Will Kobe's OSCAR help or hurt us in free agency?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Will Kobe's OSCAR help or hurt us in free agency?

With Kobe picking up his OSCAR arguable cementing his place as the greatest sportsman of the 21st century to date. How do you think it will affect our free agent prospects going forward.

On one side, Kobe was able to leverage off his status as a Laker to truly make an impact outside of basketball. As hard working and special as Kobe was, I wouldn't say he wouldn't have won this award if he was a lifetime Buck, but I think being a Laker helped him out considerably. And that would have appeal to guys who are focused on more than just basketball.

On the other hand, there's going to be players who will not want to be a follow up act to Kobe. You could be the hardest working, most dominant basketball player in the league winning championships for the team, but you still weren't Kobe. For guys who want to pave their own legacies, that can be a turnoff just like how the Bulls haven't been able to sign anyone relevant after MJ.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject:

I love the creativity that went behind this thought. I actually never thought of it.

It definitely will help. It subconsciously reinforces the the glamour that comes with Los Angeles - something egocentric NBA basketball players crave.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject:

If players don't want to be the best then they don't get to be on the lakers
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject:

There have been HOF Legend Lakers before Kobe. There will be HOF Legend Lakers after Kobe.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject:

Definitely helps the Lebron front. Kobe was able to:

1. Throw shade at the shut up and dribble comment against Lebron

2. Make use of his bigger stage to make a stronger political statement that Lebron definitely took notice of.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:

2. Make use of his bigger stage to make a stronger political statement that Lebron definitely took notice of.

Interesting points. Lebron has been increasingly interested in political activism and California seems to match his views more than Ohio does. Not saying this is the primary factor or even one of the main factors he's considering, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something he's thought about.

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject:

I’m pretty sure LeBron took note.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
There have been HOF Legend Lakers before Kobe. There will be HOF Legend Lakers after Kobe.

av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

If anything, given Brons described interest in film production, it helps.

Bron is smart, he already knows LA is the best place for film connections, but Kobe winning the oscar shows those connections are willing to work with a smart guy, even if he is generally viewed as a former "NBA b ball player" and good things can come from that.

So from that perspective I think it's a good thing.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

And each new HOFer will know and be inspired by the achievements and legend of Kobe Bryant. Just as he was inspired by the Laker greats of yesteryear.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

Yes. Being a Laker means you can automatically win an Oscar.

What Kobe did was great, but he had an idea in his smart head and this was in the making for years before he reitred with his company and all.

The sooner we make a team better, get FO in the right direction, etc. people will come.

I love LA, its my home but I am not a kid anymore where I saw LA/SoCal as perfect. I see the flaws these days. The sooner we are off that narrative, the better the FO can aim at FAs.

The right narrative would be more like, if you have a vision and use your money wisely, surround yourself with the right people you can get a project off and hopefully people notice since we’re next to Hollywood. Get started before your career ends. Plus work your ass off like Kobe did.

That probably doesn’t go off as well in a pitch. Which is why that shouldn’t matter.

Bye.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
twisted wrote:

Interesting points. Lebron has been increasingly interested in political activism and California seems to match his views more than Ohio does. Not saying this is the primary factor or even one of the main factors he's considering, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something he's thought about.

Simply put:

“Lebron, Ohio and Pennsylvania are red states. California, was, is, and will always be a blue state. Decision should be easy.”
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

How many won an Oscar?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

Yeah under normal circumstances I'd wonder how an Oscar could make any difference in a players decision, but these are not normal circumstances.

For reasons already stated well by others in this thread, if there's still any difference to be made, then Kobe's Oscar, and his support of LeBron on stage at the Oscars, are most likely a big plus.

fwiw I wish LeBron success in life after basketball, I admire his efforts off the bb court, and would love to see him collaborate with Kobe if he does have an interest in film making.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

love this thread
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

love this thread

If I really tried....like really tried...I could not have came up with this thread.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

Kobe: "If players don't want to try to make Academy-Award-winning short films after they retire, this ain't the place."
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
Kobe: "If players don't want to try to make Academy-Award-winning short films after they retire, this ain't the place."

nice
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

Rape case against him has been highlighted today more than it has ever been in the last 10 years put together though. So I don't know if it has been entirely positive regarding his legacy. Personally, I give him the benefit of the doubt reading the case and the fact that accuser was caught lying. But many don't look to educate themselves and throw around the rapist world including many in the media. Not to mention the whole trauma due to the case ended up in them losing a child. Hating the witch-hunt against Kobe in the media right now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/04/us/papers-reveal-new-details-in-kobe-bryant-rape-case.html
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Rape case against him has been highlighted today more than it has ever been in the last 10 years put together though. So I don't know if it has been entirely positive regarding his legacy. Personally, I give him the benefit of the doubt reading the case and the fact that accuser was caught lying. But many don't look to educate themselves and throw around the rapist world including many in the media. Not to mention the whole trauma due to the case ended up in them losing a child. Hating the witch-hunt against Kobe in the media right now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/04/us/papers-reveal-new-details-in-kobe-bryant-rape-case.html

People are disgusting and vindictive. That case played out very publicly (15 years ago) and it was settled. Now people want to be mad over some (bleep) he had no control over. He didn't nominate himself for an Oscar. He didn't vote himself a winner. I am so over this metoo/time's up nonsense.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

Nope, shows FA especially star FA the many avenues the city can provide them during and post career.

Kobe is just showing the way.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

Neither. Kobe has no affect on FA. FA's look at the current players. Not former players. Otherwise, Lakers would have all the best FA in the world. Kobe's and Magic's 5 rings won't help them win a championship. Lonzo Ball and Jules would though.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

I'll always love Kobe and thank him for what he did for the Lakers and the game. But to date, his legacy hasn't helped us land any big time FA's and it may have scared some of the more less confident ones away.

I hardly see where an Oscar is going to change any of that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Will Kobe's OSCAR help or hurt us in free agency?

ingle wrote:
With Kobe picking up his OSCAR arguable cementing his place as the greatest sportsman of the 21st century to date. How do you think it will affect our free agent prospects going forward.

On one side, Kobe was able to leverage off his status as a Laker to truly make an impact outside of basketball. As hard working and special as Kobe was, I wouldn't say he wouldn't have won this award if he was a lifetime Buck, but I think being a Laker helped him out considerably. And that would have appeal to guys who are focused on more than just basketball.

On the other hand, there's going to be players who will not want to be a follow up act to Kobe. You could be the hardest working, most dominant basketball player in the league winning championships for the team, but you still weren't Kobe. For guys who want to pave their own legacies, that can be a turnoff just like how the Bulls haven't been able to sign anyone relevant after MJ.

If any player is the bolded, they will never catch heat from laker fans. Kobe was the bolded which is why we loved him so much. The fact he actually had God give abilities to boot was icing on the cake. There's a reason we loved fish. Fish was not as lucky in the dna lottery as kobe was. but he worked just as hard.

The only people that would get the "you aint kobe" stuff are those that are extremely blessed with the talent but do not work as hard as kobe worked or even close. Truth is we may never see another player in OUR lifetimes work that hard. That work ethic on its on, its that of a legend. But we can expect a high level of work ethic from our superstars. some dont want to work THAT hard. so they will be the ones catching the heat.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: