Can Lakers Land LeBron, Paul George and Keep Budding Star Julius Randle?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject:

Mission 1A is try to land a marquee free agent; Paul G., is the most likely to come. LBJ is such a coin flip, maybe he does, but the LeBron train seems less likely.

Probably plan B is to re-sign Randle, but only if it doesn't interfere with plan A. As to the question, would we give 1 or 2 first round picks attached to Deng to free up the space? If it means both LeBron and PG13, then yes we do it. Otherwise we just stretch Deng, this year or next offseason. Somehow, I think they reach a deal this offseason, so Deng doesn't rot another year of not playing.

Giving up 2 first round picks to get rid of Deng is a non-starter; maybe we do it for one first rounder. But if Lebron, PG13, and a re-signed Randle can all be accomplished, then its worth losing 2 first round picks.

Best guess, if anyone comes, it will be PG13, we re-sign Lebron, and punt till 2019 when its easier to dump Deng.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
I'll do Deng, 2018 Cavs pick, 2020 1st round pick for Justin Holiday. I might even give the Bulls back a 2nd round pick we owe them if push comes to shove.

Now you wouldn't have the money to sign LeBron and PG and to keep Randle, not unless you expect Randle to take the QO, because of Holiday's number. If the Lakers had commitments from LeBron and PG, along with the ability to keep Julius, the Lakers wouldn't mess around. I think they would go ahead and trade the two 1st's to the Bulls, Hawks, or whomever would take that offer.

For the record, if Deng is dumped with two 1st's, my money is on the Hawks as being the team we do the deal with.

If Lebron signs for $32m rather than $35m, we should be able to sign all three. Won't be surprised if he signed for slightly less than the max in order to surround himself with better players.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
I'll do Deng, 2018 Cavs pick, 2020 1st round pick for Justin Holiday. I might even give the Bulls back a 2nd round pick we owe them if push comes to shove.

Now you wouldn't have the money to sign LeBron and PG and to keep Randle, not unless you expect Randle to take the QO, because of Holiday's number. If the Lakers had commitments from LeBron and PG, along with the ability to keep Julius, the Lakers wouldn't mess around. I think they would go ahead and trade the two 1st's to the Bulls, Hawks, or whomever would take that offer.

For the record, if Deng is dumped with two 1st's, my money is on the Hawks as being the team we do the deal with.

If Lebron signs for $32m rather than $35m, we should be able to sign all three. Won't be surprised if he signed for slightly less than the max in order to surround himself with better players.

Yes, LeBron and/or PG could take a bit less, but the thing with that is that we can't just assume that they will. For example, if we could do the extend-and-stretch option with Deng, I believe that we would be really close to being able to give full maxes to both LeBron and PG (while keeping Randle's cap hold), but not quite all the way. At that point, you would hope that both guys would take very small haircuts off the full max in order to save the Lakers not just one but very likely TWO draft picks. So I think you could make a compelling case to those 2 guys to take barely less than their maxes if the prize were the 2 draft picks. But if the prize were Justin Holiday, who makes more than what the dead cap # would be in an extend-and-stretch for Deng? I'm not so sure. But sure, your concept is right, as far as maybe getting them to take slightly less to surround themselves with better players/more assets. I'm just not sure how much less they would be willing to take. 500K less? That might be very do-able. 2-3MM less? Then I'm not so sure.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

cavs would have issues executive a sign and trade "in" - would give them a hard cap

also - you're projecting that Randle chooses to go to Cavs which he probably doesn't - so no S&T w/o player participation
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

If we were able to pull off an Asik trade and then we stretched him, how close would we be to being able to keep Randle's cap hold and max out LeBron and George?
lakermann44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

The lakers really need to keep Randle for the future.
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject:

We don't need Lebron, he is aging and not going to maintain his current level of play for much longer. We would not want to lock our cap space with someone on his decline. We did that with Kobe because we love him, but Lebron? Hell no. The class of 2019 free agent though, has some pretty good options we can pursue, aka, Kawhi/ Klay. They are younger and stay longer as core of our team if we can land any of them.

For PG, I think it is safe to say that no matter where he goes (to team not named rockets), he is not going to have a legitimate chance to contend for a championship. In other words, it is a complete BS to me for those who say PG is going to stay in thunder because they get a better chance winning a championship. Teaming with RW and a aging Melo just not going to do it. I think he will know when playoff time comes this season. In the end, it all comes down to how much he wants to play for the Lakers. I think we have the best chance other than thunder to get him.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

lakermann44 wrote:
The lakers really need to keep Randle for the future.

I'd rather have Randle and George for 6 + years than

Lebron & George (and no Randle) for 3 years..

Plus as Emplay said, Lakers could still go for a 2019 star bringing in only George..

Me likes...
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

One of your better articles Emplay👍🏾

I think the PG + 2019 scenario comes into play

Any idea on potential cheap defensive bigs we could get? We lose bro and there's a strong chance JR becomes center if we keep him?
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

Any idea on potential cheap defensive bigs we could get? We lose bro and there's a strong chance JR becomes center if we keep him?

I like that’s scenario better with George and ‘2019 guy.’ But who would be in play? Would Klay Thompson be a realistic get?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

I think keeping Randel is worth the Cavs 1st Round pick. We are young enough and the young guys we do have are already getting heavy minutes. Our bench will need to be made of more veterans no matter what.
sAM sHILE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

statyin wrote:
We don't need Lebron, he is aging and not going to maintain his current level of play for much longer. We would not want to lock our cap space with someone on his decline. We did that with Kobe because we love him, but Lebron? Hell no.

I agree, the thought of Lebron as a Laker is gross! We have a young core, with some younger vets added, will grow into a championship team. They will be exciting, tough and lovable for years.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

Hey Emplay, is there a way for the Lakers to keep Randle, Lopez, Pope and IT (at reduced salaries) and still bring in a PG type player?

There guys are playing great together and dumping them all could lead to major depth issues...!
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers should aggressively pursue a draft day trade of Deng. I would offer the Bulls Deng, 2018 Cavs pick and our 2020 1st round pick (top 10 protected) for Asik. This could allow us to bring back Randle and sign two max players. At the same time, I would investigate what is going on with Leonard and see if we could get him in a deal that also has us unload Deng.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can Lakers Land LeBron, Paul George and Keep Budding Star Julius Randle?

emplay wrote:
Hey all,

Here's my latest @BleacherReport Can Lakers Land LeBron, Paul George and Keep Budding Star Julius Randle? The answer is yes (mathematically) but the price may be whatever it costs to dump Deng in trade. I argue Randle is worth sacrificing a first rounder to re-sign
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761830-can-lakers-land-lebron-paul-george-and-keep-budding-star-julius-randle

Cheers,

EP
Interesting Read

Does it matter how long LBJ signs for the Lakers (nobody seems to mentioned/discuss this)?

If it is just one year with a player option, would this be a factor?

If LBJ is playing PF, how does that work with Randle

If LBJ is playing SF, how does that work with Ingram

LBJ is a transcendent player that is worth the risk if he is committed to longer than two years and (obviously) younger - recognizing that he will probably only play 3-4 years longer (most guesses).

PG13 is a superstar that is a step below LBJ

With Julius, Lonzo, BI, Kuzma and Hart having shown the great potential of building the next dynasty after the Warriors - does the FO risk being the next OKC or patience to being the next Warriors?

Lakers seem to be just one Closer away (could this be IT?), hopefully at the 5 or at the 2.

Just wondering (recognizing that LBJ and PG13 are definitive superstars)
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Stretching anyone should ALWAYS be a last resort / desperation move. Consider it similar to pushing a button to launch a nuclear warhead. This should never be an option that is on the table unless there is no other recourse and even then it shouldn't be done. It screws your team out of money for a long time (5 years) or a really, really long time (11 years)!

Put it this way: How would Lakers nation feel if we were still paying Steve Nash, another player many entertained the idea of stretching?
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
I think the Lakers should aggressively pursue a draft day trade of Deng. I would offer the Bulls Deng, 2018 Cavs pick and our 2020 1st round pick (top 10 protected) for Asik. This could allow us to bring back Randle and sign two max players. At the same time, I would investigate what is going on with Leonard and see if we could get him in a deal that also has us unload Deng.

This seems like too much to give up. It depends on everything working out in Free Agency which I think the odds of getting 2 players is 30%. If things don’t work out with Free Agency in 2018 and we have to focus on 2019 we will have grossly overpaid to get rid of Deng who can have only 1 year stretched in 2019. From a trading perspective Deng is a lot easier to trade next year and might even be able to be included in a larger deal with younger assets.

Point is 2 first rounders seems like we are jumping the gun before we need to. I agree we need to figure out how to keep the young core, especially Ball, Ingram and Randle and add high quality free agents. I just think 2 first rounders is jumping the gun unnecessarily.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
DrDent wrote:

I like that’s scenario better with George and ‘2019 guy.’ But who would be in play? Would Klay Thompson be a realistic get?

Honestly not sure. I get the feeling Klay stays in GS. I just would rather have an option in 2019 than pour everything in 2018 FA and lose JR in the process.

Plus I'm just not buying the Lebron thing. There's no guarantee we get any of the big name FA but of all of them I'd give the Lebron scenario the lowest chance.
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

Thanks for doing the math from all the angles and writing it all up. It’s nice to have actual facts to discuss here regarding free agency possibilities, and much of that is thanks to you, emplay.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Thanks for writing this up, old friend. I agree with you - giving up the 1st rounder to unload Deng and create space for Randle is a worthwhile risk to take. Randle creates matchup problems for the majority of teams out there, and we need more guys like that. I'm not a fan of abandoning Randle for the un-guaranteed shot of signing George and LeBron, but if we can take that shot AND keep him, then I'm all for it.

At the same time, I don't want to part with Ball, Ingram, Kuz, or Hart, either. Our new Core 5 is one of the best collections of young talent out there, and I firmly believe another year with them together will enable ALL of them to improve and be a playoff team by themselves. Add either a Lebron or a Paul George to that, and we're terrific. Add both and we're title contenders.

But lose Randle and not get either one? Another 1-2 years stuck in neutral.

I agree with this too. Randle finally made me a believer this year. Biggest thing is he, along with BI a little, is actually learning how to win. How to stop others from succeeding. He has learned to impose his will on the game. BI still has some improvement available in this area. Then, we all know that Lonzo, Hart and Kuzma are all going to improve. When all 5 of these guys come into their own, we will be a force in this league. If we are able to add a significant player or two to this core without breaking it up, we are going to be on top of this league for 7-10 years.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Eric, assuming we get lucky and sign James, George and Randle, what do ou think we do about the center position? What are the chances of Brook Lopez signing for the room exception?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I think reasonable that if Lakers just kill it and Lopez can come back on a 1yr room, he considers it but TBD
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
I think reasonable that if Lakers just kill it and Lopez can come back on a 1yr room, he considers it but TBD
That is great to here. He still provides rim protection and of course is a good shooter for a big guy. I could see him as an Andrew Bogut type getting 20 minutes per game as a starter, with most of the remaining center minutes going to Randle, like a Draymond Green. Does that sound about right to you?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Other than the typo lol
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Other than the typo lol
ma bad man lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: