GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Deng time??
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

I’d rather take a flyer on someone from the G-Laegue. Deng is not salvageable, so would rather make some bets that might payoff.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
markjay wrote:
There were two reasons not to play Deng. One was to save playing time for our youngsters. The other was to encourage him to take a buyout.

The first reason is moot. Our remaining youngsters that play the 2-3-4 will get all the minutes they need in the rest of the season.

And whatever money we could possibly save through a buyout can also be saved if he is somehow able to highlight his value, thereby decreasing what we would have to pay to get rid of him. (Indeed, showcasing any possible value may also increase the possibility that he would take a good buyout, if he realizes that other teams may pay something for his services.)

With Brewer gone and Hart out, I say let's give me some solid minutes and see what he can do in the remaining games.

That would seem a bit short sighted. Play deng fifteen minutes a night and with decent lineups and he probably helps you win and gives you something besides a bad contract to move. Not like he’s going to take a big enough hit to make it worth stretching him now anyway.

If the plan is to trade Deng, it would be better to show he is still a NBA player. 10 minutes per game would be fine.

Only problem is that he is no longer a three which the team needs with Hart/Brewer out. Maybe Kuzma plays some SF and Deng gets minutes at PF.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Reading the last half page I have to wonder if posters criticizing making Deng active and playing him have any clue about our roster situation right now.

Hart's got a fracture in his hand. Brewer is gone. Now we have only Ingram at small forward.

Only Kuzma as backup for Randle.

Only IT as backup for KCP.

We have no bench player at the 3 position. Ingram can't play 48 minutes. If we slide Kuz out of his position to play backup 3 we're thin AF at the 4 position where Randle needs relief after 32-34 minutes of banging against large people. Deng attends practices, he's familiar with our play sets. And he can play either 3 or 4.

He may be over the hill but 12 minutes of Deng is a hell of a lot more roster support than you're going to get out of some G League dude coming in cold.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

^^^ I’m working under the assumption that our FO recognizes that instantly as well. And if they choose not to play Deng, I’m sure there is a clear reason for that - especially as part of their larger plan.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Reading the last half page I have to wonder if posters criticizing making Deng active and playing him have any clue about our roster situation right now.

Hart's got a fracture in his hand. Brewer is gone. Now we have only Ingram at small forward.

We have no bench player at the 3 position. Ingram can't play 48 minutes. If we slide Kuz out of his position to play backup 3 we're thin AF at the 4 position where Randle needs relief after 32-34 minutes of banging against large people. Deng attends practices, he's familiar with our play sets. And he can play either 3 or 4.

He may be over the hill but 12 minutes of Deng is a hell of a lot more roster support than you're going to get out of some G League dude coming in cold.

Agree 100%.

I was very surprised when we didn't go after Bellinelli as I thought he'd have been a great shooter off the bench (and more of a 2/3 than a 3/4) but Deng can def find 12 mins a game right now.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

This.

Suddenly a short bench with only Thomas as guard and Kuzma as forward. Like it or not, now it's either Frye or Deng.

Deng would still be better than some random 10-day contracts from the G League such as Travis Wear.

Trading him in June/July would be the best option. To do that, the team needs to show he still has NBA body/game.

He was doing well as a stretch four two years ago. One of the mistakes the Lakers made was that they signed/treated him as a three. He is a four and unfortunately for him, the team had Randle/Nance/Kuzma at that position.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Just curious if Frye's cleared to play after his appendectomy. I thought it was only 12 days ago?
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Just curious if Frye's cleared to play after his appendectomy. I thought it was only 12 days ago?

was ruled out for the road trip 6 days ago. possible he could return by next week.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Let's be honest, he's almost certainly not going to show he has NBA body/game in any sufficient capacity to be less of an albatross contract than he already is.

But my fairytale scenario relies on the fact that he shot 38% from 3 with the starters last year. Without the starters his USG% was like 13% and he shot in the teens, so maybe he just needs to be in the rhythm. So maybe you can be optimistic that with Zo, BI etc. hitting him when he's open he can approach 35-36% from 3.

Idk how likely it is
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
There is only around 20 games left why play him now? He was horrible as a Laker when we last saw him play, he's not returning from an allstar year and after not playing for entire season why would he be any better?

Play the guys we have been playing instead of a guy who has never earned his paycheck and isn't in the Lakers present or future plans it doesn't matter to me that he's a nice guy.

He might not accept a buyout but the off chance he does is still better than anything he would add to the team by returning

He literally played 1 game this year.

I forgot he played any games this year
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject:

No to LuOLD Dung, I'd rather watch paint dry than go through 20 seconds of slow plodding 56 year old guy trying to keep up with the young ones, it be like 4 Laker players against 5 opponents.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

Randle30 wrote:
No to LuOLD Dung, I'd rather watch paint dry than go through 20 seconds of slow plodding 56 year old guy trying to keep up with the young ones, it be like 4 Laker players against 5 opponents.

What bench unit would you play instead, with no Frye, no Hart, and no Brewer?
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

Assuming he's been consistent in practice with the team I would absolutely give Deng back up minutes here and there.....if he's not that good not a big deal, we are basically in the same position we are now, a player who is not so good with a massive contract.

On the other hand if he comes in for back up minutes and is ok maybe we could off load him for a little less to a team that might have cap and looking for picks...i.e. instead of 2 1sts, maybe it's 1st and some second round picks or something.

It's probably unlikely, but I don't see much downside for giving him minutes with Brewer gone and Hart out for some time
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

I have a hard time believing Deng can add any value at this point. Tough position to be in because that list in the FA thread of available players is really bad...which is why they are available.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

What Deng can add is 12 to 15 minutes at either 3 or 4 positions without our starters/subs having to play out of position or play 40 minutes plus for several games in a row. That just invites 4th quarter collapses and even more injuries. Lonzo is still on a 30 minute restriction for instance. Randle is gassed after 34 or so. We haven't seen a minute of Deng since the first game, and although he wasn't great, he didn't screw up in a colossal manner warranting a season-long benching in that first game either. He attends practices. He hasn't been an attitude problem, he isn't feuding with anyone in the locker room, he gets praise in fact from teammates.

This whole issue about zero playing time for Deng appears to me to be Magic freezing him out under the wishful thinking that Deng is going to accept a buyout and walk away from a portion of his remaining contract money, which this summer is down to $36M. It's not gonna happen. Our best chance to get rid of Deng's contract is as an expiring in 2019. He may not be worth $18m/yr, but I have a real hard time believing he's so bad that a 10 day contract walk-on is a better option from a pure basketball sense given our roster situation.

Freezing Deng out, having him sit in the locker room during games, isn't going to help us on his contract, nor is this likely to impress potential FA's.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
What Deng can add is 12 to 15 minutes at either 3 or 4 positions without our starters/subs having to play out of position or play 40 minutes plus for several games in a row. That just invites 4th quarter collapses and even more injuries. Lonzo is still on a 30 minute restriction for instance. Randle is gassed after 34 or so. We haven't seen a minute of Deng since the first game, and although he wasn't great, he didn't screw up in a colossal manner warranting a season-long benching in that first game either. He attends practices. He hasn't been an attitude problem, he isn't feuding with anyone in the locker room, he gets praise in fact from teammates.

This whole issue about zero playing time for Deng appears to me to be Magic freezing him out under the wishful thinking that Deng is going to accept a buyout and walk away from a portion of his remaining contract money, which this summer is down to $36M. It's not gonna happen. Our best chance to get rid of Deng's contract is as an expiring in 2019. He may not be worth $18m/yr, but I have a real hard time believing he's so bad that a 10 day contract walk-on is a better option from a pure basketball sense given our roster situation.

Freezing Deng out, having him sit in the locker room during games, isn't going to help us on his contract, nor is this likely to impress potential FA's.

Ive seen numerous people on LG stating that Deng comes to games but stays on the locker room, but I have yet to see a reliable source that he actually does so. What is your source? And does he travel to road games?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

Here's an article cited recently BBB.

gaogi wrote:
It's really hard to rip Deng after reading this article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-deng-plaschke-20180210-story.html

Dude is a professional, nothing but class.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Here's an article cited recently BBB.

gaogi wrote:
It's really hard to rip Deng after reading this article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-deng-plaschke-20180210-story.html

Dude is a professional, nothing but class.

Thanks, reading now.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Of course, Walton could call on Luol Deng to be available on the bench and promise the veteran forward minutes. Deng played in Miami from 2014-16, so Thursday could even feel like a bit of a throwback game.

Sadly, calling of Deng wouldn't make sense at this stage. With two years left on his contract after the 2017-18 season, the team has made it clear that Deng has no future playing with the team. The 32-year-old may technically be available to play, traveling with the team, practicing and even cashing a paycheck from the Lakers, but playing Deng for any amount of minutes would ultimatley give minutes to a player that is not part of the future of the team and, thus, take away minutes from a player that could develop with that time on the floor.

LINK
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Unless we're actually trying to win games since we have a slight chance of making he playoffs.

How many games/mins has Deng played for us total? lol.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Of course, Walton could call on Luol Deng to be available on the bench and promise the veteran forward minutes. Deng played in Miami from 2014-16, so Thursday could even feel like a bit of a throwback game.

Sadly, calling of Deng wouldn't make sense at this stage. With two years left on his contract after the 2017-18 season, the team has made it clear that Deng has no future playing with the team. The 32-year-old may technically be available to play, traveling with the team, practicing and even cashing a paycheck from the Lakers, but playing Deng for any amount of minutes would ultimatley give minutes to a player that is not part of the future of the team and, thus, take away minutes from a player that could develop with that time on the floor.

LINK

So what!!?? If that was the case than you wouldnt play IT, KCP, BROOK, Etc.

This makes no sense. There has to be more to this.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

This is just crazy to me. He is NOT THAT BAD. I don't get why the heck he isnt getting a look. Especially NOW. Are you telling me that he doesnt want to play if its for 10-15 min a game? If that's the case than it's not as one sided as it seems. However, he seems like the ultimate pro. I think he would help us.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

So what!!?? If that was the case than you wouldnt play IT, KCP, BROOK, Etc.

This makes no sense. There has to be more to this.

Preach!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Horrible article, bad opinion aside, butchering the English language.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 97 of 157
Jump to: