Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 524, 525, 526 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
TheGoat1 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Luke deserves some damn credit.

Yes, but he also deserves a hefty amount of criticism. Many here who aren't being paid Millions of dollars to Coach the Lakers could see that Randle should have been in the starting lineup from day 1. Not to mention, cutting the cord on Tyler Ennis and putting Ingram at Point Guard sooner. No telling how many wins that cost us. It definitely seems to have cost us an outside chance at making a playoff run at the end of the season.

As a young coach, I was hoping he would be a lot less rigid in his approach. Especially when it comes to rotations. It seems like the light bulb only went off in his mind when some guy was injured or another guy was traded. That worries me.

Randle didn’t deserve consistent minutes because of a lack of effort/focus and selfish play. He was taught a lesson, he learned and he’s a much better player for it. That’s a huge part of coaching especially on a young team with development being the priority. That’s often overlooked by Luke haters.

Love the revisionist history. Randle was the better player in the preseason showing offensive and defensive hustle. He was in superior shape compared to the other players after an offseason of hard work. Your post is regurgitated garbage.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
TheGoat1 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Yes, but he also deserves a hefty amount of criticism. Many here who aren't being paid Millions of dollars to Coach the Lakers could see that Randle should have been in the starting lineup from day 1. Not to mention, cutting the cord on Tyler Ennis and putting Ingram at Point Guard sooner. No telling how many wins that cost us. It definitely seems to have cost us an outside chance at making a playoff run at the end of the season.

It’s true, criticism matters. However, consider the instruction of your head of ball operations. He’s the owners new hire. The owner has know this man her entire life. Has seen the top of the hill, and tradegy, and survival. Luke as well. But in a mentor mentee way. So this Hall of Fame head of ball ops for The Los Angeles Lakers, says to restrict mins and take away JRs starting role...

Let’s make him earn it in this contract year.

Let’s put a body fat percentage restriction for the entire team; to troll the young beast.

Let’s get him so pissed at the world that he stews on the bench...

then let’s unleash that beast on the opponents we face for the second half of the year. Let’s not talk about the money until we see what he does.

If I’m Luke, do I say... Hell naw, man. You have no idea what our talking about... Go home Magic, you’re drunk!

You do realize that as a coach Magic was the worst in Laker history? The worst.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
TheGoat1 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
BizLA wrote:

As a young coach, I was hoping he would be a lot less rigid in his approach. Especially when it comes to rotations. It seems like the light bulb only went off in his mind when some guy was injured or another guy was traded. That worries me.

Randle didn’t deserve consistent minutes because of a lack of effort/focus and selfish play. He was taught a lesson, he learned and he’s a much better player for it. That’s a huge part of coaching especially on a young team with development being the priority. That’s often overlooked by Luke haters.

Love the revisionist history. Randle was the better player in the preseason showing offensive and defensive hustle. He was in superior shape compared to the other players after an offseason of hard work. Your post is regurgitated garbage.

I was saying it at the time. Nothing revised about it. Preseason doesn’t mean much to me, but I agree he was the more talented player. Less effective though.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

so is the discussion that he wasn't outperforming him in preseason

or that his play in previous seasons meant that he didn't deserve to start

it is I,

the man who is currently lost in the sauce
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
We aren't going to get better by firing the coach every other season.

As others have said, Luke isn't perfect but he seems to be growing on the job and the team is showing clear improvement now.

I like the idea of establishing continuity by having a coach here for a decade or so and Luke would seem to be that guy if the results on the court are acceptable.

And that is where this FO shines over Jim Buss. Continuity cannot be overrated. Though Jim had settled on player continuity, while this FO asks “what is that?”
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
TheGoat1 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
BizLA wrote:

I was saying it at the time. Nothing revised about it. Preseason doesn’t mean much to me, but I agree he was the more talented player. Less effective though.

So you were wrong then and wrong now. Consistent.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
TheGoat1 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
BizLA wrote:

At least I have something going for me.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Pace and defense.
I like the focus.
Things sure look good when you also make 3s and FTs.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Pace and defense.
I like the focus.

It's really simple basketball, really. I like where we're going.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/the-point/180301-waltons-touch-comes-from-within

Pretty good article on the relationship between JR and Luke
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
TheGoat1 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
BizLA wrote:

I disagree, @ventura. No one is saying that Randle wasn't a superior individual talent, compared to Nance. The issue that Walton had with Randle, imo, was his tendency to dominate the ball, and make bad decisions. To begin the season, in that starting lineup, Walton preferred the ball in the hands of Lonzo, and Ingram. Nance replacing Randle assured that there wouldn't be any "battles" over the ball...though KCP generously picked up the slack, in Randle's absence, smh.

The time on the bench was good for Randle, because he got a chance to show off the fruits of his hard work, but also understood that if he wanted to be a starter, he had to play more within the team concept, by being less domineering. Give up the ball, and the ball will eventually find it's way back to you, if you put yourself in the right position.

Randle has shown extreme growth, not just with his play, but with his maturity. Less "bull in china shop", and more "beast mode". All because he's playing smarter. So, despite the criticism's thrown Luke's way, he must be doing something right. Even KCP has severely lessened his insanely horrible off balance attacks to the rim.

Just my personal opinion.

ZOOM!!!!!!!
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

I think unless you're in the locker room 24/7 then you can only speculate as to why a coach isn't playing someone or what kind of message he's trying to send. Frankly anyone arguing one way or another can only pretend that they know the real reason. Personally I'm gonna give Luke the benefit of the doubt.

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

wooooooweeeeeeeee
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Coach!

(I still want new assistant coaches but we'll deal with that next season)
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Coaching it into existence
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Randle was playing lazily and selfishly and it often hurt the lineups he was in. Pitiful off ball and transition defense.

It's rare that I will call total BS on a poster, but I'm calling it on you. Randle was playing his best defense of the year in the early season and those numbers I showed you which you keep trying to sidestep without acknowledging clearly show that. You say he hurt the lineups he was in, yet he was a net positive, where Nance was a net negative. Kuzma when paired with Randle on the bench was also having his biggest impact of the season. Per 100 possessions he was giving you 2.5 blocks and 1.1 steals in October and 1.5 blocks and 0.8 steals in November, while also being a very good perimeter defender. That was his best stretch of defense of the year.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

There's really no reason for Randle to not have played more minutes early in the season. For all we know it was a decision from upper management since Randle was rumored on the trading block. That decision may have cost the team some important wins that they would need if the Lakers barely miss the playoffs. Hopefully we eventually get some sort of behind the scenes look at what prompted that decision. Still, you can't argue with the recent results. Randle has been an absolute beast since the trade deadline and he can relax without all the rumors and just play ball.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Other than Luke's stupid lineups earlier in the year (including his failure to start Randle), I gotta give him credit. Improved D, players who play hard every night, our O is rapidly coming together as well, and, most significant, player development.

We've gone 17-10 since January 1st.... 17-7 since the end of that 9 game losing streak. Even if just go 10-10 the rest of the season, we'll have won 38 games. That's more than any reasonable non-homer person could have predicted. We have a legit chance at winning 41 games... just have to go 13-7 the rest of the way (which would match our pace of 17-10 since January). Luke deserves his share of the credit for that.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

That will be a tough stretch to duplicate with the loss of Josh Hart. Not having Ingram for a game made it even worse. Too bad Frye never got a chance to play for the Lakers during this streak, it would have been nice to have another offensive weapon in the frontcourt.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
17-7 since the end of that 9 game losing streak.

That's the most impressive bit to me. During that 9 game losing streak you had Lavar questioning Luke in the press saying he had lost the team. They were getting killed in games. Injuries had piled up. It started to look like Luke was going to be gone at the end of the season. And yet they somehow pulled out of that, despite continuing to deal with injuries. They just swept a four game road trip on a trip that featured two playoff teams. And more importantly it seems like the team has really bought in. It's fun to watch.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

David Fizdale who
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Got to give Luke credit being the Lakers coach is the hardest job in the NBA.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

More props to Luke.

On a side note, Clifford in Charlotte might not return. Would love to have him on the staff.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
There's really no reason for Randle to not have played more minutes early in the season. For all we know it was a decision from upper management since Randle was rumored on the trading block. That decision may have cost the team some important wins that they would need if the Lakers barely miss the playoffs. Hopefully we eventually get some sort of behind the scenes look at what prompted that decision. Still, you can't argue with the recent results. Randle has been an absolute beast since the trade deadline and he can relax without all the rumors and just play ball.

Let's say Randle started and Larry got less minutes.
And Larry doesn't become the rpm king.
And Larry doesn't become the sweetener to unload JC.
And we don't get IT, the first Laker this year where you're not anxious when he's at the free throw line.

For the sake of less anxiety, I thank you.
Kidding. But if Julius got more minutes early in the year, does Sid still become the rainmaker?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
epak wrote:
Pace and defense.
I like the focus.

It's really simple basketball, really. I like where we're going.

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers @Lakers

#LakeShow hit 15+ 3-pointers in each stop of this 4-game road tip.

Perception of coaching always looks better when your guys hit shots.
Imagine if the team was hitting early in the season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 524, 525, 526 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 525 of 818
Jump to: