David Fizdale has eyes on Lakers coaching job
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Luke could use an assistant that is not from the U of A

Dirtiest program in America, well tied with a few others but Sean Milller's propensity to perspire makes it eclipse the others......
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

Luke is doing fine

We don't want you fizzle

Try the clippers
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

If LeBron said he will only come to the Lakers if we have Fizdale as coach, then Fizdale will be our coach.

I'm hoping LeBron doesn't say that as I want LeBron and keep Luke. But business is business.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

I'm not saying Fizdale isn't a good coach but he doesn't have the winning resume of a Phil Jackson or any kind of track record for coaching young players. He hasn't done enough to be pushing out Luke who was touted as the next great young coach in the league. Fiz had one decent season as head coach of a veteran team he inherited whose core was developed under Dave Joerger.

Unless this is coming from Rich Paul or he's one of Magic's buddies I don't give this rumor much weight but credit Fiz for doing the smart thing by keeping his public profile up. Eventually, some team will take the bait.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

Lucas Walton has deserved the chance to come back next season.

The team has shown improvement this season which is what was needed. He isn't perfect, but I have come around on him a bit, I like that he keeps preaching defense without screaming at the guys about it too much so they tune out.

Certainly some of our young guys have improved also, that could have something to do with coaching.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

As an assistant sure. Much needed.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
If LeBron said he will only come to the Lakers if we have Fizdale as coach, then Fizdale will be our coach.

I'm hoping LeBron doesn't say that as I want LeBron and keep Luke. But business is business.

And if he demands that the young players be dealt for his guys they are gone too? What the hell would we be paying Magic and Pelinka for?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
As an assistant sure. Much needed.

Do you think that Luke wants him as an assistant?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Luke witnessed Magic being brought in as an "advisor" and it was obvious to everyone in the world at the time that the move was merely laying the groundwork for what was coming next. We all saw it coming. There's no way he's going to set himself up for getting "Mitched" by bringing Fizdale in as an assistant. I'm sure if the FO made it an ultimatum he'd just quit. And he should.

The beneficial thing for Luke is that he has Jeanie (and probably Kobe) in his corner. You know Kobe is going to speak up for him profusely if the FO seeks his counsel (which is very possible, if not likely since he was the one who recommended Pelinka for the job). And most favorably, he has the most important decision-maker in the org by his side, Jeanie. Magic could want Luke out, but it won't matter because Jeanie has the final call.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Luke was on the hot seat when they were playing a brutal stretch of the schedule and now he's safe while they play the bottom dwellers night after night. Sounds fair
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Maginka wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Dirtiest program in America, well tied with a few others but Sean Milller's propensity to perspire makes it eclipse the others......

actually the dirtiest entity by far is the NCAA...stopped watching/supporting them in any way back in the early 90's
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:

He has several. The only assistant coach (front bench) who went to Arizona is Mermuys. Neither Brian Shaw or Brian Keefe went to Arizona. Keefe (who's probably responsible for the dramatic improvement defensively) was on Gregg Popovich's staff for two years as one of their video coordinators during their championship run.

The only other coaches on the staff from Arizona are in the development area, Miles Simon and Jud Buechler. Even GT has spoken highly of Simon's work with the players. This idea of Luke just having a coaching staff of his "frat buddies" is just anti-intellectual and simple-minded.

Last edited by Judah on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Luke was on the hot seat when they were playing a brutal stretch of the schedule and now he's safe while they play the bottom dwellers night after night. Sounds fair

I don't believe he was ever on the hot seat. No well run team would fire a young coach dealing with a young/injured/bad roster before the new year.

Fans are impatient and I don't necessarily blame them. However I don't think it crossed anyone's mind in the FO to replace the head coach.

Not to mention the fact that, if they were willing to get rid of someone who basically grew up in the orginization after failing to win with a roster that was nowhere close to being "good", who in their right mind would ever want the Lakers HC position?
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Luke is safe.

Lakers are playing defense and with energy...
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Luke was never on the hot seat

LG just cray cray
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Luke isn't getting fired anytime soon

We're the youngest team in the NBA, and we're definitely starting to put it together, running a good system that is working without any developed stars. Luke has issues, but he clearly knows how to get a young team to execute complicated concepts
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Idk about fiz but those who think Luke is safe are dillusional. (bleep) rolls downhill and I give Luke one season to make the playoffs with or without a superstar signing this summer. Someone is getting blamed and magic will be the last one right before Jeanie.

Remember when Larry nance was the “secret weapon”. Remember when they were targeting two stars in summer 2018? All words. Nobody is safe until we’re in the playoffs and a clear contender.

aside from that 0-9 stretch, we're pretty much in playoff contention...

some better health and a piece or 2 more and we're easily in the playoffs.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Is there a shred of evidence that Bron would want to play under Fiz besides a complimentary tweet?
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Is there a shred of evidence that Bron would want to play under Fiz besides a complimentary tweet?

If there were actual evidence then thr league office would probably have a few things to say about it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:

Not going to happen. unless luke does something wrong.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Luke witnessed Magic being brought in as an "advisor" and it was obvious to everyone in the world at the time that the move was merely laying the groundwork for what was coming next. We all saw it coming. There's no way he's going to set himself up for getting "Mitched" by bringing Fizdale in as an assistant. I'm sure if the FO made it an ultimatum he'd just quit. And he should.

The beneficial thing for Luke is that he has Jeanie (and probably Kobe) in his corner. You know Kobe is going to speak up for him profusely if the FO seeks his counsel (which is very possible, if not likely since he was the one who recommended Pelinka for the job). And most favorably, he has the most important decision-maker in the org by his side, Jeanie. Magic could want Luke out, but it won't matter because Jeanie has the final call.

I hope so.....

Coach Wooden
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: