland (with Deng attached)?

Is that even possible?

I know Cleveland is waaay over the cap and, on the surface, wouldn’t be interested in adding over thirty million in payroll (not including luxury tax), but the idea is that they’d do it for Randle.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: