Julius Randle Fans/Critics Study
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has Julius Randle won you over this season?
Didn't have to. I've always been a believer!
29%
 29%  [ 40 ]
I was cautiously optimistic. And he's done it!
33%
 33%  [ 45 ]
I wasn't a fan at first, but dammit I'm on board now!
17%
 17%  [ 24 ]
I like what I'm seeing. Almost there!
13%
 13%  [ 18 ]
Not a fan. Still waiting to change my mind on him.
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Don't like his game. Let him walk!
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 135

Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Julius Randle Fans/Critics Study

Just for fun, I'm curious where people stand on our Bully Ball expert! Answer honestly, please.

Personally, I'd love to see the Lakers bring him back and sign a top talent like Paul George.

As much as people cling to the idea of LeBron, I don't see him deciding until the end of FA, holding all teams hostage.

Last edited by Gomur on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject:

I don't think he's a max player or anything but damn has his play made things hard for the front office. Before the season started if Julius got a 4/60 offer sheet you'd shake his hand and wish him luck. Now with the way he's played you'd have to really think hard about it, it's still a lot of money for Julius but based on his history of improving year on year you'd be tempted to roll the dice with him.

The bully baller is just a physical specimen and relishes contact, and in the regular season that alone makes him really effective, there's nobody that really enjoys guarding Julius that's for sure.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject:

Who's Julie Randle?

Julius Randle's sister?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject:

I've been a supporter since day that very first summer league game where he took over at the end (even though clarkson made the game winning tip in)
JuliusRandall
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject:

The coolest thing about Randle’s game is that he indeed is an old breed of power forward in the 80s mold of Barkley and Malone bullyball. And he makes it work in 2018

Edit: the last 2 plays between Zo and Randle were absolutely “Stockton and Malone”.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject:

JuliusRandall wrote:
The coolest thing about Randle’s game is that he indeed is an old breed of power forward in the 80s mold of Barkley and Malone bullyball. And he makes it work in 2018

Edit: the last 2 plays between Zo and Randle were absolutely “Stockton and Malone”.

Strong like Malone, quick feet like Barkley... free throws starting to look like Stockton
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Who's Julie Randle?

Julius Randle's sister?

It's his twin from Jukanda
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

He's improved tremendously

It all comes down to the salary demands. I would make the cut off around 14 milly.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
He's improved tremendously

It all comes down to the salary demands. I would make the cut off around 14 milly.

Selling him short.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

I picked the third option because it's the closest but it still doesn't quite express my feeling. I wasn't a fan when he was shooting 43% in his first full year after the injury... I still wasn't a fan when he upgraded his average the following year but played with tunnel vision and made too many careless turnovers. Finally this season I saw his benefit when he upgraded his TS up to 60% in spite of his tendency to still make mistakes (he's increased his turnovers) but he's made progress not throwing the ball away and mostly gets them from offensive fouls I believe. I can live with the offensive fouls because it's part of his bully ball/Punisher persona that's like Draymond.

So as long as he can keep putting the ball in at 60%, cutting down the turnovers, learn how to better react to the fast passing from Lonzo and IT (if IT's still here) I will be a fan. He will gain the exclamation point in the third option of the survey if he upgrades either the midrange or gains the three pointer.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

He’s progressed dramatically this season and is becoming a very high impact player. The question is are the Lakers convinced enough to give him the max deal he and his agent will undoubtedly be looking for.

The main thing left that I don’t like is his bad habit of putting the ball on the floor in traffic down in the paint and doing his whirling dervish routine. It’s quite effective at times but I can just see off into the distance that killing us with a horrible turnover in the final minute or two of a playoff game against top notch competition.

The Lakers have to keep him, but at the right price.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

I always believed in Julius talent. My only concern was his health with the foot surgeries. He has worked hard to get to this point. He deserves a nice payday. I am curious as to what the market value will be for him. Money is tight this year.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

Randle's play, the team's recent resurgence and the overall franchise contract situ sure shape up for excitemen this Summer. It feels like it will become a "you bet the club's next two seasons" decision. Reminds me of the Ariza situ, without the back up plan of Artest and without stars proven safely ensconced.

I hope he wants to stay enough to take a generous but non-max contract here, as I figure that's what the Lakers will offer.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

he's turning into a very good player BUT I'm definitely not sold on us handing him out a huge contract which in return kills our ability to sign FAs that could be even better help.
I think history has proven time and again that the traditional PF position is about the last position you should invest big $$$ at. Just look at how rare a high scoring PF has lead a team to a championship?

The notable exceptions where the PF was highest paid or best player on a championship team?
Dirk - extremely good shooter, played more like a wing player
Duncan - extremely good defender and rebounder, played more like a center
KG - extremely good defender and rebounder, was never really a high scorer and had 3.5 all star level players around him

Teams are much better off having their talent at other positions and having a more role player type PF who has very high "off the ball value" with traits like extremely good defense, rebounding, and/or perimeter shooting... something Julius is not
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
Randle's play, the team's recent resurgence and the overall franchise contract situ sure shape up for excitemen this Summer. It feels like it will become a "you bet the club's next two seasons" decision. Reminds me of the Ariza situ, without the back up plan of Artest and without stars proven safely ensconced.

I hope he wants to stay enough to take a generous but non-max contract here, as I figure that's what the Lakers will offer.

I love Randle and I really want the Lakers to keep him.

Lakers are going to be under huge financial pressure a few years down the road when BI, Lonzo, Kuz, and Hart all want to be paid, plus hopefully PG and another incoming star. I hope JR and others are willing to give a hometown discount or else it may be difficult to keep this group together once they hit their peak.

Last edited by markjay on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Who's Julie Randle?

Julius Randle's sister?

Twin sister
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

Never doubted his talent. But I was cautiously optimistic about whether he could be consistent and reliable on an ongoing basis.

He's done that now at 23, and he's got a half decade before his prime.

Anyway, I picked cautiously optimistic.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

I chose No.1 because of a few factors.

1. He's been what one writer wrote about a player years ago: "he's been a man from day one".

2. The work ethic he's displayed, and the progress he's made, since the start of his career. We might not be having this conversation if he hadn't missed his first year.

3. I'm going back to a stretch of games he had last year in which he was dominating just as he is now. As a matter of fact I remember one particular article entitled something like "Julius' emergence makes for interesting Laker future"

4. He's got power, speed, and an ability to pass the ball, as evidenced by a few career triple doubles. Twenty three year old forwards with his skill set don't grow on trees.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

We have to keep Jules.

Randle ( 18 mil as I know its 12 mil cap impact maybe I am wrong), PG13 ( Max) Dedmon( 8-10 mil) IT ( 1 yr 15 mil). Can we do it?

Lets roll:

Lonzo/IT/ Caruso is OK if you ask me
PG13/IT/Hart
Ingram/Hart
Randle/Kuz
Dedmon/Zubac/Bryant
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Who's Julie Randle?

Julius Randle's sister?

Friends w Casey P
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Who's Julie Randle?

Julius Randle's sister?

His birth name.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

Ever since Luke put him into the starting lineup, Julie Randle has been balling like Julie Caesar, I came, I saw, I kicked ass
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

I have no idea what "Julie Randle" people are speaking of. What, no I did not just edit the title.

ingle wrote:
The bully baller is just a physical specimen and relishes contact, and in the regular season that alone makes him really effective, there's nobody that really enjoys guarding Julius that's for sure.

So true. I love the play style he gives us and his demeanor! The guy wasn't afraid to get into it with DeMarcus Cousins last season. Without him we would seem a much softer team.

JuliusRandall wrote:

So true. I've always thought about Draymond comps because of their similar physiques, but there is a bit of Malone in him minus the tiger knee! As Julius continues to expand his game, hopefully he gets that Malone jumper to drop.

32 wrote:
I always believed in Julius talent. My only concern was his health with the foot surgeries. He has worked hard to get to this point. He deserves a nice payday. I am curious as to what the market value will be for him. Money is tight this year.

That worried me at first too, but no longer. The way Julius has played - and how other teams like to "help" us - I wouldn't be surprised if he got a max offer.

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
I chose No.1 because of a few factors.

1. He's been what one writer wrote about a player years ago: "he's been a man from day one".

2. The work ethic he's displayed, and the progress he's made, since the start of his career. We might not be having this conversation if he hadn't missed his first year.

3. I'm going back to a stretch of games he had last year in which he was dominating just as he is now. As a matter of fact I remember one particular article entitled something like "Julius' emergence makes for interesting Laker future"

4. He's got power, speed, and an ability to pass the ball, as evidenced by a few career triple doubles. Twenty three year old forwards with his skill set don't grow on trees.

Love your points.

1. Indeed. Julius has been a king of strong style since Day 1.

2. That was my biggest frustration with Lakers Nation last year. They didn't give Julius the same room for error as D'Angelo or Larry Nance. Forgetting that he wasn't a true 3rd year player.

3. If we sign him, Julius may inherit the Lamar/Pau curse of being traded every season. Lol But you're correct that he's had these runs where you see the player he can become.

4. Whole heartedly agree. The Jordan Clarkson mold can be found pretty routinely. Julius Randle is a rarer commodity.

Wilkes52 wrote:

Nice call back. Although I'd argue that Artest wasn't really the "back up plan" - he was option #1 for the front office as I'm sure his agent gave the Lakers clear signals. I hope that's the case with PG13 and Bron. That way we don't waste time while other teams throw contracts at Randle. PG13 I can see committing quickly if he's of the mind. Drama Queen James on the other hand would stretch things out...

CabinCreek44 wrote:
He’s progressed dramatically this season and is becoming a very high impact player. The question is are the Lakers convinced enough to give him the max deal he and his agent will undoubtedly be looking for.

The Lakers have to keep him, but at the right price.

I went through the list of top free agents this off-season and, I gotta say, Julius has to be Top 5. And I have no doubt other teams will offer the max right away.

LeBron has always seemed unrealistic to me. The guy is so much drama, and I don't see him putting on the big boy pants and venturing out West. I was really hoping for the PG13 and DeMarcus Cousins combo. However, with DeMarcus out, I'm perfectly content with PG and Randle. Considering his talent and age, even a max deal for Randle would be a tradable asset.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

I got to admit, I have been wanting to trade Randle and Clarkson for a couple years now. More so Clarkson than Randle though. And I mostly included Randle as a means for getting someone to take Clarkson and us getting something back for Randle before we cant afford him and his weaknesses get more exposed. I was convinced Clarkson was fools gold and once we got Kuzma I felt we had the perfect opportunity to get rid of these guys. I started feeling different about Randle when je came to camp in tip top shape after and started playing terrific defense. I also noticed a sense of old man type maturity in him, perhaps due to him getting married and having a kid, i dont know, but I feel this some how benefited him, maybe sense of urgency to make money. But then, I felt something different when we were able to trade Clarkson AND NANCE without giving up Randle. This really opened things up on the inside for Randle. Clarkson was a guy that loved to drive to the basket and Nance couldnt shoot so obviously these guys didn't complement Randle well at all. Now with the emergence of Hart and Lonzo being able to shoot, etc. its way better for Randle.
He has tuned in to one of the more well known physically imposing forces in the league. I have been watching the opposing teams broadcast the past 5 games or so and they are all just in awe of him. He is getting more consistent with that jumper and free throws too. Though Im still a bit skeptical since hes doing it in a contract year, what Randle brings is something so rare in today's game and we have and most likely will have enough players to complement him.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

I've been a supporter since day that very first summer league game where he took over at the end (even though clarkson made the game winning tip in)

Me too. I don't watch college/highschool so summer league is where I've first gotten a taste of our rooks. I've been on board since.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: